Cancelled Reservation

I would take a money order from her. That way you know its good.

Paypal was useless to me once during problem, not involving DVC. I have no faith in them whatsoever.

I left one message, and my DH left another message on the contact # we had for the member. The reason we got for no response was the same reason we got for no responses to the emails... the family situation that took her off grid for weeks.

Hi Rachel,

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I know I'm late in the game to chime in but "lessor" is full of #@*&. My Mom was seriously ill from October to December last year, she died in December. I still worked, commuted, took my kid to gymnastics and spent every free moment at the hospital, taking her to doctors', etc. I was never off the grid to the point that your lessor is.

My bet is your ressie was cancelled 'cause they're no longer in good standing with DVC and they obviously now, they have no money to refund you. I would bet that is the case and now she is avoiding you. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I have been scammed out of money via my Paypal twice. Somehow someone got a hold of my paypal password and on the second case my ebay information as well. Funny thing is that I am very careful and do not respond to phishing e-mails.

The bottom line is there is great risk when renting points. I have rented 3 times without incident, but I know there is always risk. The biggest risk is that it may cost far more than you've lost if someone were to fail to refund you or attempt to scam you.

We can all argue all day long whether the lessor in this case was scamming or just plain irresponsible, but in the end it is just chalked up to no matter how careful one is, you are still at the mercy of lessor's character and financial stability. Risky business in these current economic times. Does that mean I won't rent??? Nope! I love staying at a deluxe resort at a moderate price. However, I know the risk and hope that it never comes down to that.

I currently have a reservation for 8 nights at BWV in September. My lessor has been fantastic throughout the process having held my money since January. My reservation is still there and I'm sure it will still be there in September. But when I read stories like Rachel's it twists my gut a little bit. Makes me tempted to use David next time even though it will cost me more.

Rachel I hope that you get your money back and I hope that even if you don't you'll still be able to go on your Dis Vacation. I'm no longer a big fan of Paypal, but don't know that any other form of payment would have you in a better position. I hope you come out of this with a great vacation even if you are out $610. Good luck!

... NO WAY would I give this scammer my bank account and routing numbers! :scared1: Any crook with a computer and access to account/routing numbers could whip up a whole batch of fake checks.
There is a big difference between theoretical fear and reality.

Even IF the owner went to Office Depot and bought some check writing software...even IF they then created hundreds of counterfeit checks with the OP's bank account numbers on them (which would be brain-dead stupid, BTW)...then what? Creating phony checks is easy -- I've printed hundreds (for training purposes!).

The problem with counterfeit checks is not making them, it's negotiating them. Unless you can turn the fake paper into money, you've accomplished nothing -- and negotiating them is very difficult and risky. If you think someone can just write a phony check and go cash it, you're badly mistaken.

And even IF the owner were able to write checks on OPs account, OP's actual liability would be almost zero. All they'd have to do is notify their bank that the checks were counterfeit and their exposure would be nil.

I think the REAL issue here is what suemom2kay said in her very sensible post above -- the owner probably doesn't have the money to make the refund. That is one of the biggest risks in renting -- times change, people's financial situations change over the course of several months between payment and arrival at WDW.

The problem for that owner is that with their string of promises of repayment (and especially their actual claims that they have repaid when they really have NOT), they are now getting close to creating criminal exposure for themselves.

I don't believe the owner set out to defraud Rachel (and neither does Rachel), but their actions lately are potentially giving them a lot more problems than they may realize. Intent to commit a crime doesn't have to be present from the start -- if it occurs anywhere in the chain of events, the owner could be charged criminally.

As I said way early in this thread, a course of conduct is one of the important ways to establish the intent that criminal fraud is involved...and this owner has had a very disappointing course of conduct since the problem arose.

There is a big difference between theoretical fear and reality.

I don't believe the owner set out to defraud Rachel (and neither does Rachel), but their actions lately are potentially giving them a lot more problems than they may realize. Intent to commit a crime doesn't have to be present from the start -- if it occurs anywhere in the chain of events, the owner could be charged criminally.

As I said way early in this thread, a course of conduct is one of the important ways to establish the intent that criminal fraud is involved...and this owner has had a very disappointing course of conduct since the problem arose.

Spot on!:thumbsup2

Gah! I'm getting extremely irritated on your behalf... !!!
I keep checking in on this thread hoping to see final resolution.

What is wrong with this lady? I'm so glad the mods have banned her from R/T board.

So, a payment for the full balance was made by Paypal to the credit card account I used to pay the member and funds were pulled from the member's valid bank account. Yet, Paypal did stipulate that her bank still has until Friday to pull the funds back. I'm ALMOST home free! Once Monday morning rolls around, the refund will be good and 100% mine, without any risk of the funds being pulled back. Cross your fingers for me!

So, a payment for the full balance was made by Paypal to the credit card account I used to pay the member and funds were pulled from the member's valid bank account. Yet, Paypal did stipulate that her bank still has until Friday to pull the funds back. I'm ALMOST home free! Once Monday morning rolls around, the refund will be good and 100% mine, without any risk of the funds being pulled back. Cross your fingers for me!

Definitely crossing my fingers (and toes and eyes) for you! What a royal pain and disappointment this whole thing must have been for you!

Monday morning will be a Bank Holiday (4th of July) and all banks are closed in the U.S. I am hoping this will be the final chapter of your story..Good luck!

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed here for you! pixiedust:

Hope this finally works out for you:) You have been an example of patience.

:cheer2: crossing fingers, and applauding your patience throughout this process, Rachel.

Just a few more days until you are home free! Praying that this is the final chapter in this saga for you!!!! :flower3:

Whew! I have learned a lot from this thread. If only all people lived according to the Golden Rule...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter