Gators at resorts...facts and wise tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, maybe a dumb question but should I now think there are alligators in the water by the Beach Club/Yacht Club/Boardwalk ? Looking at maps, the water appears contained as it runs from Studios to EPCOT (unlike Seven Seas Lagoon which connects to other waterways that extend). I have been on the boats from Beach Club/Boardwalk to Studios many, many times and have never seen a gator.

So, maybe a dumb question but should I now think there are alligators in the water by the Beach Club/Yacht Club/Boardwalk ? Looking at maps, the water appears contained as it runs from Studios to EPCOT (unlike Seven Seas Lagoon which connects to other waterways that extend). I have been on the boats from Beach Club/Boardwalk to Studios many, many times and have never seen a gator.
I've seen a small gator many times walking into the Beach Club. I'd assume there are gators in all the water.

Plenty of turtles and fish, too.

I would assume any body of fresh water in Florida has gators.

In Michigan no swimming means stay the heck out of the water. I find it hard to understand how people can look at a body of water with signs up that state no swimming and think it is ok to go into that water at all. Just a difference in how we were raised to think that sign means, I guess.
I've always taken it to mean stay out of the water too.

Thank you for posting this photo. I'm not even sure if there is a word to describe my incredulity at people acting like the world should know of the danger of hanging around the water when the setup is presented as a beach and designed to attract families to come and hang out. Please, come hang out, roast marshmallows, watch a movie, BUT OMG STAY AWAY FROM THE WATER DON'T EVEN PUT A TOE IN IT! It just doesn't make any sense at all. And people are acting like these guests have no common sense? It's INCREDIBLY unfair. If this water is so hazardous then this is basically the equivalent of Disney holding this little family gathering on a cliff. No one would ever dream they would do something so reckless with the potential for such a tragedy. Yet this is apparently what they are doing right here.

Disney needs to make some changes to these fake beaches. And people who are upset about the "overreaction"? You can't have it both ways. Either this type of event is so uncommon because only one fatality has occurred in the last 45 years OR the water is OBVIOUSLY dangerous because its Florida (duh!) and there's alligators around every corner and in every puddle of water. If the latter is the case, then Disney should not be recreating beaches and trying to attract families to such a potentially dangerous area. Period.

+1000

Perfectly said. This was preventable. This isn't It's A Small World. You can't show a family a perfect kiddie beach and then tell the kids it's not real, it's just there to add 'environment'. These beaches are to imagineers what the cobwebs are to the Haunted Mansion, just window dressing, just a bit of juxtaposed vacation fantasy between the hotel and the lagoon, can't let a scary sign ruin the magic.

Oh wow I have posted on facebook. Hoping that my post gets re posted so that we can reach others who have no idea. However that sign. That's a good one Maybe Disney should invest in making some signs like that and posting all over these beaches and waterways? Just put the gator where the shark is. It might help.

Asking for Disney to rid properties and bodies of water of all gators is like asking them to rid the air of the bugs. The land was basically a swamp before Disney built on to it. Gators will find their ways in the water. Gators don't get to bodies of water through the water. You can't put a "gate" in the canals to keep gators out. They can get to it by land. There is no preventing it and no knowing if or how many are in the water at any given time. Except as of today, there are 5 fewer.

As for all the kids near the water in the pictures posted... yes, there could be gators in the water. But gator attacks, especially deadly ones, are so rare. Shark attacks are far more common in FL oceans and yet people still go in. It's an inherent risk. In 45 years, with countless visitors, this was the first gator incident. It was definitely a freak accident.
And even if the gator dragged the boy in and then let go, a 2 year old can not swim. He drowned. I don't know if the outcome would be different if he could swim, but it is always a good idea to have kids in a life jacket even when near large bodies of water for this reason.
Those poor parents though. They did what many have done and this is terribly unlucky. Not much more than bad luck though.

I wouldn't walk near where there are lakes at night though. That would be a personal precaution in FL.

Yeah, I thought the same thing; I think we all agree that Disney owes it to their guests to post signs like the ones on the Cape - make it clear that you are not allowed in the water and make it clear that there are alligators in these waters. Once my wife saw the shark signs she never as much dipped her toe in the ocean.

Everyone knows they closed River Country because of water quality issues... correct? They weren't allowed to continue to have a water park that was supplied by lake water of Bay Lake. So why would anyone want to go in the water? It's been many years since there have been signs that have said 'no swimming', some people seem to expect some incredibly long-winded sign posted that specifies ALL THE REASONS why you shouldn't be in or around the water - again that no one is going to read because people just do whatever they want anyways, I've seen people and their children in the lake water at Disney... Guess Disney is going to need some signs that have alligator and snake shapes on them. Perhaps a shore monitoring cast member will be needed. The argument about swimming vs. wading is just ridiculous to me - everyone wants to make an exception for wading because it wasn't explicit. Well no smoking means no cigars and no cigarettes, the size of the smoking doesn't matter.

This is Florida, land of snakes, gators, flesh eating bacteria, brain amoebas, sharks, crazy people, tell your friends and family because if you have never heard about it up until now, you might be in for an unexpected surprise. Use common sense, lock your car doors, don't open your hotel room door to strangers, keep an eye on your kids so they don't wander into an unsupervised pool area, life jackets should be a must with small children around water, keep your arms and legs inside the ride vehicle, don't stick your fingers in the ride water...don't stick your legs out of the Tower of Terror Elevators...don't smoke at the gas station pumps.

I've seen a water moccasin sunning itself (at Boardwalk hotel) on the sidewalk near the open water near the parking lot. I've seen small snakes around. We've seen gators in the water pond outside of Beach Club. We always assume there are gators everywhere because this is Florida, and that is so ingrained in our minds. Gators snag pets all the time, and it is well known that you should never take your pets near or on fresh water in Florida because it will attrack a gator, they can tip small boats over and attack.

This is a tragedy, this could have been prevented had the parents been forewarned about Florida wildlife. I expect Disney is going to fill the beach with a rock barrier, similar to how it's set up near the GF Villas area, or come up with some other preventative measure to keep guests safer. They need to keep people out of the water, for 99% of people who do know to stay clear, 1% won't keep out of it, so it can happen again. There are ALWAYS going to be people who break the rules.

I am heartbroken about this little boy, I can't even imagine what his parents are going through. This whole weekend has been marred by tragedy in Orlando.

P.S. I'll be changing my long time avatar of Tick Tock, just haven't had a chance to do it yet.

I have not read this whole thread- but have a question. With all I am hearing about gators and brain eating bacteria and dangerous snakes- how is it that water sports in this same water is encouraged and safe? We were thinking of letting the kids rent the little zippy boats and have some fun, but no. What if they fall in? What if they get water in their mouth? Is this not dangerous? While I have seen a small gator at CSR it was in the central water and not in a place where people go. I naively assumed that the water where people were encouraged to go, was safe.

When I did an eco tour several years ago I was warned any body of water in Florida can contain an alligator, so be cautious!

SOG has always had a lot of wildlife on its grounds, hence the warning signs. It's because of its location. It's sandwiched between 2 golf courses, and is surrounded by numerous water courses. Ask anyone who has golfed at Disney. Gators are frequently seen either in the water or sunning themselves on the banks. As for snakes, again they're common in the southern US. Most are not venomous, but you never want to get close enough to find out for sure.
Lake Buena Vista Golf Course has signs telling you to not retrieve your ball if it goes out-of-bounds in some areas. You are also told by the starters and marshals about gators and snakes. I have golfed in Florida about 30 times. This is from April:

GG122-XL.jpg

At every Florida golf course, there are signs to not feed the animals...gators included. And as an earlier poster noted, that goes unheeded. Gators fear humans until they rely on them for food.

I feel bad for the family and those that watched this event.

Too many posts I can quote, so I'm just going to put the information here, and y'all can sort out who wants to read it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/alligator/faqs/

Florida has a healthy and stable alligator population. We have about 1.3 million alligators in Florida. Alligators live in all 67 counties, and they inhabit all wild areas of Florida that can support them. The removal of nuisance alligators does not have a significant impact on our state's alligator population.

Relocated alligators often try to return to their capture site. They can create problems for people or other alligators along the way. If an alligator successfully returns, capturing it again would be necessary and likely more difficult the second time.

To avoid creating a problem at the release site, nuisance alligators would need to be relocated to remote areas where they would not encounter people. These remote areas already have healthy alligator populations, and the ones that already live there have established social structures. The introduction of a new alligator to these areas would likely cause fighting, possibly resulting in the death of a resident alligator or the introduced alligator
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://myfwc.com/conservation/freshwater/wetland-habitat/

lorida lost more than 260,000 acres of freshwater, emergent wetlands during 1985-1996, and the rate of loss of this wetland type more than doubled as compared to the rate during the 1970's-1980's period. Wetlands, particularly freshwater emergent wetlands, are essential for waterfowl and other wildlife, yet losses continue. Since Florida became a state, total wetland area has decreased by approximately 44%.

Wetland habitat in wintering areas such as Florida is important in the overall annual cycle ofmigratory waterfowl. Habitat conditions during this non-breeding period affect waterfowl survival and reproduction in subsequent years. Ducks must maintain or improve their body condition during winter to avoid mortality during spring migration and to meet the physiological demands of the nesting season (i.e., egg laying, incubation). The FWC's waterfowl staff devotes considerable resources to monitoring and managing these migrant birds and providing quality habitat for them in Florida.

Managing wetland habitat is critical to providing the greatest quantity and highest quality of habitat possible to support Florida's waterfowl and other wetland-dependent wildlife. Without a large habitat base that includes breeding, migration, and wintering areas, waterfowl populations will decline despite any attempt to restrict sport harvest. Wetland habitat management has importance beyond its value to waterfowl by benefiting many other Florida plant and wildlife specie
s.

The FWC provides technical assistance on wetland conservation and management issues around the state. We work with many agencies, organizations, and private landowners to cooperatively manage wetlands. Unfortunately, not all technical assistance produces a tangible increase in waterfowl habitat, but our input does cause the welfare of wetlands and waterfowl to be considered when resource management decisions are made. The FWC manages several wetland areas with a focus on providing waterfowl habitat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw230

The key to staying safe is being alert to the possibility of alligators being present. Never feed gators or swim or wade in waters where large alligators are known or likely to occur, especially at dusk or night (when they naturally feed). It is illegal to feed alligators. When humans feed alligators, it causes the alligators to lose their natural fear of humans and to associate humans with food. It doesn't matter if people feed them human-food like marshmallows or throw them fish guts when cleaning fish, it's all bad. It changes the alligator's behavior.

Normally, alligators avoid humans, but alligators that have been fed by humans will move toward humans and can become aggressive. Alligators that have been fed by humans are dangerous and should be reported to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Its very important to keep children and pets away from the water's edge wherever alligators are likely to be present. Do not allow dogs to swim or explore waters that are known to have alligators because dogs look like prey to alligators. There are far more alligator attacks on dogs than on humans. An alligator's prey selection seems based mostly on size of the potential prey animal, not so much on a keen recognition of specific animals as prey or non-prey.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/food-chain-american-alligator-2b07526ac7c4da5d

Fish and turtles are the most important prey for most alligators, but they are not fussy eaters. Other common prey species include snakes, frogs, toads, salamanders, birds, lizards, beavers, raccoons, nutria, rats, crustaceans, mollusks, insects and smaller alligators. Young alligators feed on smaller prey, including insects, frogs and fish. Alligators of all ages adapt to local food sources, but they are strictly carnivorous and do not eat vegetation.

Wading birds, snakes, large fish, turtles, raccoons, foxes and larger alligators hunt young alligators. As they grow, young alligators add more and larger prey to their list of acceptable food. Concurrently, alligators fear fewer predators as they grow.

Alligators are an important part of freshwater ecosystems as they help to maintain balance among the populations of small animals. Additionally, turtles and some other animals deposit their eggs in alligator nest
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And here's a (small) example of the food chain with the alligator.

http://swampplan.weebly.com/food-chain.html

Burmese Python
Alligator
Fish
Grasshopper
Grass
Sun

No alligator, more Pythons...which, BTW, can eat a full grown alligator.
Think about that....

A lot of people are talking about a lawsuit and that could be a possibility but one thing almost all corporations do these days when you sign a contract, as in your hotel receipt when you book or check in, is include a clause saying that if there is any injury you agree to not file a lawsuit and submit the case to arbitration. This is an arbitrator paid for by the corporation and by and large seems to favor the corporation in statistics. I have not looked into this as far as Disney in particular but I have seen it in other hotel paperwork. I know that congress has tried to pass laws to limit these arbitration clauses but nothing was ever passed.

totally agree.

How hard would it be to put up a rope that extends along the edge of the water? That alone would be a simple visible barrier that would remind people to stay away.

Better signs would be a start. A simple sign warning people that there are alligators would do wonders. The thing I keep coming back to is if people were clear as to the nature of an alligator attack, I don't think any parent in their right mind would even be on that beach in the evening or at night time. Because your child could be standing right at the edge, not even in the water, and be a victim. Sure, it's rare, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Whether they are in 3 inches of water or standing right next to the waterline, is that really a difference? Would any sane parent say, "well, he's in danger in three inches of water but perfectly safe standing right next to the water!" I read comments on a different thread chastising the parents, saying it's common knowledge that in Florida, not only does no swimming mean no wading, but it means don't go ANYWHERE NEAR the water. If that's the case, then these beaches and their activities need to go.

Just some things I've learned from going to school in Florida (yes, they legitimately teach us these things)

1) Gators are afraid of humans. They will not seek you out. It's okay, you will be fine as long as you're not in their water

2) Assume EVERY freshwater source has a gator. Even check your swimming pool. I live in South Florida, and there are actual companies that specialize in removing gators from places like these (the show Gator Boys is located about 5 mins from me)

3) (I have no idea how reliable this is) but it a gator chases you, run in zig zag. Gators can run up to 35 mph in a straigh line. Again, Gators do not normally prey on humans.

4) This has nothing to do with alligators, but the leading cause of death for children under 4 in the state of Florida is drowning. Children can drown in as litle of inches of water. Where I live, almost everyone has access to a pool, so this has been drilled into my head time and time again. Gator or no gator, as a nurse, I would reccomend supervising small children at all times around any body of water. Even if it's a few inches.

I have to admit that before this incident I had no knowledge of gators being on Disney property. I honestly thought Disney had some sort of barrier to prevent them from entering. As for the sign I would definitely not let my kids touch the waters, but would have made the mistake of sittting a couple feet away from it. Like the picture posted I would have thought it was safe enough to do that. I've read of alligators jumping out and snatching pets and people who are just passing by, not sure how true this is. This unfortunate accident most likely has opened the eyes of many unaware Guests who will be visiting in the future.

I hope that the family finds some sort of way to recover from this tragedy. I can imagine the images are replaying in their minds over and over. The thoughts of how many different ways this would have been prevented. My heart breaks at the thought of what that poor child went through. My prayers to the family and those who witnessed this horrific accident. RIP little Angel!!

I don't live in Florida, but from reading the discards I had read stories of people seeing snakes and alligators around the area. I'm afraid of both and I'm also a rule follower, I know others aren't like me. When I see a sign for No Swimming. I don't go near the water and I also don't think of putting my feet in water since it says No swimming and that means same thing to me. I'm glad I'm a chicken and use caution with everything. Praying for this family and hoping we all learn from this, that includes Disney, people following story and the family.

Disney dropped the ball on this one. There absolutely should be signs saying BEWARE OF ALLIGATORS. This didn't happen bc parents were disregarding rules or being negligent. It happened because as non Floridians they had no real idea of the possible danger. Why would they? They are at their resort on property. They were on a beach at that resort next to a man made lake. Disney did not inform anyone of the danger and in fact guests are encouraged to use the beaches AT NIGHT. I'm quite sure there will be a major change in not only signage and guest awareness of alligators being in the water but possibly no more beach access at the resorts.

The sanctimonious declarations of "well when there is a sign that says no swimming I know better than to go in the water" are judgemental and heartless. There but for the grace of God go any one of us. My own kids have splashed in that exact water. There are marketing pictures taken BY DISNEY that show people walking along the shores with their feet in the water! I realize now how lucky we were to leave that beach safely. No matter what disney does to "fix" this, that baby is dead bc his parents were not warned of the danger. Period. My prayers are with that devastated family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter