Does anyone else kind of just want to get this virus and get it over with?

I agree that would be a "bright side" of catching it and recovering. However, 1) it could mutate and you could potentially catch it again... we just don't know yet if that would happen. 2) I'd hate to gamble on "healthy" being enough to save me. I have heard of several otherwise "healthy without qualifiers" people who have had serious complications, 3) it sounds like you might have some at-risk people in your life, like I do... I'm not willing to gamble that I won't pass it on to them, so I'm doing my best not to get it.

I don't have at risk people in my life. My kids are autistic but in excellent physical health. In fact, I'm almost convinced my 15 year old already had this in January.

This is a virus and Fauci has said that it is highly unlikely that you will catch this again.

Two people in their 40s have died in CO. Neither had a condition that would put them in the high risk group. So, no, I don't want to catch this virus.

I have a few doctor friends working in hospitals and have heard anecdotally from a couple of them that almost EVERY critical case is someone who either has an underlying health condition OR is overweight or a smoker/former smoker.

The smoking and overweight parts aren't being shared widely via the media, and they never make the list of conditions that put people at higher risk, but a friend who is an ER doc in NYC along with one who is the director of admissions at UCSF medical center have said this is the reality. Obesity seems to be the biggest risk factor among the "under 50" deaths. BMI over 30.

Nope.
My husband is a type 1 diabetic. We are already at a high enough risk that I don't need anyone making an effort to get it. The thing that makes this particular virus extra is that you can pass it on when you have no symptoms. Imagine you started feeling sick today and it happened to be this virus. Now, just think about everyone and everything you came in contact with for the last two weeks...every cashier, every person you passed, every gas station handle, countertop in a public place, door handle. Every single one of those people and objects is a potential transfer point for the virus. And in two weeks? the people and things you came in contact with at the beginning of this time frame would have EACH come in contact with around the same number as you...and so on and so on. If you don't practice social distancing even when you feel healthy, you could be passing on the virus EXPONENTIALLY. Eventually someone may find their way to me, or my kid, or my husband...and for HIM this virus could mean dire consequences.

So please, for my sake and for the sake of LOTS of people who love someone at risk or are at risk themselves...just deal with the inconvenience and the difficulty of distancing for a while. This is SO much bigger than just how one person feels.

Like I said, I have stayed home for the last 2 weeks. Seriously. I went to 2 grocery stores last Friday and used self checkout. I didn't touch anything except the cart and the things I purchased. Prior to that, I went grocery shopping on March 13.

I understand how this spreads and I would never want to be responsible for spreading it. I would never leave my home with any symptoms, and even didn't do that before all this mess. I would order grocery delivery if I was sick and needed things. In fact, I did this back in January both when my son was sick and when I was sick again 10 days later. I am a SAHM and don't really come into contact with that many people in my regular life anyway.

I think people are misinterpreting the OP to interpret that she is not being careful, social distancing, etc. She's not saying she is trying to get the virus, just sometimes wonders about it. Chances are the majority of us will get it eventually.

No more than I would want to put a revolver to my head to play Russian roulette. Yeah, some chambers are empty. But several have me hospitalized on a vent where the only people I see are in protective gear or dead.
So you are saying everyone on a ventilator dies? Doesn't seem right since they are so eager to get so many more of them to save lives.

I get what you're feeling. I have had the same thoughts. But since I'm not a "spring chicken" anymore, my odds of making it through aren't as great as they used to be.

I am going to assume that I will contract the virus but I am hoping it happens later on when they become more proficient or knowledgeable at treating the serious cases (if they can get better at it).

Yeah, this is the other competing thought in my mind. Maybe it's better to wait until they have found a reliable treatment so that your odds are even further increased of avoiding a bad outcome.

Many, many healthy people your age have been killed by this virus. Many more are on ventilators in ICUs right now. It’s a myth that it’s only dangerous if you’re elderly or have health problems.

I don't believe this. Who are these "many, many?" Every official statistic I've seen puts the mortality at my age at around 0.4%. However, that is for ages 40-49. It doesn't account for gender (women fare better than men) and ALSO doesn't address weight or smoking status. The only preexisting conditions they are tracking are cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, cancer, and chronic respiratory disease.

So, the 0.4% is the death rate among ALL patients 40-49 INCLUDING those who are overweight or smokers.

The death rate for someone like me is probably more like 0.2% or less.

I think people are misinterpreting the OP to interpret that she is not being careful, social distancing, etc. She's not saying she is trying to get the virus, just sometimes wonders about it. Chances are the majority of us will get it eventually.

So you are saying everyone on a ventilator dies? Doesn't seem right since they are so eager to get so many more of them to save lives.
I know she is being careful. Just want to make sure it stays that way. Typo should have said or dead. I will go fix it.

So you get it ( the virus). How do you guarantee you do not spread it to another soul who may not be so lucky?

We are YEARS away from knowing the health effects that Covid 19 victims may or may not have in their future

Well, I mean, I could have it right now couldn't I? So could you. How are you preventing spreading it? Staying home, I assume, just like I am.

To clarify, I'm not advocating spreading it around or, like, holding a Covid party or anything crazy like that.

I'm just saying, I've thought about how much less I would have to worry if I just inadvertently caught this virus and recovered. I'm not setting out to get it.

Most doctors agree that once you have it you build up antibodies against it. So the chances of getting it again are very slim.

Yes. Literally every other virus (according to Dr. Fauci) confers immunity once you get it and recover. There is no reason to believe this virus will behave any differently.

Remember how that flu came around a few years ago and people who were over 60 at the time had immunity because the same strain was around in the late 1950s? That's why that flu affected young people so much more disproportionately.

Absolutely not. They don't even know what it does long term to your lungs. I would hate to suffer for the rest of my life.

So far, what I have read is that only people who actually develop the pneumonia and require ventilation or develop ARDS are at risk of having long term lung damage.

Many people get this virus and it never even moves into their lungs.

Well, I mean, I could have it right now couldn't I? So could you. How are you preventing spreading it? Staying home, I assume, just like I am.

To clarify, I'm not advocating spreading it around or, like, holding a Covid party or anything crazy like that.

I'm just saying, I've thought about how much less I would have to worry if I just inadvertently caught this virus and recovered. I'm not setting out to get it.
I know. I'm sorry. But when two of your friend are on vents. My friend's healthy soccer coach jus died from it, I'm rather sensitive.

Yes. Literally every other virus (according to Dr. Fauci) confers immunity once you get it and recover. There is no reason to believe this virus will behave any differently.

Remember how that flu came around a few years ago and people who were over 60 at the time had immunity because the same strain was around in the late 1950s? That's why that flu affected young people so much more disproportionately.
There are also viruses that can reactivate like chicken pox becoming shingles. Since it’s a new-to-humans virus we can’t know how it will affect survivors long term.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter