Canadian Visitors to DLR/DCL: Travel Advisory for the USA Imminent???

Going to DLR on the 19th. For us, a LONG trip from Ontario.

I would cancel if AirCanada refunded or offered credit for our tickets.

Unfortunately, they are only doing this for those who booked after March 4th.

I'm on hold with them as I type this for last last 2 hours and 1 minute, seeing if there's another option.

Nothing so far...

Thanks...

I'm on hold with them as I type this for last last 2 hours and 1 minute, seeing if there's another option.

Nothing so far...

Thanks...
Seems backwards of them to only offer credit to those who booked _after_ it was a known concern? Shouldn't it be the the other way around? Sorry to hear you're having issues. The last thing we need when making these choices is financial stress and time wasted on the phone.

Seems backwards of them to only offer credit to those who booked _after_ it was a known concern? Shouldn't it be the the other way around? Sorry to hear you're having issues. The last thing we need when making these choices is financial stress and time wasted on the phone.

Literally what I was about to mention. So odd.

I know, so weird (and it does seem unfair to me)...
By the way, 2 hours and twenty-seven minutes on hold now.
In AirCanada's defence, it did warn me the wait time was over 2 hours at the beginning of the call.

Nothing so far...

Thanks...
Same, heading there in a couple of days and my stomach is in knots. We booked our flight through Air Miles in July and our DL tickets direct a few months ago. If I lose one night in hotel cost, that sucks, but i'm nervous about everything else and also have been looking forward to this trip for a long time.

We can use this thread as our Canadian therapy channel, reassuring each other that it'll be fine, or telling tales of smuggling a sick child over the border, or crying together if none of us make it down there...

American and United Airlines are doing the same thing--you only get to rebook if you bought tickets after March 5. So, if you planned ahead like most people, and bought tickets awhile ago, you get screwed over and lose all your money or pay a big change fee.
I read an article that some "millenials" are cashing in on the low fares right now to book trips and explore the world! 🤷‍♀️

Yes, WestJet seemed to update this morning after the Pandemic announcement. I am debating now on our early-April trip. The flight cancel fee was our only non-refundable component.

American and United Airlines are doing the same thing--you only get to rebook if you bought tickets after March 5. So, if you planned ahead like most people, and bought tickets awhile ago, you get screwed over and lose all your money or pay a big change fee.
I read an article that some "millenials" are cashing in on the low fares right now to book trips and explore the world! 🤷‍♀️

Was that the one with the "if I die, I die" in the title :rotfl2: ?

I get this mindset. And if it wasn't for my mom who is in the concern age range, I would be taking advantage of a lot more.

*Slowly raises hand*

I am trying to book a flight to go home to Vegas next month since flights are way under $100 each way 🤷🏾‍♀️ Also one of my friends and her husband in Phoenix just adopted a baby so I may also visit them...

If we didn't have the jobs we do and such for possible quarantine concerns, we would be right there booking trips too.

I'm seriously torn here. I wonder if changing flights booked with air miles is possible.

So glad WestJet is now allowing cancellations for previous bookings with no cancellation fees. Received 100% refund to my WestJet travel bank this afternoon, which I will definitely use in the next 12 months before it expires. I have asthma and high blood pressure (both coronavirus risk factors), so even though Disneyland is my favorite place on earth, I think a crowded park is the last place I should be in the immediate future. I saw an ABC Nightly News segment the last couple of nights that a 32 year-old man with no underlying health conditions is now quite ill with reduced lung capacity after attending a conference in New York, so my advice is don't take any unnecessary risks for the time being. Even with all the warnings, there are still people walking around and coughing into the air without any attempt to cover it. I know more often than not it would just be a cold or flu, but Disneyland can be crowded and no matter how clean they keep things I think there is elevated risk. Hope everyone stays healthy!

The Travel Advisory may not seem like a big deal, but it's actually HUGE. What it means is that Canadians will not have any travel health benefits if they're hospitalized and/or quarantined because of a real or suspected case(s).

I'm not sure if US advisories affect travel insurance to foreign countries in the same way as it affects us Canadians, but i would suspect they do.
The answer in the U.S. is far more complicated than in Canada because we have many different insurance companies, each with their own set of rules.

For example, my health care benefits through my insurance company cover me wherever I travel, although in some countries, I have to pay out of pocket up front and they will reimburse me and it doesn't matter if there was a travel advisory or not. And this isn't even travel insurance.

As for the U.S. having 1,000 cases, that is quite a bit different than Italy having 1,000 cases. The U.S. has 331 million people while Italy has about 60.4 million. So percentage wise it is a lot lower in the U.S. than Italy. Another factor to look at is land size and how spread out everything is in the U.S. compared to Italy.

As for Disneyland or any major theme park closing, it is highly unlikely, the So. Cal economy depends far too much on them and if the So. cal economy dies, so does California's, then the nation's, then the world's. And given all of the sporting events, concerts, conferences, business travel, etc. That are getting canceled, we will become even more dependent on all things tourist. That isn't to say that there won't be adjustments made, there absolutely will be. For example, I could see Finding Nemo Submarines closing until this blows over, as like cruise ships, those are mobile Petri dishes, only worse since they arent constantly being sanitized like cruise ships are. I could also see further cuts to performance of the Frozen Show since it is indoors and houses a lot of people at once. But a total shutdown is highly unlikely. Not to mention, Disney would have major issues in the U.S. with shutting down the parks due to how many passholders are on payment plans. Would Disney continue to charge them while the parks are closed? Would they extend the expiration dates of their passes? (Although that one applies to all passholders)

So while Disney was able to close foreign parks, the domestic parks a different animal and are highly.unlikely.to be closed. Heck, they didn't close Disneyland when there was a measles outbreak that started at Disneyland.

You will see more hand sanitizers, possibly even reminders about hand washing and such and as I said there may be some other adjustments, but a total closure is doubtful.

I'm seriously torn here. I wonder if changing flights booked with air miles is possible.
Probably depends on the airline, but most airlines are allowing changes and cancellations right now. JetBlue for example is allowing changes and cancellations no matter how the flight was booked, anything paid out of pocket that is to be refunded will.only be refunded in the form of a travel bank credit though.

Who knows maybe when all is said and done, airlines will realize that they can make money without the change fees and modify their policies permanently. One can dream.

If it were me traveling to the United States from Canada to go to Disney. I would cancel at this point. You probably wouldnt get it but the health bills involved if you do could be catastrophic. Really, you could lose everything. It just isnt worth the risk right now unless you can afford to be quarantined in a hospital for several weeks it just isnt worth the risk in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter