• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have any other DVC owners lost their points because of Disney's closures?

We have a 150 AKV contract JuneUY. We banked the 2018, so that we could use them with 2019 points. We are booked first week of June. I am just hoping, they will extend the amount of time that they are closed onto when we can use our points.( If they open by June 1 I doubt we would go though as my son is immune compromised.) I haven't banked the 2019 as we were to use them on this reservation, so we will lose 300 points ( 2018 and 2019.) I also bought from another member transfer points since we were short by 90 points. I believe those expire in August. Considering everything going on in the world right now our 390 point loss won't be the end of the world. However we are hoping and optimistic that DVC might take care of it's members in some way. Good luck to everyone, stay healthy.

We have a 150 AKV contract JuneUY. We banked the 2018, so that we could use them with 2019 points. We are booked first week of June. I am just hoping, they will extend the amount of time that they are closed onto when we can use our points.( If they open by June 1 I doubt we would go though as my son is immune compromised.) I haven't banked the 2019 as we were to use them on this reservation, so we will lose 300 points ( 2018 and 2019.) I also bought from another member transfer points since we were short by 90 points. I believe those expire in August. Considering everything going on in the world right now our 390 point loss won't be the end of the world. However we are hoping and optimistic that DVC might take care of it's members in some way. Good luck to everyone, stay healthy.

I'm confused. June UY expires the end of May. How were you able to use 2018 and 2019 points for a June reservation?

There is a lot of gray to be resolved. I expect my 2 week trip in May to be canceled. My UY is August 1 and I do not expect it will be possible to plan another trip to use 350 points in the two hot summer crowded months left. My points will also be 40% less effective in those months in days I can book. So I will probably have to lose my points - will DVC say too bad, you could have booked again but didn't? If inventory has no 2 week block available will I qualify as "lost the points"?

What I would like to see is an offer to provide a serious discount on something related based on the # of points of the lost vacation. Put it against AP purchases, or a dining plan (on DVC points not a cash package purchase as they are offering now.) Or a discount against a different resort room only vacation for those of us who don't want a dining plan.

There is a lot of gray to be resolved. I expect my 2 week trip in May to be canceled. My UY is August 1 and I do not expect it will be possible to plan another trip to use 350 points in the two hot summer crowded months left. My points will also be 40% less effective in those months in days I can book. So I will probably have to lose my points - will DVC say too bad, you could have booked again but didn't? If inventory has no 2 week block available will I qualify as "lost the points"?

What I would like to see is an offer to provide a serious discount on something related based on the # of points of the lost vacation. Put it against AP purchases, or a dining plan (on DVC points not a cash package purchase as they are offering now.) Or a discount against a different resort room only vacation for those of us who don't want a dining plan.
I just finished talking to DVC about my vacation that was cancelled for March 28th - April 2nd. This conversation was far less positive sounding than last weeks. She stated that they have no current plans to change for anyone that loses expiring points because of closure. So unless they have a lot of cancellations (soon) for the summer, it seems like I'm about to be lose 346 points that expired on March 31st. 146 - 2018 points and 200 - 2019 points. I didn't bank the 2019 points because that were already reserved for my booked trip.

After reading some of the comments on this board, I felt that Disney was going to work with us DVC members and help us with different options. After today's phone call, unless something drastic changes, there is not going to be any gray area and a lot of us are going to lose a lot of points.

Unfortunately, it has been changing on a daily bases. But I think that they need to come up with a better plan than "To Bad" your out of your points. Some people have paid a lot of dues for multiple years of points and now can't use them. If it were me, I might pull the "let me talk to your supervisor" on a phone call.

I'm confused. June UY expires the end of May. How were you able to use 2018 and 2019 points for a June reservation?
We currently have reservations using part of the points the last few days of May then going into the first week of June. I had to call MS to make my reservation because my transferred points that I bought did not show up for me to do it online. My 2018 points went for the first part of the trip, then the 2019 points and the transfer points took care of the trip through the first week of June. I personally doubt they will be open before the June 1 date, but even if they do I don't think we will go. I have not cancelled, maybe it is way too optimistic of me, but hoping that if Disney cancels the end of May reservations then maybe they will extend out the points by the number of days they are closed. Then at least maybe a family member can use them.

We're losing 22 pts from 2018 that we'd banked. We had a vacation planned for June, but canceled it, and banked all 2019 points on the 31st, because we have an August use year, and we just felt there was too much uncertainty.

I was staying at Grand Californian when they decided to shut everything down. This resulted in me having to Check out 4 days early & I was assured they would return my points for the nights I wasn't there. Turns out they filled out & submitted the paperwork but shorted me by 30 of the 110 points that should have been returned. Member services says they can't do anything until the resort opens & they can actually speak with the person who filled out the paperwork even though they know I did not get back the correct number of points. Since I have an August use year & some of the points were banked I need them back so I can try to make another reservation prior to them expiring at the end of July. Right now I'm stuck in Limbo.

Kudos. I've said this until I was blue in the face. Glad at least somebody else gets this.

Again, allowing the borrowers to put back throws imbalance in future bookings. Those points were supposed to be gone from next year. But instead of putting them back in the current year and giving those owners time to make another reservation this year for what may be many months to come in many cases like they should have, they are just arbitrarily throwing them back into next year as a gift. Here I am with current UY points used to make a reservation that will be killed through no fault of my own, and my points die in 60 days and you essentially tell me, "Too bad. Those are the rules." What about the borrowing rules?

Others: Please don't bother with another, "They're working on it." I know that. Supposedly. At this point, "working on it" and $7 will get me a cup of coffee at Kona Cafe. Then I can cry in my coffee over my 181 points I'm losing that are essentially priceless to me. Oh wait. Never mind. It's not open.

Oh I completely agree. Once you make exceptions to rules it is a snowball effect that is only going to get worse the longer this goes on. They thought they were doing the right thing and (yes this is unprecedented) but they did not make a good management decision.

Shouldn’t Disney just pay you a certain $ amount per point that you lost by no fault of your own? Wouldn’t that essential resolve all this? (... trust me, I understand why Disney wouldn’t want to pay out that money...)

Shouldn’t Disney just pay you a certain $ amount per point that you lost by no fault of your own? Wouldn’t that essential resolve all this? (... trust me, I understand why Disney wouldn’t want to pay out that money...)
Disney is taking record losses at this moment, why does it seem like a time to ask for them to keep everyone else 'whole'? If you own a vacation home that you intend to use a few times per year and because a natural disaster /storm it is damaged and you can't use it, you stay home. It sucks. This isn't 'blaming' the people who banked points or didn't schedule it early in their UY. Banking is a reasonable thing to do, especially to get larger accommodations. If someones engine dies on the way to their way to Disney, Disney doesn't pay for that either.

Last edited:
Oh I completely agree. Once you make exceptions to rules it is a snowball effect that is only going to get worse the longer this goes on. They thought they were doing the right thing and (yes this is unprecedented) but they did not make a good management decision.
Yep. DVC's clear message is "Borrow, don't bank". Sucks that my points are on the chopping block this year and I get to deal with a glut of points in the system next year. Bankers and getting screwed twice.

Disney is taking record losses at this moment, why does it seem like a time to ask for them to keep everyone else 'whole'? If you own a vacation home that you intend to use a few times per year and because a natural disaster /storm it is damaged and you can't use it, you stay home. It sucks. This isn't 'blaming' the people who banked points or didn't schedule it early in their UY. Banking is a reasonable thing to do, especially to get larger accommodations. If someones engine dies on the way to their way to Disney, Disney doesn't pay for that either.
Thanks. My initial post said I understand why Disney wouldn’t do this. My only “point” was that it would likely solve many of these problems.

This is crazy. Of course Disney needs to do something for owners whose points have expired during closure. It’s an extraordinary situation, and you can’t just not gave a product available and then tell people too bad. It can’t be that extensive of a problem. If we do this for two full months, that’s a finite number of reservations, of which likely 20% of them result in expired points. It’s certainly fixable and even if the fix is to give back those points, I don’t think it’ll throw the system into the haywire you are describing.

This is crazy. Of course Disney needs to do something for owners whose points have expired during closure. It’s an extraordinary situation, and you can’t just not gave a product available and then tell people too bad. It can’t be that extensive of a problem. If we do this for two full months, that’s a finite number of reservations, of which likely 20% of them result in expired points. It’s certainly fixable and even if the fix is to give back those points, I don’t think it’ll throw the system into the haywire you are describing.
Timeshare laws were set up to allow companies to take all the profits up front and have no responsibility/liability after that. I think this may be revisited after this.

Timeshare laws were set up to allow companies to take all the profits up front and have no responsibility/liability after that. I think this may be revisited after this.

That’s a very good point Given this situation, you wonder if the state will do some changes that would tip the balance.

That’s a very good point Given this situation, you wonder if the state will do some changes that would tip the balance.
They have an exceptional strong lobby so I am not optimistic.

DIS has buildings worth of Finding Nemo suites they could book instead of screwing over owners who are losing points. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

Honestly, this isn't the reaction I expected from Disney.

Doubt it. States have a lot more higher priority problems to worry about. This one probably doesn't even make the list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter