Covid Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were there May 4th-15th with split Universal and WDW

We situationally wore our KF94 masks. If we were on the monorail or an indoor show we wore our masks and when we were in the skyliner with others we wore a mask. I think there may have been one or two times we didn't just out of forgetting. If we were in an indoor queue for long enough knowing we'd be shuffling with people for a while we wore masks. Some rides we did too, I know there was at least one or two times we did on HM but I know there was also one or two times without masks on HM. When we watched MK fireworks with what seems like tens of thousands (it was a lot that's all I know) we wore our masks and we did that as well when leaving The Studios over at Universal one night due to the mass of people. Masks were not worn though indoor dining (with exception to San Angel, inside the pyramid, we did until we sat down) and 99% of the time outdoors (we primarily focused on eating outdoors and the weather was pleasant enough if in the shade). I wore a mask on both flights (going there and coming back) my husband did not though.

With us I had brought 3 boxes of rapid tests (so 6 tests total to split between the two of us) for our trip in case something popped up I could have a first line of defense quickly should I have suspected something. We also used the hand sanitizer both ones we brought ourselves and ones from the various stations in the parks (which both Universal and WDW have).

We're on day 9 of being back, we took a rapid test this past Saturday before going over to my cousin's graduation party and they were negative.

We've been fully vaccinated for a little over a 1 year (2nd dose was in mid-april of 2021) and up to date (meaning 1 booster for us in particular) since just after Thanksgiving.

For anyone's peace of mind while the vast majority of guests did not have masks on there were people who did, no one batted an eye at us when we did.

We went for a week right before Christmas and 10 days during spring break. No one got sick on either trip and none of us had previous immunity that we're aware of. We had masks at Christmas but not spring break. We do wash our hands frequently as the kids touch everything.

You can get the KN95 masks for kids. They’re a step up from basic ones. Of course the best mask is one they can tolerate the best. I bought a box of colorful KN95s for my DGSs to wear.
I know they are available. My kids wear them. I can't get a good fit on them though so while likely better then others, it's no where near a true KN95 since gaps allow unfiltered air flow.

6 of us were at WDW April 30 - May 7. None of us got sick. Only one of the group wore his mask on a regular basis. The rest of the group rarely/never wore a mask.

How did it go? If anyone in your group was sick, staying home would be the responsible thing to do but if no one showed signs of illness, I think you'd be fine going to the parks.
We are all probably exposed to someone who was in contact with a person with COVID or has COVID and doesn't know it in our daily lives (grocery store, school, etc.) We can't stop living because it's a possibility we might get sick, not at this stage of the pandemic.

I've done my due diligence and gotten vaccinated and practiced safe hygiene but at some point I had to just live my life.

May 2021 - Was fully vaccinated (as it was considered at the time) and wore masks indoors and outdoors. It was rough but none of us got sick.
Jan 2022 - Fully vaccinated (with booster) and only wore masks indoors at stores and attractions. We did multiple indoor dining. My sister got sick second to last day but felt better on our last day, tested negative for COVID. No one else (group of 9) got sick.
It went well. He was feeling pretty bad on Monday night and I really didn't think he was going to go. Not even from a "responsible thing to do" standpoint, but just from his physical ability to endure the marathon that is a Disney park day. I ran to get him elderberry, zinc, and all of the witches brew things I could think of. He was taking them and drinking probably 160oz of water each day. Considering he is 20, fit, vaccinated and boosted I was hoping he could bounce back by Thursday as that was the deadline we set by which to decide if he's going. Tues/Wed was pretty bad but Thursday he woke up and didn't look or feel like a truck hit him. So he went.

We flew out Thurs night after picking my daughter up from school & stayed at the Hyatt Regency at MCO - which is what we normally do so we can be in the park by 10am-ish. I also got him his own room so he could be maskless. Next morning we took Mears to Bay Lake Tower. Had a 1BR with a living room area that had a pullout double and a pullout single - so my wife and I took the double, daughter had the single, he had the closed off room. That was only time he didn't have a mask on indoors. He'd take it off for brief moments outside in open areas with nobody around, but put it back on when around other people. We all wore masks in queues as well - not knowing if we could've been asymptomatic, but also as a "solidarity" thing with him. We also canceled all indoor dining reservations. Ate outside at Cosmic Rays, outside at F&G at Epcot. Ended up trying food we never would've, so that was a bonus!

It was odd at times. Virtually nobody wearing a mask, and we got quite a few eye rolls - which is ironic considering he would've preferred to take the mask off but kept it on out of respect for those in line around us. He tested again when we got back and was negative.... then said, ok let's go back now.

It went well. He was feeling pretty bad on Monday night and I really didn't think he was going to go. Not even from a "responsible thing to do" standpoint, but just from his physical ability to endure the marathon that is a Disney park day. I ran to get him elderberry, zinc, and all of the witches brew things I could think of. He was taking them and drinking probably 160oz of water each day. Considering he is 20, fit, vaccinated and boosted I was hoping he could bounce back by Thursday as that was the deadline we set by which to decide if he's going. Tues/Wed was pretty bad but Thursday he woke up and didn't look or feel like a truck hit him. So he went.

We flew out Thurs night after picking my daughter up from school & stayed at the Hyatt Regency at MCO - which is what we normally do so we can be in the park by 10am-ish. I also got him his own room so he could be maskless. Next morning we took Mears to Bay Lake Tower. Had a 1BR with a living room area that had a pullout double and a pullout single - so my wife and I took the double, daughter had the single, he had the closed off room. That was only time he didn't have a mask on indoors. He'd take it off for brief moments outside in open areas with nobody around, but put it back on when around other people. We all wore masks in queues as well - not knowing if we could've been asymptomatic, but also as a "solidarity" thing with him. We also canceled all indoor dining reservations. Ate outside at Cosmic Rays, outside at F&G at Epcot. Ended up trying food we never would've, so that was a bonus!

It was odd at times. Virtually nobody wearing a mask, and we got quite a few eye rolls - which is ironic considering he would've preferred to take the mask off but kept it on out of respect for those in line around us. He tested again when we got back and was negative.... then said, ok let's go back now.
So you flew and went to the parks even though he was symptomatic. Awesome

well im a canadian so not sure the stigma attached with masks.... I personally Could care less what the stigma is I use my parental judgement and my personal judgement accordingly when choosing to wear or not. My little girl still wears her mask in her school lol she is comfortable with that. HYGIENE and practices its basically all about common sence i feel. dont hold the rail of an escalator upto the food court and order burger and fries and eat prior to cleaning right? IDK more worried about Boarder crossing while flying lol

people rolling eyes and such bounce off me but thats me i could care less. the way i see it is anyone rolling eyes at anyone for any reason just clearly demonstrates the Lack of mind your business mentality which i am VERY strong about you do you ill do me sound good ? GOOD!

ok have to stop typing im already getting annoyed lol
its all good folks have fun stop worrying about others are doing is my opinion.

Virtually nobody wearing a mask, and we got quite a few eye rolls
And we didn't. Like no one even gave us a look whatsoever.

The things that got looks were when people were coughing and it was a more pronounced look when someone wasn't wearing a mask but it was also just in general. We're all just a bit hyperaware of that I think. It was gross before but like now now it's something easily zeroed in on and in the context of people, people are just gross beings lol.

well im a canadian so not sure the stigma attached with masks....
IDK I have seen more than a few Albertans express they live in a very anti-mask community. Like here in the U.S. it can get down to where you live and the collective experiences the community has had throughout the pandemic. Regardless that's about as far as we should go due to Board rules :flower3:

IDK I have seen more than a few Albertans express they live in a very anti-mask community. Like here in the U.S. it can get down to where you live and the collective experiences the community has had throughout the pandemic. Regardless that's about as far as we should go due to Board rules :flower3:
yes i hear that lol.... dont confuse wearing a mask to being forced to wear a mask I personally just dont like being told what i can and cant do but really if wearing a mask makes some more comfortable i dont see why its anyones issue or concern was kind of my point. :)
some people dont like wearing helmets when they ride bikes or motors? some dont like seatbelts...lol is what it is BUT back to DISNEY planning XD GOT the official OK from the wife im so excited for them lol.
Have a great day

And we didn't. Like no one even gave us a look whatsoever.

The things that got looks were when people were coughing and it was a more pronounced look when someone wasn't wearing a mask but it was also just in general. We're all just a bit hyperaware of that I think. It was gross before but like now now it's something easily zeroed in on and in the context of people, people are just gross beings lol.

Yes, very hyperaware of others coughing. I was on a flight in January of 2021 and put an almond in my mouth under the mask and started coughing on it. I then started laughing because I realized how I felt the need to announce "it's just an almond, I'm only choking" and everyone eased up. Because I said I'm only choking.

In the parks I find myself more annoyed by the people who walk right up against your back when in queues. Forgetting covid and all, how about JUST a little bit of personal space? I shouldn't have to feel someone else's feet touching mine when in line and that extra 2 feet you're moving forward isn't getting you on the ride faster. Pick your eyes up from the phone for 5 seconds and look where you're going!

Yes, very hyperaware of others coughing. I was on a flight in January of 2021 and put an almond in my mouth under the mask and started coughing on it. I then started laughing because I realized how I felt the need to announce "it's just an almond, I'm only choking" and everyone eased up. Because I said I'm only choking.

In the parks I find myself more annoyed by the people who walk right up against your back when in queues. Forgetting covid and all, how about JUST a little bit of personal space? I shouldn't have to feel someone else's feet touching mine when in line and that extra 2 feet you're moving forward isn't getting you on the ride faster. Pick your eyes up from the phone for 5 seconds and look where you're going!
I agree on the right up against someone but I will say one of the biggest issues we had is people not keeping up with the line. They ran the spiel many times throughout the rides about keeping up with your party. So while I agree with you no need to be breathing down my neck because I had enjoyed having more room when there was more social distancing in our lives, on the other hand the folks who were on their phones weren't the ones bumping into others in our experience, they were the ones who were not keeping up with the line..and it's the most frustrating thing..when you just miss the merge point because the person was on their phone not paying attention. So maybe the extra 2 feet doesn't get you on the ride faster but sometimes it really can. I think there's a medium for being aware of your surroundings and also for not being shoulder to shoulder with people either.

On your almond story lol not laughing at you choking but just that I can so relate, it does feel a lot like we are explaining ourselves and it's a weird reality when choking is lower on someone's alarm list than coughing.

I'm just curious if the monoclonal antibody treatment helped you and your husband. We do not have it readily available where I live. In fact, I don't even know if you can get it at all. It was never easy to get even when it was more "popular." You had to get a lot of permission and doctor sign-offs to get approved for it.
Sorry for the delayed response, but we are both still dealing with lingering symptoms and I'm not online much.
Yes, I think it helped. We were able to get the treatments at the ER in North Florida Hospital in Gainesville. We received Bebtelovimab. We are age 68 and 70 so qualified for the IV treatment. Our daughter also had severe symptoms but at age 40 was given the prescription oral medication. All of us, including the 6 and 9 yr olds tested positive eventually. The little ones recovered most quickly. We are almost at 2 weeks now from my DH's first symptom and he is still coughing, lots of post nasal drip, and sleeping a lot. But breathing is fine and no more fever.

We’ve been multiple times since the parks reopened, both Disney and Universal. I am not sure I can count how many trips we’ve done, it’s double digits.
Flew every time. Wore masks only were required, never when not.
We dine indoors, ride buses, all of it.
We are both full vaxed, starting the first day we were eligible.
Neither DH nor I have been positive. Nor do we have antibodies from being sick without symptoms

Went in early April and only wore masks on airplanes as required. I came down with a bad cold and fever upon return. Tested negative three times. Went again May 13-22. Didn't wear masks at all except on the airplane both ways, even though it's no longer required. Started to feel a little sniffly on our departure day but didn't really think much of it. Didn't go anywhere on Monday but was sneezing a little and had a little nasal congestion so just to reassure myself, I tested on Tuesday and tested positive. Never have developed any other symptoms besides very slight cold symptoms (in fact not nearly as bad as my post-April trip). I am fully vaxed and boosted so I guess that's why my symptoms are mild. DH and both sons still negative so far. Hoping they stay that way. Symptoms almost completely gone by now.

Was the 2nd time lesser being sick than the 1st time?
We didn't get Covid when we went to Disney (we were careful mask wearers everywhere), but I'm on day...23ish of the second time (daughter brought it home from school) and while I was less severely sick than the first time I was still *very* sick. I'm double dosed and boosted BUT my second time with covid was nearly EXACTLY on the 6 month mark after my booster. Like, I think I got my booster Nov 4th and I tested positive for Covid on May 3rd.

In comparison: the first time I had it was before they realized anyone that hadn't been to China could get it in 2020 and the doctor didn't know what to do with me (there were no tests really). I had 4 days of 103.8 degree fevers, I could barely move, could barely breathe, felt like my muscles were trying to break my bones, and my 5 year old asked me nervously one morning if I was going to die. And I felt like that was a real possibility. It took me MONTHS to recover. I lost 20 pounds (don't worry I gained it right back ;) )

This time I had one night of 103.8 degree fever and got on Paxlovid almost immediately. My cough didn't start until a week later and was pretty come and go, though I still have coughing fits now that make me vomit. I had one day of feeling like death but after that besides the fatigue it's been pretty manageable. I spent around 5 days in bed and then another 5 slowly testing my limits of walking around. I STILL get fatigued easily so I try to take it slow. People who get it mild are lucky as it can still very easily wipe you out.

It sounds like some who've vacationed are random testing to see if they're positive even thought they've no symptoms. Yes?

It sounds like some who've vacationed are random testing to see if they're positive even thought they've no symptoms. Yes?
I had very minor symptoms. Just a little nasal congestion and sneezing. We help with caring for my elderly in-laws so I tested as a precaution. As I mentioned earlier was shocked it came back positive but glad I tested before any of us visited the elderly. I wouldn't even call what I have as "sick".

I would have tested regardless when coming back but I probably would have tested maybe a day sooner than we did if it was just wanting to know. We arrived back at our house Monday 3am 5/16 and we tested around 3:30ish Saturday 5/21 which theoretically would have given the most opportunity if it was Omicron of something popping up without us having symptoms. Had we had symptoms we would have tested sooner than that and then re-tested ourselves.

Ours was a situation of going to a family grad party on 5/21 in the early evening (majority of those in attendance I knew for sure they had been vaccinated and boostered for the highest risk ones for sure, unsure for some of the lower risked ones) and while not without some risk due to at home testing sensitivity and without having symptoms it was at least something we could do. And with those testing without symptoms it tends to be best to test as close to the event as possible.

So I guess ours was random but always planned the difference being a slight difference in timing due to an event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter