Have any other DVC owners lost their points because of Disney's closures?

Disney is taking record losses at this moment, why does it seem like a time to ask for them to keep everyone else 'whole'?
So - what if Disney takes federal money? IMO if they take tax dollars then they need to be more cooperative.
Same for the Air Lines.
Overall - the way Disney has handled just about everything around the current situation has been poor.

I didn't read the whole thread. Does anyone know what other timeshare are doing?

DIS has buildings worth of Finding Nemo suites they could book instead of screwing over owners who are losing points. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

Honestly, this isn't the reaction I expected from Disney.
DVC does not own AoA, nor any other Disney hotel. DVC cannot just book hotel rooms without paying for them. Payment comes in the form of trading DVC villas to Disney CRO for the purpose of booking those villas for cash reservations. Any solution that addresses the points lost by owners who booked late March, April and perhaps even later will have to have a minimal impact on all owners. Taking villas out of inventory to pay for hotel rooms does not solve the problem.

DVC does not own AoA, nor any other Disney hotel.
However, they are all part of the same corporation, and they certainly could work out the internal accounting.

If (and it is a important if), there are going to be a lot of vacant Disney owned hotel rooms, the marginal cost to Disney Corporation to fill those otherwise empty rooms with DVC members who had points expire is very low. Especially since DVC members get very limited housekeeping.

The amount the members would spend on all non-room Disney expenditures would probably be more than the marginal cost of "giving away" the hotel room, so on net Disney Corporation would come out ahead financially. However, if those rooms would have been occupied by cash paying guests, it would not make financial sense for Disney Corporation to give them to DVC members who had points expire.
It would also not make sense if Disney wants to limit attendance when they re-open.

That may be what Disney is evaluating now, and what they decide to do, if anything, with regard to expired points will depend on how many points expire and the projected occupancy of the Disney owned hotels once they re-open.

Last edited:

So - what if Disney takes federal money? IMO if they take tax dollars then they need to be more cooperative.
Same for the Air Lines.
Overall - the way Disney has handled just about everything around the current situation has been poor.
The air lines are making whole customers who purchased airline tickets. The airlines stock holders are not whole, they have taken a beating. Disney has made whole those who rented rooms, nobody is paying the rental fee for a hotel room and being told they can't stay there. You aren't 'renting from DVC', you are an owner, and likely far better off than those who own the airlines. I say this as someone who loses 65 points if this last until end of August. I hope that doesn't happen but that's life if it does. I read 'no fault of our own', true, but everything being closed isn't Disney's fault either.

However, they are all part of the same corporation, and they certainly could work out the internal accounting.

If (and it is a important if), there are going to be a lot of vacant Disney owned hotel rooms, the marginal cost to Disney Corporation to fill those otherwise empty rooms with DVC members who had points expire is very low. Especially since DVC members get very limited housekeeping.

The amount the members would spend on all non-room Disney expenditures would probably be more than the marginal cost of "giving away" the hotel room, so on net Disney Corporation would come out ahead. However, if those rooms would have been occupied by cash paying guests, it would not make financial sense for Disney Corporation to give them to DVC members who had points expire.
It would also not make sense if Disney wants to limit attendance when they re-open.

That may be what Disney is evaluating now, and what they decide to do, if anything, with regard to expired points will depend on how may points expire and the projected occupancy of the Disney owned hotels once they re-open.
This!

Yes Disney treats DVC as it's own company but ultimately it's all under the same leadership. DVC/DVD is constrained in what they can do with respect to timeshare law, but there is absolutely nothing preventing them from a make-good internally. Whether they SHOULD is a different question, but certainly they COULD.

This!

Yes Disney treats DVC as it's own company but ultimately it's all under the same leadership. DVC/DVD is constrained in what they can do with respect to timeshare law, but there is absolutely nothing preventing them from a make-good internally. Whether they SHOULD is a different question, but certainly they COULD.

The only limit that DVCM is faced with is that in order to involve Disney...those other divisions...they have to get them to reach a deal with DvCM.

For all we know, they are trying to negotiate with the other divisions to pick up some of it to help owners. Its just that if parks and resorts says no, we, as owners, and DVCM, have no way to force them to, That is what makes it such a complicated situation.

It's actually pretty complex within a company the size of Disney under accounting rules for publicly traded companies. This isn't you Venmoing someone for your share of drinks.
Christine M. McCarthy Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer for The Walt Disney Company, had total compensation in 2019 of $14,974,155 (per the proxy statement filed with the SEC) I would think that indicates she is probably pretty good at her job and could work through the complexities.
Especially if it would good for the corporate bottom line under the scenario I described in my post.

Last edited:
The air lines are making whole customers who purchased airline tickets. The airlines stock holders are not whole, they have taken a beating. Disney has made whole those who rented rooms, nobody is paying the rental fee for a hotel room and being told they can't stay there. You aren't 'renting from DVC', you are an owner, and likely far better off than those who own the airlines. I say this as someone who loses 65 points if this last until end of August. I hope that doesn't happen but that's life if it does. I read 'no fault of our own', true, but everything being closed isn't Disney's fault either.
In most cases your right - but not in all. There are still some airlines flying empty planes and not canceling flights so that you cant get a refund. Public pressure might change that - but I can tell you right now its happening.
Lots of mortgage companies wont be paid, lots of land lords wont be paid.
In some ways many things are on pause owner or not.
Hopefully when thing go back to "normal" Disney will have come up with solution that is fair all around.
I'm sure they know if they dont people considering time shares will think about this when purchasing.
I don't expect Disney eat the loss - but if they take tax dollars I expect a bit of fairness

That may be what Disney is evaluating now, and what they decide to do, if anything, with regard to expired points will depend on how may points expire and the projected occupancy of the Disney owned hotels once they re-open.
I agree - I don't think we can expect any resolution to this question until DVC can know how many points are affected and what the alternatives are. The option to use points for non-DVC resorts sounds reasonable and attractive to me but may or may not be feasible for Disney. I think Disney might also or instead release more of their own points to owners instead of putting them up for cash reservations - again, that sounds reasonable and attractive to me, but I can't speak for Disney.

If I felt DVC was taking advantage of me as a member during this crisis I might be upset but I don't and honestly I feel that for many of us this is the closest we hopefully will ever get to experiencing a war. These are extraordinary times that call for extraordinary measures. There was no handbook, no guidelines on how to handle this. I have relatives that have the virus and if I loose all my points for this year, I honestly don't care.

If I felt DVC was taking advantage of me as a member during this crisis I might be upset but I don't and honestly I feel that for many of us this is the closest we hopefully will ever get to experiencing a war. These are extraordinary times that call for extraordinary measures. There was no handbook, no guidelines on how to handle this. I have relatives that have the virus and if I loose all my points for this year, I honestly don't care.
Sending thoughts your way. I hope your relatives make a full recovery.

That's a blast from the past! I saw an old DISer there I have not seen in forever.
I assume you are talking about @Dean I miss him. I made a comment a few years ago that Dean's posts were like the roles that Morgan Freeman plays in most of his movies. After all the viewers are totally confused and lost, Morgan Freeman's character comes in and explains it.

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about @Dean I miss him. I made a comment a few years ago that Dean's posts were like the roles that Morgan Freeman plays in most of his movies. After all the viewers are totally confused and lost, Morgan Freeman's character comes in and explains it.
btw why did he stop posting here?

He does the same on TUG, and I really enjoy reading his posts there as I did here.
btw why did he stop posting here?
Yeah, I wonder too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter