Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just made our reservations for the Poly for August. We'll be there 8/6 through 8/13 - staying in the Hawaii longhouse. This will be our first visit to the Poly, and we're looking forward to it. Glad to join the thread! I'm sure I will have a ton of questions.

I asked for Rarotonga too. I recently stayed at a Marriott and had a swollen red face in the morning because of the pillowcase. I felt ill for days, because the reaction is no different from your body's reaction to an illness. It is a contact dermatitis that has become much more reactive with age. The more you can avoid the cause, the better you will be in the long run. Yes, tell Disney or your travel agent to have the room deep cleaned and the linens (and towels) washed with allergen free detergents.

My oldest daughter had horrible problems with the pillows at Disney a few years ago. By the end of our trip, her face looked like it had a really nasty sunburn. She brings a travel pillow now whenever we stay in a hotel. In her case, I don't know if it was an allergy so much as irritation from what I assume is the bleach used to keep everything so white. The request for a deep clean is a good idea. But I might bring my own pillow on the off chance housekeeping makes a mistake at some point and doesn't provide the right linens.

Very excited to be making my ADRs in two days! Even lucked out with a Saturday for my early morning rise! I'll be rearing to go with my laptop, iPad and cuppa tea or two! :dogdance:

Hope you got everything you wanted :wizard:.

Only up to page 140-- but taking a break to thank everyone for all the pictures, information, etc. We'll be staying in the DVC studios (me, dh, and youngest dd and ds-- the two older ones will be off into the adult world) in September. The Poly has been my dream resort since I first went to WDW in 1975 as a little kid (stayed off property at the Dutch Inn-- which is under one of the Downtown Disney hotels now). Really looking forward to our stay.

The Poly is amazing, you will love it! :goodvibes

I 'think' I'm going to request Samoa main pool view. We have a standard room booked. I really don't want monorail. Is there that much noise at night? (Horn from boats?) What about relaxing on balcony during day, any privacy at all? I liked that idea of this view bec if one of us take a break from swimming we can look out and see the others in the pool. I know nothing is guaranteed but those were my thoughts. I'd love more of a lagoon/beach view but I don't want a lot of boat noise. Any suggestions? We are getting so excited for our anniversary trip.

We stayed in Samoa (loved it), but had a view of the quiet pool. I didn't think the boat horns were all that noisy, but in all honesty, hearing the horns is one of the things I love about staying at the Poly so I'm really no help in saying whether or not they are bothersome. Hopefully others will give some input :flower3:.

I was also excited this past Friday and then I got the DREADED, "sorry for the paws" message. I had to call in every single reservation in! :mad::mad::mad:
Hope you have better luck but be prepared to call. I'm still fuming!

I'm sorry you had to call, but hopefully you were able to get what you wanted :).

A CM said that MDE is having a glitch with the +10 days after the 180. We have a split stay and had to call both times for our ADRs this week. Very annoying.

It does get annoying to not be able to book online :(. I hope everything you wanted was available when you called.

We just made our reservations for the Poly for August. We'll be there 8/6 through 8/13 - staying in the Hawaii longhouse. This will be our first visit to the Poly, and we're looking forward to it. Glad to join the thread! I'm sure I will have a ton of questions.

Happy planning! Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

My boys really wanted to stay at the BC this trip (and we are) but DH and I couldn't stay away from the Poly so we just added two nights there at the end of our trip. We are very excited! I requested Samoa as it's our favorite longhouse. We can't wait!

Yes you are right. I just got confirmation they started Hawaii on the Oasis pool side (garden view)

Do you think most of the work will be done by August? We booked a Garden CL room for the first week. We typically don't spring for a view when doing CL, because we don't spend a lot of time in the room (especially when the CR and Poly lounges have great views already), but I might consider the lagoon view if the construction will be still going on then - but the price. Gah!

Hi. We're staying at Poly for the 1st time in May and I have 2 questions.

I know marshmallow roasting on the beach starts at 6 but how long does it go? I'd like to take the kids on our arrival day but with the hour change, I don't know that we could eat dinner any earlier than 6. It would be nice to do marshmallows after dinner but I don't want to miss it.

I really want to see the MK fireworks from the beach but we're not sure the kids will be up for another late night (we are doing Wishes in the park to see Tink and the projection show and also doing Illuminations). I'm toying with the idea of going out to the beach one night on my own. But does Poly feel safe being a solo female at night? We stayed at POFQ last year and it was very dark and secluded feeling at night. Given the theming at Poly, I assume it's similar. Are there enough people around that you don't feel alone?

Congrats on booking another trip to the Poly! February will be here before you know it :goodvibes.
Well, you were right! Less than a week to go!
We did theme park view because DD is usually in bed before Wishes. In our check in requests we asked for top floor and balcony, since we didn't have a preference between the two theme park view buildings.
Can't wait!

I'm toying with the idea of going out to the beach one night on my own. But does Poly feel safe being a solo female at night? We stayed at POFQ last year and it was very dark and secluded feeling at night. Given the theming at Poly, I assume it's similar. Are there enough people around that you don't feel alone?

It feels very safe at night and it is pretty much 100% likely that you won't be by yourself out on the beach for Wishes! A lot of people come from other resorts and from off property to watch Wishes from the Poly beach. There are torches covering the entire property and you will be close by the feature pool so it is lit. I'm 17 and have felt comfortable going out to the beach alone at night! Even when my family stays at the GF or CR I feel comfortable going over and watching Wishes from the beach at Poly and my parents feel it is safe enough to let me.

Hi. We're staying at Poly for the 1st time in May and I have 2 questions.

I know marshmallow roasting on the beach starts at 6 but how long does it go? I'd like to take the kids on our arrival day but with the hour change, I don't know that we could eat dinner any earlier than 6. It would be nice to do marshmallows after dinner but I don't want to miss it.

I really want to see the MK fireworks from the beach but we're not sure the kids will be up for another late night (we are doing Wishes in the park to see Tink and the projection show and also doing Illuminations). I'm toying with the idea of going out to the beach one night on my own. But does Poly feel safe being a solo female at night? We stayed at POFQ last year and it was very dark and secluded feeling at night. Given the theming at Poly, I assume it's similar. Are there enough people around that you don't feel alone?

We've done the marshmallows so many times I should know the answer to your question, but I'm just not sure. Maybe 1-1.5 hours, roughly? Also 100% agree with the PP, Poly is very well lit, very safe, and you will NEVER be alone. It's about a fraction of the size of POFQ. The beach / feature pool area is somewhat of a hub of activity, always people around. Enjoy the trip!

My boys really wanted to stay at the BC this trip (and we are) but DH and I couldn't stay away from the Poly so we just added two nights there at the end of our trip. We are very excited! I requested Samoa as it's our favorite longhouse. We can't wait!

I think 2 nights at the Poly will be a great end to your trip! :goodvibes.

I'm toying with the idea of going out to the beach one night on my own. But does Poly feel safe being a solo female at night? We stayed at POFQ last year and it was very dark and secluded feeling at night. Given the theming at Poly, I assume it's similar. Are there enough people around that you don't feel alone?

I agree with the pp's that it's nicely lit up and there will be plenty of people around. Even after the fireworks there's usually a good number of people walking around the resort/beach area for awhile :).

Well, you were right! Less than a week to go!
We did theme park view because DD is usually in bed before Wishes. In our check in requests we asked for top floor and balcony, since we didn't have a preference between the two theme park view buildings.
Can't wait!

:yay: :yay:

Good luck with your requests. Have a great time :wizard:.

It feels very safe at night and it is pretty much 100% likely that you won't be by yourself out on the beach for Wishes!

We've done the marshmallows so many times I should know the answer to your question, but I'm just not sure. Maybe 1-1.5 hours, roughly? Also 100% agree with the PP, Poly is very well lit, very safe, and you will NEVER be alone. It's about a fraction of the size of POFQ. The beach / feature pool area is somewhat of a hub of activity, always people around. Enjoy the trip!

Thank you (and mickeynut1). I wasn't worried about the beach, itself but the walk, not being sure where our rooms will be. I've been known to get turned around.

A CM said that MDE is having a glitch with the +10 days after the 180. We have a split stay and had to call both times for our ADRs this week. Very annoying.
I guess so, I had to phone for all my ADRs. Was unable to do it online.

My oldest daughter had horrible problems with the pillows at Disney a few years ago. By the end of our trip, her face looked like it had a really nasty sunburn. She brings a travel pillow now whenever we stay in a hotel. In her case, I don't know if it was an allergy so much as irritation from what I assume is the bleach used to keep everything so white. The request for a deep clean is a good idea. But I might bring my own pillow on the off chance housekeeping makes a mistake at some point and doesn't provide the right linens.
I wonder if just bringing you own pillow case would work? A bright one so they don't mistake it for resorts!

When I was a child in the 80s and 90s this was the go to resort for my family. My husband and I gravitated to the Boardwalk pre kids. Now that we have a son we think we should stay at a monorail resort since we will probably spend the most time at the Magic Kingdom and want to get back for a nap in the afternoon.

Typically we aren't picky about rooms since we hardly ever spend much time there but we will now since we will have our son. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a room location/building to request or any room selection tips?

When I was a child in the 80s and 90s this was the go to resort for my family. My husband and I gravitated to the Boardwalk pre kids. Now that we have a son we think we should stay at a monorail resort since we will probably spend the most time at the Magic Kingdom and want to get back for a nap in the afternoon.

Typically we aren't picky about rooms since we hardly ever spend much time there but we will now since we will have our son. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a room location/building to request or any room selection tips?

We love Samoa! The location can't be beat. On one side you have the feature pool and on the other is the Oasis Pool. It is also very close to the GCH and a short walk to the busses. There are no balconies on the second floor so we always request third floor. I've never stayed in Fiji but it seems a lot of people like that longhouse, too.

Enjoy your trip! I think it is a great location and you'll enjoy the ease of getting back to the Poly for naps for your son.

ETA - Welcome to the DIS! I see you just joined. Hopefully you'll find the boards helpful.

Hello fellow Poly lovers!

Please remind me - What time does the Lava Pool open? I thought it was 9:00am. But .....
I saw a picture of a sign by the new Oasis Pool and the posted hours are 7:00am-11:00pm.

We are headed back to the Poly in August and plan to spend our arrival day just relaxing at the Lava Pool. We should be arriving at the resort around 7:30am (and have an 8:00am ADR at Kona that I could cancel). We'd like to get a table by the Barefoot Pool Bar so we want to get there right when the pool opens.

TIA!
Debbie

Please remind me - What time does the Lava Pool open? I thought it was 9:00am. But .....
I saw a picture of a sign by the new Oasis Pool and the posted hours are 7:00am-11:00pm.

We are headed back to the Poly in August and plan to spend our arrival day just relaxing at the Lava Pool. We should be arriving at the resort around 7:30am (and have an 8:00am ADR at Kona that I could cancel). We'd like to get a table by the Barefoot Pool Bar so we want to get there right when the pool opens.

TIA!
Debbie

Was 9AM this past June and October. My assumption is that since it looks like the Oasis pool won't have life guards, it has a more generic/standard opening time.

We love Samoa! The location can't be beat. On one side you have the feature pool and on the other is the Oasis Pool. It is also very close to the GCH and a short walk to the busses. There are no balconies on the second floor so we always request third floor. I've never stayed in Fiji but it seems a lot of people like that longhouse, too.

Enjoy your trip! I think it is a great location and you'll enjoy the ease of getting back to the Poly for naps for your son.

ETA - Welcome to the DIS! I see you just joined. Hopefully you'll find the boards helpful.
Thanks for being so welcoming!

TIA!
Debbie

Just wanted to say that sounds like a perfect first day...We have a Poly trip planned for August too..and might just follow that same itinerary!

~Texting question: I asked this over on the CL board but no one seems to know the answer...Is this currently an option for people staying CL at the Poly..? TIA :flower3:

While we are WDW veterans..it's only our 2nd Poly stay...and very first during the summer...and we are so excited about it!

:wave2: Hi Mickeynut!

Me again! Guess I'm getting excited! Since I'll be traveling with a little one we will have early nights so no staying for the fireworks. Any tips on what type of room to request to be able to see them from our room? Samoa good for that? Thanks!

We just returned home from a 7 night stay at the Poly. It was a wonderful trip.
This was our first stay at this resort. We usually stay at YC, but with the construction, we thought a change might be nice.
We had a 3rd floor room in Fiji facing the marina. The location was great! We enjoyed the ease of getting to both Magic Kingdom and Epcot.
We will be back for 4 nights in June before our first Disney cruise. I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter