Cancelled Reservation

You won't believe this... the nightmare continues. The member's bank declined the Paypal transfer due to insufficient funds. I STILL don't have my money back, and I can't begin to think about another vacation as long as I don't have that money back! I think I've been pretty patient so far, but I'm starting to get angry at this point. Paypal is going to contact the seller and try re-running the payment once there's been some communication, but there's only so much they can do if she has no money in the bank account connected with Paypal. BLAST, so close to a resolution!!

You won't believe this... the nightmare continues. The member's bank declined the Paypal transfer due to insufficient funds. I STILL don't have my money back, and I can't begin to think about another vacation as long as I don't have that money back! I think I've been pretty patient so far, but I'm starting to get angry at this point. Paypal is going to contact the seller and try re-running the payment once there's been some communication, but there's only so much they can do if she has no money in the bank account connected with Paypal. BLAST, so close to a resolution!!

DISLIKE. :mad:

Sorry, I didn't want to mention that risk and rain on the parade. I knew from my disputes that Paypal handled that they could only return money if they could get it from the ebay seller. I was always lucky and got my money.

Good luck, but I think it is looking less and less like you'll actually ever see your money again.

:sad2: Wow, this rentor is really racking up her negative points. So sad she doesn't have any follow-thru to make this right. Doesn't Paypal require people to have 2 accounts on file in case one doesn't work? (I've only used it a few times to buy off EBay and not recently, so don't remember all the details). If 2 accounts are listed anybody know if they will try to get the refund out of the other account? Glad Paypal is on Rachel's side, hope they have the magic to get the money back :wizard:.
Otherwise there's probably a bunch of court TV shows that would take your case :happytv: (and all of the DIS'ers will be watching Rachel win)!

Oh no!!! :(
Did you pay using your CC? If you did, is it possible to file through your cc as well?
I've never claimed anything through CC before so I apologize if this makes no sense in your situation.
I hope PP could get the $ somehow. I thought PP was right in saying you need 2 accts in there. I remembered having to provide at least 2. Doesn't mean that either of them work but there's still a chance.
So sorry :(

I was afraid of this...I hope it can still be resolved for you. Have you reported this person to the mods? I hope in the very least you can get her banned from the DIS.

I would file a dispute with your credit card company. I've had to do this in the past and my cc company sent me a letter to sign and return then they reversed the charges. I'd sure like to know if she (the DVC owner) is still on the boards trying to rerent those points! Where did Rachel find this woman? Was it on these boards?

I said it earlier in this thread, but I'm going to reiterate it here. PLEASE contact one of the moderators and make sure they know the board identity of this person. At the very least they can maybe prevent him/her from posting on the Rent Trade board again.

I said it earlier in this thread, but I'm going to reiterate it here. PLEASE contact one of the moderators and make sure they know the board identity of this person. At the very least they can maybe prevent him/her from posting on the Rent Trade board again.

This is going to be long... forgive me while I rant. I think I've earned one 'rant post' after this drama. One of the mods does know the identity of this member... and I'm discovering brand new limits to my patience with this lady! I sent her the first STERN email I've sent since I've been dealing with her. Every message and every email until now has been nothing short of patient and understanding. When I got the 'e-check bounced' message from Paypal, my tolerance switched off. Here's what I sent her:

"I have been as patient as possible throughout this situation. Just as you are busy, so am I and so is my family... and following up on my money on a day-to-day basis is the last thing I want to have to think about. The e-check you wrote me for $610.00 from Paypal has now bounced. I was contacted by Paypal today to let me know that they would try again in 3-5 days, which results in an additional 5 day delay while they verify availability of the funds. Right now, you are holding my money against your word and against the contract you agreed to. Due to the miscommunication between you and your husband I have effectively been not only cancelled out of a planned vacation, but you are still holding my money illegally. I still want to believe that no ill will is intended by you in this situation, but you truly don't understand the level of concern and frustration you are causing us. I need to hear back from you asap with a specific expectation on when I can expect my money back. If I don't hear from you by the end of this week with an actual answer, I will be talking with the attorneys we have in our family and amongst our friends to find a way to rectify this situation once and for all."

And my jaw dropped when I got this response back from her:

"I have been very polite, as well and I don't appreciate the assumptions. When you asked to postpone your initial payment, I was fine with it, rather than cancel the reservation. I understand you have been inconvenienced and will fix whatever the problem is. Paypal has just taken them funds from my account and this is what I have from received, from them as of today." She followed this pleasant verbiage with a screenshot of her paypal account showing the 2nd $610.00 refund attempt.

Maybe I should have stopped myself, but I did send her a response back. It was short, I stayed polite, but I did stick up for myself:
"No assumptions have been made on my part other than to, as I said, believe that you are not intending to cause us any distress despite how painfully slow this process has been. The payment I made to you was in 100% agreement with the contract you agreed to, and I have every email between us to prove it, along with the signed and initialed contract document. I have not violated a word of that document in any form or fashion. If you were uncomfortable with the date of payment (which, by the way, was only 8 days after I received your faxed confirmation), then it would have been better for both of us if you didn't sign the contract. If my refund payment goes through this time, we can both rest assured in knowing this deal is finally resolved."

She sent a response back saying she has had a bad day and didn't mean to be so harsh. I won't be responding to any more emails... I've already stooped to lower levels by responding out of frustration, so instead I quit. :snooty:

I would file a dispute with your credit card company. I've had to do this in the past and my cc company sent me a letter to sign and return then they reversed the charges. I'd sure like to know if she (the DVC owner) is still on the boards trying to rerent those points! Where did Rachel find this woman? Was it on these boards?

Yes, I found her on these boards... but I'm realizing that this is an extremely rare case based on other people's successful experiences. I still don't think this person is meaning to be a jerk... they're just unbelievably inefficient in managing their rentals and their finances. It is just a sorry situation for both parties. I'm going to give Paypal a chance to see this 2nd refund attempt go through... after that, I'll try the credit card co.

Rachel you are being a whole lot nicer and more patient that I could ever be. It's amazing to me how the guilty get indignant when they get caught. I hope your refund goes thru this time. Please come back and let us all know the outcome. It's really sad how many people are out there trying to scam and cheat honest folks.

One of the mods does know the identity of this member...

Now the question begs, can the mods do anything to lock her account so it will be harder for her to do this again? I know you can create a new id but the lack of posts and the new join date will be a negative for her/them.

John

Rachel, the fact that she responded to your email may end up working in your favor if you need to take this up with your CC company. She as much admitted her fault in this in her email, even though she believes that it is you who is being unreasonable at this time:confused3:confused3:confused3 you have been more than willing to give the benifit of the doubt, time to fix the issue though paypal ect. Qudo's to your nature and attitude during this whole mess:cheer2::thumbsup2:cheer2::thumbsup2 Here's hoping PayPal can finally end this obvious ordeal you and your family has been going through:wizard::wizard::wizard:

Now the question begs, can the mods do anything to lock her account so it will be harder for her to do this again? I know you can create a new id but the lack of posts and the new join date will be a negative for her/them.

John
I'm not a mod and certainly don't speak for the mods, but those of us who have been here a while can tell you what the posture has been in the past.

Bottom line: a DVC rental via the DIS Rent/Trade board is a private transaction between two individuals. Neither the DIS nor DVC are going to get in the middle of it.

Generally, the mods enforce DIS posting guidelines, and those guidelines only. Also generally, the DIS does not get involved in difficulties between members over DVC rentals or anything else.

With regard to DVC rentals specifically, the DIS provides a FREE service to our members -- not a rating agency, regulatory body, policing organization or anything of that sort. The DIS publishes extensive information, cautions, and helpful tips in the Stickies on the Rent/Trade Board. They have put far more effort into those protections than probably any other website on the Internet -- certainly more than anyone offering a FREE rental listing service. Rental listings are published only after they are reviewed by the mods and found to be in compliance with established policies.

After that, DIS policies make it quite clear that the transaction is strictly between owner and renter. The DIS is not a party to the transaction, receives no fee for the service, and therefore generally stays out of the very rare disputes/problems. It's also important to understand that the mods are volunteers donating their own personal time to make the DIS what it is.

Owners and renters who are not satisfied with the DIS's FREE service have the option of advertising in many other venues...and many do.

All that said, I have suggested (as have many others) that Rachel provide all of the info she has on this owner to the mods. That information will help the mods spot any patterns in problematic rentals to further protect the community here.

That does NOT mean the DIS will take any action against the owner. In fact taking action against them might be both unwarranted and counterproductive.

My advice is that we let the mods be mods -- and not expect them to play Superheros by jumping in to try to save the day. That's unrealistic and unfair to the mods.

While I know this is picky, she's also charging me for the Paypal fees to give me my refund. My hubby keeps telling me not to get agitated over $18.00... but it goes to show the character involved here.

But on a HUGE positive note, DISboards has removed her access to the Rent/Trade forum as a result of her total lack of communication with them. I think its awesome that they've done what they can do protect future renters, so HUGE kudos to the Mods for being amazing!

While I know this is picky, she's also charging me for the Paypal fees to give me my refund. My hubby keeps telling me not to get agitated over $18.00... but it goes to show the character involved here.

But on a HUGE positive note, DISboards has removed her access to the Rent/Trade forum as a result of her total lack of communication with them. I think its awesome that they've done what they can do protect future renters, so HUGE kudos to the Mods for being amazing!
If it's done as a refund through paypal rather than just a new transaction, my understanding is their original fees will be waived as well.

She doesn't pay paypal fees to click the 'refund' button. All fees are gone when she does that. I'd be agitated too and give her an earful.

I am still holding out hope for you!! You have been so respectful and patient through this and much more forgiving then I ever could have been. Grrrrrr! I do not know how someone could ever sleep at night when they are trying to scam someone out of their Disney vacation. I am so hopeful paypal gets yourmoney back- and wish they would fine her a big sum of money. Karma will get her someday!!

This HAG needs to be taught a serious lesson, IMO!! :mad:

I don't care what kind of "bad day" she's had, or how often. I am NOT giving her the benefit of the doubt - IMO she set out to be fraudulent and is still trying to wiggle out of that refund. :mad:

I applaud the Mods for banning her from the Rent/Trade board, and hope that it can be done by IP address and not just by screen name, because I bet this theiving HAG will try it again. :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter