Cancelled Reservation

Wow - I just read this whole thread, and OP - I am so sorry to hear the troubles you had! Believe in good karma - the dignity that you kept in this transaction will bring good things to you!!! Kudos!!!

Really hope everything works for you - your magical Disney vacation is right around the corner waiting for you!!!

Anyone who thinks this was not a total 100% scam must be living on cloud cuckoo land.

Family problems?....blah blah. Who doesn't have family problems? So What?
Inefficient?......yea right, no inefficiency before money paid.
Husband cancelled ressi?.....Wasn't me boss! It was silly husband, not my fault
Inactive email?.......very convenient
Doesn't fully understand DVC procedures?.......What? Make a ressi by phone? You're kidding right?
No signs of a scam?......What about every sign of a scam?
Trying to resolve it?.........No, I dont think so. just pay the fr****in money

Lets be absolutely clear. If Rachel had not checked her ressi and taken steps, do you think she would be getting either a refund or a stay in WDW?

I really hope you get sorted out Rachel and well done on your patience and perserverance and great dignity in handling this awful situation

But, I really think this renter should be named.
If the contract had gone great, you had a wonderful time in the World and your experience with the renter was super and stress free there would be no problem in naming and recommending her. I dont see why the same should not apply when you have had such a horrible time.

Anyway you have the thoughts and best wishes from me and my family. Good luck. :grouphug:

If the contract had gone great, you had a wonderful time in the World and your experience with the renter was super and stress free there would be no problem in naming and recommending her. I dont see why the same should not apply when you have had such a horrible time.
I don't think names should be given. After all, you are talking about someone who has no shred of decency, and they would have no qualms at all with filing suit against DIS boards. I think it's enough that they be banned....and not just from the rent trade board.

Anyone who thinks this was not a total 100% scam must be living on cloud cuckoo land.

Family problems?....blah blah. Who doesn't have family problems? So What?
Inefficient?......yea right, no inefficiency before money paid.
Husband cancelled ressi?.....Wasn't me boss! It was silly husband, not my fault
Inactive email?.......very convenient
Doesn't fully understand DVC procedures?.......What? Make a ressi by phone? You're kidding right?
No signs of a scam?......What about every sign of a scam?
Trying to resolve it?.........No, I dont think so. just pay the fr****in money

Lets be absolutely clear. If Rachel had not checked her ressi and taken steps, do you think she would be getting either a refund or a stay in WDW?

I really hope you get sorted out Rachel and well done on your patience and perserverance and great dignity in handling this awful situation

Anyway you have the thoughts and best wishes from me and my family. Good luck. :grouphug:
More likely that they started out intending to do the right thing then something happened along the way.

I would be inappropriate to name the person on the board as we really don't have the whole story It's also against the DIS rules as I understand them. I'm sure the OP would be happy to name the person privately.

More likely that they started out intending to do the right thing then something happened along the way.

I would be inappropriate to name the person on the board as we really don't have the whole story It's also against the DIS rules as I understand them. I'm sure the OP would be happy to name the person privately.

More likely that they were scamming. Everything I have read in this thread indicates that the renter was trying to pull a fast one. They only moved when Paypal got involved and even then slowly and grudginly.

I think it would be VERY appropriate that they were named. (By named I mean the Dis user name they used)

More likely that they were scamming. Everything I have read in this thread indicates that the renter was trying to pull a fast one. They only moved when Paypal got involved and even then slowly and grudginly.

I think it would be VERY appropriate that they were named. (By named I mean the Dis user name they used)
I don't think we know and I think that it's likely good intentions gone bad but I can see the other interpretation.

That is not up for discussion. We will not publish this name, any more than we publish a list of screen names of those receiving board infractions and warnings.

And to save Rachel what might be a lot of hassle: I'm the OP of the "Sad Story" scamming thread (from 2006) that's linked in one of Doc's stickies on the R/T board...when I was living thru my "sad story," the DIS mods were so wonderful to me...I still celebrate them for their kindness and responsiveness...

BUT, they not only asked me not to post the name of the scammer, they asked me not to ID the person in response to PMs, either...I don't remember the reason (probably because the fact that they asked was good enough for me!)...

So, when people PM'ed me about whether their renter was "my scammer," I always replied that I'd confirm or deny a name they gave me, but that I would not give out a name...

I suspect (altho I don't know) Rachel will be living with the same request/restriction...

So...if anyone "must" PM Rachel to double-check on their own renter, be aware that there's a high degree of probability that all she'll be able to tell you is if the person you're checking is or is not the person with whom she's having her problems...

FWIW: I agree about the inappropriateness of "naming names" in a public forum. We don't know the other side of the story, and we're being awfully quick to judge here. Maybe our harsh judgments are justified. But then again, maybe they're not. I for one can think of any number of reasons that would not excuse this renter's behavior, and wouldn't justify withdrawing the ban from the R/T board, but would make me think it's not malicious or "scamming." Bottom line is I don't know why this renter is behaving as she is, and all that really matters is that Rachel gets her money back (and another reservation, if possible)...anything beyond that is up to the DIS...

Happy Fourth everyone...

I agree, and in fact, I don't think Rachel thinks the owner set out to rip her off.

I'm sure the OP would be happy to name the person privately.
I could be wrong - I often am :rolleyes: - but I believe THAT would be against the DIS rules as well.

I applaud the DIS for not naming names. For one Renting is a Private transaction between two parties.

If anyone renting does not understand what that can involve, I suggest you stick with renting from Disney.

So, when people PM'ed me about whether their renter was "my scammer," I always replied that I'd confirm or deny a name they gave me, but that I would not give out a name...
And we did that with the prior approval of Webmaster Doc in Dani and Stacey's case.

I don't know about Dani, but I handled several dozen of those inquiries during the Sad Story case under those guidelines. Only three of them were Dani's crook, and all were after-the-fact -- two people who had already been ripped off (one of them 2-3 years prior), and one who had been a target but had walked away from the transaction because it didn't "feel right."
FWIW: I agree about the inappropriateness of "naming names" in a public forum. We don't know the other side of the story, and we're being awfully quick to judge here. Maybe our harsh judgments are justified. But then again, maybe they're not. I for one can think of any number of reasons that would not excuse this renter's behavior, and wouldn't justify withdrawing the ban from the R/T board, but would make me think it's not malicious or "scamming."
This is the wisdom of someone who has been there, done that and knows what they are talking about.

Hopefully, Rachel will come on here later tonight and tell us the final stage of her refund went through okay and this situation is resolved.

Well, the drama officially ended today! :cool1: The 5 business days her bank had to withdraw the money has passed now that the banks are closed. The money's mine, and I'm so relieved! Sadly, its too late to go on our dream disney vacation... I don't want to settle for just any resort... I'm stubborn like that! So instead, the hubby and I are going on another vacation this year and we'll tackle Disney next Christmas! I think a trip to Ireland is a worthy substitute :cloud9:

As far as the name of the member... if the mods are okay with it, I have no problem with a 'yes' or 'no' in response to people who are inquiring about members they're renting from. But I definitely won't be posting the member's name on any public forum. I have only told Webmaster Doc who she is so that he could attempt to reach her as well. In the end, she gave me my money back... whether it was the lawyer threat that worked or not I don't know, and at this point I don't care.

To everyone who has posted support, advice, and shared in my moments of angst, THANK YOU! :upsidedow I am grateful to you guys for giving me a forum to voice my situation, and for keeping my faith in the rental process alive! I wish each of you a Happy 4th of July, and many happy Disney memories to come! :wizard:

Congratulations! Have a great time in Ireland (quite a consolation prize, if you ask me!) and enjoy your Disney Christmas whenever you get it.

I am glad that you got your money back. If the person in question was a scammer, they are a poor one. IMHO they are someone who has problems and made some seemly poor decisions.

A true scammer would never let you get your money back, and they would have taken more. Fake names, closed or fake banking accounts, getting you to wire the money, collecting a credit card number from you for payment. There are numerous ways to take advantage of someone and it really is pretty easy.

:earsboy: Bill

:thumbsup2 Good news! Have fun in Ireland (I know you will).

Glad to hear your good news! Enjoy your trip to Ireland! :thumbsup2

Woohoo! Perhaps you were meant to go to Ireland all along. I love happy endings! You deserve an extra special vacation. :cool1:

good thing you was diligent. i can't imagine showing up with

no place to stay during the christmas season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter