• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Coming to you from OKW ...

I am really enjoying your posts. Thanks for taking the time! :thumbsup2

It's too bad that DVC is still charging $9.99/day for high speed access. It would be nice if they decide to give members a discount or free access as many hotels already do. At the 2005 Association meeting, Jim Lewis said that they were "considering" this possibility once the infrastructure was paid for. We can only hope. :surfweb:

Enjoy the rest of your vacation at OKW!

I am really enjoying your posts. Thanks for taking the time! :thumbsup2

It's too bad that DVC is still charging $9.99/day for high speed access. It would be nice if they decide to give members a discount or free access as many hotels already do. At the 2005 Association meeting, Jim Lewis said that they were "considering" this possibility once the infrastructure was paid for. We can only hope. :surfweb:

Enjoy the rest of your vacation at OKW!

I totally agree ! :cool1:

Well ... where to begin? We're dealing with a bit of saddness ... we found out a few days ago that my mother in law is in the hospital back home. She has been in a nursing home with dementia for several years now. Anyway ... she will be operated on tonight or in the morning for blood clots in her leg and lung. We're hoping and praying for whatever is the best ... just don't know if we'll be leaving early. It's a real balancing act with the kids ... it's nothing too dire right now ...

Anyway, that being said, we just got back from a swim by the Turtle Shack ... very nice ... it was kind of quiet. Wish all of you could have been here! :goodvibes
We went to AK today a bit late (we knew it would be challenging) ... got there at 11:30. We pretty much wanted to see the new Nemo show and maybe do Kali River and Everest. Well ... it was MOBBED! There was about a bazillion tour groups (seriously ... we counted at least 10! :scared1: ). We managed to get on line early for the 1:00 show for Nemo and the skies opened up. Luckily we had our trusty umbrellas ... still got a bit soaked, though. Got in to the theater ... got comfy ... and about 15 minutes before show time an announcement was made that the perfomance was cancelled. :sad2: Well, once the shock wore off we said (as only us New Yawkas can say) ... "Wadda ya gonna do?" By this time ... 1:00 ... fast passes were gone for Everest and it was a 70 minute wait. So we got fast passes for Kali ... went to Pizzaffari for lunch. The food there is terrific ... but it was also mobbed. As we were going to leave and head to Kali the skies opened up again and we had thunder and lightning this time. Oh well ... we bailed (not before picking up the requisite ice cream for the road :) ).
We crashed for a bit in the room and eventually headed to Cape May for dinner. We thought we might catch Illuminations but didn't make it.
Well ... the plan is to hit MK early for EMH (goes against our usual plan ... but we don't know how much more time we have). My DW's dad, sister and brother are keeping us posted ...
Well, again, I hope this finds you all well ... talk at you later!

Dave

Thanks for the reports,love them. Prayers being said for you wife's mother.

Sorry about your MIL....hope she gets well....

Sounds like your having a great trip....
You missed a couple of good soakers her on LI....

where on LI do you live?
Have a Mickey treat for me:goodvibes
Kerri

I've enjoyed reading your report, and I hope your DMiL gets well.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Wishing the best for your MIL. Stay dry and maybe our paths will cross this weekend at OKW!!!

I'm really enjoying reading this trip report in the day-by-day format. Makes me feel like I'm enjoying it with you. It seems so long until we go in October.

Best wishes to your and yours with regards to your MIL. Here's hoping for what is best for her.

Keep up the great reports!!
Suzanne

Sure hope that things go well for your DMIL.

We were at WDW in 2002 when my dad had to go to the hospital and we got the call that he wasn't expected to make it. Although he had a stroke about 5 years earlier and was in a wheelchair and required 24 hour in home care, it was very unexpected that he had to go to the hospital and was in such critical condition. So I understand how you're feeling now--wondering whether you should go home or not and trying to continue to enjoy yourselves until you know for sure what to do. We did end up going home and postponing our first DCL cruise. Dad was happy to see us before he passed away a couple of days later. With your MIL having dementia, that makes it even more difficult for you. Anyway, my prayers are with you and your family. I hope your MIL improves rapidly and you can stop worrying as much and enjoy the rest of your WDW vacation! May God Bless You!!!

Donna

Donna I do remember that difficult time. Can't believe it was 5 years ago!! time flies!!

We are getting packing and looking forward to leaving in 3 days!!!

I understand your dilemma reguarding your MIL, but try to enjoy the rest of your trip anyway. DO go back and try to catch that Nemo show anyway. It's spectacular! I suspect one of the actors was unable to go on, because if one person is not there, the show doesn't go.

Hi All ... and again, thanks so much for all the kind words, wishes and prayers for my DMiL. She's only temporarily out the woods ... but we can continue our stay as planned. She is going into hospice care and has been given a few weeks. It's all for the best really ... although as I'm sure many of you know, never easy. She is pretty much in a veggitative state and would never have wanted that.

Well ... we're keeping our chin up and moving ahead.

Donna ... so sorry to hear about your Dad.
Rosemary ... we leave Friday night, but we'll be with you in spirit! Have a GREAT time!
Kerri ... yeah, we heard about the rain! We're in Port Jefferson, how 'bout you?

We did the EMH yesterday at MK and it wasn't too bad ... (I still strongly recommend doing it the other way around). We managed to do all the mountains plus Pirates. Lunch at Pecos Bills ... very good (as usual). I'm always amazed at the quality of Disney food regardless of the "presentation"! Fixin's bar goes on forever and the burgers were great! OH ... earlier in our trip we finally tried a Dole whip ... REALLY good! I didn't realize that it's Dole's soft serve and not so much a pineapple reference (but that flavor's great too)! :banana:

OH, OH ... speaking of food ... went to Boma at AKL the other night. We had visited before (not to eat) and love the "look" ... very cool place ... BUT didn't like the food really. I like most everything but found it either too spicey or sweet or ... ah ... weird. :) I ended up with good ol' chicken fingers from the kid's section. OH, OH, OH ... wanted to include this about food ... went to Pop Century on a night when we had no ADRs. The food court there was AMAZING! :woohoo: We would good again in a second.

Back to yesterday ... DS and I did our traditional haircut on Main St. complete with color and pixie dust. As we were in there the barbershop quartet wandered in and sang a few songs and a young lady (Main St. performer) joined in. A "fireman" poked his head in and for a while they were exchanging jokes ... lots of fun ... true Disney magic! :goodvibes

We then went to Downtown Disney for some shopping and my DD (13) wanted to go to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. I love that she has never really lost that spirit! We actually got a walk in time (you can reserve 180 days ahead and spend almost $250. :scared1: )! We went with the basics ... hair and makeup ... . Took DS over to Once Upon a Toy to build a light saber ... very cool.
Then ... off to Chef Mickey's coiffed to impress! :cool1: We had a great time and, of course, had to watch Wishes from the parking lot :goodvibes ... kind of a tradition for us.

Well I'll let you rest your eyes! :) Today we're off to World Showcase and maybe Sea World tonight to catch a couple of shows and see those amazing Clydesdales!

Talk at you later!

Dave

Hi all ...
Well, let's see ...
We managed to go over to World Showcase yesterday ... very nice ...
AND ... we actually had a Magical Experience! As we entered America's pavillion I asked a cast member about the Voices of Liberty (they weren't on the schedule). She said they were in rehearsal :sad2: ... we LOVE them! Oh well ... BUT she asked if we would like to be the "first family" of that performance of the American Adventure. We said, "Sure!". She then led us up in an elevator to the second floor of the rotunda where we were seated at the railing. :cool1: The pre-show was a country-western quartet ... they were very good. We were then led into the theater by ourselves and told we could just go and sit wherever we wanted. We sat right up front and center ... no moving down the row for us, baby! :banana: At the start of the show we were announced and we turned to wave to the crowd ... pretty neat.

After making our way to Italy and Germany, we headed back to a launch to Boardwalk to catch the member event at Atlantic Dance ballroom. It was MUCH better than last week's thanks to Dee Vee Cee ... she's a riot!!:rotfl2:
It was a game show format and they had lemonade, water and snacks. There were some prizes and my kids actually got a cool 15th anniversary pin (DD answered a question) and my DS won a DVC umbrella in the drawing. But, like I said, Dee Vee Cee made it ALOT of fun!

We then took a time out at our beautiful, spacious, comfortable room at OKW. :cloud9: We then decided to go to Sea World to catch the night-time Shamu show (haven't seen him yet) and the Clydesdales (a real favorite of my DW). There is SUCH a difference in parks whenever you leave Disney! Others just don't come close in so many ways!

It was still nice except for all the non-Disney stuff ...

Well ... we're off to AK today to try to finally catch Nemo, ride Kali and maybe Everest. It's dinner at O'Hana tonight ... wish you were here! :)

Talk at you later!

Dave

Have fun at AK and 'Ohana, Dave. I have to catch up on your trip report but I'm sorry to hear about your MIL.

What exactly does Dee Vee Cee do?:)

Sounds like you've had some real magical moments!:wizard:

Donna I do remember that difficult time. Can't believe it was 5 years ago!! time flies!!

We are getting packing and looking forward to leaving in 3 days!!!

Hi Rosemary!

Actually it was in 2003. I just realized I typed in the wrong year in my previous post. Hope you enjoy your upcoming trip!

Donna

HOpe you actually get to see Nemo this time! Be sure to go early to get on EE, and I'll wish you pixie dust that you will have the "dream experienc" we got on that ride. They put us to the front of the line, let us ride wherever we wanted (we chose front), and then took us through the control tower. After teh control towerk we got to ride again (this time we chose back), and we had SO much fun!! Hope you get that!

We're dealing with a bit of saddness ... we found out a few days ago that my mother in law is in the hospital back home. She has been in a nursing home with dementia for several years now. Anyway ... she will be operated on tonight or in the morning for blood clots in her leg and lung. We're hoping and praying for whatever is the best
Dave,
Thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. I wish your mil well.

Enjoy the Nemo show ! We loved it when we saw it in Feb.
I'm heading to wdw myself in a day !

Hey!

Brief stop at our wonderful room before a quick dunk at Conch flats!

AK was great!!! Real high point was the Finding Nemo show ... WOW, WOW, WOW!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Just a smidge of backround ... my DW and I are music teachers who have always been involved with theater. We also are New Yorkers (Long Island) who have seen many broadway shows. This was right up there! In fact, afterward, I had to compliment somebody (I'm such a dweeb) and the audio guy was easy. I told him how we felt and he said the show will be coming to Broadway! :cool1: The music was written by the guy who wrote Avenue Q and the entire show is finished but they can only perform about 40 minutes here at AK. The performers, puppets, sets, music, etc. were top notch ... DON'T MISS IT!!!:goodvibes

DD also rode Everest and LOVED it. She and I did it last year and while I am a roller coaster nut, it left me a bit woozie :confused3 . I think it was the backward section in the dark. Anyway ... I chickened out and she had a great time. Well ... off to the pool ... like I said ... wish you were here!

Dave

Dave, so glad you got to experience and enjoy Nemo as much as I do! We have something in common....I'm a music teacher also!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter