Disney's Magical Express and DVC

I think ME is a great service. I had questioned the wisdom of providing it. I figured logistics would just give Disney bad press. I was wrong! Disney got caught in the gasoline price surges, so I'm sure it's costing more than they've budgeted. We've used it for it's flexibility, sometimes DH and I weren't traveling together, sometimes we used it so that we didn't have to rent a car for over a week's time.

I'm not sure we would use it for a charge. Mear's transportation never was cost effective for us, and on most of our Disney trips we do wind up with a car eventually.

Our DVC guests have used it more than we have, and I expect that will continue, even at a charge.

Bobbi :)

We'd use it if they charged (depending, of course, on what the charge is). It works great for us.

I think introducing new services by making them free for a time is a great idea. Free Dining worked out great, and people now are very happy to pay for the service. I think folks will happily pay for Magical Express too!

Giving a "free sample" is a time honored way of marketing a new product. I always assumed it was free only for an introductory period. We have not yet used it, and probably wont. We just like our freedom too much, so we will probably continue to rent cars.

swich2mac said:
I am reading the Disney Q1 earnings report and noticed that domestic growth within the theme park segments were offset by higher operating expenses due to the Magical Express and the 50th Anniversary Celebration. You know what is coming next....... the Magical Express will either become a revenue generating engine or will be abolished.
The OP left out the important word, partially. There's a big difference between offset and partially offset.

Please read Disney's first quarter earnings press release, The Walt Disney Company Reports Higher First Quarter Earnings yourself.

Operating income (profit) for the Parks and Resorts segment during the first quarter was up 51% over the same quarter the previous year. Wow!

There was a significant revenue gain in the segment due to "higher hotel occupancy," "higher guest spending," and "higher average daily hotel room rate" — exactly what Disney was trying to achieve with DME and new attractions.

The report also says, "This growth was partially offset by higher operating expenses due to increased volumes and increased costs associated with new guest offerings, such as Disney's Magical Express at the Walt Disney World Resort and new attractions for the 50th anniversary celebrations." In other words, there were expenses associated with the revenue gains. But the revenue gains far exceeded the additional expenses.

The OP wrote, "the Magical Express will either become a revenue generating engine or will be abolished." However, based on the first quarter earnings, Magical Express already is "a revenue generating engine" — the revenue comes from hotel rates, hotel occupancy, and guest spending.

dianeschlicht said:
Giving a "free sample" is a time honored way of marketing a new product. I always assumed it was free only for an introductory period. We have not yet used it, and probably wont. We just like our freedom too much, so we will probably continue to rent cars.

We'll keep renting a car, too. For the same reason. Plus, we prefer Tampa to MCO, and next trip we'll probably fly into Sanford.

DisFlan

I've been waiting for them to announce what they are going to charge for it. As someone who usually travels on her own, I would pay a reasonable price for the service. I have been very pleased with it when I have used it.

tara98 said:
I have heard on a couple of posts that the ME will be free until the end of 2006, After that, Disney will charge for this service. :sad2:
Disney has never announced that they will charge for DME — only that it will be complimentary through 2006.

If they charge depends on how much. I'll go back to the towncar, if there rate is close to the towncar.

I think if they look at the increases in money spent at the resorts/park/resturants etc because ME keeps us 'captive' on site, they will keep the cost very low. If it goes over $12-15 a head, I will go back to renting cars and traveling off site for supplies, meals and more visita back to Sea World and US/IOA.

JMHO

Bill hit it on the head for me - we too were "captive" for the first time w/o a car - gotta say I loved it. We spent probably $150 more on "in-house" food / stuff than we would've if we had a car. Now, if we had to pay for DME then that whole scenario changes....and Disney loses my money from being "captive".

Great point Bill.

Bill's right of course - but as a single traveler I'd still use it if they didn't charge much.

I took Mears for years....ME is the way to go!

I have taken the round trip twice now and love :love: the "no worries" it provides about getting luggage safely to the room!!!

I am a newbie to DVC, and took golf clubs for the first time last week.

ME worked wonderfully for me!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Magical Express it great, but I wouldn't pay for it. The lines can be long at times. Free is good. If not, I'll take a cab, towncar, or just mears.

wdwtheplacetobe said:
I took Mears for years....ME is the way to go!

I have taken the round trip twice now and love :love: the "no worries" it provides about getting luggage safely to the room!!!

I am a newbie to DVC, and took golf clubs for the first time last week.

ME worked wonderfully for me!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
DME is opperated by mears
Paulh

tara98 said:
I have heard on a couple of posts that the ME will be free until the end of 2006, After that, Disney will charge for this service. :sad2:
Somebody will have to pay for it and I feel that the people using the service should be paying for it, and not me through my fees, ticket prices, meals, or whatever else they decide to raise prices on to cover the costs. We haven't used it and never will, as many people have not, so I don't think it would be right to ask all of us to pay for it.

dianeschlicht said:
We have not yet used it, and probably wont. We just like our freedom too much, so we will probably continue to rent cars.
Same here.
We need a car for the freedom aspect -- especially for stocking up on groceries whenever we need them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter