Europe cruises/travel summer 2020 -Anyone else thinking of cancelling??

I think DCL is in a much different situation from the larger cruise lines. Other cruises have to continue summer Europe sailings because they don't have to places to put their ships. With only 4 ships DCL has different options. I am not saying DCL won't take the Magic to Europe but there is a higher chance then other cruise lines.

I don't think anyone can let their country, travel provider, etc make the decisions. Everyone has to make the decisions that are right for them about what they are comfortable with.

totally agree about making the decisions that are right for you!

All - please consider contacting Disney and asking them to move back cancelation dates for the summer cruises in Europe. We have a deadline in mid-April, where we pass the 50% cancelation fee mark. Unless there are clear signs that things are getting better, we are much more inclined to cancel at that point then risk heading to Italy in June. On the other hand, if Disney pushed back cancelation deadlines to late May, we would let it ride and see if it improves. They will probably save hundreds of cancellations by doing this and then communicating their intent come late May. Please send communications to them requesting this so they know customers are requesting this to avoid canceling 60 days out.

If they did this, and in late May (for our June cruise) said, "things have really improved and we plan to sail," we would likely keep the reservation. If they say, "we are repositioning the summer cruises on the Magic to the Caribbean and giving you a partial refund," we would sail and be grateful the vacation isn't completely lost. Otherwise, all of us are going to have to deciding in April what we expect to happen in June and how much we want to rely on Disney to cancel if needed.

All - please consider contacting Disney and asking them to move back cancelation dates for the summer cruises in Europe. We have a deadline in mid-April, where we pass the 50% cancelation fee mark. Unless there are clear signs that things are getting better, we are much more inclined to cancel at that point then risk heading to Italy in June. On the other hand, if Disney pushed back cancelation deadlines to late May, we would let it ride and see if it improves. They will probably save hundreds of cancellations by doing this and then communicating their intent come late May. Please send communications to them requesting this so they know customers are requesting this to avoid canceling 60 days out.

If they did this, and in late May (for our June cruise) said, "things have really improved and we plan to sail," we would likely keep the reservation. If they say, "we are repositioning the summer cruises on the Magic to the Caribbean and giving you a partial refund," we would sail and be grateful the vacation isn't completely lost. Otherwise, all of us are going to have to deciding in April what we expect to happen in June and how much we want to rely on Disney to cancel if needed.

I would like them to announce flexible/no penalty rebooking for all cruises, not just European ones.

I would like them to announce flexible/no penalty rebooking for all cruises, not just European ones.

Just a small sign, but a tour company (day tours) I have used in different countries around the world just sent an email today saying that they are changing their cancellation policy to 7 days without penalty for the time being. They are an expensive private tour company and clearly they realized that people won't be booking with them if they can't cancel. I hope the industry follows in some way.

VERY interesting to see. I predict large scale cancellations.

Yep - Disney is shooting themselves in the foot by not extending cancelation deadlines. It would at least open the possibility of people waiting to see instead of guessing so far in advance in deciding they are better off canceling.

Yep - Disney is shooting themselves in the foot by not extending cancelation deadlines. It would at least open the possibility of people waiting to see instead of guessing so far in advance in deciding they are better off canceling.

They really are. If my PIF date was tomorrow I'm pretty sure DH and I would agree to cancel the cruise. And once canceled, there's no chance I would rebook as there are so many flight and hotel and tours I would need to rebook at the last minute. DCL should extend the dates for their own good, let alone ours.

My problem we are on the first Med cruise on may 23, my Father had a stroke on February 22 and we had to cancel our Fantasy cruise that was leaving that day. Between tthe virus and him we are not sure what to do. I suspect we are going to cancel becuase I am not sure that I can be that far away from him. And I am in one of the high risk groups anyway. I wish that Disney would just let us transfer the money to a different cruise. When I called yesterday they were not all that helpful.

Regarding the MSC article I posted earlier, I would like to point out I do not have a MSC cruise booked at this point. I live in France and follow the magazine (intended for travel agencies) that posted the interview, and thought maybe it might be interesting to paste the link here to give background info about how the other lines are dealing with the situation.

I've tried to translate the interesting tidbits of the article, feel free to ask if there is some specific parts you are interested with!

Can anyone confirm this (and is it for Americans as well)? Ive looked around and cant confirm this myself. Also, anyone know what happens to those that are past the traditional 90 day PIF...are we actually now in some sort of grace period?

ETA: I mean confirm outside of this article. Will be calling MSC when I can summon the will.

By any chance, have you got any news from them?

i think the only way you can be sure is if you call MSC.
I don't see how they can provide that for some passengers but not others.
If they did change to 21 days for the next few months, that's fantastic!!
i'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Couldn't have it said better!

There is no treatment other than supportive care. Isolation, oxygen, IV fluids. If there was a case onboard I bet the whole ship would be quarantined. We are on the same sailing. I’m more worried about a cancel/re-route at this point.

On the same cruise as well. Not sure a cancellation is a possibility but port changes are definitely expected. I'm glad the only excursion we book, we did through DCL!

My problem we are on the first Med cruise on may 23, my Father had a stroke on February 22 and we had to cancel our Fantasy cruise that was leaving that day. Between tthe virus and him we are not sure what to do. I suspect we are going to cancel becuase I am not sure that I can be that far away from him. And I am in one of the high risk groups anyway. I wish that Disney would just let us transfer the money to a different cruise. When I called yesterday they were not all that helpful.
We are on the same cruise as you and coming from the Uk with my parents and sisters family. I am not thinking about cancelling yet but will see how it goes nearer the time.

I am just in shock that Disney is not really offering anything.

Do you have a Concierge room? If not, would you not lose only your deposit if you cancel your cruise now? Maybe that would the best given your situation?

We're on a Magic cruise this summer... my two cents (and not even sure its worth that)... Take the time to research the risks independently (not "if it bleeds, it leads" 24 hour news). I did. Compared the corona to the seasonal flu in the US. Number of deaths isn't even close (US flu to worldwide corona) like 6 to 10 times more flu deaths in the US. Do the personal risk assessment on your on. I have every intention on sailing baring further facts (we're passed our PIF date).

They really are. If my PIF date was tomorrow I'm pretty sure DH and I would agree to cancel the cruise. And once canceled, there's no chance I would rebook as there are so many flight and hotel and tours I would need to rebook at the last minute. DCL should extend the dates for their own good, let alone ours.
If your flights and hotels are booked wit miles can’t you cancel those last minute?

We're on a Magic cruise this summer... my two cents (and not even sure its worth that)... Take the time to research the risks independently (not "if it bleeds, it leads" 24 hour news). I did. Compared the corona to the seasonal flu in the US. Number of deaths isn't even close (US flu to worldwide corona) like 6 to 10 times more flu deaths in the US. Do the personal risk assessment on your on. I have every intention on sailing baring further facts (we're passed our PIF date).

I agree with this but if the media continues to blow it out of proportion, the govt is going to contribute travel bans/quarantines/etc. I’m not worried as much about the virus as I am out world leaders over reacting.

If your flights and hotels are booked wit miles can’t you cancel those last minute?

If we decide to cancel, I'm not going to change my mind later on. I guess technically I could, but i don't see it happening. So for me, nope. If we cancel the cruise we will likely cancel it all. Of course, YMMV.

I agree with you that people have to do their own research. I've done that, and have a different opinion. Of course there have been more flu deaths in the US at this point. This is a new virus, and the flu isn't. What will those numbers look like in a year? You really don't know. I'm not trying to convince you and I think it's great that you have your decision made, but when comparing these things we really won't know the real numbers until it's over.

i think the only way you can be sure is if you call MSC.
I don't see how they can provide that for some passengers but not others.
If they did change to 21 days for the next few months, that's fantastic!!
i'll keep my fingers crossed for you

So MSC told my travel agent this morning that they have rescinded that offer (and someone, I think on CC posted they were told that directly by MSC). At first I said I would wait a week or 2 to cancel in case they changed this again, but the more I stewed on it and read all these posts about peoples negative experiences, I decided to cancel as soon as I got home, and I am on hold doing that now.

My husband has said IF we can go he would rather rent a car and drive around Europe (not me though!) so IF we can still go in June and can't re-book we have that as a backup plan.

BUT! My travel agent just came on and said MSC wants to know why I am cancelling. I said because I didn't know if I would be able to fly into Europe (i.e., Coronovirus) and she said that they told her they would have to transfer her to a different department then. So still on hold but my question is why? I'm before PIF date, I don't need a reason?

NOW she came back and said okay they say you can cancel without penalty (no s@#$!) but it will take 1 to 2 billing cycles (i.e., months) for them to reimburse us and for you to see that on your account. I think that is odd as I cancelled all my excursions last week and the money showed up on my CC right away.

Of course, if I want to rebook before I get the credit that will be an issue as I am using points, but the whole thing, to me, validates cancelling sooner rather than later.

VERY interesting to see. I predict large scale cancellations.
I’m on this one and PIF already. Two GTY rooms. Planning to watch after tomorrow to see what happens to room choices and prices. I have a verandah but my parents don’t so we might be upgrading them and are all hoping for the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter