August 1 Knights & Lights

So she is taking sneakers. I have been having a hard time convincing Amy to bring sneakers. So this will help our discussion. I have convinced her to bring 1 pair of nice versatile flat shoes for evening. Also, Amy is wanting to bring shorts and jeans to wear during the day and casual dresses for evening. Do you think shorts are o.k. for teenagers to wear. Everything that I have read is that people don't wear shorts in Europe. Is that true for teens? What types of clothes is Lauren bringing?

Cindy

Yes - she got a pair from Endless.com after I got an email from them. They are black and turquoise Kangaroos - she just got them and she said that they are really comfortable. She learned during our Med cruise - that comfortable shoes are a necessity...

I think that shorts are ok for the girls - I plan on wearing khakis, but it will be sort of obvious that we are tourists as we will be following Mickey ears....LOL...

I think that Lauren will bring a few casual dresses and 1 nicer dress. I wasn't going to bring a sport coat - but since she wants to go fancy in Paris - I will just in case....

22 Days!!!!!

Virgil
pirate:

We are on the August 1 Lights and getting very excited.

I wanted to add my 2 cents to your posts.

Comfortable shoes like sneakers are a must. We did the Viva Italia last summer and walked a ton. I assume we will be walking a lot on this tour as well. Wife and daughter wore sandels some but son and I stuck to sneakers as I need the support for my old feet! I will be wearing a pair of sneakers that are the most comfortable I have ever had. Unfortunately I will be giving up "style" for comfort as they are not the most stylish.

Regarding the question on shorts... we will be wearing them most of the time. I have a friend that is in London now and the weather was high 70's and he said shorts are fine. We live in the Norhteast so any weather above 50 is shorts weather for me! Not too worried about looking like tourists since we are! A large group following someone carrying Mickey ear signs is already a dead give away!!

Good luck to you on your battles with your daughters and packing. I have given up the fight with wife and daughter. As long as it fits in one luggage and they can carry it I will leave them alone. I am more concerned with teenage son remembering to pack anything!

Look forward to meeting you all in London. We are a group of 6 (mother-in-law and brother-in-law are included) and we know 2 other families that are going that we met on last years Viva Italia tour. We are arriving a couple days early and touring parts of England and London with friends.

Hope you all have a safe trip.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and experience in this. Shorts and sneakers it is!!! Really looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone.

20 Days until we leave.... I got my order from Magellan today - found some wine skins to put the wine I plan to buy in the luggage.... Lauren is looking forward to tasting some of the French wines...

Virgil
pirate:

20 Days until we leave.... I got my order from Magellan today - found some wine skins to put the wine I plan to buy in the luggage.... Lauren is looking forward to tasting some of the French wines...

Virgil
pirate:

Hi Virgil,

I'd be very interested in knowing how the wine skins work out. Most of the time the bottle doesn't last long enough to transport it home but I'm sure there will be some Italian reds we just don't want to pass up while on our adventure.

Salute!

Hi Virgil,

I'd be very interested in knowing how the wine skins work out. Most of the time the bottle doesn't last long enough to transport it home but I'm sure there will be some Italian reds we just don't want to pass up while on our adventure.

Salute!
I'll let you know how they do - I will probably make it back with a couple of bottles as it will only be me drinking them (Lauren only tasting.....)

Virgil

19 days - working a night shift tonight.... Hopefully the patients will stay at home...

Virgil
pirate:

Another night shift.....

18 days....

Took Lauren to camp for the week...

Virgil
pirate:

17 days....

Been looking at some of the dinner cruises for our night in Paris....

Virgil
pirate:

We leave in 2 weeks! I can't wait. I'm still trying to figure out what to do during free time. I'm going back and forth between not wanting to overplan and not planning enough. I think we've decided on spending time in Covent Garden on Sunday afternoon. Probably do the British Museum the day we arrive (Thursday). We're going to the O2 on Friday to see the King Tut exhibit.

In France, I'm thinking about taking one of our free afternoons to take a trip to Giverny. If anyone has done this, I'm wondering if there is enough time.

Happy planning to all.

We may try and do the King Tut when we get in - not sure....

14 days!!!! We'll be in Philly at this time waiting for our flight!

Virgil
pirate:

13 days until we leave....

14 days until we meet everybody and begin our tour!!

Virgil
pirate:

We are getting close! Whoo hoo! Amy and I have made some decisions regarding our free time. In London, it will be Covent Gardens and Oxford St. as well as the London Eye.

In Paris, we really decided that we want to enjoy Paris and not plan too much so that we can soak it all in. We plan to spend time wandering around in the Marais and St. Germain area one day and another day around the Louvre and at some point go to Galleries Lafayette. In the evening of our free time we may do a river cruise along the Seine river and we would like to climb up to the top of the Arc de Triomphe at night for great pics of the city. That may be overplanning, but the main thing that Amy and I want is to enjoy the city taking it all in without rushing everywhere. Making memories!!

Virgil, you mentioned that you were looking into dinner cruises. My brother and his family did one in May that was really classy and pricy but he highly recommends. It is the Don Juan of Yachts de Paris. Not sure if that is what you are looking for but worth a check. You can google it and get more info. I will warn you that it is pricy.

See you all soon!

Yes - they are definitely pricey. We definitely want to do some of the same things in Paris - and plan on going to the London Eye and probably King Tuts exhibit when we get in to London.

Virgil
pirate:

Virgil, don't you ever stay at home? Too bad Disney doesn't have a "frequent traveler" discount card??!!

I should have known wine would be the topic of discussion.

Have fun! Looking forward to your trip report.

Jodie

Have a great time you guys!! Our fam did Knights and Lights last year - one of our absolute best trips ever. You are going to have a GREAT time. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter