• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Gettysburg GG

ftwildernessguy

<font color=green>I have a linen closet at home fu
There was talk at WDW last week about a possible GG at Gettysburg next spring. In the interest of keeping the momentum going, I am starting to gather information to try to organize this. So to start, I need to know when people would be interested in doing this and for how long - a weekend, a week, what? Pennsylvania winters can be somewhat unpredictable, so I would think May at the earliest. It looks like most campgrounds have discounted rates until Memorial Day weekend. So post your times you might be interested and let the planning begin!

An excellent idea. We talked about it last year, but never got to the finish line.

We'd love it, but the kids won't be out of school until the end of May. With 4 days driving, we'd need more than a weekend to pull it off. I know it's more expensive in June, but I think that would be the earliest we could do it, unless you're talking Spring Break. But, like you said, that's a bit too early.

I'll wait and let some other voices chime in.

An excellent idea. We talked about it last year, but never got to the finish line.

We'd love it, but the kids won't be out of school until the end of May. With 4 days driving, we'd need more than a weekend to pull it off. I know it's more expensive in June, but I think that would be the earliest we could do it, unless you're talking Spring Break. But, like you said, that's a bit too early.

I'll wait and let some other voices chime in.

This is what I'm trying to find out, Rob. I have no problems with the summer. Gettysburg is only about a 2 hour drive for me, so even if people want to come for a longer stay and I can only do a couple days it's no big deal for me. The price difference really isn't that significant - maybe 10 bucks or so a day. I am looking into the Drummer Boy campground as a possible location. If anybody has any problems with this one, let me know. Summer time would probably be better for kids who would like to swim - they have 2 pools, one with a slide.

http://www.drummerboycampresort.com/index.php?pr=Home

I don't want to promise anything I can't deliver on, but I also have a friend who is a licensed guide for the battlefield and I may be able to swing some special rate or something there. He only does it part time, so it may not be a happening thing, but as time goes on if this looks like it's going to happen, I can check with him.

:banana: Woo Hoo!!!! :yay:

This is my neck of the woods, about a 3 hr drive for us.

If we can work it out with kids sports, I would LOVE to be included in this!!!

Kelly and i had talked about this before, i planned on visiting her towards the end of June. I would love to add this to our trip.

15 min drive for us.

If you need us to check out anything just ask away.

Jim, keep me posted. Not sure right now when would be best for us, but I'll definitely talk to DH and find out....sounds like fun!!

We were going to NY this sumer.Would be a short drive down. No set dates yet. Sounds great. Missed GG by one week this year.:sad1:

GRRREAT. count us in especially if it as after May. This is one trip we planned on making next year. shirley 38:banana::banana::banana:

We are taking our roadtrip around then, let me know.

:)
Me & the DW, just after getting home from Fort, were thinking about going to Gettysburg in November, but we put the 5'r to bed. June s/b ok in PA.
We are about 6o miles away.
Formally from Philly, we have been to Valley Forge numerous times. I hate to admit it, but last year was our 1st time at Gettysburg.
Gettysburg is a must do----I did my homework about Gettysburg on-line and we did a self tour of the battlefields.
My reaction was similar to standing in front of the White House for the first time. THIS IS A GREAT COUNTRY----Don't let it slip by.

There is a super web site out there, about those 3 days in July at Gettysburg. If I can find it, I will put the link on the board. A must read before going to Gettysburg.
john

I'm in! Anytime in June or the very beginning of July is best for me. I'm only a few hours away, so I can do a long weekend or a week, whichever is best for everyone. :goodvibes

:goodvibes
A great Gettysburg website.

Click on http://www.nps.gov/gett/index.htm

This the home page. If you want to indulge in a few hours of history, on the home page, click on (upper left corner) HISTORY AND CULTURE.

When the page comes up scroll down and click on VIRTUAL TOUR OF GETTYSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK. You will get the page THE STORY OF THE BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG. A lot of mini links are in these historic passages.

This is where I did my homework to walk in the footsteps of these brave men and women.
john

If anyone from south Florida goes stop and pick me up. I don't want to share any expenses getting there and I'd like to use a site that I can ride my bike and cook at. I also request all expenses paid.

Thanks in advance.

This would be a really nice place for some of the fiends with kids who might want or need to do a great book report.

If anyone from south Florida goes stop and pick me up. I don't want to share any expenses getting there and I'd like to use a site that I can ride my bike and cook at. I also request all expenses paid.

Thanks in advance.

:lmao:

Let me know if that works, I'll try it myself. :)

Thanks in advance.

are you fixing to get some beer and borrow a fork as well? or did your sister in law take the napkins?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter