• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

GAD upgrade question

Alright...here I was all excited to get FP's and now I'm thinking maybe we should save $ by using it to upgrade our tix.
We generally buy our tix. ahead of time from undercovertourist through Mousesavers so we do get a discount. Just wondering how much tix. prices will go up this August as our trip isn't until Nov. Now if prices go up then the GAD vochuer credit towards the tix. would go up along with it, correct?
Perhaps we will use mine and dh's to upgrade and use the 2 kiddos for FP's. That way we save some extra money but can still get FP's at 2 of the parks.

Add me to the list of people with their heads spinning! Maybe one of you kind people can help me work this out.

I have a trip planned beginning 3/11. DS & I have GAD tickets for each of us. I know I will need at least 4 park days, if I could have another 1/2 day for arrival day I would probably use it. I am a DVC member & had an AP but it expired in Jan. so no chance of using the GAD towards a renewal. DS has a 10 non-exp. ticket so he's all set. I have a 5 day non-exp. PH ticket with I think 3 days left, but I'm not 100% sure. It could possibly just have 2 days left. No way to know for sure until we get there.

I have another tentative trip planned for 4-5 nights in Oct. But that is tentative right now so that is what is throwing me.

Here are my questions. I could take my GAD ticket & apply it towards a new DVC AP. I believe that would cost me $310 (not incl. tax). That option would also allow me to purchase a TIW card which is very appealing. However, if I don't end up going in the Fall I will have wasted that $$. If I get a new AP I can then save my existing non-expiring tix for another year. Another possibility would be to upgrade the GAD to a non-expiring 8 day PH ticket. That I believe would cost $362 (no tax). That is more $$, but at least if I don't end up going in Oct. I haven't lost anything. I just want to be sure I choose the best option.

Any advice?

TIA.

Once I use my GAD voucher and upgrade it to a multi day ticket, can the ticket be put on my room key so I don't have to carry both? I'll be in ASMu.

Once I use my GAD voucher and upgrade it to a multi day ticket, can the ticket be put on my room key so I don't have to carry both? I'll be in ASMu.

Yes, as long as you don't already have a ticket entitlement on the KTTW card (like if you bought a package for free dining or anything like that), and you didn't upgrade to an annual/seasonal pass (or possible any other ticket that they don't normally handle at the resorts).

So many great questions and answers! I got an answer to my question, and answers to questions that I didn't even know I had. You all are terrific. Thanks!

Hi,
New here. This will be our first Disney trip! My hubby, myself and our oldest child are eligible for the GAD. We were planning on purchasing the 5 day park hopper pass w/ free day (6 total) from undercover tourist for $279.95 (adult). It looks like it may be more cost effective for us to use our GAD tickets to enter the park on day 1 and then use those to upgrade for a 6 day PH passes w/ the GAD ticket. From the WDW website, it appears this price would be $301.40 inc tax -$79=$222.40. Am I correct? Thanks for any help!

Hi,
New here. This will be our first Disney trip! My hubby, myself and our oldest child are eligible for the GAD. We were planning on purchasing the 5 day park hopper pass w/ free day (6 total) from undercover tourist for $279.95 (adult). It looks like it may be more cost effective for us to use our GAD tickets to enter the park on day 1 and then use those to upgrade for a 6 day PH passes w/ the GAD ticket. From the WDW website, it appears this price would be $301.40 inc tax -$79=$222.40. Am I correct? Thanks for any help!

Close, but you don't pay tax on amounts that you don't actually pay. So your final total should be $217.26.

The GAD program is definitely the biggest way to save on tickets because they are giving your the free FIRST day of a ticket, which is the most expensive. Other "free day" discounts are giving you days on the tail end, which are cheaper (as little as $3).

Close, but you don't pay tax on amounts that you don't actually pay. So your final total should be $217.26.

The GAD program is definitely the biggest way to save on tickets because they are giving your the free FIRST day of a ticket, which is the most expensive. Other "free day" discounts are giving you days on the tail end, which are cheaper (as little as $3).

Thanks so much for the fast reply!!

OP here. Just thought I'd share my experience with upgrading last week. We chose to upgrade 3 of our 4 tickets and keep one for FPs. We went to the will call window at AK around 3 in the afternoon on our arrival day. The CM was able to not only issue our 1 day tix, but she then upgraded them on the spot to 7-day base tickets just like we wanted. No needing to use the ticket and then deal with it later. The entire process took about 15 minutes and was well worth it.

Pam

Thanks for reporting back!! Our friends just returned from WDW, and they reported the same kind of experience. Last week, they went to the MK will call first thing in the morning, presented their GAD vouchers, and the CM immediately asked them if they wanted to upgrade before they even had a chance to mention it! They upgraded to 4-day tickets on the spot. They also reported that, even with the short wait at park opening, it only took 15 minutes.

OP here. Just thought I'd share my experience with upgrading last week. We chose to upgrade 3 of our 4 tickets and keep one for FPs. We went to the will call window at AK around 3 in the afternoon on our arrival day. The CM was able to not only issue our 1 day tix, but she then upgraded them on the spot to 7-day base tickets just like we wanted. No needing to use the ticket and then deal with it later. The entire process took about 15 minutes and was well worth it.

Pam

Thanks for the report! We are upgrading our GAD vouchers to AP renewals, so it will be nice to not have to be issued one day tickets, use them, then go back to guest relations to upgrade them to our AP renewals. :cutie:

Can I upgrade a one day GAD ticket to a water park and fun type ticket (don't want to have extra theme park days just want to see if I can tie it into a couple waterpark visits)?

If so, how much would it cost and how many waterpark visits would I be entitled to with a one day GAD ticket?

Thank you

Can I upgrade a one day GAD ticket to a water park and fun type ticket (don't want to have extra theme park days just want to see if I can tie it into a couple waterpark visits)?

If so, how much would it cost and how many waterpark visits would I be entitled to with a one day GAD ticket?

Thank you

Sorry, but no, you cannot use it for a water park/etc. only ticket. It can only be used for a major park ticket.

However, if all you wanted two water park days, you could turn the GAD voucher in for the 1-day park ticket, and add the WPFM option to it for $52+tax. That option on a 1- or 2-day ticket gives you two WPFM admissions, which is cheaper than two separate water park admissions.

Ok I thought I had it then I read this thread.......:confused:

We are getting 3 GAD tickets, one for me, DH and DD8. I think I have this right but we can NOT use my adult ticket for DS4 (who is disqualified from GAD) to enter the parks or upgrade in any combination, right?

DH and I are AP holders, we are going in May our AP's are good till September. We will be back in September (for free dining we hope) and will renew our AP's then. Can we turn in our voucher in May and get our 1 day tickets and hold them to rewnew our AP in September when we come back?

Can any renewals with a GAD ticket exchange (assuming I already have the ticket in my hand from our May trip) be done over the phone? The 15 month deal expires on 8/31 and if we have to I can back up our Sept trip so we can get there to renew and get the deal but I really don't want to move it if I can avoid it.

Another unrelated but related question. I have several 1 day MYW ticket at home at least 1 that I know where its at. It's never been used was an adult ticket (to get free dining), can I give that ticket to DS4 to get him in the park and then upgrade the ticket?

Thanks

Ok I thought I had it then I read this thread.......:confused:

We are getting 3 GAD tickets, one for me, DH and DD8. I think I have this right but we can NOT use my adult ticket for DS4 (who is disqualified from GAD) to enter the parks or upgrade in any combination, right?

Correct. The ticket is only good for the person in whose name the voucher is printed (i.e. the volunteer).

DH and I are AP holders, we are going in May our AP's are good till September. We will be back in September (for free dining we hope) and will renew our AP's then. Can we turn in our voucher in May and get our 1 day tickets and hold them to rewnew our AP in September when we come back?
No, the ticket is only good the day you get it...but why not just hold your vouchers until September and then use them to renew? The vouchers are good through December 15th.

Can any renewals with a GAD ticket exchange (assuming I already have the ticket in my hand from our May trip) be done over the phone? The 15 month deal expires on 8/31 and if we have to I can back up our Sept trip so we can get there to renew and get the deal but I really don't want to move it if I can avoid it.
No, but see answer above. Unfortunately, if you can't get to WDW by August 31st (and it being within your 30 days), you wouldn't be able to utilize the GAD ticket value AND get 15 months.

Another unrelated but related question. I have several 1 day MYW ticket at home at least 1 that I know where its at. It's never been used was an adult ticket (to get free dining), can I give that ticket to DS4 to get him in the park and then upgrade the ticket?

Thanks
Hmmm...I don't SEE a problem with this, although the CMs may pause when a finger scan is required for a 4yo, and then trying to upgrade said ticket...but you CAN simply take the ticket and upgrade it at book (purchase) value to a child's ticket so long as the resulting ticket is worth at least as much - just adding a single day would be sufficient to meet that requirement. Cheshire Figment might have a more definitive answer on trying to use it first though.

No, the ticket is only good the day you get it...but why not just hold your vouchers until September and then use them to renew? The vouchers are good through December 15th.

You know I never even thought of that and it definately makes the most sense.
Thanks for your help!

If you have an unused MYW adult ticket it can be upgraded to a child multi-day ticket. However, you will only get the price Disney originally sold it for, without price bridging, sol if it was purchased at less than the current gate price you will only get that amount as the value.

If you go to the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets in this Forum, especially Post #15-D, you can get a lot more information. An easy way to get to the sticky is by clicking on the link in my signature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter