Does anyone else kind of just want to get this virus and get it over with?

I just said the same thing to my husband tonight. Not because I don't care about other people (and there are more than enough people who want to jump on their soapboxes and make such accusations because it makes them feel good) but because the world is kind of falling apart as a result of everything being shut down. There will so many people seriously hurt by this- businesses failing, jobs lost, savings gone. And it's not just about not being able to buy a new boat or a luxury summer vacation. People will lose their ability to feed and shelter their families. And our children will somehow have to find a way to pay off their country's debt- because trillion dollar stimulus packages aren't free. In addition to the financial consequences, there is a severe emotional and mental toll this is taking on so many people.

In developed countries, it will cost us a lot, but I worry that in some countries, the people may lose far more than we do. I was reading an article today on the effect this is having on Afghanistan. Workers and businesses have completely fallen into despair because everything is closed. The Taliban is gaining power as all of the closures are prolonged. They don't have a Congress to pass a 2 trillion dollar stimulus package and send everyone a check.

It is not selfish at all to think about this. I imagine you are actually thinking that it might be better for the world to just get it over with.

Of course, if someone were to offer me the virus right now, I would decline. I think you would, too. It is dangerous and scary. Nonetheless, wondering whether it would be better for the world in general is just an exercise in thought. Anyone who is certain he or she has the right answer now is just wrong. There is too much we don't know. No one knows what is going to happen with this; no one knows the right calls to make.

What if this lasts another year? How many people will suffer or die as a result of prolonged closures? Those are things we really need to think about.

There are also viruses that can reactivate like chicken pox becoming shingles. Since it’s a new-to-humans virus we can’t know how it will affect survivors long term.

Chickenpox is a herpesvirus. All of those behave similarly and can reactivate with latent phases in between. It is also a DNA virus which behaves very differently.

Coronaviruses do not do this. They are RNA viruses. Scientists know a LOT about coronaviruses, and they know that they all behave in a similar way.

So you are saying everyone on a ventilator dies? Doesn't seem right since they are so eager to get so many more of them to save lives.
Overall, we’ve been seeing roughly 15% mortality among the hospitalized patients. Higher in areas with an overwhelmed hospital such as those in Italy (hopefully, not in NY).
Even if a patient doesn’t die, they will be left with lung scarring.

I don't believe this. Who are these "many, many?" Every official statistic I've seen puts the mortality at my age at around 0.4%. However, that is for ages 40-49. It doesn't account for gender (women fare better than men) and ALSO doesn't address weight or smoking status. The only preexisting conditions they are tracking are cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, cancer, and chronic respiratory disease.

So, the 0.4% is the death rate among ALL patients 40-49 INCLUDING those who are overweight or smokers.

The death rate for someone like me is probably more like 0.2% or less.
0.4% is still a lot. That’s saying choose one skittle out of a bag of 250. Hope you’re not the unlucky one. That’s not even accounting for morbidity rate.

Most doctors agree that once you have it you build up antibodies against it. So the chances of getting it again are very slim.
Yes, most likely not. 99% (not a scientific estimate) chance based on other known viruses that you can’t get reinfected. 1% for the unknown since we don’t know about this particular strain.

Overall, we’ve been seeing roughly 15% mortality among the hospitalized patients. Higher in areas with an overwhelmed hospital such as those in Italy (hopefully, not in NY).
Even if a patient doesn’t die, they will be left with lung scarring.

0.4% is still a lot. That’s saying choose one skittle out of a bag of 250. Hope you’re not the unlucky one. That’s not even accounting for morbidity rate.

Yes, most likely not. 99% (not a scientific estimate) chance based on other known viruses that you can’t get reinfected. 1% for the unknown since we don’t know about this particular strain.

I mean, honestly...you give me 250 skittles and tell me one will kill me but 249 won't and I can relieve myself of the daily anxiety? I'm gonna eat a skittle.

ETA: Anxiety disorders are no joke and I've already had several panic attacks in the last 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Nope. It is nice to think I would be one with little symptoms, but I am not taking any risks. Trying my hardest to keep my house 'rona free, which isn't easy with an essential worker who travels all over the country.

Two big IFs would be needed for me to say yes. One is if am 100% sure to get it eventually anyway, and the second is if no cure or helpful medical advancement will ever be developed.

And of course, neither of those are known!

I mean, honestly...you give me 250 skittles and tell me one will kill me but 249 won't and I can relieve myself of the daily anxiety? I'm gonna eat a skittle.

Risk seeker I see.
That rate is multiples more than dying by a car accident or cancer in the US.
Whatever makes you feel comfortable, though.

Risk seeker I see.
That rate is multiples more than dying by a car accident or cancer in the US.
Whatever makes you feel comfortable, though.

Not a risk seeker, but I do tend to gamble moderately. I have my investments in a more aggressive portfolio and I like to play table games in Vegas.

But I also always wear a helmet when I ride my bike, always buckle up in a car, and don't engage in high risk activities like skydiving.

As with everything in life, there is a risk/reward calculation.

I don't want to get it at all. It's too new to have a full understanding.

What I do want is to be tested to find out if I had it in the past or have it now both of which I likely would have/be asymptomatic and that would be equal parts a relief and worry. Relief that I didn't have the same terrible awful reactions but worry that I gave it to someone who could have had terrible awful reactions.

A negative result would still mean I could get it so I would still be concerned.

I do understand what you're saying OP the constant thoughts and worry it can be a lot.

I've had that thought, but the descriptions of what the virus is like if it's bad have quickly negated it.

Last edited:
I think it's "too late" to catch it without the risk of not having a hospital bed should, God forbid, you need it. Had I caught it coming back from California, I would sort of considered that a blessing to get it and be done. And who knows....maybe I did. I had a sore throat which was annoying and extreme fatigue, but that was it. No fever or anything. I doubt it was that, but you can't know for sure until they have an antibody test. But, right now, there's a WHOLE bunch of people in varying stages of illness, and the "overload" point is predicted to happen here in less than two weeks....therefore, anyone "getting it" right now could be potentially screwed.

So far, what I have read is that only people who actually develop the pneumonia and require ventilation or develop ARDS are at risk of having long term lung damage.

Many people get this virus and it never even moves into their lungs.
Very true but you don't know if you would be that person that needs a ventilator. I'm not a gambler.

I have replied before that I think there is a chance I have had it in early February after a trip to California. My husband was also in Italy this month and is now home. We are very interested in an antibody test.

To some extent, yes I think having it would allow one to get back to normal life. I really am not "afraid" of catching it.

I'm not sure I'm in the "get it over with" camp, especially right now with hospitals already beyond capacity in my area. But I suspect we may have had it go through our household already and I would LOVE if we could get access to an antibody/antigen test, like the ones being rolled out in Europe and in very limited areas here, to know for sure. Especially right now, since DH has been exposed to a confirmed case (his boss) and as a 50yo smoker with high blood pressure, he is by far the highest risk person in our household.

I'm not generally an anxious person but I tend to cope with stressors through research, logic and data, and right now, that's painting such a dire picture that learning more makes me more anxious rather than less. And that's messing up my sleep habits and generating a sort of low-level brain fog that I've only experienced once before at what was by far the most difficult time of my life.

So you are saying everyone on a ventilator dies? Doesn't seem right since they are so eager to get so many more of them to save lives.

Numbers I've seen are if you go to ICU and need a vent about 70-80% chance you don't make it which overall isn't abnormal for ICU. Most people who go to ICU are 50/50 to make it out on average. ICU is normally the last chance stop. However, even that 20-30% who do make it out are ones who would have died without the vent. So at that stage it is the opposite side of russian roulette, do nothing and you 100% die or go on a vent and at least have a chance. Vents are not a panacea that cures everybody or even most people but they give those people a chance that wouldn't have otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter