Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years is right. This is not simply waiting for people to come back.
And like I said a little while ago, how many of the CMs - with all their knowledge and experience - that they just laid off will have completely moved on by the time Disney is ready to bring things back? How many former CMs will want to come back, knowing what can and has happened? A lot of these CMs I'm reading about have been around for decades.

Agree 100%. But, when international flights are allowed to resume and our nation is in a better place health-wise, 35% room discounts and free dining or whatever chintz they offer won’t bring those back who are waiting this out or entice those of us who have gone during the pandemic and are waiting for more.
I think Disney will need to be a little proactive with their offerings (especially after the 50th popcorn buckets and sippers sell out) if they want any meaningful recovery in 2022.

Yeah, whenever that is I could see a period of really low crowds at Disney as they tend to be a bit slow with adapting (or lack of proactive was I guess more than anything) - just think not their concern right now (even if should be, at least a bit)

I truly get the business side. I am in the process of getting a business degree right now. WDW and the Disney parks are not a normal business. I 100% grantee most if not all of us here on this board and even outside of this site visit WDW for more than just rides. There is so much more to the Disney vacation. I can go to a WDW park for hours and not ride a single attraction and be happy. I love experiencing the entertainment of all the parks. Right now these parks are just rides.

I have been called a lot of things on this website. A frequent one is a Disney defender, kool-aid drinker, pixie duster, whatever you want to call it. I will admit many times I am. I know we are in a very different position/situation right now than we are normally but it is getting harder and harder for me to defend them.

I'd be lying if I wasn't more excited for Universal right now either in November. Sure its a new to me experience but I am just not feeling the normal joy in Disney that I normally do right now.

But when is "back to normal"? Maybe Disney is seeing that it won't be until 2023 at the earliest and figures they will deal with those issue when they get to them

Today sucks, it really does and I feel for the people impacted. To me the biggest thing is how long Disney is now planning to be operating in "B mode" - this isn't ride it out for a few months, this is years
I think these moves make it clear that the earnings report is going to be absolutely brutal when it comes to Parks, Experiences and Products side of the business.

I truly get the business side. I am in the process of getting a business degree right now. WDW and the Disney parks are not a normal business. I 100% grantee most if not all of us here on this board and even outside of this site visit WDW for more than just rides. There is so much more to the Disney vacation. I can go to a WDW park for hours and not ride a single attraction and be happy. I love experiencing the entertainment of all the parks. Right now these parks are just rides.

I have been called a lot of things on this website. A frequent one is a Disney defender, kool-aid drinker, pixie duster, whatever you want to call it. I will admit many times I am. I know we are in a very different position/situation right now than we are normally but it is getting harder and harder for me to defend them.

I'd be lying if I wasn't more excited for Universal right now either in November. Sure its a new to me experience but I am just not feeling the normal joy in Disney that I normally do right now.
We felt this way in August. Spent one day in HS to build droids and experience GE for the first time.
Left HS excited for the last 2 days in Universal.
We’re excited for Thanksgiving week because Christmas at Disney will be new to us and we totally missed out on Flower & Garden for our cancelled May trip. But I wouldn’t be excited if we had family WDW Christmas traditions.

Yeah this is a low point - maybe executive level's lowest point. This is going to be remembered - has there ever historically been such a drastic slashing of entertainment?
What even was the purpose of the push for an agreement with the union CM's if this was on the Options list? Why waste the legal fees?

Yeah this is a low point - maybe executive level's lowest point. This is going to be remembered - has there ever historically been such a drastic slashing of entertainment?
What even was the purpose of the push for an agreement with the union CM's if this was on the Options list? Why waste the legal fees?
No nothing compares to this but at the same time we have never been in a situation like this. There were cuts after 9/11, and in 2008/09 but nothing like this. You can't compare it to anything.

My November trip is literally so I can try and get on Rise, MFSR, SDD, MMRR, FoP and all of HP at Universal. Going sans little ones that won't meet the height requirements for most of those attractions.

AK will bring me joy even with the shows not there because of the AK show on D+.

Obviously a lot of families go to Disney parks. That's a lot of pregnant women, young kids, grandparents, etc, who can't ride rides (aside from anyone else with physical and/or mental limitations or preferences). I had four somewhat complicated pregnancies, and went to WDW for 9 days stretches, rode almost no rides, and had wonderful trips. I have a friend who has such bad motion sickness than she can't even ride a carousel, yet she loves DHS. I guarantee it's bc of the CoH, Frozen, Indy, etc, and without them, I *know* her family won't go to WDW anymore.

No nothing compares to this but at the same time we have never been in a situation like this. There were cuts after 9/11, and in 2008/09 but nothing like this. You can't compare it to anything.

true but is it a proportionate response? Eventually we will know those numbers - how much they lost, how much of a lift they created by cutting these positions. And it can't be that hard to figure out how much they save by not paying people. I'm just wondering if this slash and burn is totally necessary for park survival as far as the numbers go or if it is just a corporate/exec strategy.

It’s going to be insane to look back on this when it’s “over” (said in quotes because obviously it’ll be a gradual end) and really see all the devastation this brought, both directly related to the virus and then these kind of impacts. I agree, you cannot compare it to any other recent major events.

true but is it a proportionate response? Eventually we will know those numbers - how much they lost, how much of a lift they created by cutting these positions. And it can't be that hard to figure out how much they save by not paying people. I'm just wondering if this slash and burn is totally necessary for park survival as far as the numbers go or if it is just a corporate/exec strategy.
The year end earnings report next week will be telling. 28,000 salaries gone surely saves them millions. They did take out a lot of debt if needed too. Like I have said I think some of this is warranted and expected. All of this? I don't think that is the case.

One of my friends, he performed in Remember the Magic, FotLK and wad currently in FNtM (btw I am asking permission to post these) when he days him, he's talking about a Mickey plush he's holding in his picture
:::OFFICIAL NOTICE RECEIVED:::

I’m a little speechless right now, 💔, and I will definitely say more later, but for now I will say this.

This isn’t the end. I will love him forever and carry the magic in my heart ALWAYS. THANK YOU MICKEY AND WALT DISNEY WORLD, FOR 20 AMAZING YEARS OF MAGIC. SOME OF THE BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE. ❤ SEE YA REAL SOON, PAL. ❤ All of my love to my Disney FAMILY. #thejoydoesntstophere
Gahhh these firsthand accounts have me in tears. This whole situation just keeps taking and taking.

Right there with you and having been to the parks twice since reopening, it already feels less magical and this forces that even further in the less magical direction.

It’s going to be insane to look back on this when it’s “over” (said in quotes because obviously it’ll be a gradual end) and really see all the devastation this brought, both directly related to the virus and then these kind of impacts. I agree, you cannot compare it to any other recent major events.
I’m married to an economist and so many want to hear from him about what this all is going to look like and he cannot provide any relevant data because nothing is comparable. All they can do is study it in real time and help allocate resources where necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter