BW making me move my reservation to another Resort for 12/1 due to construction delays???

Same. Booked a 1BR BW view for Dopey for myself and 2 friends. Having a kitchen (for dietary limitations for me and our budget plans) as well as in room laundry and separate living room space is very important to our trip. So nervous now...

We have a Dec 20 checkin and I’m not worried… yet. All the BW view rooms were pulled for phase one (Sept-Nov).

Most are already up and running, it’s just a handful where people got bumped. I expect it to be resolved within a week or two maximum. Or am I misunderstanding what’s going on at BW?

I received a call from member services last night that my 1 bedroom reservation at BW arriving 12/1 (4 days) was not finished due to the construction. They said the room I had is not going to be finished with the rehab by Friday. I had a choice to move to the Tree House (SSR) or to a studio at Yacht Club. I have never had this happen to me in 27 years as a DVC member. BW is my home resort and probably stayed there over 100 times. What's worse is member services will not reimburse me for the difference from the 1 bedroom points (106) to the studio (50). I understand that the rooms are not done, I'm not happy about it but I get it. But to make me move to Yacht club to a studio when I had a reservation for a 1 bedroom with being reimbursed for the difference in points does not seem right. I requested to speak to a sr. manager and today they called and told me the same thing. Either take one of the other resorts with no refund for the point differential or cancel my reservation. Is this allowed in the by-laws? Has any other members ever had this happen to them???

What view was the booked 1 bedroom at BWV? Sorry to hear this. It is really annoying. It might be different going from a studio to a normal hotel room, since the studios only have a kitchenette. However, the 1 bedroom has the laundry and full kitchen. We have a standard view 1 bedroom booked at BWV with our DVC points for the end of December. I don't have to have the kitchen, but we are relying upon the laundry, since we are doing a cruise before, staying for a week, and then staying at Universal for another week, where there is no self-service laundry. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

We have a Dec 20 checkin and I’m not worried… yet. All the BW view rooms were pulled for phase one (Sept-Nov).

Most are already up and running, it’s just a handful where people got bumped. I expect it to be resolved within a week or two maximum. Or am I misunderstanding what’s going on at BW?
Hope it works out for you, I was told all the rooms are out of service for my arrival starting tomorrow. I asked if they would be ready for move in during my 10 night stay and was told their “partner” (the construction company I guess) had indicated that they would not be. By December 20, hopefully rooms will be available. But if I get there tomorrow and there are a lot of people sitting up there on those Boardwalk view units, I will let you know here.

Well I just read this on the thread about the renovations on the resort board. I am going to call DVC and ask what the heck is going on. They lied to me.
Here now (just now) in renovated BW view studio …. Lots of work going on with its associated noise but we really like what they have done with the place ….

Why is BWV any different from how they did BCV and BRV? Those were both done a floor at a time. Why couldn't BWV have been done the same way? I'm just curious of why you are saying they had to take them all offline at the same time.

My guess is that it was easier to do it that way than BCV. There are no views at BCV so floor made sense.,

BWV has grand villas as well so maybe that impacted it? I was responding those more to someone saying they should have taken less rooms out and I just meant that once it was decided to start with BW view rooms, all had to be done at the same time.

Well I just read this on the thread about the renovations on the resort board. I am going to call DVC and ask what the heck is going on. They lied to me.
Here now (just now) in renovated BW view studio …. Lots of work going on with its associated noise but we really like what they have done with the place ….
Thank you for the live update! Have a great trip :smickey: Glad you got your room.

Thank you for the live update! Have a great trip :smickey: Glad you got your room.
Sorry butI didn’t explain myself very well. I am arriving tomorrow. It was another member who checked in to a boardwalk view room today. I am on hold with DVC right now to ask why I was told ALL boardwalk view rooms were out of service.

Sorry butI didn’t explain myself very well. I am arriving tomorrow. It was another member who checked in to a boardwalk view room today. I am on hold with DVC right now to ask why I was told ALL boardwalk view rooms were out of service.
Ooh not fun. Good luck. Hope they figure it out for you.

Why is BWV any different from how they did BCV and BRV? Those were both done a floor at a time. Why couldn't BWV have been done the same way? I'm just curious of why you are saying they had to take them all offline at the same time.
There is actually no difference. Every BWV room and hallway refurb done in the past was done on a floor by floor basis, starting with the fifth floor, doing about half a floor at a time. All the rooms, both standard and pool/garden, down the standard view hallway would be done on one floor at one time, and all the rooms down the boardwalk hallway (and connected pool/garden hallways) would be done. They would complete a half floor, then do the other half, then move down to the next floor. The GVs did not change that schedule because five of the seven GVs are single story, and both the two story GVs have the downstairs on the top fifth floor and the upstairs above that which is not on any floor (there is no second floor entrance to those two GVs). The refurbs thus left open most of the rooms while others were being done, and the completion of the room refurb took eight to nine months and, during that time, all the rooms other than the half floor being worked on were being used for reservations.

Why they decided that this time they would do the boardwalk side (and related pool/garden) on all floors at once in a planned two month period and the standard side in another two month period is unknown. Personally, I thought the choice of changing the refurb to doing it that way was a bad idea, particularly with the decision to take out all the boardwalk view rooms at once during the highest demand time in the year in the fall, and then take out all the standard view rooms the first two months of a year. I also suspected that the designated two-month down time to complete half the entire building at one time was someone's fantasy that would not be realized. That type of schedule has already caused two major problems. The first was the resulting excess demand during the high fall season. During that season standard and boardwalk view rooms, when there is no refurb happening, book full very quickly at 11-months out. That became "extremely" true for the scheduled Sep to late Nov period when boardwalk view was not available to be reserved, because the result was that pool/garden view disappeared right at 11-months out for many of the start dates. The second major problem is the one that exists now. DVC has discovered that actually completing the boardwalk side of the building in two months was, in fact, someone's fantasy that has not been realized.

Last edited:
OP and others who were affected- I am sorry this is happening. It does sound like it is being handled poorly and you are being given a lot of bad information. YC studios don't exist and to get any room at Yacht Club will cost you more points a night than a 1 bedroom. Resort view is 65 points a night on Fri/Sat this time a year, so technically there aren't any points to be refunded. I don't know why they are saying it's 50 points total, where are they getting that from????

In the past we had reservations in a 1 bedroom at Vero beach. We got a call that the room would not be available due to construction. They put us in an Inn Room (Studio) and refunded all our points.

Another time we had a 2-night reservation at Beach Club in a 1 bedroom and when we arrived there was an issue with the plumbing in the room we were to get. There were no other rooms. They put us in a suite at the Yacht club and refunded all our points.

So why this time are they being such jerks?

OP and others who were affected- I am sorry this is happening. It does sound like it is being handled poorly and you are being given a lot of bad information. YC studios don't exist and to get any room at Yacht Club will cost you more points a night than a 1 bedroom. Resort view is 65 points a night on Fri/Sat this time a year, so technically there aren't any points to be refunded. I don't know why they are saying it's 50 points total, where are they getting that from????
You're missing a point here - the OP didn't reserve a hotel room via DVC, they reserved a DVC room, and a 1BR at that. So if they're being moved to a hotel room (which is a downgrade since it doesn't have the amenities of the DVC room they reserved), they shouldn't be charged more points. In fact they deserve a points refund.

You're missing a point here - the OP didn't reserve a hotel room via DVC, they reserved a DVC room, and a 1BR at that. So if they're being moved to a hotel room (which is a downgrade since it doesn't have the amenities of the DVC room they reserved), they shouldn't be charged more points. In fact they deserve a points refund.
I get the point- people have been saying they should refund the difference- the rooms are actually more points. I don't understand that the OP was told it was 50 points total- where did DVC get that from? I agree that a 1 bedroom is way better. They should refund the points because it's the right thing to do.

Any update after speaking with DVC?

I get the point- people have been saying they should refund the difference- the rooms are actually more points. I don't understand that the OP was told it was 50 points total- where did DVC get that from? I agree that a 1 bedroom is way better. They should refund the points because it's the right thing to do.
I think what people are saying is that a YC hotel room is more comparable to a studio than a 1 bedroom, so therefore they should refund the difference in points between the two.

Any update after speaking with DVC?
After a 2 hour call ( had issues too with my Disney experience account) a DVC rep said that they have been calling people since before thanksgiving, sounded like many calls per day. They are notified by the resort how many people and who to call. Sounds like it maybe happens when they are assigning rooms. The DVC rep offered to call the resort to find out how many rooms are in service. She said the resort told her there are 25 BW rooms and only 4 were in inventory yesterday. Some of those could have been attached to a 1 bedroom for a 2 bedroom lock off reservation. I asked and my rep said my length of stay could be a factor. I wish I hadn’t booked such a long stay. I know I will be disappointed not to have boardwalk view.

I got the dreaded call this morning. As my One-Bedroom Boardwalk-View stay is the back half of a split-stay, I was offered to either stay at Copper Creek for the whole trip, for no additional points, or to be moved to a Garden/Pool View at Boardwalk and receive a $150.00 room credit. As all of my activities and dining reservations are centered on Crescent Lake for the second half of the trip, I chose to stay at Boardwalk and lose the Boardwalk view. I am bummed, of course, because I was looking forward to the newly refurbished room, and I've never managed a Boardwalk view before.

As to the delay, the one cause could be the kitchen cabinetry. Without the sink unit, in particular, none of the other trades can complete their work--the plumbers, the electricians, the countertop and tile folks, even the flooring people might be delayed. Since the baths in the studios are largely similar to the one bedrooms, except for the jetted tub replacement, its likely the kitchens that are the cause of the delay.

Last edited:
We got the call last night. We have a BW view studio and are being moved to a P/G one-bedroom. She sounded like this was great news for us, but frankly we don't need the one bedroom and would much rather have our BW view that we've had booked for 11 months. We asked if there was a water view room on the Inn side but she said no. We want to be at the BW so I didn't ask if anything else was available. I would be very unhappy if we had booked a one-bedroom and got moved to a hotel room without a point refund. That just seems crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter