Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The entertainment is WHY people come. Rides and shopping only go so far. If, when the pandemic is “over,” these offerings or something to replace them don’t return QUICKLY, Disney will struggle to fill their parks and (more importantly to bottom line) resorts.
I understand the FNtM due to spacing of performers. I understand FotLK because of the inevitable heavy breathing of the performers. I understand the streetscape because the walkways need to be as clear as possible right now. But, once back to “normal” being possible, these things NEED to return or have shows in their respective theaters.
With Frozen Sing-a-Long opened, there is no excuse, IMHO, for Monsters, Inc, to be dormant.
We’ve never partaken in Hoop-Dee-Doo, so I can’t speak to the show or the theater. But accounts I’ve read make it sound cramped and not conducive to the current climate, and modifications I’ve imagined in my inexperienced mind can’t be cost-effective. I hope it returns, because it’s something we’ve talked about even as a pre-cruise dinner.
They had already started working on new blocking for FotLK and FNtM befor the whole union/ Disney dispute, so that's not it. Pure and simple, they're just trying to save money

The news of all these layoffs are so sad 😭. The collateral damage from this virus has just been devastating and what’s worse is that we can’t even see the light at the end of the tunnel like we were all hoping for after the 6 weeks of lockdown in the spring. Disney I do believe will bounce back but all these employees laid off have a hard road ahead especially in the arts which are at a standstill right now.

Right but why do they have to stop there. DHS could use even more. Opening BatB could go a long way. That purely to save costs. At the same time though even with the covid testing site on property there are still issues within performing.

Very true.

The actor that played Jack Diamond
It is with great sadness that I announce my time with Walt Disney World has come to an end...for now!!! It has been 31 years of great fun. I met my wife here and have some of the best friendships because of my gig. A 31 Year magic career in one place, not bad! I would like to thank The Walt Disney Company for all they did for us during this difficult period. I will miss the guests who always stopped by to say hello... but especially my cast mates.... my Disney family.

If Indiana Jones survives it makes keeping Frozen singalong attraction make more sense.

They need people eaters there the most at that park.

One of my friends, he performed in Remember the Magic, FotLK and wad currently in FNtM (btw I am asking permission to post these) when he days him, he's talking about a Mickey plush he's holding in his picture
:::OFFICIAL NOTICE RECEIVED:::

I’m a little speechless right now, 💔, and I will definitely say more later, but for now I will say this.

This isn’t the end. I will love him forever and carry the magic in my heart ALWAYS. THANK YOU MICKEY AND WALT DISNEY WORLD, FOR 20 AMAZING YEARS OF MAGIC. SOME OF THE BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE. ❤️ SEE YA REAL SOON, PAL. ❤️ All of my love to my Disney FAMILY. #thejoydoesntstophere

I was told FotLK contracts are up next month too so even easier to make this decision.
So, you’re saying these layoffs could be as temporary as renegotiating a contract for this show’s performers (is that even how it works)?

Seeking a silver lining, it sure as heck doesn’t seem that way.

Remember when Chapek said CM's were the entertainment in WDW?

Wow.

Remind me again how much of a pay cut all the executives and management are taking in all this?

Possibly the single most frustrating part. Even if the math can’t save the laid off CM’s and the missing entertainment, show some solidarity with the thousands of cast being laid off for financial reasons.

The entertainment is WHY people come. Rides and shopping only go so far. If, when the pandemic is “over,” these offerings or something to replace them don’t return QUICKLY, Disney will struggle to fill their parks and (more importantly to bottom line) resorts.
I understand the FNtM due to spacing of performers. I understand FotLK because of the inevitable heavy breathing of the performers. I understand the streetscape because the walkways need to be as clear as possible right now. But, once back to “normal” being possible, these things NEED to return or have shows in their respective theaters.
With Frozen Sing-a-Long opened, there is no excuse, IMHO, for Monsters, Inc, to be dormant.
We’ve never partaken in Hoop-Dee-Doo, so I can’t speak to the show or the theater. But accounts I’ve read make it sound cramped and not conducive to the current climate, and modifications I’ve imagined in my inexperienced mind can’t be cost-effective. I hope it returns, because it’s something we’ve talked about even as a pre-cruise dinner.

But when is "back to normal"? Maybe Disney is seeing that it won't be until 2023 at the earliest and figures they will deal with those issue when they get to them

Today sucks, it really does and I feel for the people impacted. To me the biggest thing is how long Disney is now planning to be operating in "B mode" - this isn't ride it out for a few months, this is years

So, you’re saying these layoffs could be as temporary as renegotiating a contract for this show’s performers (is that even how it works)?

Seeking a silver lining.
I think many are temporary but that doesn't mean expect them back in a month. This month is longer than that. I wouldn't expect any of these things back for 4-6 months if not longer. Disney isn't even looking to bring back fireworks for 3-4 months at the earliest.

But when is "back to normal"? Maybe Disney is seeing that it won't be until 2023 at the earliest and figures they will deal with those issue when they get to them

Today sucks, it really does and I feel for the people impacted. To me the biggest thing is how long Disney is now planning to be operating in "B mode" - this isn't ride it out for a few months, this is years

Years is right. This is not simply waiting for people to come back.

Yeah, and we were all thinking once the shows started opening the crowds could spread, none of that now, get used to long lines for a while or vq with nothing to do in between rides

Years is right. This is not simply waiting for people to come back.
Agree 100%. But, when international flights are allowed to resume and our nation is in a better place health-wise, 35% room discounts and free dining or whatever chintz they offer won’t bring those back who are waiting this out or entice those of us who have gone during the pandemic and are waiting for more.
I think Disney will need to be a little proactive with their offerings (especially after the 50th popcorn buckets and sippers sell out) if they want any meaningful recovery in 2022.

Yeah, and we were all thinking once the shows started opening the crowds could spread, none of that now, get used to long lines for a while or vq with nothing to do in between rides

Yeah, that is a lot of what I am feeling (besides hurt for this directly impacted) - feels like there was some positive momentum (even things like announcing All Star Movies would reopen) and this feels like shutting that door that provided just a bit of optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter