• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Coming to you from OKW ...

Maybe it's a teacher thing ( although not music here), but I have to compliment when I think something is well-done. I am constantly taking ribbing about that from my teenagers. Last week, I went out of my way to compliment the manager at Costco. The place was the nicest Costco I had ever been to... someone deserved credit. I just feel like no one takes the time to tell you when something is great, they always criticize. Good for you, Dave!

Where is the Nemo show btw?

and while I am a roller coaster nut, it left me a bit woozie . I think it was the backward section in the dark
Me too Dave :confused3 I don't get it because I can ride Rock N Roller coaster 3x in a row.....I've ridden Hulk (at IOA) and Kraaken at Sea World and never felt as wobbly as I did coming off EE.
Glad u had a good day and got to enjoy the Nemo show !

Glad your family is still able to have fun! My kids really loved the Nemo show when we were there in March.

Still loving your trip report,
Suzanne

Into each life a little rain must fall ...

Well, it's nothing short of a miracle that we are packed and ready to leave by 10:51!!!
It's always sad :sad2: ... BUT ... thanks to this wonderful DVC we'll start planning our next trip as soon as we get home! :cool1:

This has been my first trip with a laptop and it's been alot of fun sharing it with you. You guys are terrific! You're kind words, prayers, encouragement have made this a joy! You are the main reason I love these boards (aside from the subject) ... it's the people!

I hope to post a bit of a "reflection" when I get home to touch on some of the stuff I may have overlooked.

We went to O'Hana's last night and enjoyed it ... it's still a bit pricey but thanks to our DDE card we saved $24! If you are annual passholders I highly recommend it! I don't know their names but the gentleman who always sang and led the games has been in the lobby now for our pass couple of trips. I miss him in the dining room but he really is wonderful out in the waiting area. I could listen to him sing for hours and he's quite a guitar player. The lady in the dining room now is not as talented and a bit insincere ... whaddayagonnado? Still fun ... kids loved the coconut races and learning the Hula.

We hopped on the Monorail to go listen to the band at the GF ... what lovely atmosphere ... we LOVE that band also.

We then came home to crash!

Today we are going over to FW for the wonderful horses at the Tri-Circle D and lunch at Trails End (great deal for a great buffet!). Maybe we can hop a launch for a last looky loo at MK.

Again ... this has been a pleasure ... I'm always sorry for all the comments I don't personally respond to ... it is so nice to read them.
I hope this finds you all well with your trips fast approaching!

I'll talk to you from Long Island ...

Dave

Thanks for sharing your fabulous trip Dave:goodvibes

I'm from Sayville.....on the "other" side of the LIE:laughing:
not to far away....

I just came back from 3 nights in montauk.....
1st thing I do is check the DIS.....
Holy Crow....you were still in Disney:lmao: :rotfl2:

I'm glad you got to see Nemo.....I also thought it was
top notch....
Little Mermaid is coming to Broadway.....Cant wait....

Anyway...hope you have a safe trip home....
Looking forward to your post trip report:surfweb:
Later
Kerri

Dave, You've done a great job with your real time reports. You sound like my kind of Disney planner - planning for the next DVC adventure as soon as you return from "Home" to home. :thumbsup2

My DW and I are now empty nesters and have been going even more than when the kids were littlle since we need only a studio most of the time now. The good news is that our grown children still enjoy joining us when they can.

You are absolutely right about the DDE card. In theory we have saved bigtime using it. Unfortunately, we may dine at signature restaurants more often because of it and "eat up" our savings. :)

I'm looking forward to your wrap-up report.

Dave,

Thank you so much for posting your live trip report from OKW. Very enjoyable and Nemo will be on our list in October!

Hope your mother-in-law is doing OK ..it is never easy, but Hospice is such a great organization..may you all find comfort and peace.

So nice to read a thread where the joy of a family vacation comes shining through!

We leave 10/26 for 9 nights at OKW in a grand villa and 3 studios ..our first family reunion since joining DVC in 1997 ...we will be a party of 16 ..looking forward to sharing DVC with our family!! (Family is all over the US...so it's been very difficult to arrange a full family reunion..so we're really loking forward to this!) Our first GV too!

Welcome home ..hope your travels were safe and uneventful! Thanks again!!

Peggy Sue

Hi Dave and Family!!!

Just found this thread and have truly enjoyed your trip reports -- I felt like I was there with you. :goodvibes

Although it's terribly sad about your DMIL's health situation, I can't think of a better distraction than WDW...just think what your frame of mind would have been if you were at home when you received the news. I sincerely hope her last days are pain-free and her family can be by her side. :grouphug:

We will be staying @ OKW for our upcoming trip at the end of August and I can't wait. :dance3:

Hope you arrived home safely and are already getting the dates ready for your next call to member services!!!

Dave,

Thanks for the great trip reports. I just loved them and can't wait until our next visit to OKW. I think 2 weeks is perfect:thumbsup2 .

We are empty-nesters and enjoy taking our DD, SIL and 2 DGDS every chance we get but have never stayed longer than a week. Your trip report is starting me in the planning process for a longer visit! We agree, the one and two bedroom units at OKW are just fabulous and although we have stayed at a few of the other DVC resorts, we still love our OKW!

Thoughts and prayers to your MIL and your family during this difficult time. Please keep us posted.

Looking forward to your "reflections" report. Thanks again for sharing.:flower3:

Hi guys ...

I figured I'd simply add a closing post in this thread to sort of sum everything up.
We've been home for a couple of days now and my DMiL is in hospice care and we're day to day. I'm so thankful that we had the chance to bring her down to OKW when we first joined some 13 years ago. We have wonderful memories ... my DD was only a couple of years old then.
That's also the wonderful thing about the DVC (I know you know this) ... the ability to share with family a magical experience in a magical place. :goodvibes
Through the years we have brought down all of our sibblings and parents at one time or another. In fact, as I write my DW and I were thinking of finally trying a GV next year at OKW for her family ... there would be 12 of us and we can do it in honor of my DMiL.

Anyway ... on to happier subjects!

I thought I might just jot down some thoughts as they come to me without being too verbose! I tend to run on at the fingers! :)

Hmmmmmmm ... where to start?

OKW -

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!:banana: You just can't beat the size of the room, the points and the atmosphere!
OK ... what can be changed ...
Shower heads! Old pull out sleeper sofas (I know they've started). PILLOWS! (like cinder blocks)
That's it really, I have high class complaints!:goodvibes

I always like to stay positive ... here are some of my positive musings ...

Shows / Rides Not to be missed - (of course I love EVERYTHING ... but these were some highlights for us)

FINDING NEMO (AK) ... a true Broadway experience!
Soarin' ... a favorite
Turtle Talk with Crush (I almost thought I didn't need to do this again but it had me laughing out loud!)
Carousel of Progress I love this as well ... a real sentimental favorite and I'm so afraid they may get rid of it if it's poorly attended.
(As I said we did and loved everything ... but the above sort of stand out)

Try to squeeze in these meals!
(We generally go to many of the "big" meals - character or otherwise ... for some reason we were a bit underwhelmed with some ... BUT ... here are some standouts that are seemingly plain and basic ... by the way ... we LOVE plain and basic! :goodvibes ... and after all our "vacation" eating ... it's broth and alfalfa sprouts for me!)

Pop Century food court ... GREAT food ... too many terrific choices ... lots of room and booths.
Trails End ... went there our last day for lunch ... wonderful food and value and it was virtually empty! We have been there many times and had the good fortune of getting Ken for our sever ... what a nice guy!!!
Kona Cafe ... for breakfast or lunch.
(Believe it or not, those were some of the stand outs ... but many other spots were really good.)

Some Disappointments (always few and far between ... our glass is generally half full)
Cleanliness in the parks ... papers and debris in MK gift shops ... I just don't see as many custodial cast members as I used to. Many bathrooms were not maintained.
The queue for Buzz had chunks of wall-paper missing from the walls ...
Boma ... just not our "cup of tea" ... but lovely atmosphere.

Well ... no doubt other things will come to mind and I'll be inspired to start another thread!

I have to say it again ... generally, it was a wonderful, wonderful trip!:thumbsup2

As I've said before ... may all your trips be fast approaching and last a loooooong time!

Dave

Thanks for sharing your awesome trip.....

I have been reading some about the maintenance issue.....
I hope it is addressed.....
With all the expanding they are doing....I hope they don't lose sight
of why they are the best....

OK....I have never been on COP....but now I have to....
Is that near Buzz.....looks like a coaster car...
I also love soarin.....my favorite....

Did you see monsters.....it was cute...

My trip is coming up soon.....I'm starting to get nervous about
the AUG heat.....I keep thinking the sun
will melt my skin off:lmao:
Thanks for the report
Kerri

Thanks for sharing your awesome trip.....

OK....I have never been on COP....but now I have to....
Is that near Buzz.....looks like a coaster car...
Kerri

Hi Kerri ...

I think you may be thinking of the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (something I still call the Wedway People Mover!). The COP is near Buzz ... it's sort of to the left of the stage they have set back there. It's a large rotating building. It's also one of the rides from the 1964 World's Fair ... one that Walt played a direct role in creating and loved.

Have a great time on your upcoming trip!:banana: I loved your thoughts on the August heat!!! :rotfl:

Dave

Hi Dave!

Glad you had a great trip! I loved reading your trip reports. Our family is not really big on the shows, but we LOVE the new Nemo musical at AK!!! Kona Cafe is one of our favorite restaurants too.

Prayers for your DMIL and all your family.

Donna

Today we are going over to FW for the wonderful horses at the Tri-Circle D and lunch at Trails End (great deal for a great buffet!).
Dave

How were the hourses? We have never done this before. What does it cost? Is there a CM that takes you on a trail? Or are you on your own. What times do they do this?

I would love to hear more about this because we are usually looking for something new to do and something to do on a 'non park' day when we want to relax.

Oh, and one more question......

How were the buses? Does everyone have to go up to the main building to catch the buses to the parks? Or do the buses come to stops close to the buildings where you are staying.

We are thinking of trying OKW, but the buses worry us.

Thanks,
DJ

Hi Kerri ...

I think you may be thinking of the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (something I still call the Wedway People Mover!). The COP is near Buzz ... it's sort of to the left of the stage they have set back there. It's a large rotating building. It's also one of the rides from the 1964 World's Fair ... one that Walt played a direct role in creating and loved.

Have a great time on your upcoming trip!:banana: I loved your thoughts on the August heat!!! :rotfl:

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info....

Funny thing is that was the ride I was thinking...transit authority....
DH asked what it was.....I said it just moves people:lmao:

Can't believe I haven't noticed COP...I will be looking for it....
at minimum to get some A/C:rolleyes:
Thanks again
Kerri

We are thinking of trying OKW, but the buses worry us.
The OKW busses are fine westjones :thumbsup2
They run the same as all the other wdw resorts. Not sure why people are spooked by the OKW bus system. Over the past 10 years we've stayed at all the values, POR, CBR, BCV, BWV, Contemp, WL, VWL and OKW. Can't find anything different except some share with other resorts and some don't. On average, the busses run every 10-20 min at OKW. I think sometimes peoples' perception is off. If you just miss a bus, a 15 or 20 min wait for another can "feel" long. But I think 25 min is the longest we've ever waiting for an OKW bus. I've had some sporadic longer waits with all the disney resorts we've stayed at.
So don't let the busses scare you off. You'll be missing out on a terrific resort. Hope this helps :thumbsup2

The OKW busses are fine westjones :thumbsup2
They run the same as all the other wdw resorts.

But don't you have to get up to the main building to take them, and then wait there? Or do they pick up at stops around the different resort buildings?

It seems like it could be a long walk to get up to the main building and then have to wait for the buses.

At Boardwalk (where we usually stay) they buses come to this one stop that is by the entrance and everyone waits there. I guess I am unclear how the buses work at OKW. Is there a central location you go to and pick up the bus?

DJ

But don't you have to get up to the main building to take them, and then wait there? Or do they pick up at stops around the different resort buildings?

It seems like it could be a long walk to get up to the main building and then have to wait for the buses.

At Boardwalk (where we usually stay) they buses come to this one stop that is by the entrance and everyone waits there. I guess I am unclear how the buses work at OKW. Is there a central location you go to and pick up the bus?

DJ

They do pick up at five different stops around OKW. None of the rooms are far from a bus stop. Anytime you want to go to the Hospitality House or the main pool you can just hop on the bus at the nearest bus stop and it will take you there. The bus always stops at the Main Building.

Paul answered correctly----I'm in WDW now and just getting back to this thread. The bus stops are scattered throughout the resort so you do not need to walk to the main lobby area. There is not central location. You should never be more than 1-5 min from at least one of the five bus stops. This map shows where the bus stops are westjones :
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/okwmap.jpg
Just an example.....in 2005 we were in bldg 45. It was about a 4-5 min walk tops to the bus stop near bldg 26 (Penninsular Rd). We've been as close as 60 seconds away from the bus stop some years. You could always make "close to a bus stop" you request.
Hope this helps to clear things up about the bus system at OKW---and OKW does not share busses with any other resort. Like I said, I'm in wdw now and I noticed that BWV is sharing with the Swan and Dolphin right now---at least the night time busses are.

That is good to know! I guess I thought you would have to go to a central location. Maybe it would work out for us. We are going to try for Beach Club, but if things don't work out we are looking at OKW as an option.

Thanks!
DJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter