• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cases rising or dropping by you?

Covid remains just as highly contagious of a disease as it was back in March/April. There is no cure and vaccines MAY eventually be available, but there is currently no certainty of that. While I am sure some can quibble about the numbers and stats and probably in some areas where the medical personnel are overwhelmed, there are delays/errors in reporting since they have higher priorities, that doesn't change the reality of how serious of a medical crisis this remains. Being in denial or optimistic rhetoric from officials isn't a cure for covid.

Anyone who has been to a medical facility or hospital for any reason can clearly see how seriously they are behaving during this crisis.

The unfortunate situation for those who do not take this seriously and ignore the health guidelines is that they may have covid, not show any symptoms, but still unknowing infect others. That to me is still the biggest issue with those who want to brush this off as no big deal while accusing those who do take it seriously of 'fearmongering'.

Last edited:
Covid remains just as highly contagious of a disease as it was back in March/April. There is no cure and vaccines MAY eventually be available, but there is currently no certainty of that. While I am sure some can quibble about the numbers and stats and probably in some areas where the medical personnel are overwhelmed, there are delays/errors in reporting since they have higher priorities, that doesn't change the reality of how serious of a medical crisis this remains. Being in denial or optimistic rhetoric from officials isn't a cure for covid.

Anyone who has been to a medical facility or hospital for any reason can clearly see how seriously they are behaving during this crisis.

The unfortunate situation for those who do not take this seriously and ignore the health guidelines is that they may have covid, not show any symptoms, but still unknowing infect others. That to me is the still the biggest issue with those who want to brush this off as no big deal while accusing those who do take it seriously of 'fearmongering'.

Cases are going through the roof. Too many people not taking it seriously.

The unfortunate situation for those who do not take this seriously and ignore the health guidelines is that they may have covid, not show any symptoms, but still unknowing infect others. That to me is the still the biggest issue with those who want to brush this off as no big deal while accusing those who do take it seriously of 'fearmongering'.

Quibble about the numbers and stats?

The statistics are driving the bus, and the bus is the whole world so we all should absolutely be looking at the statistics for any hint of issues that could be distorting the conclusions the numbers point to because billions are being spent, lost and won on statistics. Lives are hinging on these numbers, on where the resources go and when, not to mention potential lockdowns, which are absolutely appropriate if a community is in a surge but in the case of multiple surges where some communities get prioritized over others because things are overwhelming we need to have confidence in what we are looking at every day.

I don't believe that truth is so weak it can't stand up to scrutiny, if a thing can't stand up to scrutiny then it isn't truth.

The statistics are driving the bus, and the bus is the whole world so we all should absolutely be looking at the statistics for any hint of issues that could be distorting the conclusions the numbers point to because billions are being spent, lost and won on statistics. Lives are hinging on these numbers, on where the resources go and when, not to mention potential lockdowns, which are absolutely appropriate if a community is in a surge but in the case of multiple surges where some communities get prioritized over others because things are overwhelming we need to have confidence in what we are looking at every day.

I don't believe that truth is so weak it can't stand up to scrutiny, if a thing can't stand up to scrutiny then it isn't truth.

I look at Europe/UK as a leading indicator for the US. Whatever they're facing we should face eventually. We will lock down again. It's just a matter of when and where in the US.

I look at Europe/UK as a leading indicator for the US. Whatever they're facing we should face eventually. We will lock down again. It's just a matter of when and where in the US.
I agree, this is no trifling matter.

If we can get our info squared away we can deal with this in a methodical way, closing and opening by zip code, closing down hot spots and creating buffer zones that are short lived. This mess is untenable in its current state.

I agree, this is no trifling matter.

If we can get our info squared away we can deal with this in a methodical way, closing and opening by zip code, closing down hot spots and creating buffer zones that are short lived. This mess is untenable in its current state.

The good news is that we know where spread is most likely to happen, so we don't have to completely close. We only need to close the places with the greatest likelihood of spread.

I disagree. The government should not mandate how you serve food or how loud you sing in your own home.

So if bad behavior gets a person sick whose responsibility is cleaning up the fallout?

Unless you say the outcome is on the individual alone, as in no pooled assets in medical insurance or gov support paid for by pooled taxes, to fix the individuals error in judgement, then I disagree.

If the cure is a pooled effort then prevention is a pooled decision, it's a social contract. Someone doesn't get to say me me me and then ask others to contribute to fixing him or her and take away resources from the larger group that is behaving in a mutually beneficial manner.

In talking to some people that work in health care... and listening to some of my friends and neighbors on things that have happened to them or family member and their other friends...and just looking at the whole thing... kinda stepping back taking away all the fear mongering, and political jargon out.

I honestly... Don't believe anything that they - what the media reports or what is being reported - are saying about the numbers at all... I really don't think that anyone has any real idea on whats whats..

First - before you start throwing flames...
Yes I believe that Covid is real...and yes we should protect ourselves and our loved ones... No argument there...Safety for all is number one.

First off - the testing numbers are skewed...
In most hospitals, medical facilities - everyone is being tested weekly... so every-time they are tested, It is counted like it is a new test... not a retest for the same person, and part of medical protocol... Just counting as a new test like a new person is being tested...

In 2 different nursing home that one my niece and my old colleague work at another... both said the same thing, they test everyone, weekly... So at a 180 facility they are testing all the residents, and all the staff... so around 300+ test weekly which is 1200 a month, and that just one facility that show as new testing... not retesting... for medical protocol... Which is how it should be counted...

All first responders, EMS, Firemen, Police, As well as teachers, and all school employees... lots of them are being tested weekly as well, again they show all as new testing, not ongoing testing for the same person... for protection and medical protocol...

Second - If you are positive for Covid - after the 2 weeks you have to be tested again to make sure your not still positive, so again another retest... if you are still positive, then they report as its a new case... not a ongoing case for the same person... who has already been counted..

Third - they reported a whole small town along the coast, had more covid testing, and positive results than the people that they had in the town... how does that work... So if the town had 8,000 people and 10,000 were tested and all positive... That should raise some red flags for sure. when asked how they were going to fix it.. it would be look into... And several of the testing centers were showing 100 + percent positive which was the same number of testing that they had done... No way 100 percent day after day... again people were going back and being retested and again they are counted like new people being tested...

As well the death toll, is skewed... Of course many people have died from Covid... I'm not disputing this..

So a guy that my DH works with his mother passed away, several months ago... she was in hospice care at a hospice house, for lung cancer... As he is sifting through the bills, and paper work, and waiting on the death certificate... As well his mother had requested a autopsy, which he did at her request, for the American Cancer society.. The bills are showing that they tested her and were treating her for Covid 19, which he was unaware of, yet he was told of all other med's and treatments... as well the cause of death was Lung failure, due to Covid ... which is not what she died from... the Autopsy showed she died from lung cancer plain and simple and did not have Covid 19 or any other type of Covid strain... So he went to the facility, and demanded the records... The administrator said that anyone dying is presume to have covid 19 and is consider compromised, due to their age and or disease process...and most likely to have it... Which means that they can get more money with a Covid Diagnosis, added to everything else... and they never treated her with med's for covid, yet they were billing for it... he was told she was on oxygen... well of course she had lung cancer...

A very good friends mother died, and the death certificate stated heart failure due to Covid 19... Which is not true at all, the reason she died was because she was afraid to leave her apartment, when her pace maker need replacing... again it was presumed she had it... even though she was tested several times, by the visiting nurse, and was negative every-time... So she died because of the fear of Covid not because she physically had it.... Again the hospital and such gets more money for a Covid Diagnosis...

Another person that we are acquaintance with their Daughters boyfriend, was killed in a car crash... and the death certificate said that he died from Covid related problems... along with massive trauma, and internal bleeding... is what he actually died from, again no proof that he had or ever had Covid...

Then there is the other side of the coin...

How many people had it, and no symptoms, or just mild like a summer cold or a bad allergy day that went by and no-one thought any more of it...

Or the homeless, who knows how many of them have had it or passed it on, or passed away from it and nothing was every done to see the true cause of death...

A good friend of ours father passed away unexpectedly, he had sever allergies, he refused to go for testing, and no testing was done afterward to see if he had covid was the cause of death...

A girl that I know her whole family had it, with no symptoms at all...

So you can see why I wonder if we really know what the true numbers are?

They need to only report new testing... and not people returning to re-test or being retested for work, health care or Essential workers... and again if the people who are positive when they are re-tested should not be reported as a new case and should be reported as continuing care case...

Only true causes of death should be reported, and this tacking on Covid has to stop.... some type of penalty for false reporting should be put in place...

Then we will have better information all the way around... Which can help with resources, getting them to where they need to go in a timely manner and efficiently... and getting a a clearer picture of how the virus works, and why it effects the body this way and that way and even differently in some people... why some people it only effects them like a summer cold or no symptoms and in other's it can be fatal...In the long run, true reporting, and honest accounting... is the only way we are going to be able to have and create a clear picture to help with the vaccine...
Just my thought for what they are worth...

So you don't believe anything the media says but you believe what someone's acquaintance's acquaintance says and accept that as indisputable truth? I can't believe we are still passing around the whole "you can die from a gunshot and they'll call it Covid-19" nonsense after 8 months. It sounds like you get all your news from Facebook.

So if bad behavior gets a person sick whose responsibility is cleaning up the fallout?

Unless you say the outcome is on the individual alone, as in no pooled assets in medical insurance or gov support paid for by pooled taxes, to fix the individuals error in judgement, then I disagree.

If the cure is a pooled effort then prevention is a pooled decision, it's a social contract. Someone doesn't get to say me me me and then ask others to contribute to fixing him or her and take away resources from the larger group that is behaving in a mutually beneficial manner.

People should get guidance for best practices. You can't force them to follow those rules.

This is basically Darwinism in practice.

So you don't believe anything the media says but you believe what someone's acquaintance's acquaintance says and accept that as indisputable truth? I can't believe we are still passing around the whole "you can die from a gunshot and they'll call it Covid-19" nonsense after 8 months. It sounds like you get all your news from Facebook.

Weaponized social media is definitely a problem. I always point my friends who fall for this trap to the MedCram video on how death certs are done for COVID. I try to inform them.

People should get guidance for best practices. You can't force them to follow those rules.

This is basically Darwinism in practice.
I know, I am not advocating Social Darwinism, I'm not saying they should be refused care only that it's wrong that they created the problem through free will and then ask for help. It's more about making people aware that they are being exploitive if they only use the rules to get what they want without following that through all the way to the natural outcome hurting others in the process. To me behaving in a non reciprocal way is Machiavellianism and it is repellant.

I disagree. The government should not mandate how you serve food or how loud you sing in your own home.
As has been explained above, it isn't a mandate. They are guidelines. And they're quite good ones. Is it really too much to ask for people to follow them? I mean how hard is it to use disposable plates that people can just throw right in the garbage instead of risking things by using the good gold rimmed china that has to be washed by hand? I say thanks California, now I have an excuse to use paper plates. Is anyone's Thanksgiving going to be completely ruined if they don't sing so loud the neighbor's dog howls?

I know, I am not advocating Social Darwinism, I'm not saying they should be refused care only that it's wrong that they created the problem through free will and then ask for help. It's more about making people aware that they are being exploitive if they only use the rules to get what they want without following that through all the way to the natural outcome hurting others in the process. To me behaving in a non reciprocal way is Machiavellianism and it is repellant.

In my experience the ones taking it most seriously either have had it or know someone who did. Only about 10% of the population has had it. It’s going to take far more people getting it for some people to get a clue.

In talking to some people that work in health care... and listening to some of my friends and neighbors on things that have happened to them or family member and their other friends...and just looking at the whole thing... kinda stepping back taking away all the fear mongering, and political jargon out.

I honestly... Don't believe anything that they - what the media reports or what is being reported - are saying about the numbers at all... I really don't think that anyone has any real idea on whats whats..

Yes I believe that Covid is real...and yes we should protect ourselves and our loved ones... No argument there...Safety for all is number one.

In most hospitals, medical facilities - everyone is being tested weekly... so every-time they are tested, It is counted like it is a new test... not a retest for the same person, and part of medical protocol... Just counting as a new test like a new person is being tested...

In 2 different nursing home that one my niece and my old colleague work at another... both said the same thing, they test everyone, weekly... So at a 180 facility they are testing all the residents, and all the staff... so around 300+ test weekly which is 1200 a month, and that just one facility that show as new testing... not retesting... for medical protocol... Which is how it should be counted...

All first responders, EMS, Firemen, Police, As well as teachers, and all school employees... lots of them are being tested weekly as well, again they show all as new testing, not ongoing testing for the same person... for protection and medical protocol...

Second - If you are positive for Covid - after the 2 weeks you have to be tested again to make sure your not still positive, so again another retest... if you are still positive, then they report as its a new case... not a ongoing case for the same person... who has already been counted..

Third - they reported a whole small town along the coast, had more covid testing, and positive results than the people that they had in the town... how does that work... So if the town had 8,000 people and 10,000 were tested and all positive... That should raise some red flags for sure. when asked how they were going to fix it.. it would be look into... And several of the testing centers were showing 100 + percent positive which was the same number of testing that they had done... No way 100 percent day after day... again people were going back and being retested and again they are counted like new people being tested...

As well the death toll, is skewed... Of course many people have died from Covid... I'm not disputing this..

So a guy that my DH works with his mother passed away, several months ago... she was in hospice care at a hospice house, for lung cancer... As he is sifting through the bills, and paper work, and waiting on the death certificate... As well his mother had requested a autopsy, which he did at her request, for the American Cancer society.. The bills are showing that they tested her and were treating her for Covid 19, which he was unaware of, yet he was told of all other med's and treatments... as well the cause of death was Lung failure, due to Covid ... which is not what she died from... the Autopsy showed she died from lung cancer plain and simple and did not have Covid 19 or any other type of Covid strain... So he went to the facility, and demanded the records... The administrator said that anyone dying is presume to have covid 19 and is consider compromised, due to their age and or disease process...and most likely to have it... Which means that they can get more money with a Covid Diagnosis, added to everything else... and they never treated her with med's for covid, yet they were billing for it... he was told she was on oxygen... well of course she had lung cancer...

A very good friends mother died, and the death certificate stated heart failure due to Covid 19... Which is not true at all, the reason she died was because she was afraid to leave her apartment, when her pace maker need replacing... again it was presumed she had it... even though she was tested several times, by the visiting nurse, and was negative every-time... So she died because of the fear of Covid not because she physically had it.... Again the hospital and such gets more money for a Covid Diagnosis...

Another person that we are acquaintance with their Daughters boyfriend, was killed in a car crash... and the death certificate said that he died from Covid related problems... along with massive trauma, and internal bleeding... is what he actually died from, again no proof that he had or ever had Covid...

How many people had it, and no symptoms, or just mild like a summer cold or a bad allergy day that went by and no-one thought any more of it...

Or the homeless, who knows how many of them have had it or passed it on, or passed away from it and nothing was every done to see the true cause of death...

A good friend of ours father passed away unexpectedly, he had sever allergies, he refused to go for testing, and no testing was done afterward to see if he had covid was the cause of death...

They need to only report new testing... and not people returning to re-test or being retested for work, health care or Essential workers... and again if the people who are positive when they are re-tested should not be reported as a new case and should be reported as continuing care case...

Only true causes of death should be reported, and this tacking on Covid has to stop.... some type of penalty for false reporting should be put in place...

Then we will have better information all the way around... Which can help with resources, getting them to where they need to go in a timely manner and efficiently... and getting a a clearer picture of how the virus works, and why it effects the body this way and that way and even differently in some people... why some people it only effects them like a summer cold or no symptoms and in other's it can be fatal...In the long run, true reporting, and honest accounting... is the only way we are going to be able to have and create a clear picture to help with the vaccine...

Misinformation is dangerous.

BTW, don’t you think skewing the test numbers by including all the repeated tests as new tests would make the situation seem better than reality since the positivity rate would then go down?

You can easily look up the real facts by going onto various county and state websites to see how they cumulate totals. Repeated tests on the same person that results in a positive is only added to the total if the time between the multiple tests are usually more than 3 months apart. This has rarely happened, except in the few confirmed reinfection cases.

This is why it's important IMO for people to know exactly how their area/state is calculating numbers and it's why I think places need to be more transparent in this.

I *think* it was this thread or it was a different one where I posted on how my county used to calculate positivity, how my county adjusted to align with the CDC and how my state calculates positivity. It really really makes a difference. I wasn't fully aware of the impacts until I saw our percent positive drop nearly in half (at that point in time) by the adjustment in what tests were included (meaning repeat negatives, total tests, etc)

My county, since adjusting how they calculate, added a new chart to their COVID dashboard (I pasted in the time frame that really shows the difference):

All that dark blue, as stated in the legend, is repeat negatives. Light blue is new negatives.

The color to pay attention to is orange which, as stated in the legend, is new positives.

BTW, don’t you think skewing the test numbers by including all the repeated tests as new tests would make the situation seem better than reality since the positivity rate would then go down?
This is what I explained a few weeks ago regarding the adjustments in calculations. Number 2 gives the explanation relevant to what your above comment is with number 3 showing that's what my state is doing.

1) New positive cases/'Unique tests". This was the method the county was using.
  • Under this method if a person was tested multiple times and was negative only their FIRST negative test was counted. However, if a person was tested multiple times and tested positive at any of those additional tests they were added to the new positive cases. This meant the positivity rate would likely be high overall due to increased availability in testing. As more and more tests have become available more and more people are actually able to be retested over time.

2) New positive cases/individuals tested This is the new method the county is using.
  • Under this method a person's test is counted within a 14-day window both positive and negative and it doesn't matter if a person was tested previously, it will still count. However, if a person tests negative multiple times within this 14-day window additional negative tests beyond the first one won't be counted. This is apparently what the CDC uses (per my local news article). According to the news article the reason for only being counted once if negative within the 14-day window is because of people whose occupation requires frequent testing it could create a positivity rate that is lower than what is actually reflective of the given community.

3) New positive cases/total tests. This is the method my state is using.
  • Under this method a person's test is counted both positive and negative but in addition multiple negative tests from the same individual are also counted. Hence the total tests part. This means those whose occupations requires frequent testing are included in the total test bucket.

I think you missed my point. Some people seem to want to quibble about covid stats as a reason to minimize how serious of a public health risk exists. One doesn't need to be an expert in how your state counts the numbers to grasp how serious the problem is. Even if we had perfect data by zip code, people might still live in one zip code, shop in another and go to work in a third, therefore not sure how that would matter in how we address this.

Last edited:

So you won’t believe medical professionals and scientists, but will be believe a lot of “my neighbor’s uncle told them?” Cool.

If you’re going to spout this nonsense, you might want to clean up your argument. First, retesting after a positive is no longer recommended, so that isn’t happening widespread. Second, frequent workplace testing being counted would help the numbers look better, not worse. It would lower percent positive overall. Third, the death certificates thing has been explained over and over again.That is NOT how it’s working.

I seriously thought we had moved past this kind of Facebook news months ago. 🤦‍♀️

So you won’t believe medical professionals and scientists, but will be believe a lot of “my neighbor’s uncle told them?” Cool.

If you’re going to spout this nonsense, you might want to clean up your argument. First, retesting after a positive is no longer recommended, so that isn’t happening widespread. Second, frequent workplace testing being counted would help the numbers look better, not worse. It would lower percent positive overall. Third, the death certificates thing has been explained over and over again.That is NOT how it’s working.

I seriously thought we had moved past this kind of Facebook news months ago. 🤦‍♀️

It's like telling kids to not touch a hot oven. Some will listen. Others will get burnt. It's the same with this virus. We might have to lock down again because of the high percentage of folks that need to get burnt before they take it seriously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter