CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please stop saying exaggerate as if people are too dumb to get it. We already had that conversation on a different thread. That was term used by so many. If you have an issue with it take it up with everyone, the politicians, local government officials, the medical community, and the experts we all are listening to because they were the ones to begin using it in the first place and still use it now. And looking at your past postings it would appear you take great issue in people using the word lockdown. We got it, already, you don't think anyone here was actually on lockdown because it wasn't China.

**End Rant moving on :) **

You know, if I could get the person at the very top to stop misusing words, I would be happy to.
I get what you're saying. I'll try not to bring it up as often as I've had. (Can't promise that I won't ever again, though).
But, does it make it right to continue to misuse a term because others are doing so as well? Do you agree on continuing to do things incorrectly because others are doing it?
And, no. I'm not trying to indicate anyone's intelligence level by mentioning it. I think the saying comes from a bias, not a lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
You know, if I could get the person at the very top to stop misusing words, I would be happy to.
I get what you're saying. I'll try not to bring it up as often as I've had. (Can't promise that I won't ever again, though).
But, does it make it right to continue to misuse a term because others are doing so as well? Do you agree on continuing to do things incorrectly because others are doing it?
And, no. I'm not trying to indicate anyone's intelligence level by mentioning it. I think the saying comes from a bias, not a lack of knowledge.
Everyone says to listen to the experts so is it misuse if they are the ones saying it? Am I supposed to not listen to trusted people in the medical community? Rhetorical questions there.

If there's a bias then way too many people we're supposed to be listening to has one. I don't think there is a bias if speaking generally. What I *think* you're referring to is when people bring up the word because they have an ulterior motive or agenda and it bleeds through their comments. I think it's incredibly unfair and rude to assume that people who use it are of only that category than your everyday person who is repeating was they've read and not by some extreme publication either. I think we generally can figure out the people who are of the latter category.

Like I said on the other thread just because it wasn't China, just because it wasn't a school shooting (like you brought up on the other thread) does not mean there is but one definition of it, which is the one you feel everyone should use. You know what they say about correcting people's grammar? It kinda comes across like that because to you personally it's not an accurate description, too or to we still can probably figure out what they mean ya know?

Either way I appreciate your response and will opt to comment no further on it right now respectfully so please don't take offense for any further non-response on this matter at this time :flower3:

No one said it was 50%. @sam_gordon said, “If it's only 50% effective.” It was an exercise. No one knows at this point what the effectiveness of the various vaccines in development will be. But, what is for sure is that no vaccine is ever 100% effective.

Are there businesses still completely closed against due to regulations? Maybe bars and gyms? Most are open from what I see everyday, and I’m in what an average American would consider to be a very restrictive region (some may even exaggerate by saying “lockdown”).
Um... cruise lines, Convention centers, Broadway, concert venues, Disneyland, and hotels and airlines operating at heading towards bankruptcy capacity. There are still millions and millions of people globally unemployed right now or furloughed due to Covid Because so many businesses are completely shut down

It seems people are looking at vaccine effectiveness in terms of absolutes; or black and white. Even a 50% effectiveness means there is some immunity given. So, like with the flu vaccine, the thought is that if you happen to get the disease, the immunity you have been given by the vaccine (as well as your own immunity from past viruses) kicks in and you likely won’t be as sick as if you had not had the vaccine. It doesn’t mean there is only a 50% chance you won’t get the virus.

I thought it went without saying (but maybe not) that many of the common sense approaches we’ve become accustomed to these last months will still be prudent to practice even after the vaccine comes on the scene. Same as they always have been in terms of flu management - frequent hand sanitizing, avoiding crowds, distancing, not touching face, staying home when sick, etc. Masks are the thing that the general public hasn’t really used before so issues surrounding their use will no doubt continue to be controversial, as will the timing, methods and rules for reopening things even as some of us get vaccinated.

Sincere question: Then do you expect these activities are simply a thing of the past?
No. I do think they will return. I just don't think that once you get a brand new vaccine that's it, you'll never get Covid. I feel basic precautions should still be taken, mainly masks & social distancing.

It seems people are looking at vaccine effectiveness in terms of absolutes; or black and white. Even a 50% effectiveness means there is some immunity given. So, like with the flu vaccine, the thought is that if you happen to get the disease, the immunity you have been given by the vaccine (as well as your own immunity from past viruses) kicks in and you likely won’t be as sick as if you had not had the vaccine. It doesn’t mean there is only a 50% chance you won’t get the virus.
With all due respect, you even say "the THOUGHT is... " regarding how much a vaccine will help. So, let me ask you this... let's say the vaccine is available tomorrow and you get it. Will you continue wearing your mask? Social distancing?

I thought it went without saying (but maybe not) that many of the common sense approaches we’ve become accustomed to these last months will still be prudent to practice even after the vaccine comes on the scene. Same as they always have been in terms of flu management - frequent hand sanitizing, avoiding crowds, distancing, not touching face, staying home when sick, etc. Masks are the thing that the general public hasn’t really used before so issues surrounding their use will no doubt continue to be controversial, as will the timing, methods and rules for reopening things even as some of us get vaccinated.
And the bolded is exactly my point. I don't think the vaccine is the "magic bullet" some seem to believe it will be. I hope I'm wrong.

With all due respect, you even say "the THOUGHT is... " regarding how much a vaccine will help. So, let me ask you this... let's say the vaccine is available tomorrow and you get it. Will you continue wearing your mask? Social distancing?

And the bolded is exactly my point. I don't think the vaccine is the "magic bullet" some seem to believe it will be. I hope I'm wrong.
Yes, “the thought is”, as has been very well documented in medical literature.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm
According to all I’ve read, healthcare workers will be among the first to get the vaccine. Mandated, no doubt. Personally, I likely will continue to distance and mask and such, for my own protection and that of my patients and family. So yes.

Once a vaccine is out, it will take time to get it distributed to everyone. And if it's only effective for a year, those first ones will need revaccinated. At some point we'll have some sort of herd immunity where if someone contagious is out and about, there will be few susceptible hosts that person will come in contact with so the virus can spread. That will take time. Until then, masking, social distancing, etc, will still be prudent. Huge mask-less, packed close together events shouldn't happen the day the vaccine gets released, but I'd think could get phased in over the next year. Not what people want to hear, and I'm so over this virus as well, but that doesn't change the fact the virus is circulating. It really doesn't care what I think.

Washing your hands, wearing a mask if you have a respiratory illness, etc, is good practice no matter what the status of our herd immunity is.

Sorry to be repetitive, but this isn't just about the vaccine. It's a big combination of things: better testing, much better treatment, SOME level of herd immunity (even 10% is meaningful) AND a relatively effective vaccine all together are how we get back to normal life.

Yes, none of this will happen overnight! The process will be complex and we may still run into surprises along the way. Ongoing evaluations will be necessary and recommendations could change. Fasten your seatbelts!

I also think that 50% will be a higher percentage if the vaccine is targeted to those who actually really need it. Those at work in healthcare and the elderly. Or those with underlying conditions. If we were able to protect those with a vaccine and remove their age group from then statistics we would not have the problem we have right now and that is the death rate. Granted there are the outliers of those younger who are getting severely sick and dying but the fact is the majority are those who are over 60. Once we take death and severe illness out of the equation, Covid will become like the common flu or cold.

How long term? Years? There isn't time.

When the vaccine is available, I trust if they (doctors, etc.) say it's okay to get. I'm one of the ones that actually believe those developing the vaccine aren't motivated by politics. I will be getting the vaccine.

Look, everyone should have a choice to get or not get, but when there is a proven effective vaccine available for public, I think it's time to shift from all of us protecting each other with social distancing, masks, staying away from large gatherings to now those who choose not to get the vaccine need to put the responsibility of taking extra precautions on themselves.
Probably not a popular opinion.

Sounds kind of like anti-maskers who feel that those who are at greatest risk from COVID should be responsible and take the extra precautions themselves.

You mentioned "proven effective", some of us prefer to wait until it's proven safe.

Sounds kind of like anti-maskers who feel that those who are at greatest risk from COVID should be responsible and take the extra precautions themselves.

You mentioned "proven effective", some of us prefer to wait until it's proven safe.

:rotfl: yeah...nope.

:scratchin Well, for that to happen, your premise assumes all official requirements will immediately be dropped when a vaccine becomes available. I don’t think that will happen nor do I think that those of us who comply simply because those measures are “official requirements” instantly rebel. I, and pretty much everybody I know, will continue to adhere to whatever mandate is in place.

When our mask mandate is dropped I will joyfully stop wearing one. When our travel advisories are dropped I will vacation again. If cruising resumes or concert halls, theaters and major sporting events resume, I’ll consider participating, under whatever official guidelines are in place at that time. I don’t see doing what is officially permitted by our health authorities to be unreasonable or reckless.

Get the vaccine and wear the mask until we can relax restrictions.

Actually what you said is those who don't take it should take responsibilities and extra precautions on themselves. Like I said it's the same mentality of anti-maskers who feel people should take responsibility for themselves. But you go ahead and continue to deny it, no matter what you said is right there in your post.

Actually what you said is those who don't take it should take responsibilities and extra precautions on themselves. Like I said it's the same mentality of anti-maskers who feel people should take responsibility for themselves. But you go ahead and continue to deny it, no matter what you said is right there in your post.

I didn't know I needed to spell out that it was after restrictions were dropped, I assumed everyone knew that.

But yes, if you don't want the vaccine and mask and other restrictions are loosened for everyone (at some point after vaccine) but you still don't feel safe (and won't get vaccine), then you need to take your own precautions at that point. I won't deny that's my opinion.

Sorry, should have been more clear for everyone. Obviously we shouldn't just stop wearing masks, etc. after the vaccine until it's said to do so.

Have a good day!

I didn't know I needed to spell out that it was after restrictions were dropped, I assumed everyone knew that.

But yes, if you don't want the vaccine and mask and other restrictions are loosened for everyone (at some point after vaccine) but you still don't feel safe (and won't get vaccine), then you need to take your own precautions at that point. I won't deny that's my opinion.

Sorry, should have been more clear for everyone. Obviously we shouldn't just stop wearing masks, etc. after the vaccine.

Have a good day!
Yes this will absolutely be the case, just as it was before Covid. There are medically fragile individuals that “gotta do what they gotta do”. Typically the people close to them also have to be extra cautious while the wider world goes on about it’s business.

According to all I’ve read, healthcare workers will be among the first to get the vaccine.
The state next to me and mine have released and submitted to the CDC what they will consider the levels of who gets the vaccine for their citizens. I believe every state has by this point.

Both states start with healthcare workers. For my state a healthcare worker was defined as "anyone in a hospital-like setting who may come into contact with infected patients." Not sure what the state next to me defines a healthcare worker as.

Next was nursing home residents and workers.

Next was emergency workers and other essential personnel. Essential personnel has yet to be clearly defined for my state. Technically my husband was considered essential (engineer working on power plants) but he's not the type of essential worker that would have great contact with the general population like a grocery store worker (I rather doubt my husband would be considered essential for the vaccine purposes).

Then the general population.

One thing that was brought up was if 2 doses was required. Both my state and the one next to me utilize a registry so they said they can contact someone to come in for a second dose (though homeless population would present an issue with that for sure). But the thing that they mentioned was because of that, someone like me who lives in the metro straddling both states, I could go across state lines and get the shot. It was mentioned that in my state a card will be given with the first dose for instructions on the second dose should that be required.

I know it was discussed earlier on costs to citizens. No citizen will be required to pay for the vaccine for either state BUT an admin fee (it was mentioned likely less than $20) may be assessed (either to a person or to their insurance if they have it). However, it was stressed that no one could be turned away on the basis on being able to pay for that admin fee. It's early on that admin fee so I would expect updates when the vaccine is further along and I don't know if both states would have the exact same admin fee aspect when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter