• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Direct Sales Incentives - Fall 2020 (9/17 - 11/4)

That is what I have read. If someone has pushed wanting the UY, the have to give Oct and Dec UY 2019 points, because it is the current UY.

However, they don’t have to let someone bank them...that is a courtesy thar DVD has allowed, but is not required,

So, if they really dont want to sell those UYs right now to new members, this would be a deterrent for sure,

The question is if they will let someone walk away from a sale, or will they cave and allow it.

I'd have to pull out the POS but I think it is more strict than that - that you will be allowed late banking if you purchase directly. Before it was formalized in the POS it was more hit and miss and at their discretion.

My best guess in all of this is that they need the points to cover the extensions they did and are doing for UY's who had banked points from 2018 but were unable to use them due to the resort closures. They're getting those points from unsold Riv points and perhaps other resorts they have.

I'd also guess that if one insisted and was going to cancel a purchase if they did not receive the UY they wanted that and exception would be made.

I’m guessing it’s based on what they have points for and nothing more. Since you already have a Dec UY, you are who they’re saving their Dec UY points for.

Dec is by far the largest UY for AKV (I think it’s like 30% of all points) so I’m not terribly surprised they have some availability there.

Ah, I see. My mistake then. I was under the impression DVD could change UYs to suit what was in demand.

So I originally asked about SSR (really just trying to get the blue card for cheap). I called back and was told that for VGF, SS, OKW, and several others I can only get Feb-Sep UY. But for RIV, CCV, AUL and (weirdly enough) AKV - I can get a Dec UY.

You can only count on current UY's at resorts that are not "sold out". If the resort is sold out then they might not actually have current years points from contracts they've reacquired and need to wait for the UY to start and have current points.

Ah, I see. My mistake then. I was under the impression DVD could change UYs to suit what was in demand.

They did give themselves that ability in a POS change before Riv went on sale but I don't know if anybody has noted where they've done that. It's almost like they forgot about it. Or maybe they discovered some complication in doing so where it had seemed like a good idea but in practice doesn't really work.

I'd have to pull out the POS but I think it is more strict than that - that you will be allowed late banking if you purchase directly. Before it was formalized in the POS it was more hit and miss and at their discretion.

My best guess in all of this is that they need the points to cover the extensions they did and are doing for UY's who had banked points from 2018 but were unable to use them due to the resort closures. They're getting those points from unsold Riv points and perhaps other resorts they have.

I'd also guess that if one insisted and was going to cancel a purchase if they did not receive the UY they wanted that and exception would be made.

It’s part of the Home Resort Rules and Regulations, and is indeed at DVCs discretion to decide to allow it or not, Here is the exact language:

They can adjust it, but they can’t create points that are not there. For example, they cant change an April UY to Dec UY, because April is already in its 2020 UY and Dec UY is not. There would be no 2019 points to give.

However, they could change an April to June because they are both in 2020 UY.

These two and OKW are the 3 DH and I would consider purchasing direct, and eventually might, if we find we "need" the blue card. The difference between resale and direct prices are not so pronounced on these and at some point, it makes sense to buy some direct points for the benefits. We are in ROFR resale or our 1st love resort, Poly, and would consider down the road adding on direct if/when we feel we need to. For now we are going to figure out how to manage and benefit from our resale points. Haha, maybe by the time we actually decide, Reflections will be on the table?!
We thought the same but did not want to be on the hook for a 125+ point direct contract if we decided we wanted blue card later. Minimum for direct is, I think, likely to continue going up due to a multitude of factors.

We thought the same but did not want to be on the hook for a 125+ point direct contract if we decided we wanted blue card later. Minimum for direct is, I think, likely to continue going up due to a multitude of factors.
Yeah kind of in the same boat right now. Deciding if we want to just kill two birds with one stone by buying AKV direct so we can get the blue card before points go up. Only want to end up with 200ish points total at the end of my dvc game so it might be the right move for us since we want to own AK & BLT. We stayed at Riviera about a month ago and were not fans of the resort so that is out of the question.

Yeah kind of in the same boat right now. Deciding if we want to just kill two birds with one stone by buying AKV direct so we can get the blue card before points go up. Only want to end up with 200ish points total at the end of my dvc game so it might be the right move for us since we want to own AK & BLT. We stayed at Riviera about a month ago and were not fans of the resort so that is out of the question.
What was it you didn’t like about riviera? Just curious.

What was it you didn’t like about riviera? Just curious.
Our biggest issue with Riviera when we stayed there was transportation. Every single time we went to use the skyliner it was not running. I'd say it was running 50% of the time due to weather. This would be fine but Riviera does not have actively running busses to HS or Epcot because they have the skyliner. They only run buses when the skyliner is down and it is about a 45 minute wait each way. This left us stuck at the resort multiple times over a 4 day stay. We also struggled with food. Topolinos is extremely difficult to get a reservation for and the quick service isn't open as late as a food options would be at other resorts. We saw multiple pizzas being delivered every night to hungry guests. Overall the resort to me personally felt small and almost not as grand compared to other DVC resorts but the lack of privacy was more of an issue. I felt like we could wave to people at Caribbean Beach.Now the positives were the rooms were absolutely gorgeous and the coffee at La Petite was great! This does not make the resale restrictions and high point cost and dues worth it to me.

Was it down for lightning or a mechanical problem?
Not sure, at some points it was down when it was raining and other times it was not raining. Regardless, I feel like it is a poor choice to not have buses running constantly when it rains in Florida everyday. They only have buses running between HS and Epcot when the skyliner is down for an extended period of time.

Not sure, at some points it was down when it was raining and other times it was not raining. Regardless, I feel like it is a poor choice to not have buses running constantly when it rains in Florida everyday. They only have buses running between HS and Epcot when the skyliner is down for an extended period of time.
This is my biggest concern about relying on the Skyliner. I think its fabulous when it is running. But it storms a lot in Florida. Hopefully they will get more efficient at getting buses up and running when the SL goes down.

It’s part of the Home Resort Rules and Regulations, and is indeed at DVCs discretion to decide to allow it or not, Here is the exact language:

View attachment 527806
So if I am able to get a Dec/Oct UY, they could refuse to give me points? Where would it be indicated if I were to get the 2019 points? It wouldn’t be in any purchase documents would it? Would I only know by logging into my account?

Could this maybe just be a Covid related issue? Cutting down on buses and bus drivers due to lower numbers of guests and also cast member furloughs?

Our biggest issue with Riviera when we stayed there was transportation. Every single time we went to use the skyliner it was not running. I'd say it was running 50% of the time due to weather. This would be fine but Riviera does not have actively running busses to HS or Epcot because they have the skyliner. They only run buses when the skyliner is down and it is about a 45 minute wait each way. This left us stuck at the resort multiple times over a 4 day stay. We also struggled with food. Topolinos is extremely difficult to get a reservation for and the quick service isn't open as late as a food options would be at other resorts. We saw multiple pizzas being delivered every night to hungry guests. Overall the resort to me personally felt small and almost not as grand compared to other DVC resorts but the lack of privacy was more of an issue. I felt like we could wave to people at Caribbean Beach.Now the positives were the rooms were absolutely gorgeous and the coffee at La Petite was great! This does not make the resale restrictions and high point cost and dues worth it to me.
I agree with all of this, that is why we bought a small contract so we can home resort tower or standard studios for only a few nights at the end of our trips.

Could this maybe just be a Covid related issue? Cutting down on buses and bus drivers due to lower numbers of guests and also cast member furloughs?
This was an issue before Covid. It may be exacerbated now with more demand on busses everywhere on property. But I don’t think it is solely because of Covid

I was told by staff that they only run buses when the skyliner is down so I do not think it is a covid issue. I think it's unacceptable for a deluxe resort at this cost to not have buses running constantly for people who do not like the skyliner.

I was told by staff that they only run buses when the skyliner is down so I do not think it is a covid issue. I think it's unacceptable for a deluxe resort at this cost to not have buses running constantly for people who do not like the skyliner.
Especially with guests scared of heights. I’m sure this policy will have to change eventually.

So if I am able to get a Dec/Oct UY, they could refuse to give me points? Where would it be indicated if I were to get the 2019 points? It wouldn’t be in any purchase documents would it? Would I only know by logging into my account?

No, they either give you the points for the UY you are currently in or they don't sell you the use year. That's how it's always been. That's how it has to be.

If you call today and they agree to sell you an Oct or Dec UY, they have to give you 2019 points.

However, now it looks like you have to make sure they are going to bank them for you past the deadline. :sad2:

Most likely, they will simply make you wait until Oct 1 (for Oct UY) or until Dec 1 (for Dec UY) to buy and then you will start with 2020 UY points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter