Coming to you from OKW ...

Must be the Turtle Pond area that still has the old sofa beds. We were in BLD 38 Christmas week and that is what was in there.
We were in 34 last year (August) and left mention with the Front Desk and a follow-up survey that the beds needed to be changed to the new style. My one dd had to sleep on it and the old one was not comfortable. She ended up just sleeping on the sofa (closed). I can't believe they haven't changed them yet. :confused3

Dave....glad you're having a good stay ! Thanks for the reports !

That's what I love about DVC ... we take it slow and easy and stay flexible. We are also lucky to be staying for 2 weeks so we have the luxury of time.
Well ... off to MGM tomorrow w/lunch at Prime Time.
I'll post more tomorrow ... maybe some random thoughts ...

That is something we love about being DVC members as well. Our commando days have long been over. Two weeks, boy you ARE lucky! We arrive tomorrow! I will be looking for you!!!!!!!!!!!

I just have one question what children activities do they have? I read somewhere that they give you a list at check in.
Hi Tonnie,
Yes, they do give you an activity list when you check-in. Our most recent stay was 8/06 and here are some examples of what was being offered at the resort :

Sand art
Color-Me-Bear
lobby games/Goofy bingo
soda magnet craft
color your own beach ball
pool games
volleyball tournament
sand castle building
Kids Jamboree music fest
Big Unbirthday Party (ages 5-12)
water balloon games
kids' fishing trip ($30 ages 5-12)
sweet taste no bake cookies
paint a wind chime ($4 Members/$5 non Members)
pool party

Hope this helps !

I just have one question what children activities do they have? I read somewhere that they give you a list at check in.

Well ... MiaSRN62 was right on the money ... tons of stuff to do!
We went to the very merry unbirthday party with my DS (my DD had done several when she was little). It's a bit different now ... some question games at the table and then donuts and soda. Not bad, though ... little prizes for the kids.
We also headed to Conch Flats for a "pool party" yesterday but it was mostly tossing a football to kids as they jumped in the pool. :confused3 . No matter ... it was nice to cool off and my kids love that slide! :banana: :banana:

We spent the morning at MGM and had a great time ... no waits for almost everything (we didn't do the big thrill stuff ... yet). Saw Little Mermaid, Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour ... walked on to each. We had lunch at the Prime Time (a favorite) ... pot roast was amazing! :thumbsup2
We headed back for that pool party and went off to the BW for the members event. It was a little more low key than last year where it was like a dance party for the kids. We did get really cool 15th anniversary baseball caps, though!:woohoo:

We finished the day with dinner at Cracker Barrel (LOVE that place!) and ice cream at Beaches and Cream (somebody next to us got the kitchen sink ... looked like lots of fun!).

Well .... off to Cape May at the Beach Club for breakfast with the characters and over to Epcot again for maybe Soarin' (again) and TT. Then on to the countries ... maybe catch Voices of Liberty (always gets me!). There's another member event this afternoon by the International Gateway in honor of VAKL ... face painting, DJ, characters, games and snacks ... I'll let you know how that goes. They're only having it through August.

More later ...

Dave

Glad to hear your enjoying your stay at OKW. We check in on Sunday for 2 weeks in a 2 BR and I agree with you about the top floor for such a long trip!! got burned once while there for 2 weeks with a very loud group above us!!! It made for not a very enjoyable 2 weeks!!!

We finally decided to re-visit the parks this trip!!! Haven't been in 2 1/2 years!! It should be exciting but we will not be commandos!! LOL!! those days are long gone!

Is the resort crowded?

See you at the pool!!!

Glad to hear your having a magical time.....

I didnt' know they did the unbirthday party at OKW....
I thought it was only HHI....

Good to know....DD5 would love that....
Kerri

Well ... we're still here! Hot Dog!:banana:

Rosemary ... it doesn't seem too bad at all as far as crowding ... come on in ... the water's fine!!!

We went to the member's event at the International Gateway entrance at EPCOT. It was terrific!!!l :cool1: The kids had a great time. It is mainly a PR opportunity to inform us of VAKL but they didn't hit you over the head with it. The event continues until late August ... I recommend it if you are coming down. It is a bit hot ... it's in a large tent with some fans. They had African drummers, a stilt walker, Dee Vee Cee (she's a riot! :lmao: ) ... a really good DJ who ran contests (hoola hoop, twist, etc.). They also had all kinds of ice cream treats, fruit punch, ice water and snacks. There were amazing face painters (I'll try to post some photos ... I'm lousy at that), games, crafts ... really a fun time. My kids danced like a couple of nuts! :banana: :banana:
It takes place on Thursdays between 3 and 5. AND they gave us another hat! It was one of those floppy fishing style hats.

That same day we ate at Cape May with the characters. It's funny ... I remember my DW and I going there years and years ago and sitting there looking at families w/kids and imagining one day bringing my own kids and here I am ... I'm soooooooo lucky!

We then managed to go over to Epcot to do TT, Figment, Living with the Land (I like it a little better without the live guide ... I feel bad saying this, but we felt we could ooo and ahhh more to each other without being rude).
We headed to Canada and needed cool and fuel! It's been a while since we ate at Le Cellier ... it was great. We also saw O Canada! (not in rehab. yet) it was still neat ... LOVE the song (right up there with Horizon, Listen to the Land and Tomorrow's Child).

Yesterday, we went to Discovery Cove ... we live a charmed life. It was terrific. We had done it about 5 years ago, so this was the first time for my DS and I to join in the dolphin experience ... it was great.

Well ... slept in a bit today and may check out Sea World (with DC admission you get 7 days of free admission to Sea World).

I hope this wasn't too long!

Dave

It is NOT too long, I am loving it!

You are so lucky to be there for two weeks. We have had the chance to do that a few times and it is magical for sure. It changes your whole perspective on everything.

Enjoy and keep the reports coming!

Thanks for the info on the member event at the int'l gateway.....sounds like it's definitely worth going to.
Dave - when you get back, look for me on Long Island, my license plate is "WEDWAY"!!

OK ... so I feel like I, myself, have gotten a bit off topic regarding OKW. I've been posting some reports so let me offer some random thoughts on OKW itself ...
Still absolutely love it ... you just can't beat the size of the room, the feeling of being in "another place", and all the tropical theming (sp?).
What I would change ...
the shower heads ... I just think it's time ... and I know they must be changing mattresses in some units but not this one. :goodvibes I used to want to find out what mattresses they used but I'm afraid that's not the case right now. For some reason, our pillows are different ... (I don't mean to sound petty) but they're like cement blocks. I realize that I could probably ask for new ones ... but I hate to sound so fussy ...
That's about it ... the "old" place is really holding up. We've also had very nice encounters with the cast members. One funny story ... I went down to Good's to Go to take out some hot dogs and burgers and a very nice cast member from France waited on me. I asked about the sand pail that the kids meals used to come in (they don't anymore) and no matter how I described it, she had no idea what I was talking about. She then turned to another cast member from China to help and her english wasn't much better. Very sweet really ... they really tried and it was no big deal. I briefly tried to request that the burger be "well done" but given the blank stare, dropped it. I think she thought I was asking for them to do a good job! :)
Well, right now my DW is throwing in a couple of waffles for the kids while they watch TV. We've had coffee and terrific Florida OJ, and are preparing for the MK ... life is good in beautiful OKW! :love:

Dave

We were just there a week ago and stayed in building 32 overlooking the pond. We loved it! We also had the old sofa beds,but we only had 6 staying so we didn't use it. We LOVE OKW!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement re: my trip reports! :goodvibes

By the way ... my DS woke up today with a terrible stiff neck. :sad1:
It took most of the day to recover (he's just now feeling better). We had ressies at the CP for lunch so he wanted to give it a shot. Well, we got him to try to work it out and did the tylenol/warm compress thing and we took it slow and made it! While we were dealing with this I called housekeeping about a change of pillows (wasn't going to prior to this ... and they weren't necessarily the cause) but was told that all they have are the cement blocks. ;) Oh, well ... just so ya know, ya know?

After lunch we thought it a good idea to stop by first aid next to CP ... what a wonderful experience! The nurses there were very nice and led us to the back and offered ice and motrin. They also gave us two passes to get to the front of the line on two rides because of our time out of commision! :banana: Very nice.

We went on Jungle Cruise and managed to catch the afternoon parade. We then decided to bail and go back tonight and catch the EMH at MK. We've never done that ... my DS is 8 and I think we're finally all up for it. :cool1:
I'll let you know how it goes ...

Dave

I briefly tried to request that the burger be "well done" but given the blank stare, dropped it. I think she thought I was asking for them to do a good job! :)
Dave

This is so funny. Both times we visited OKW I ordered a burger from Goods2Go and both times they were so rare I couldn't finish them. Our first stay at this resort is in october. I figured I would ask for any I may want to be cooked "well done". LoL Guess that may not happen. Thanks for your great TRs. I've been loving them.

Glad to hear all is better. The First Aid experience sounds
like a good one. Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks for the info about the pillows we will be at OKW in September.

:cool1:

Hope your DS's neck is feeling better!! Yes, those pillows can be like cement blocks!! My DD already asked if she could take her own this trip!!!

The first aid center at MK is great!! Years ago, my DD got her finger stuck under those old carriages in MK while DH was pushing my younger DD in it!! (Yes, her ran over her finger!! LOL!). It was bleeding and yucky to say the least!! The staff at first aid were wonderful!!

My girls are getting ready to start packing so we can leave this weekend!!!

Again, you guys are very kind ... may all your trips come quickly and pass slowly! :disrocks:
Good for you Rosemary! :banana:

Well ... we did the EMH (evening MK) for the first time. Now ... this is MHO ... AND ... I'm sure much depends on time of year, day, weather, alignment of the planets, etc., etc. ... BUT ... it was SOOOOOOOOOOO not worth it! :sad2:
We got there about 9:30 and it was packed (to be expected). We caught Wishes from the hub in front of the Walt statue (great spot!) and it was wonderful despite the drizzle. The rain ended as the show did and we waited for the crowds to disperse. We headed over to see how Buzz looked ... line around the building ... BUT ... the park was still open. We were able to get into Stitch (DS still loves it and it's not too bad). Once out, Buzz wasn't bad so we went in and afterwards checked out Space Mountain and with the park now closed it was still a 50 minute wait! :scared1: No problem ... headed to check out Fantasyland ... Dumbo was being shut down because of lightning in the area (so we knew Splash Mountain and BTM would be the same). Peter Pan was a 40 min. wait ... so we did Small World ... we made the best of it. I have to say though ... it was mobbed ... worse than most non-EMH mornings we've had. It was now after midnight so we decided to bail. Headed down Main St. ... it's always so beautiful at night!:love: Stopped at the Confectionary for treats for the monorail (chocolate dipped Mickey rice krispy treats on a stick :cloud9: ) and waited on a huge line to buy them! Oh, well ... all in all it's just great to be there at night and Wishes was terrific.
I think we're off to AK today with dinner later at LTT ...
Hope this finds all of you well ... talk at you later!:)

Dave

Your EMH experience was much like ours, and we tend to avoid them like the plague now. I prefer getting up early and taking a break when things get busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter