Direct Sales Incentives - Fall 2020 (9/17 - 11/4)

Was just told I’d be given an April uy so no 2019 points?? I thought they were doing oct and dec right now.

I thought the practice had always been that you would be given current UY points (that looks like you got them for free). For October and December, since those months have not yet arrived in 2020, you'd be in your 2019UY, so you would be given "free" 2019 points if you buy them now. For April UY, you'd be in your 2020UY, so you won't be given 2019 points.

If I am off base, please correct.

Was just told I’d be given an April uy so no 2019 points?? I thought they were doing oct and dec right now.

That's right, since the April UY is currently in 2020 (because April is already passed), you would not receive 2019 points.

Just when I think I have this all figured out, I get myself all confused and realize I don't understand it all perfectly. I thought the sales pitch that you could get "free" prior year points was just a sales pitch, and that what you would get is current UY points, and you would pay prorated dues on those current UY points.

With an Oct UY, wouldn't 2019 points be current UY points? If you get 2019 points without paying dues on them, and you pay prorated dues for the 2020 points, then the 2019 points really are free. Am I missing something? (Probably, yes.)
I am glad I'm not the only one!
It's confusing partly because UY (and thus when you get your next points), and your MFs are not tied together.

Your UY controls the start and end date of your points. An OCT UY means that your *current* year always begins Oct 1 and ends on Sep 30. As we are in September, an OCT UY would still be *IN* their 2019 year. So, if you purchased an Oct UY, you'd get 2019 points (which you could bank), and then on Oct 1 2020, your 2020 UY would begin and your 2020 UY points would be available. Whereas an APR UY is Apr 1 to Mar 31, and so we're already in the 2020 year. You thus would not get 2020 points, but your 2021 points become available on Apr 1 2021 -- whereas a SEP UY would need to wait till Sep 1 2021 for their 2021 points.

MFs, however, are based on CALENDAR year for ownership at the resort. It doesn't matter at all when your UY is. You owe your fees from Jan 1 to Dec 31 every year. When you purchase direct, they PRORATE your fees based on your purchase date, since you didn't begin ownership on Jan 1. You only pay fees based on the time you actually own in the calendar year. If you have an Oct UY, they say that you get "free" points because you are getting your 2019 and 2020 points, and because you own pay one set of dues. But you only ever pay dues based on your calendar year, so the MFs aren't "free" on the 2019 points, if that makes sense. It is admittedly sort of a "bonus" to get those 2019 buying late in your UY since you can bank them, but you are really just getting what is owed you given when your UY is. Disney isn't giving you something for free, because legally you bought in during the 2019 UY.

But why won’t they let you bank them? The guide I spoke with said if you called in they would bank them and I believe a lot of others on here have been able to.

We have heard they were not going to let people buy those two UYs. I think it is to prevent even more points in the system,

They do not have to let you bank beyond the window. The Home Resort Rules and Regulations state they can allow direct buyers the late exception buy it is not guaranteed,

They have to give you the 2019 points since we are in Oct 2019 UY. But, the Banking late is an exception.

But, keep us posted.

ETA: I see that your UY is now September and the one person was allowed late banking. But, without a contract that is signed, it could get revered.

We have heard they were not going to let people buy those two UYs. I think it is to prevent even more points in the system,

They do not have to let you bank beyond the window. The Home Resort Rules and Regulations state they can allow direct buyers the late exception buy it is not guaranteed,

They have to give you the 2019 points since we are in Oct 2019 UY. But, the Banking late is an exception.

But, keep us posted.

He wouldn’t even let me have an October or December UY :(. It worked out okay bc I ended up buying a FW in October. It’s just a bummer to miss out on essentially an entire vacations worth of points.

But why do so many people say that the current year points are not free, and just part of a sales pitch?
IMO they are as good as free. You could buy a December UY today and have 51 years of Riviera points, or an April UY and have 50. The costs are exactly the same.

Yes it’s “just the rules” but to me more for the exact same cost = free

Whoa Whoa Whoa! ***.

bought 100 Riv yesterday. Oct 2019 points in account

Just got a call back from my guide.
Disney is not going to allow us to bank the current points.

Aaaand. BC I was adding a 2nd use year. They said I have to send a email expressing why I want a 2nd use year and how I plan to use it. Because it never works out for people and there are ONLY 25 DVC member (of the 300,000? I forget what he said) that have 2 use years!

They told me the same thing and I had to write an email expressly showing that I know what 2 use years mean and that I will have to manage them like separate bank accounts. I went with a December use year and was able to bank my points.

Last edited:
This makes perfect sense. But why do so many people say that the current year points are not free, and just part of a sales pitch? If I'm getting points that I never paid MF's on, and they are from before I entered into the sales agreement, to me that means they are actually free points. :confused3

The way it is pitched makes a buyer believe they are getting something that DVD is doing as extra vs. Simply giving them what they are buying,

So, that is why you see those posts. Obviously, strategic buying allows you to have double the points to start out, but you are still paying for them.

MFs have to do with calendar year and not UY so when someone says I got 2019 points and didn’t have to pay dues, its not really accurate because you are not paying them because you were not an owner in 2019.

Have seen many posts over the years where new buyers were lead to believe it was a special being offered and it is not.

I went with a December use year and was able to bank my points.
When did you buy? I just got my contract AKL Dec UY today but didn’t have time to review it. I was planning on banking those points because my work schedule won’t allow me to travel until next year. But I forgot to mention that to my guide.

They told me the same thing and I had to write an email expressly showing that I know what 2 use years mean and that I will have to manage them like separate bank accounts. I went with a December use year and was able to bank my points.

Was this recently?

I have to say this has put a really sour taste in my mouth for this direct purchase. I was excited that this purchase was going to be "call, tell them I want to purchase, sign docs later that day, be done with it"
But my new contract didn't come over at all yesterday. Not even an email from the guide. I spoke with him in the AM, sent my email about 2 use years and haven't heard anything.
Of course they found the time to charge my credit card.

When did you buy? I just got my contract AKL Dec UY today but didn’t have time to review it. I was planning on banking those points because my work schedule won’t allow me to travel until next year. But I forgot to mention that to my guide.

We signed our contract a couple of weeks ago at Riviera before the last incentives ended. My guide said they have had a lot of people in the past buy with a second use year not realizing how it needed to be managed differently from their other contract which caused issues a few years down the road. He seemed to insinuate it was more about the guides selling the bonus "previous use year points" to clients and really not explaining what it meant to have 2 use years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter