Experts say face masks can help slow COVID-19, despite previous claims

The N95 (or equivalent) masks are more inherently efficient because they not only mechanically filter but attract particles due to ionic/electrostatic attraction. Anyone remember the old Sharper Image Ionic Breeze? Even before then I remember similar air purifiers sold in the old DAK catalog. I think the same principle is why things like Swiffer dry wipes works. Or oiled gauze automotive air filters.

The following suggests ways to extend N95 life. It mentions maintaining the ionic charge. Obviously people are trying to extend the life of otherwise disposable masks, so this is hardly ideal. I’m not sure how cleaning would affect the electrostatic properties.

https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

More disinformation re efficacy of masks on this board and it has to stop, See South Korea. Masks, preferably n95 masks prevent Coronavirus from infiltrating ACE 2 receptors in mouth and nostrils. Goggles prevent same for eyes. Latex gloves used properly for hands (and again virus cannot enter through skin, it needs an ACE 2 receptor).

This is demonstrable fact, and why hospital workers wear them. One must use rudimentary common sense in order to preserve oneself in this circumstance, as, sadly, the fake news, funded by corporate and foreign interests has zero vested interest in protecting people, but rather only in parroting their masters’ scripts.

Last edited:

Wearing a mask isn't about your chances of getting infected by others, but about other's chances of being infected by you.
I guess that's why medical personnel and hospitals are so desperate for masks right now -- to keep the medical professionals from infecting sick patients. :rolleyes:

Masks provide varying degrees of protection both ways.

Wearing a mask isn't about your chances of getting infected by others, but about other's chances of being infected by you.
If people are staying away from me like they should be, they have nothing to worry about, do they?

More disinformation re efficacy of masks on this board and it has to stop, See South Korea. Masks, preferably n95 masks prevent Coronavirus from infiltrating ACE 2 receptors in mouth and nostrils. Goggles prevent same for eyes. Latex gloves used properly for hands (and again virus cannot enter through skin, it needs an ACE 2 receptor).

This is demonstrable fact, and why hospital workers wear them. One must use rudimentary common sense in order to preserve oneself in this circumstance, as, sadly, the fake news, funded by corporate and foreign interests has zero vested interest in protecting people, but rather only in parroting their masters’ scripts.

Unfortunately, some hospitals are not issuing masks to staff doing invasive procedures such as ”cardiac caths.”

If people are staying away from me like they should be, they have nothing to worry about, do they?
While this is true, not everyone has the luxuary of staying home, away from people. Some, like essential employees, are still required to go out and interact with people. And of course the not more than weekly trip to the store for essential supplies.

I guess that's why medical personnel and hospitals are so desperate for masks right now -- to keep the medical professionals from infecting sick patients. :rolleyes:

Masks provide varying degrees of protection both ways.

My statement has nothing to do what is recommended for medical personnel. It's about the reasoning behind the CDC's suggestion to wear a face covering.
The CDC is recommending face coverings to prevent infected people from spreading the virus. Anyone could be infected and not know it, so we should all be wearing masks.

Well, other people have to touch surfaces that you just coughed/sneezed/talked near. Of course people should continue all the other precautions. Wearing a mask just happens to be a precaution that benefits others more that one's self.

That’s how you know they fit properly... When you can’t smell anything. That’s how healthcare workers are ”fit tested” for them.

That's for the N95 masks. Not the cloth ones that people are making. I don't think there is a test for how effective they are as they really don't filter much. They are just to catch the droplets coming out of one's mouth.

Unfortunately, some hospitals are not issuing masks to staff doing invasive procedures such as ”cardiac caths.”
Hmmm...

The very first, and most important, lesson in my EMT training was about scene safety and PPE. The primary requirement was: "If the scene is not safe, do NOT enter the scene."

If, in fact, medical personnel are performing catheterizations without proper PPE, they are violating one of the most fundamental rules. I find it hard to believe they would do that.

The CDC is recommending face coverings to prevent infected people from spreading the virus. Anyone could be infected and not know it, so we should all be wearing masks.

Wearing a mask just happens to be a precaution that benefits others more that one's self.
Those are your assumptions about what the CDC is thinking.

As several people here have told you, your assumptions are incorrect.

The primary reason for wearing masks -- for medical personnel, and just plain folks -- is to protect yourself.

That's for the N95 masks. Not the cloth ones that people are making. I don't think there is a test for how effective they are as they really don't filter much. They are just to catch the droplets coming out of one's mouth.
Yep and the germ catchers will need to be changed and washed frequently.

Last edited:
Those are your assumptions about what the CDC is thinking.

As several people here have told you, your assumptions are incorrect.

The primary reason for wearing masks -- for medical personnel, and just plain folks -- is to protect yourself.
No it's not. It is based on what I have been told by both the federal and state CDC.

It is based on my mother's oncologist telling us years ago to get a box of surgical masks for her home so visitors could wear them and not pass germs on to her.

It is based on my doctor's office that has always required people who are coughing to wear a surgical mask.

It is based off of a current discussion with 3 of my aunts who are retired nurses and who all agreed that it makes sense for people who are infected to wear a mask to prevent spreading of the virus.

It is based on common sense. Would you rather touch the hand of a guy who just sneezed into a cloth or the guy who just sneezed into his bare hands?

While this is true, not everyone has the luxuary of staying home, away from people. Some, like essential employees, are still required to go out and interact with people. And of course the not more than weekly trip to the store for essential supplies.
Also the fact that the virus can live in the air, I believe they said for 2 hours. So even if you stay 6 ft away you can still be exposed. In my opinion if everyone wore masks it could help. It seems to be helping in Asia.

Right. That’s what the poster I quoted was referring to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter