Experts say face masks can help slow COVID-19, despite previous claims

You said cloth facial covering/ mask. Thus the confusion on my part.
Yes the recommendation specifically said cloth facial covering. Which could be any of a number of things. Bandanas, scarfs or one of the many homemade masks.

That’s how you know they fit properly... When you can’t smell anything. That’s how healthcare workers are ”fit tested” for them.

I still have one left, and I've got it in front of me. It smells mildly "plasticky" but I do remember that once I has any of these masks on, that wood smoke smell was gone. I also wear glasses and they were fogging up. I don't have one of the vented ones that are supposed make exhaling a lot easier. I think those would reduce the amount of heat and moisture building up.

But you cannot trust what he has to say.
He said in February that Coronavirus was a hoax.
I will rely on medical experts/scientists etc.

I hadn't heard this but I don't get caught up in a lot of this rhetoric. I did decide to check Snopes.com and it does not confirm what you are saying.
"What's True During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu. What's False Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax."

I'll wear a mask in public when healthcare workers have all THEY need.

Stay home, wash your hands and stay away from people is still the best protection.
I agree we should stay home and leave the medical grade masks for healthcare professionals. But when you need to go out for essentials (which should be infrequently) I think you should cover your face. I made a homemade mask, and if you can't sew use a scarf or bandana. Get creative. 😷

Don't forget to check sporting good stores for masks. Cycling masks can work if there is no need for medical grade/N95 specifications. DH has an N99 mask for woodworking that he's using now.

I agree we should stay home and leave the medical grade masks for healthcare professionals. But when you need to go out for essentials (which should be infrequently) I think you should cover your face. I made a homemade mask, and if you can't sew use a scarf or bandana. Get creative. 😷
Exactly. Me taking a bandana or a scarf out of my drawer and wearing it over my nose and mouth is taking nothing away from medical professionals.

If medical professionals start asking the public to donate bandanas, scarves, or anything else, I will gladly donate whatever I have that they request.

No thank you. I'll take my chances using common sense measures on my infrequent trips.

I was going to make some face masks for my family and some friends. But Wal-mart is out of elastic and the fabric stores that would carry more are all closed. So glad they were classified as "non-essential".

If you have extra fabric or ribbons you can make face masks with ties instead of the around the ear elastic. I purchased two around the ear elastic masks on Etsy but had to convert them to tie back ones because my ears cannot hold the elastic properly and they do not stay in place at all. The tie backs allow the mask to be much more customized to ones head shape.

We definitely have a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking going on. My son is a doctor. He was definitely not taking this seriously in late January. As a matter of fact, just like the rest of us, he has done 180 degree change in his thoughts since that time.
We were given false and/or incomplete data. No one had any idea what we were dealing with until Italy. Very important information was not divulged..

Yep! That guy.
At that time there was no known community spread. All cases were linked to Wuhan. He went where the data went. Then the data changed.
And, from what I understand, there was no indication that a person was contagious before they presented with symptoms. Since masks are designed to protect others, it make sense that they weren’t recommended. Now with information that you are contagious up to 48 hours before you present with symptom, masks/face coverings make sense for everyone.

This is a NEW virus. Information is going to change. Some newer recommendations say the virus can travel 3m / 27 feet 10 feet not just the 6ft we’ve been told. As information becomes known, recommendations will change.

Last edited:
And, from what I understand, there was no indication that a person was contagious before they presented with symptoms. Since masks are designed to protect others, it make sense that they weren’t recommended. Now with information that you are contagious up to 48 hours before you present with symptom, masks/face coverings make sense for everyone.

This is a NEW virus. Information is going to change. Some newer recommendations say the virus can travel 3m / 27 feet, not just the 6ft we’ve been told. As information becomes known, recommendations will change.
This was kind of a biggie...

World Health Organization (WHO)

✔@WHO

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152

Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China
🇨🇳

Some newer recommendations say the virus can travel 3m / 27 feet, not just the 6ft we’ve been told.
Is it 3m or 27 feet? Because 3m would only be 10 feet. And I wonder if these "distance" measuring samples were taken like someone would a watermelon seed spitting contest... "here, see how far you can blow." 10 feet seems an extremely far distance, much less 27 feet.

Is it 3m or 27 feet? Because 3m would only be 10 feet. And I wonder if these "distance" measuring samples were taken like someone would a watermelon seed spitting contest... "here, see how far you can blow." 10 feet seems an extremely far distance, much less 27 feet.
Sorry you’re right I did the conversion last night and I swear it said 27 feet.

Dr. Fauci said someone would have to purposely try to sneeze 27 feet. A normal sneeze would not go that far. He said you'd have to arch your back and really heave a sneeze out. Of course we all know there are jerks out there that might do that, but for the majority of people, our sneezes will not go that far, especially if we sneeze into our elbows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter