Disney's Magical Express and DVC

Hey, DD & Spiceycat,

It's probably worth your time to check out the Transportation board (if you aren't already). This is a big area of discussion and concern. What I've heard most recently is: Officially, demand was great than anticipated. ;) Unofficially, there was a problem with the tags; the ink didn't adhere well to the tags, and the bar codes/text was easily smudged and rendered unreadable.

Meliechick

don't worry - I panic easily - I just hate to fly....but it was a better bargin for me than driving. So I am flying!!! :confused3 ;)

if you hadn't posted I won't have called - oh I got a phone number too -
1-866-599-0951 that I might need.

I am flighting out of Atlanta....

My parents have always used Mears transportation and been very pleased with the service. On spring break in March, though, the whole set-up was different. Instead of being transported in a small van with just a few other travelers, they were put on a giant bus that made a LOT of stops. It took them much longer than usual to get to our WDW resort and the Mears driver explained that the new bus was due to the arrival of Magical Express. Mom and Dad have mixed feelings about the whole thing now... Not having to handle the luggage will be wonderful, especially for seniors and anyone who has trouble lifting heavy luggage.. But if it takes hours to get to the resort due to lots of airport pickups plus lots of resort stops, it may not be worth it. We'll have to see!

SpiceyCat, you are going "to boldly go where no one has gone before..." You will be our own personal DISBoard guinea pig! Good luck, hope it goes well, and remember to let us all know! :)

colleen costello said:
a giant bus that made a LOT of stops. It took them much longer than usual to get to our WDW resort and the Mears driver explained that the new bus was due to the arrival of Magical Express. Mom and Dad have mixed feelings about the whole thing now
They released the bus routes, and it seems that the highest number of resorts on a route is 5. BUT they promise that no guest will have to make more than 4 stops total. So if all 5 different resorts on a route are represented at pick-up time, they will send a second bus and do a 3/2 split. I remain optimistic about this (free!) service.

colleen costello said:
My parents have always used Mears transportation and been very pleased with the service. On spring break in March, though, the whole set-up was different. Instead of being transported in a small van with just a few other travelers, they were put on a giant bus that made a LOT of stops. It took them much longer than usual to get to our WDW resort and the Mears driver explained that the new bus was due to the arrival of Magical Express. Mom and Dad have mixed feelings about the whole thing now... Not having to handle the luggage will be wonderful, especially for seniors and anyone who has trouble lifting heavy luggage.. But if it takes hours to get to the resort due to lots of airport pickups plus lots of resort stops, it may not be worth it. We'll have to see!

SpiceyCat, you are going "to boldly go where no one has gone before..." You will be our own personal DISBoard guinea pig! Good luck, hope it goes well, and remember to let us all know! :)

Sorry, but Mears has used buses and done the "senic tour" for years. I think your parents have just been lucky! My one an only Mears use allowed me to see hotels at Universal and Kissimmiee prior to arriving at Disney. If you got put on thier buses that was the deal.

WOW! Five resorts per bus sounds like a lot - I think my parents MUST HAVE "just been lucky!" Mom would do Tiffany Towncar but she gets motion sickness very badly and feared the result in a giant car. She actually did fine on the rickety Mears vans...

It is nice that they will limit stops to 4. This gives you an idea of what is happening and what the trip will be like, and if you don't want it, fine. We have a pal from here on the Boards who is getting ready to go to Orlando in 2 weeks and she has promised to report back, too. This is her second time doing "Land and Sea" and she is guessing the transport service will be GREAT. She has nothing but good to say about how they work it when you go to Port Canaveral. Hopefully the Orlando service will be just as good!

Are the routes posted? Do we know what resorts share a bus?

yes I posted here some place

just go to the Transportation board - the WDW driver - Chip n' dale express (Tyler) has been updating everyone over their.

OKW, PO and SSR will share a bus.

the All star and AKL will share a bus.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like they are grouping them by location to save time. That makes sense!

Hope you have a great flight. I give you credit for flying because even Mickey won't get me on a plane! I think it is perfectly safe but am terrified nonetheless. Hope you haeva great flight from Atlanta to Orlando. It's a quickie! We'll look forward to hearing from you once you are back.

MS told me that if I haven't received my luggage tags before I leave - in B'ham I need to get the luggage recipts tags - once I am in Orlando go to the Disney Cruise Line - there should be a magic express line - I give the luggage tags to her. I don't have to go and wait for it.

We are flying down May 15, and our travel agent told us the same thing. If we don't get the luggage tags before we leave, take our luggage receipt tags to the Disney counter and they would take care of the bags :mickeybar

We fly out May 7, and haven't gotten anything yet. To make matters even more worrisome, Mom is meeting me, flying in alone (a first for her at 72 yo). So this morning, I called Magical Express with some concerns and questions. The man was so nice and helpful, I think things will go fairly smoothly. I'll report back on it!

Simba's Mom - I was also told to do something to my luggage so it is easy to identity.

I have different luggage - mind is green - not blue or black - so if your looks like everyone else - do something different.

then you need to descriptive your luggage to the person you give your luggage receipts too.

I am taking a picture of my luggage and I will give that to the person.

FYI, I just returned tonight, you can use the luggage service with a rental car. We used the return luggage (they started early to get the hiccups out) since we had issues fitting back in the car.

A note:

ALL PARTIES INCLUDING CHILDREN MUST CHECK IN AT THE DESK. (with photo id for adults) They tagged my bags and held my boarding passes until I came bacl. I am sure once everyone uses it, that won't be possible.

My bags to my surprise (5 in total) made it to Newark airport just fine. All luggage must be dropped no later than 2pm and at least 4 hours in advance (per the CM) or it will not be accepted.

I'll report in full over the weekend

Sandy

InstImpres said:
FYI, I just returned tonight, you can use the luggage service with a rental car. We used the return luggage (they started early to get the hiccups out) since we had issues fitting back in the car.
That's not entirely true.

When you're arriving at WDW, Magical Express officially does not allow "luggage only" transfers. Your luggage will be held at the airport until you check in for the motor coach. There have been several long threads on this subject, including "Can I use magcal express without actually using magical express????" There are some folks on this board who think it will be possible to get around Disney's rule. But I think Disney has figured out how to enforce it.

When you're departing from WDW, it's perfectly fine to use Resort Airline Check-in, even if you're not planning to ride to the airport on the Magical Express motor coach service. In fact, this FAQ explicity points out that it's okay. To use Resort Airline Check-in, you must be flying on one of the participating airlines. (In fact, the participating airlines list applies only to Resort Airline Check-in, not to the Magical Express motor coach service.)

Q: Do I need to ride the Disney's Magical Express motor coach to the airport in order to participate in the Resort Airline Check-in?

A: No. After utilizing the Resort Airline Check-in service, you can either take advantage of the complimentary motor coach transportation to the airport or arrange your own private transportation. Your checked luggage will be transported to the airport regardless of which transportation option you choose.​

Just a little off topic, but isn't this going to cost Disney a fortune? To move all that luggage and bodies. I can't imagine them doing this for nothing for a length of time.

mitros said:
Just a little off topic, but isn't this going to cost Disney a fortune? To move all that luggage and bodies. I can't imagine them doing this for nothing for a length of time.
Maybe, but then again your at their resort the whole time instead of travelling elsewhere......

When we signed up for the Magical Express using USAIR was not a problem even though they are not one of the participating airlines. Tags were to be sent 21 days prior to flight but none were received. Call to verify we were registered for the Magical Express 10 days prior and was told there were problems and luggage tags were being sent Fed Ex and if we did not receive them just claim our luggage and bring them when we registered at the Magical Express Desk in Orlando. When we arrived in Orlando we registered first and they were happy to retrive our luggage and send them off to our resort. Once we registered we were guided to an area with many roped off areas, each area were for multi-resorts where we lined up and waited for our Bus. Our area was Boardwalk, Yacht Club and Beach Club. They took the Boadwalk and Yacht Club and asked the Beach Clud to remain. On another Bus They then took the Beach Club and another group from other lines. We stopped at the Animal Kingdom Lodge then Beach Club and the Bus went on still Half full. We had only waited at the Airport approx. 20 Minutes before getting on the Bus. We arrived at the Beach Club about 3:00 PM and our luggage was delivered to our room at 6:15 PM.

For our return I had noticed an Airline desk where the DCL had been. Every morning there were people lined up and a large stack of luggage in this area so I assumed this is where you check your luggage for our return. I had been told if I had not received our tags to pick them up at our resort. The morning of our departure we checked out early in order to free up the room for the next guest. I inquired at the Airline desk about checking our bags. I was told they only provide Boarding passes for the listed Airlines and they do not do luggage. I mentioned that I had gone by this area on several days and observed people checking luggage etc. at this location. I had not seen this specific person there before and she insisted they do not do luggage. We both inquired at the front desk and they pointed to the Airline Desk. We then went to the Bell Service and they pointed to the Airline Desk. They began a conversation with each other that was not helping me. I interrupted them and asked to chech my bags with Bell Service as I normally do. When the Bus came 15 minutes earlier than scheduled I retrived my luggage put them on the bus and off we went to the Airport.

We normally use Mears when its just the 2 of us so this saved me $50.+

We have 11 going in November and I do plan on using the Disney Magical Express for that trip. Just like the new booths going up at some of the resorts to be able to charge for parking ( I was told not being run by the Resorts ) there is talk that there will be some charge in the future for this EXPRESS Service when the many bugs are worked out. When you see the number of Disney people at the airport just pointing you in the right direction you will understand.

mitros said:
yea and eating all the time onsite and spending all your mony only in disney looks like a good buisness plan to me speculate to acumalate
Paulh

If we rent points from a DVC member for Old Key West are we entitled to use Magical Express to and from the airport?
We normally rent a car each year but would like to try something different and just relax using Disney transport.
Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter