Anyone here from Indiana?

Adisneyfamily

Earning My Ears
We live in New Jersey but are considering moving to Indiana. One of the things we were thinking about is if driving to Disney's HHI resort would still be do-able for us.

We drive to HH and it's quite a trip from NJ, Do any or you drive down to HH or WDW from the Indiana area?

We live in Lafayette, Indiana and have driven to Hilton Head many times over the last 17 years. It is a 13.5 hour drive for us. We usually stop near Knoxville the 1st night and finish the trip the next day.

Go Boilers!

Wow Doc! I never knew you were a fellow Boilermaker!

We live in Martinsville (south of Indianapolis) and have driven to WDW a couple of times. It's about 15 hours for us depending on traffic. We've never driven to HH.

Thanks Doc.

Sounds very similar to NJ. We will be looking in the Indianapolis area but probably north of the city so we may shave a few minutes off your time but not much. We would also take the opportunity to visit new places like Branson and Mackinac Is.

This would be a big move for us, we've never been so far away from the east coast. We've been searching the Internet looking for info on weather, houses, taxes, motor vehicle, schools and more. One of the things that would be important to us is access to DVC and HH in particular since we always fly to WDW anyway.

If there are any area Internet sites that you think might help in our relocation, please send them along.

Rich

I am in Indiana but have not been to HH yet. We always go to WDW. We are in the northeast of Indianapolis. Drop me an E-mail.

<a href="http://www.indianapolis.com">Indianapolis.com</a> would be a good starting place.

The northside has many nice community areas. Noblesville, Carmel and Fishers to name a few.

Enjoy!

Hey Doc....Someone has got to say this so it may as well be me:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOSIERS!!!!!!!!!!

Another Hoosier family here :) We are up in Ft. Wayne, and our trip to HHI last year was much the same as Doc's. We stopped in Knoxville for the night, so we could see the scenic drive through Ashville, NC in the daytime. It was beautiful!!!

We live in Terre Haute, In and drive to WDW at least twice a year.
Its right at 900 miles.

Our daughter lives in Carmel (just north of Indy). At least she has a Carmel address but it is in the Westfield School district, which is what she wanted.

Thanks everyone! I like that link Doc. All this info helps a lot. Moving so far is not an easy thing to do but we being Disney people are adventurous. I guess when you think about it, there is not too much difference from living on my street or yours. As long as they have a Home Depot, CompUSA and Outback Steakhouse I'm all set. So far, looking at the prices compared to NJ, this could be a fun move. Other than having to sell our just built new house and getting adjusted to a new school, this should work out fine.

We have started to look in the Carmel and Fishers area but of course, we have just begun to look. We won't know for sure if this will happen for another few weeks but we need to know what we will be in store for before we accept.

If anyone wishes to, please feel free to email us. rickster57, I can't email you because your email is not listed.

Rich

I live north of Indy in Noblesville. I love the area. Carmel, Fishers (VERY fast growing community), and Noblesville all have great schools and are constantly growing. We've lived here 6 yrs and love it. I'm originally as Hoosier :) Our friends are DVC members (we aren't) and have driven to Hilton Head as well as WDW.

We drove from here to the panhandle 2x this year. Once with a camper. We've driven to WDW 3 out of 4x and are flying in a couple months.

Email me if you would like. Oh, yes, we have Outback, CompUSA and Noblesville is currently building a Home Depot (Lowe's just opened). Hamilton Co was, and may still be, the fastest growing area in the US.

OH, as a side, the school system here has implemented a new "penalty" for taking kids out of school (unexcused absences INCLUDE family vacations). 1%/day off the 9 wks grade for K - 8 (?), and 2% off high school. Fishers has an alternative schedule for classes (all year with 3 wks off at a time). If the schools are important, make sure you check them out. I think they are implementing a penalty as well.

Live in Bloomington Indiana 16 hour drive to WDW but we shorten that to 3 hours,45 minutes to Indianapolis airport then 2 hours on DELTA and BINGO we're at WDW.:earsboy: :wave: :earsgirl:

We're flying out on Delta as well. 45 mins to airport (via limo - surprise for my DD) and 2.5 to MCO ;) How do you like Delta? I reserved via Internet for $120 roundtrip :) I saw in the Indy Star flights to Tampa for $78 roundtrip!

Hi, We live by South Bend In. And we drive to Disney 2 times a year. It is 23 hours straight through. This next trip we are driving 3 hours to Indy and than flying. Can't wait. I really do not mind the drive. Leave around 7 pm and stop for breakfast in Tennesee, lunch in Georgia, and supper in Florida.
Makes for a long trip but hate to waste a day stopping.LOL Someday I am going to do the drive slowly and enjoy the sights (and malls). Guess I will wait until I retire for that.:p

We're southeast Indiana, About an hour's drive south of Indy, about 35 miles outside of Cincinnati Ohio. Our drive to HH takes about 11 - 12 hours, depending on traffic and weather.

The one main difference you'll find between driving I-95 from NJ is that instead of going down the coast, with it's high traffic, you'll be going through the mountains, but with less traffic. So even though the miles aren't so bad, trucks or bad weather in the mountains can slow you down.

I forget the actual mileage to HH, but I think it's around 600. From our home to WDW is right at 950 miles. We can actually do that in less than 15 hours (driving time, excluding stops, gas, food etc)

One thing that's nice is being able to make a triangular route between Indiana, HHI, and WDW. Thus, stopping at HH either on the way down or the way back from WDW. This way you can stay at both resort areas on one vacation. This works out great.

You'll like Indiana, much less crowded than NJ. (I lived in Eatontown for a few years back in the late 70's)

Caskbill - I noticed your screen name - Do you work for the Batesville Casket Co? Just curious

We've been driving the Florida route for many years (tickets were $22 for two days, and E wasn't just a letter of the alphabet). We have driven to HH several times.

For Florida:
We have found that going through Alabama (65) to Montgomery to pick up R 231 to I-10 (Fla) to Lake City ( I-75) to I-4 Orlando to be the fastest and have the least amount of traffic.

For HH:
To Atlanta - to Savannah - to HH.

We are an hour north of Indy and an hour south of Ft.Wayne.

We fly Delta Express direct to Orlando.

Lil: What has been your experience with Delta? I posted a question for people flying Delta because I've heard some bad things about them. We're flying out of Indy in 53 days!

We usually fly ATA or Delta to Orlando. I have never been delayed on Delta. The nice thing about Delta Express is there are several non-stop flights each day. Southwest is another non-stop option. I believe they are adding a second non-stop flight later this year.

Indiana is a great place to live. I spent several weeks in New Jersey this summer for work. A big difference between New Jersey and Indiana is the traffic. Indiana will be a piece of cake.

Good Luck with your move. Email me if you want information about Indiana.

Go Boilers!!!!!

TinkerbellRules-

I am not Lil, but we fly Delta Exp out of INDY when we go too. We have had no delays; nor any bad experiences to speak of. In fact, we usually arrive at our destination (Orlando on the way down and INDY on the way home) about 10-15 minutes earlier than when they say we will which is always nice :) They are my airline of choice from INDY to MCO!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter