Goofy 2015

If you really want to be crazy, you could do something like this. The Dopey Palindrome Challenge

Thursday, 1/8: 5k
Friday, 1/9: 10k
Saturday 1/10: Half Mary
Sunday 1/11: Full Marathon
Monday 1/12: Early morning half marathon at Fort Wilderness
Tuesday 1/13: 10k on deck
Wednesday 1/14: Castaway Cay 5k.

It's one thing to convince someone (or an entire family) to spend a few extra nights in WDW to complete the Dopey Challenge, but to convince a family to THEN add a cruise on top of that....:confused3

At this point, this is really just a bonus for those already planning to do both. Except, now in exchange for 2 more medals, these people have to pay for a race that was once free. Is advanced registration allowed? My understanding is that you had to sign up for the 5k once on the ship. What if you get on board and it's sold out?

Also, it's a shame that this wasn't announced before the WDW Weekend sold out. Those already on the cruise may have decided to add on an extra night or two before their trip to compete in one of the races.

It's one thing to convince someone (or an entire family) to spend a few extra nights in WDW to complete the Dopey Challenge, but to convince a family to THEN add a cruise on top of that....:confused3

At this point, this is really just a bonus for those already planning to do both. Except, now in exchange for 2 more medals, these people have to pay for a race that was once free. Is advanced registration allowed? My understanding is that you had to sign up for the 5k once on the ship. What if you get aboard and it's sold out?

Also, it's a shame that this wasn't announced before the WDW Weekend sold out. Those already on the cruise may have decided to add on an extra night or two before their trip to compete in one of the races.

Registration opens Friday, May 23rd.

If you really want to be crazy, you could do something like this. The Dopey Palindrome Challenge

Haha! I like it!!! :thumbsup2

If you can run a half after a full then my hats off to you.

If you can run a half after a full then my hats off to you.

Tentative starting time for the FW Half Marathon is 0330 located at the Meadows on 1/12/2015. Since I expect my pace to be slow, I have to get going at that time to assure a finish time that will allow me to freshen up before we catch our ride to the Dream.

McFlurry John

Joining this thread since I just registered for Goofy!!

I ran the 2014 Glass Slipper Challenge and have run 3 other (non disney) half marathons, but this will be my first full!

I am excited and also a little nervous at the same time. Any marathon advice would be appreciated! I am glad I got the back to back experience on a smaller scale earlier this year, so I feel a little more prepared for the getting up early, back to back runs, and taking it easy on the first race.

I took the plunge and registered for Goofy last night! :hyper: This will be my 7th half marathon, and 1st marathon. Part of me feels a little crazy for not doing a 'regular' marathon first but I figure as long as I train well and have fun I'll be okay.

For past Goofy-runners- what are your best tips for prepping for the marathon after the half? Ice bath? How much park touring do you do?

I took the plunge and registered for Goofy last night! :hyper: This will be my 7th half marathon, and 1st marathon. Part of me feels a little crazy for not doing a 'regular' marathon first but I figure as long as I train well and have fun I'll be okay.

For past Goofy-runners- what are your best tips for prepping for the marathon after the half? Ice bath? How much park touring do you do?

I think you have this backwards. IMO, Disney is the perfect race to be your first marathon (it was mine!). There isn't a whole lot of pressure, you have an excuse to slow down by taking pictures, and you won't be the slowest one there! The only drawback I do see is that it is easy to get carried away in WDW before the race and tire yourself out.

Joining this thread since I just registered for Goofy!!

I ran the 2014 Glass Slipper Challenge and have run 3 other (non disney) half marathons, but this will be my first full!

I am excited and also a little nervous at the same time. Any marathon advice would be appreciated! I am glad I got the back to back experience on a smaller scale earlier this year, so I feel a little more prepared for the getting up early, back to back runs, and taking it easy on the first race.

Congratulations on taking the plunge, ladies! :cool1: I agree that Disney is a great first marathon. This will be my first Goofy as well, so I can't give you many tips there but I'm trusting what other seasoned runners here have said and that is that if you commit and do the training you will be able to do it just fine.

I think you have this backwards. IMO, Disney is the perfect race to be your first marathon (it was mine!). There isn't a whole lot of pressure, you have an excuse to slow down by taking pictures, and you won't be the slowest one there! The only drawback I do see is that it is easy to get carried away in WDW before the race and tire yourself out.

That's actually a really good point! I didn't think of it that way before! :goodvibes

Yes, I'm a little worried about that too. We're going to have to make some low key plans and stick it them (no matter the excitement!)

Congratulations on taking the plunge, ladies! :cool1: I agree that Disney is a great first marathon. This will be my first Goofy as well, so I can't give you many tips there but I'm trusting what other seasoned runners here have said and that is that if you commit and do the training you will be able to do it just fine.

Thank you! That gorgeous 10-year Goofy medal is certainly good motivation to stick with the training! :thumbsup2

I agree about Disney being the best place to do your first marathon,I also did my first full at Disney.For example my local Miami half/full marathon,both races are run at the same time and there were about 20,000 finishers between the half and the full but about 16,000 of them were half marathoners leaving only 4,000 or so to continue on from miles 13 on.The Disney full has 25,000 people running the full on its own day.Would you rather be running a marathon with 25,000 other runners,many of them in costumes or one where in the middle of the race the runners start disappearing so you have to keep yourself motivated to keep going,The on course entertainment of other marathons is never going to match what you find a Disney and where else do you know that at mile 5 you'll be running through Main Street USA,mile 12 you might get a shot at riding a rollercoaster,mile 19 you'll run through a baseball stadium,and from mile 22 on it starts to feel like you're coming down the home stretch hitting DHS,the Epcot resorts,Epcot World Showcase and the finish line.I'll see you on the course both days as I'll also be doing Goofy.

I agree about Disney being the best place to do your first marathon,I also did my first full at Disney.For example my local Miami half/full marathon,both races are run at the same time and there were about 20,000 finishers between the half and the full but about 16,000 of them were half marathoners leaving only 4,000 or so to continue on from miles 13 on.The Disney full has 25,000 people running the full on its own day.Would you rather be running a marathon where in the middle of the race the runners start dissapearing so you have to keep yourself motivated to keep going,The on course entertainment is never going to match what you find a Disney and where else do you know that at mile 5 you'll be running through Main Street USA,mile 12 you might get a shot at riding a rollercoaster,mile 19 you'll run through a baseball stadium,and from mile 22 on it starts to feel like you're coming down the home stretch hitting DHS,the Epcot resorts,Epcot World Showcase and the finish line.I'll see you on the course both days as I'll also be doing Goofy.

Another great point! There will be plenty of cheers/entertainment/distraction along the way. Big races are the best too! I did the Philadelphia Half Marathon a couple years ago and it still remains my favorite because of the sheer number of runners!

The on course entertainment is never going to match what you find a Disney and where else do you know that at mile 5 you'll be running through Main Street USA,mile 12 you might get a shot at riding a rollercoaster,mile 19 you'll run through a baseball stadium,and from mile 22 on it starts to feel like you're coming down the home stretch hitting DHS,the Epcot resorts,Epcot World Showcase and the finish line.I'll see you on the course both days as I'll also be doing Goofy.

This idea is exactly what convinces me that I can survive a full and that I might have fun doing it. The PHM was the most fun/easiest feeling race and/or long run I have ever done, because instead of chugging through the miles, I found myself happy to go from photo op to photo op! I am hoping that same feeling will carry me through the marathon!

I sooooo want to ride Everest during the race too! Any tips on that from runners who have done it?

I sooooo want to ride Everest during the race too! Any tips on that from runners who have done it?

Run slowly. With the new course, the coaster is at roughly mile 13 and opens at 9am. That means you'll need to run a 2:30-3:15 first half, depending on which corral you start in. The closer your corral is to the front, the slower your first half will have to be.

I think I was in M and it was running when we got there. Don't go in the single rider line. We did that and had quite a wait to ride. The other runners just loaded on. I won't do it this year. I thought the ride robbed some energy from me that I never quite recovered. But I am an older runner (who loves coasters). I finished but had difficulties on the race that I never encountered on my long training runs. I finished (my first) but this year I have other goals than just finishing.

Run slowly. With the new course, the coaster is at roughly mile 13 and opens at 9am. That means you'll need to run a 2:30-3:15 first half, depending on which corral you start in. The closer your corral is to the front, the slower your first half will have to be.

Thanks for the heads up! It will probably be a good idea to run a slow first half anyways in hopes of having a better second half, but I never even thought of this!

I am running with someone who submitted a 2:10 proof of time (I have a 1:56 proof but will be dropping back). Any idea what corral this will put us in? We were in corral E at the PHM, and if I recall correctly the higher corrals went off fairly frequently but I don't remember how long apart or what time we started running. Anybody have any insight?

I think I was in M and it was running when we got there. Don't go in the single rider line. We did that and had quite a wait to ride. The other runners just loaded on. I won't do it this year. I thought the ride robbed some energy from me that I never quite recovered. But I am an older runner (who loves coasters). I finished but had difficulties on the race that I never encountered on my long training runs. I finished (my first) but this year I have other goals than just finishing.

I thought I had read somewhere that they let runners through the fastpass line. Is this true, or is the regular standby line the way to go?

Hopefully it doesn't affect my running too much, I am a little worried that stopping and sitting down will be harder on my legs to get moving again, but I figure that it is a once in a lifetime chance that I don't wanna pass up!

This year I submitted a half marathon time of 2:13 and was in corral H for the marathon. We went off just before 6am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter