Have any other DVC owners lost their points because of Disney's closures?

I think in my case it is. If they allow people to borrow they are taking inventory away from what could be left open for those of us trying to use our 2019 points. If they are trying to make sure the inventory isn't flooded because of people who were allowed to bank their 2019 points when their resv were cancelled then why would they allow folks to borrow to make yet a tighter market?

You bring up a very good point. They probably should be suspending borrowing right now...until they figure this all out... so that no points are brought forward. That was the logic with allowing borrowed points to go back...so they would attach them back to future inventory

I think in my case it is. If they allow people to borrow they are taking inventory away from what could be left open for those of us trying to use our 2019 points. If they are trying to make sure the inventory isn't flooded because of people who were allowed to bank their 2019 points when their resv were cancelled then why would they allow folks to borrow to make yet a tighter market?

Sorry, I don't think I caught your entire issue. Were you saying before that you had 2019 UY points that you banked into your 2020 UY and now member services won't let you use those points in a 2020 reservation? If so, and the home resort is the same (if the reservation you want to apply them to was originally booked in the home resort period), and the current reservation uses some 2020UY points that you want to replace that makes no sense, this is something I have even been able to do online by modifying a reservation after canceling one that used banked points. If the issue is one of availability, yes, that's an issue. I booked a one bedroom in order to use up my points because studios were totally booked for when I wanted to go.

So, for those that lost the points for March/April trips from banking 2018 and using 2019 they should just say oh well?? They -the owners- are not going to do that. That also means that those of us who have May and June bookings will also deserve any accommodation that the earlier UYs received. If DVCM changes the rules for one then they must change it for all. Because a change is a change. An exception or whatever. I understand that the large number of points could overload the system. I also know that if you buy something then you are entitled to its full use. I am not here to argue the point. there is no reason to do that. I will take it up with DVCM if I need to do so.

My previous post was to state that the exception if any should be for ANYONE who has a trip booked and it get canceled due to the resorts closing. As for OTU points, if i paid via Debit card then they should give it back to me on my debit card. That is a different matter altogether. I could not use them therefore they should refund them.

All the best. stay safe.

Yikes. I've been a member for 20 years now and own at 4 resorts. You have the ability to save your points today. If I were in your shoes I would cancel and bank the points that can be banked today only and call MS tomorrow to get your 2020 points returned (if that is still being offered.)

I sure wouldn't fool around with this mess if I had your options.

You can talk what's right or wrong and what should be done and what should be refunded all day long, but it's not going to do you any good if you lose out on your options now and DVC can't do anything for you later.

I have points that I couldn't bank. I'm thankful that my other points were returned to my use year.

As for opening the resorts, Disney is allowing bookings starting June 1. Not so sure they'll be able to keep that time table. If they do it's highly doubtful DVC will open before the regular Disney resorts.

Sorry, I don't think I caught your entire issue. Were you saying before that you had 2019 UY points that you banked into your 2020 UY and now member services won't let you use those points in a 2020 reservation? If so, and the home resort is the same (if the reservation you want to apply them to was originally booked in the home resort period), and the current reservation uses some 2020UY points that you want to replace that makes no sense, this is something I have even been able to do online by modifying a reservation after canceling one that used banked points. If the issue is one of availability, yes, that's an issue. I booked a one bedroom in order to use up my points because studios were totally booked for when I wanted to go.
No they were 2019 (June UY) points that were being used for a trip the end of March, which was cancelled because they closed the resort.

We have a 50-pt contract (Feb UY) that we use for an every-three-year trip to HHI. This year was supposed to be our year. We were scheduled to leave in 2 days. Well, I am a front-line healthcare provider and I have been working my full-time shift and special deployments since February, working an average of 70 hours a week to fight this virus, and I knew that this vacation just wasn't going to happen. We were bringing my sister and her family with us for their first visit and we've been planning and saving for this trip for the past 2 years. While we found it a little painful to cancel, we were at peace with the decision because it is the right thing to do at this point. We had no money invested in the vacation and we are just going to try and go next year instead.

Right now, with everything shut down, I have to focus on keeping myself and my family healthy. I work as a paramedic in Michigan and this pandemic is unreal. I have been a Disneyphile my whole life and this has put things in perspective. Disney and DVC used to be something that consumed my life but now, they are merely a tiny distraction. In fact, this is the first time I have been on the DIS in probably 3 weeks. Losing points is disappointing....losing a vacation is sad....but getting sick, dying, watching others die...that is a whole different type of loss....a REAL loss...and one that you don't just bounce back from next year. Yes, I lost my vacation this year and I might lose some points...but right now, I have my health, my family and my LIFE...and I am thankful.

I have a trip with my dad scheduled for the end of October, using our 100-pt AKV contract. We were booked for 5 nights in a value studio and had our arrival night booked at Pop Century. When I cancelled the HHI vacation, I used the 50 banked points and upgraded our fall trip. We used (4) OTU points and made our arrival night reservation in a standard studio at AKV-Jambo, followed by 2 nights in the value studio and then 3 nights in a 1BR at Kidani. Will we be able to take this trip?? Who knows? My concern is not if Disney will be open...my concern is will my Dad still be healthy?? Will *I* still be healthy?? This virus is REAL and it is dangerous...it is NOT just the flu and it is NOT just a cold.

PLEASE STAY HOME and WASH YOUR HANDS.

I will play devils advocate. Why should someone with expiring points get any longer of an extension on those points other than the actual lose of days due to resort closure?

If points expired March 31st, then I would say they owner get to book with them for 2 weeks after the resorts open, since that was the life left on those points.

This was my hope and exact plan. We were scheduled for March 27th - April 2nd and had been booked since September. I spoke with them last week and was told they weren't exactly sure how things were going to shake out regarding expiring points. I have a March UY and wanted to rebook with 106 points that were due to expire on March 31st. The last several days the DVC website hadn't allowed any booking going forward. I logged on this morning to find my 106 points gone! The other points were distributed to 240 points in UY 2020 and 160 points in UY 2021. I'm not sure why they're like that instead of 200 points in each UY. Anyway, has anyone else had their expiring points disappear today?

No they were 2019 (June UY) points that were being used for a trip the end of March, which was cancelled because they closed the resort.
same June UY had April 3-9th trip booked and now losing points also. But hey Free dining for Resort guests! Sorry DVC!

same June UY had April 3-9th trip booked and now losing points also. But hey Free dining for Resort guests! Sorry DVC!

DVC members can book free dining as a cash stay. Many of the cash guests who lost reservations are finding this deal is costing more because they had tickets from the canceled package, and are being told they have to buy more tickets to get This.

So, this was t meant to be compensate anyone, even cash guests.

This was my hope and exact plan. We were scheduled for March 27th - April 2nd and had been booked since September. I spoke with them last week and was told they weren't exactly sure how things were going to shake out regarding expiring points. I have a March UY and wanted to rebook with 106 points that were due to expire on March 31st. The last several days the DVC website hadn't allowed any booking going forward. I logged on this morning to find my 106 points gone! The other points were distributed to 240 points in UY 2020 and 160 points in UY 2021. I'm not sure why they're like that instead of 200 points in each UY. Anyway, has anyone else had their expiring points disappear today?

I am going to guess they disappeared because that is the system in place. Since no rules have changed, it wouldn’t seem that they would change updating the website to treat it any differently,

However, since they say they are evaluating, if they come up with a plan to allow them to be used later, they know you had the points.

I agree with Sandisw, I think the thing is some members myself included, do not mind that we could lose points during an unprecedented event based on what our contract is, as we agreed to that when we signed on. I would however be upset if they screw all of us to make exceptions from the contract for some. If they can make adjustments that does not adversely affect others, I am fine with that. I am also fine with losing points if it is within the dictates of the contract.

This.

Making exceptions to keep some members happy but inconveniencing all members with availability as a results really seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

We have a 50-pt contract (Feb UY) that we use for an every-three-year trip to HHI. This year was supposed to be our year. We were scheduled to leave in 2 days. Well, I am a front-line healthcare provider and I have been working my full-time shift and special deployments since February, working an average of 70 hours a week to fight this virus, and I knew that this vacation just wasn't going to happen. We were bringing my sister and her family with us for their first visit and we've been planning and saving for this trip for the past 2 years. While we found it a little painful to cancel, we were at peace with the decision because it is the right thing to do at this point. We had no money invested in the vacation and we are just going to try and go next year instead.

Right now, with everything shut down, I have to focus on keeping myself and my family healthy. I work as a paramedic in Michigan and this pandemic is unreal. I have been a Disneyphile my whole life and this has put things in perspective. Disney and DVC used to be something that consumed my life but now, they are merely a tiny distraction. In fact, this is the first time I have been on the DIS in probably 3 weeks. Losing points is disappointing....losing a vacation is sad....but getting sick, dying, watching others die...that is a whole different type of loss....a REAL loss...and one that you don't just bounce back from next year. Yes, I lost my vacation this year and I might lose some points...but right now, I have my health, my family and my LIFE...and I am thankful.

I have a trip with my dad scheduled for the end of October, using our 100-pt AKV contract. We were booked for 5 nights in a value studio and had our arrival night booked at Pop Century. When I cancelled the HHI vacation, I used the 50 banked points and upgraded our fall trip. We used (4) OTU points and made our arrival night reservation in a standard studio at AKV-Jambo, followed by 2 nights in the value studio and then 3 nights in a 1BR at Kidani. Will we be able to take this trip?? Who knows? My concern is not if Disney will be open...my concern is will my Dad still be healthy?? Will *I* still be healthy?? This virus is REAL and it is dangerous...it is NOT just the flu and it is NOT just a cold.

AMEN.

Making exceptions to keep some members happy but inconveniencing all members with availability as a results really seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul.
The problem is this is exactly what they're doing...they made an exception to allow unborrowing of points, which will inconvenience anyone who tries to book once things are up and running. Yes, they're going back to the year they came from and those rooms are available and blah blah blah...but in the DVC banking and borrowing balance, those points being borrowed were likely already offset by points that were banked from the prior year or would be borrowed from the next year. Those points NEEDED to stay borrowed to not throw everything out of balance. Now that those points are put back, the only way to not have an excess of points would be to not allow as much banking and borrowing (within the rules, not exceptions) for a while, which will inconvenience others (maybe not all members but with the 50th coming up, who knows what people's travel plans are).

The problem is this is exactly what they're doing...they made an exception to allow unborrowing of points, which will inconvenience anyone who tries to book once things are up and running. Yes, they're going back to the year they came from and those rooms are available and blah blah blah...but in the DVC banking and borrowing balance, those points being borrowed were likely already offset by points that were banked from the prior year or would be borrowed from the next year. Those points NEEDED to stay borrowed to not throw everything out of balance. Now that those points are put back, the only way to not have an excess of points would be to not allow as much banking and borrowing (within the rules, not exceptions) for a while, which will inconvenience others (maybe not all members but with the 50th coming up, who knows what people's travel plans are).

Exactly which is why I can't see how they can make it worse by allowing past date banking as well.

You are right. If they had left it all the same, then we would have a lot more points now

If I am understanding it correctly, the way it all works is that at no time can the system be overloaded with points,,,as soon as all those rooms were gone, it threw the system out of whack immediately.

Right now, because of the closure, the 2019 UY, between banked, current and borrowed points, has way too many points with the available inventory.

I am just not finding anything that would have allowed them to just do nothing and let it ride vs, acting immediately to fix it,

But, to be fair, I am not done reading my entire POS or all of the Florida Timeshare law.

One thing mentioned that I do agree with is that borrowing should have been temporarily suspended while this is figured out, because if you are moving points back to prevent overflow, then you should also be preventing people from continuing to do it.

Kudos. I've said this until I was blue in the face. Glad at least somebody else gets this.

Again, allowing the borrowers to put back throws imbalance in future bookings. Those points were supposed to be gone from next year. But instead of putting them back in the current year and giving those owners time to make another reservation this year for what may be many months to come in many cases like they should have, they are just arbitrarily throwing them back into next year as a gift. Here I am with current UY points used to make a reservation that will be killed through no fault of my own, and my points die in 60 days and you essentially tell me, "Too bad. Those are the rules." What about the borrowing rules?

Others: Please don't bother with another, "They're working on it." I know that. Supposedly. At this point, "working on it" and $7 will get me a cup of coffee at Kona Cafe. Then I can cry in my coffee over my 181 points I'm losing that are essentially priceless to me. Oh wait. Never mind. It's not open.

I just want to thank you for your service to this country and its people. God bless you.

This.

I can see both sides of this. Personally, I understand Disney didn't have to make an exception on borrowing. They didn't have to make an exception on tickets but they did and it is appreciated. The banking rules are 100% intentional as the amount of noise is so small that it's not currently worth upsetting the system.

If we look at UY, there's only 8. (February, March, April, June, August, September, October and December) and as a result only a couple of possible scenarios.
  1. Anyone with a UY September on (arguably August as well) would be a non-factor as any cancellations would have still allowed them to bank into next year.
  2. Anyone with a Feb & March UY would already be in their new year and able to bank.
That means it only burns those with an April and June UY. (raises hand, June UY here). But then it gets even smaller. Because it's April and June UY who didn't borrow points. Mine as an example, 65% of the points I'm using for my trip is borrowed and can be returned.

So it's a subset of a subset of people who will actually lose points. It's small and easy to say - well tough. Especially from the outside looking in. From a business perspective, I say yes it's acceptable. It's acceptable to have that small amount of people upset. Any "loss" due to being upset at this is coverable at this point and won't damage the business long term.

On the flip side..is it the Disney way though? I've seen threads of people complaining about the lack of coffee refills. Claims of selling their DVC because the room wasn't available until an hour after check in. Are either of those worse than watching your vacation disappear into thin air? If the number of affected is so small, how badly would it upset the system long term if an exception was made? You lost your vacation, you paid this year's dues, and for this year you have nothing to show for it. It's understandably upsetting and it would be a perfect time for uplifting pixie dust.

The to be evaluated part is tough for Disney. They're watching to see if the population of affected is going to grow. If more noise will come out of this. And it may as more people are affected. It's easy to say tough when you're on the outside, but once it affects you, the perspective begins to change. Unfortunately, as the noise grows; so will the future impact. It's definitely a tough one that they will have to navigate .

But what about people with other UYs that banked points and now they can't use them before they expire? You can say that people with August UY could have cancelled and banked 2019 points into 2020, but if they were using banked 2018 points, they would expire on 7/31/20. Even if the parks are open before then, if their reservation was during the period of closure, there's no guarantee that they can reschedule before the points expire. The unborrowing of points will also make it more difficult to book once the resorts open again. The longer this goes, the more potential impact. I'm really curious how many points fall into all of these buckets but unfortunately, only DVCM has this information.

You are so right. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Thank you for what you do for your community. Hopefully this will all be over sooner rather than later and you will take your trip with your Dad and other family members. I know this is off topic but your perspective was needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter