Dog obituary?

I have pets, but I would never put them above a human life. To say that you would save your dog over another human being, I can't even imagine. I really can't.

I think this is one of the major things that is wrong with our world today. Some people don't value human life.

Yes, I love my cat, she is precious to me. But to save her before a human being? No, I couldn't do that. That other human being is someone's husband/wife, daughter/son, etc. I'm glad I value human life more than a pet's life. And I hope and pray most other people do the same.
I think it’s just an honest answer. Most ppl kid themselves that they would not be concerned about their own self interests over others, but for the most part that is not true. Since we are considering the ridiculous unlikely scenario that I might be faced with saving my dog over a random stranger what about if you had to choose between a random stranger young person over your own elderly relative? Most ppl would choose their own relative. Understandably. I think what is wrong with the world (among other things) is ppl’s judgemental attitudes that the values they hold are the only values & no one else has a right to his/her set of values.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Someday they might be mixed! Imagine the horror!

I'm actually surprised someone hasn't raised the analogy of PETA going to court to try and give animals constitutional rights. So I will, with a simple point: the courts have consistently turned down every single attempt they have made at that. So those equating an animal has having the same published legacy importance as a human being may have a philosophical/moral argument, but not a legal one.

I guess IMO it’s not about an animal being as important as a human, but it’s more...who cares?! The owners of the pets are also HUMAN so if they find comfort in that, it doesn’t negate or undignify anyone else’s obit. I personally wouldn’t do it, but that’s me. I don’t care what other ppl do. Worry about yourself & let other ppl do whatever works for them.

Unpopular opinion of the day: After volunteering at a shelter, and working closely with pets/humans for many years... Dogs and cats probably deserve the obituary more often than the humans do.

But I understand why some people would get mad. Just have one page for humans, one for animals. But who am I kidding, printed newspapers aren't going to exist in the near future, anyway.

Before I say this I want to reiterate, I'm fully in the camp of I don't care. Either way -- pets in the obits, out, their own section -- doesn't matter to me in the least. But, for those who think it takes away from the dignity of it all, I have a two-part question:

Can other people's obituaries also tarnish your loved one's obit by their proximity to it? If the person pictured next to dear meemaw was a scummy person for [fill in whatever reason that comes to mind], would that upset you? And second part, have you ever in the history of ever researched the people in the obits to determine if they were of enough upstanding character and moral fiber to bring the proper level of dignity and respect to your loved one's obit?

Personally, if the "goodness" of the deceased published on the same page mattered, I'd place my bets on the animal.

The same published legacy :rotfl2:

I think it more that many of us don’t see obits as a big deal. It is hardly the equivalent to any other human right.
I think that’s it too. My father just recently passed away suddenly & he was relatively young. My sister & I were too overwhelmed with grief to deal with an obit so it didn’t get done. My dad absolutely wouldn’t have cared about it either. Anyone who mattered to him & us knew he passed away & there were other means to communicate the news ourselves via social media etc. We look at obits as antiquated revenue streams for newspapers. So does that means there is less dignity for him b/c we didn’t do one?? We definitely don’t believe that. So to me, you want it-do it, you don’t-don’t, you want to do one for a pet-knock yourself out. I plan to concern myself with my own affairs.

I have pets, but I would never put them above a human life. To say that you would save your dog over another human being, I can't even imagine. I really can't.

I think this is one of the major things that is wrong with our world today. Some people don't value human life.

Yes, I love my cat, she is precious to me. But to save her before a human being? No, I couldn't do that. That other human being is someone's husband/wife, daughter/son, etc. I'm glad I value human life more than a pet's life. And I hope and pray most other people do the same.
Also, for the record, I didn’t say I’d save my cat over a stranger....said my dogs. My cat makes himself hard to choose most days! ;)

Also, for the record, I didn’t say I’d save my cat over a stranger....said my dogs. My cat makes himself hard to choose most days! ;)

LOL . My cat is a kind of a spoiled jerk so she's out of luck for an obituary. There might be a party though.

I'm actually surprised someone hasn't raised the analogy of PETA going to court to try and give animals constitutional rights. So I will, with a simple point: the courts have consistently turned down every single attempt they have made at that. So those equating an animal has having the same published legacy importance as a human being may have a philosophical/moral argument, but not a legal one.

I'm waiting for someone to start with the "pretty soon people are going to be allowed to marry animals" fear mongering.

The same published legacy :rotfl2:

I think it more that many of us don’t see obits as a big deal
. It is hardly the equivalent to any other human right.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Birth records and obituaries have been a "published legacy" for many years. Some pets such as pedigreed dogs and horses have had systems in place for record keeping as well, but it has always been separate. Some of us place a certain value that history. I've seen people on the DIS value and not want to change many things - obituaries hardly seem inconsequential or comical to me. I have a cousin who is into genealogy and regularly spends hours researching obituaries. Muddying it up with pets seems counterproductive at the very least. Newspaper record keeping/ publishing is a huge historical source and has been for many years. I think people forget that now that newspapers are losing their popularity and relevance.

Last edited:

Also, for the record, I didn't say your cat. I was talking about my cat, in that even though she is precious to me I would choose to save another human being over her.

I would hope most (I would say "all" but you've already said you wouldn't) people would choose to save a human being rather than an animal, if they were ever in that situation.

And as for saving a random young person over my elderly relative, of course I'm going to save my own relative. I would imagine most people would do that.

Also, for the record, I didn't say your cat. I was talking about my cat, in that even though she is precious to me I would choose to save another human being over her.

I would hope most (I would say "all" but you've already said you wouldn't) people would choose to save a human being rather than an animal, if they were ever in that situation.

And as for saving a random young person over my elderly relative, of course I'm going to save my own relative. I would imagine most people would do that.
I was just making a joke about the cat. I thought that was obvious.

My point about your relative vs a stranger is that we would all likely save what is important to us. It’s not about the value of who is being saved. You wouldn’t save your relative b/c he or she is more valuable than a stranger but b/c the person is more important to YOU. Like I said, ppl will most likely choose what’s important to them especially when faced with making a quick decision. And, I don’t think it’s a stretch to believe that many ppl feel their pets are more important to THEM than a stranger. But, it’s also a ridiculous philosophical argument to have b/c what is the likelihood that anyone would be in the scenario to make this choice. My dogs stay in my house all day. Only way that would be an issue for me is if the stranger is in my house...so very unlikely. However, you’re actually more likely to be a situation to have to choose between your relative & another person.

not sure about pets, but this obituary for the pilsbury doughboy made my eyes tear up...
It is with the saddest heart that I must pass on the following news:

Please join me in remembering a great icon of the entertainment community.

The Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast infection and complications from repeated pokes in the belly.

He was 71.

Doughboy was buried in a lightly greased coffin.

Dozens of celebrities turned out to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth, Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker, the Hostess Twinkies and Captain Crunch.

The grave site was piled high with flours.

Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly described Doughboy as a man who never knew how much he was kneaded.

Doughboy rose quickly in show business, but his later life was filled with turnovers. He was not considered a very smart cookie, wasting much of his dough on half-baked schemes.

Despite being a little flaky at times, he still, as a crusty old man, was considered a roll model for millions.

Doughboy is survived by his wife, Play Dough; two children John Dough and Jane Dough; plus they had one in the oven.

He is also survived by his elderly father Pop Tart.

The funeral was held at 3:50 for about 20 minutes.

Before I say this I want to reiterate, I'm fully in the camp of I don't care. Either way -- pets in the obits, out, their own section -- doesn't matter to me in the least. But, for those who think it takes away from the dignity of it all, I have a two-part question:

Can other people's obituaries also tarnish your loved one's obit by their proximity to it? If the person pictured next to dear meemaw was a scummy person for [fill in whatever reason that comes to mind], would that upset you? And second part, have you ever in the history of ever researched the people in the obits to determine if they were of enough upstanding character and moral fiber to bring the proper level of dignity and respect to your loved one's obit?

Personally, if the "goodness" of the deceased published on the same page mattered, I'd place my bets on the animal.
I had had this thought, if you’d upset about a dog surely you would be really upset about a child molester....

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Birth records and obituaries have been a "published legacy" for many years. Some pets such as pedigreed dogs and horses have had systems in place for record keeping as well, but it has always been separate. Some of us place a certain value that history. I've seen people on the DIS value and not want to change many things - obituaries hardly seem inconsequential or comical to me. I have a cousin who is into genealogy and regularly spends hours researching obituaries. Muddying it up with pets seems counterproductive at the very least. Newspaper record keeping/ publishing is a huge historical source and has been for many years. I think people forget that now that newspapers are losing their popularity and relevance.

The days of the newspaper being the major historical source are likely gone.
How would it muddy the water? Are you worried your cousin may mistake little fifi for a second uncle once removed?

So if we agree that newspapers are losing their popularity & relevance, then it’s probaly not something that will be around long anyway.

I am one of those types of people who loves walking through old cemeteries and hearing or reading about interesting lives. I don't much care about whether it's a human or an animal - I love them both - but I'm often very moved when someone cares so much about another being that they write a beautiful story about them. I guess if I had to choose I'd say make a pet section on the obituary page.

I also abhor the "human vs animal" debate. Were there a fire, I'd do my damndest to get everyone out, human and animal. We did have an actual fire once and it was kind of comical - I handed my dog off to a stranger banging on my front door; DD ran down down the stairs with her hamster cage; and DS helped my mother outside, who didn't quite get what was happening and was concerned her hairdo was going to get wet in the rain :laughing: , all while I was on the phone calling 911. Thankfully we all made it out ok. Teamwork.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter