Does anyone else kind of just want to get this virus and get it over with?

Just FYI for everyone.

A serological test, like an ELISA, to detect antibody titers is time and illness severity dependent. We don’t know this virus-specific T-cell response in COVID-19 patients. So, it’s impossible to say with 100% certainty whether having had the illness makes one immune. We haven’t gone through another SARS-COV-2 season yet to see whether reinfection is possible. Though based on general knowledge of viruses and past studies of MERS, we have some idea. But, again, caution to compare MERS and SARS-COV-19 since they’re not exactly the same virus.

What some of the MERS studies show is that active antibody titer was still detected at 2 to 5 years for patients who had severe pneumonia (likely ventilated and recovered). For mild pneumonia patients, there was none detectable at the 2 year mark. And for mild symptom or asymptotic patients, there was none detected after 12 months. This showed that it’s theoretically possible for a reinfection, but also could be not. Hard to be absolute since a longitudinal study (observing the same study individuals over a lengthy duration of time) is difficult for various reasons and costly. So, no definitive conclusion.
Serologic testing within 3 months is more accurate.

This is why that New York study on blood (plasma) donation from severe case patients is of interest.

Last edited:
Just FYI for everyone.

A serological test, like an ELISA, to detect antibody titers is time and illness severity dependent. We don’t know this virus-specific T-cell response in COVID-19 patients. So, it’s impossible to say with 100% certainty whether having had the illness makes one immune. We haven’t gone through another SARS-COV-2 season yet to see whether reinfection is possible. Though based on general knowledge of viruses and past studies of MERS, we have some idea.

What some of the MERS studies show is that active antibody titer is still detected at 2 to 5 years for patients who had severe pneumonia (likely ventilated and recovered)

Agree. Even if we develop the antibodies we don't let know how long those are going to stay with us. MERS does give us some indication but we don't know for this specific virus just yet. The last thing we need is people who got this once and have the antibody then starting to think they are invincible.

Many, many healthy people your age have been killed by this virus. Many more are on ventilators in ICUs right now. It’s a myth that it’s only dangerous if you’re elderly or have health problems.

We have to be careful how we phrase this. Its true that on rare occasions it will strike the young and healthy. But we are talking fractions of a percentage of the population. Its still mostly a danger to the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions. There are so few deaths of healthy young that they immediately make sensational headlines so you see those a lot more. But yes it CAN kill anyone.

Last edited:
We have to be careful how we phrase this. Its true that on rare occasions it will strike the young and health. But we are talking fractions of a percentage of the population. Its still mostly a danger to the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions. There are so few deaths of healthy young that they immediately make sensational headlines so you see those a lot more. But yes it CAN kill anyone.

While you are right the more we downplay the effects on young people the more we get young people not thinking things like SIP apply to them because they are going to be fine. We need everybody to take this seriously to have any chance of controlling this thing.

Well this is a bit interesting. Seems my county will be conducting random testing starting next week on up to 1,500 residents (for reference the county has about 600K residents) with subsequent random sampling done at a later date. A total of 5,000 residents will be randomly tested. The tests were the result of paying for them and thus aren't being used from the low amount we already have (though 50K tests are headed to our metro as a whole).

The purpose is not to do anything to stop the spread but rather track it since when there is a community spread they don't really do tracking anymore. This is said it would be used for "broader understanding as to what we might do in the future to continue to mitigate the spread of the virus, or whether the results are showing that the curve is going down.... this will make future decisions on closures and stay-at-home orders more data-driven"

I have a few doctor friends working in hospitals and have heard anecdotally from a couple of them that almost EVERY critical case is someone who either has an underlying health condition OR is overweight or a smoker/former smoker.

The smoking and overweight parts aren't being shared widely via the media, and they never make the list of conditions that put people at higher risk, but a friend who is an ER doc in NYC along with one who is the director of admissions at UCSF medical center have said this is the reality. Obesity seems to be the biggest risk factor among the "under 50" deaths. BMI over 30.
I saw a doctor from a major NYC hospital (can't remember which one) talk about obesity as a risk factor on PBS news on Sunday. First and only time I heard talk about it, but it seems like an important point that should be discussed given the obesity rate in the US

I saw a doctor from a major NYC hospital (can't remember which one) talk about obesity as a risk factor on PBS news on Sunday. First and only time I heard talk about it, but it seems like an important point that should be discussed given the obesity rate in the US

It’s been a common denominator in Louisiana.

A sobering image tonight on the news in NY was a fork lift loading bodies into a refrigerated truck. Awful.

MJ

There's two sides to this and I sort of understand OP's point.

If you think there's a high chance of getting it, then getting it sooner may mean you're going to have earlier access to a hospital before they get overrun....but if you get it later, there's a higher chance of having better meds to fix it.

No. I'm not worried about myself, but I wouldn't want to put any additional strain on medical resources.

While Dr. Fauci has said that it is likely one would gain immunity, he also said they don't know how long the immunity would last...1 month? A year? There is not enough data yet.

Depends on the kind of antibodies produced. The typical flu shot is recommended once a year even though it might include the same strains in subsequent years. Apparently influenza antibodies go down rather quickly. Even for some childhood vaccinations wear off even though it's generally assumed that there should be immunity for life. I've heard sometimes there are recommendations for a booster shot of measles or other vaccines, especially after a check of antibody levels.

There's been talk about possible mutations, but who knows what will happen.

A friend through Fb shared her niece, a perfectly healthy 11 year old girl , ZERO pre-existing conditions, who was perfectly healthy until Friday night, apparently her fever spiked rapidly, she was taken by ambulance. She has since been transferred to Ste-Justine Hosp in Montreal, which is an amazing Hospital. She has Covid, on a respirator, pneumonia as well, and the next 24 hours are critical.

This has rocked me all day, badly, I glimpsed through her Mother’s timeline, as she had the original post, trying to show people how it can happen to anyone, any age, and she was posting for 2 weeks about staying in, and doing things with her kids, She is a teacher. She is saying her husband can not go, he may not get to say goodbye to his little girl. Only 1 parent allowed.

As a mother who has lost a child, this is killing me inside, NO I would not want to get it, I have auto-immune disorders, I don’t want to make my son an orphan, possibly risk him getting it. I will continue to do me, staying in basically all the time except walking Alone or with my husband each day. she posted the room, the experience so far, she seems to really want to make people aware, aNd says it is worse than what we see on TV.

We don’t know who could be this child, we just don’t know.

I have a feeling there's also a difference about how much of the virus you're exposed to. We're seeing otherwise healthy doctors and nurses who are younger who have serious complications, but they're much more around patients with it.

In other words, I don't think it's like an on-off situation... there's varying levels of severity depending on how much you've been exposed to it.

I have a feeling there's also a difference about how much of the virus you're exposed to. We're seeing otherwise healthy doctors and nurses who are younger who have serious complications, but they're much more around patients with it.

In other words, I don't think it's like an on-off situation... there's varying levels of severity depending on how much you've been exposed to it.

I was just discussing this tonight with my husband, my best friend has a daughter 25, who is a nurse working through this, she was starting to feel sick last week, with classic signs and symptomS. She was tested Sunday, awaiting results, off work now of course. She goes to the gym daily, runs, etc, very healthy, my friend tells me she is very sick though, High fever, bad cough, can’t even get out of bed. She is Presumed positive, and should get results soon. I hope she will be ok.

What you’re referring to is the minimum infectious dose (MID). This is the amount of pathogen needed to initiate an infection. There’s no peer-reviewed scientific study proving an association between infectious dose and severity of illness for the coronavirus. As far as we know, it is an on-off situation as long as you have the MID.
However, there are studies showing a linkage between viral load (how much it has replicated in your body) and severity of illness.

I've read something like this also but can't find it again. Your body can actually fight off a certain amount of viral load. So if you pick up a few "bits" of the virus, you might be able to fight it off. Any more, then you get infected. And coming into contact with a LOT of the virus can cause a severe infection.

Yes, this is part of what makes this virus SO different. At last count 61 doctors died in Italy. I'm not sure how many healthcare workers. I'm guessing double or triple that since there are more of them. The flu doesn't do that. Maybe a doc here or there, but not in these massive quantities. Part of it is my age I'm sure, but most docs in our rural area and hospitals are 50 or over and yeah, they have underlying conditions. When it comes here, it will be catastrophic. I could see it wiping out the entire specialties of docs here. I'm watching New York very closely. Though if they do succumb in the numbers like Italy, there is nothing we can do. I will just watch our friends and colleagues die one by one.

While you are right the more we downplay the effects on young people the more we get young people not thinking things like SIP apply to them because they are going to be fine. We need everybody to take this seriously to have any chance of controlling this thing.

I agree we need to somehow get younger adults to pitch in with social isolation. But sensationalizing facts to scare people should never be the answer. Facts are facts.

No, I don't want to get it. I'm kind of terrified of it actually. I know chances are that I do get it and I can't imagine how terrified I will feel if I get a positive test. I'm glad you all are so casual about it. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter