• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How good/bad a job has your state done at flattening the curve?

Not accurate . . . here’s some of the restrictions you failed to mention.
There are bans on recreational and entertainment businesses, requirements that all restaurants operate by delivery and takeout only, and the directive that all pre-K, elementary, and secondary schools close and all institutions of higher education cease in-person instruction.
Also prohibited are large gatherings such as parties, celebrations, or other social events, unless otherwise authorized by the Order.
When in public, individuals must practice social distancing and stay at least six feet apart whenever possible, excluding immediate family members, caretakers, household members, or romantic partners.
This list isn’t exhaustive as I’m too exhausted to summarize the governor’s several Executive Orders.

yes but what I meant it’s mainly for non Essential retail. Everyone knows schools are off. Myself I have to work and my son have to work if it was another state we will be off work. New JErsey is not strict like other states.

yes but what I meant it’s mainly for non Essential retail. Everyone knows schools are off. Myself I have to work and my son have to work if it was another state we will be off work. New JErsey is not strict like other states.

Everything is closed around me. They are taking the non essential part serious. Traffic is very light. There are barely any cars on the road. It's a ghost town where I live.

I do see people on my social media visiting friends and having game nights and calling it "quarantined." Ummmm it's not a quarantine if you have people over every Friday and Saturday. LOL

Also it was a beautiful day Friday and the local parks were packed. They have since closed all parks in my area.

The cases in WI are directly in proportion to our states highest population areas. In the lower right corner of the state is Milwaukee county. They have 673 or the 1312 confirmed cases. And bottom center is our state capital Madison (Dane county), with the second highest at 192.
The north side of Milwaukee is seeing a continued escalation of cases. The mayor is trying to get those communities more resources, so they can better treat the affected.
map4.png
My brother lives in Milwaukee and my SIL had a coworker who was presumptive positive. She came to work per her boss (dental office) for almost a week! Positive for the virus! My SIL (directly exposed) is still working in the same office- not quarantined at all! Here in NC all dentists are closed except for emergencies- I’d say y’all are in for it. Doesn’t seem like anyone up there gives a flying flip.

My brother lives in Milwaukee and my SIL had a coworker who was presumptive positive. She came to work per her boss (dental office) for almost a week! Positive for the virus! My SIL (directly exposed) is still working in the same office- not quarantined at all! Here in NC all dentists are closed except for emergencies- I’d say y’all are in for it. Doesn’t seem like anyone up there gives a flying flip.

Slow Your Roll and Stay in your Lane!!!!!!! Don't judge an entire state on one story you heard about :mad:

I don't know anything about the particular situation you are referencing,

BUT my dentist office has been closed for weeks. I had an appt and it was cancelled. DD's dentist called her off as well! And the pediatric dental clinic DD volunteers for is shut as well!

AND my neighbor across the street owns a dental practice. They are closed too!

It is still too soon to tell due to the lack of testing and long incubation period for this virus.

That said, the Bay area in CA was the first to enact policies to shelter people at home to attempt to flatten the curve and early reports appear to be optimistic: https://www.politico.com/states/cal...rve-after-2-weeks-of-social-isolation-1269663

Edited to add an excerpt from another article I found: https://www.edinburgreview.com/zz/n...obe-heres-what-clues-theyre-giving-scientists

Shelter in place working in California

Chiu’s analysis shows California’s strict shelter in place efforts appear to be working.

Over half of the 50 SARS-CoV-2 virus genomes his San Francisco-based lab sequenced in the past two weeks are associated with travel from outside the state. Another 30% are associated with health care workers and families of people who have the virus.

“Only 20% are coming from within the community. It’s not circulating widely,” he said.

That’s fantastic news, he said, indicating the virus has not been able to gain a serious foothold because of social distancing.

It’s like a wildfire, Chiu said. A few sparks might fly off the fire and land in the grass and start new fires. But if the main fire is doused and its embers stomped out, you can kill off an entire strain. In California, Chiu sees a lot of sparks hitting the ground, most coming from Washington, but they’re quickly being put out.

Last edited:
I am also in the Milwaukee area and I second what J’aime Paris said. That’s unfortunate what’s going on with that office but it says nothing about the state as a whole. Thank you for your wonderful judgment. 🙄

I live in Northern NJ and things are honestly scary up here. There has been a significant cut in the amount of people out in public, and a rise in people working remote.

There has also been massive layoffs. I know multiple people close to me who have lost their job.

To the other New Jerseyian in this thread, I'm sorry that your employer is still having you come in, but your job must be important. Manufacturing is the back bone of society & the economy. Things are hard right now, but unfortunately society as a whole is unable to stop fully. Since people like you aren't able to step away from their jobs, the rest of us need to do the right thing and STAY HOME.

I posted this gif in another thread, but it's important to share again to prove the importance of social distancing if possible.
https://thespinoff.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Covid-19-Transmission-graphic-01.gif

Every dentist in my area of WI is closed. And LOL at you thinking we're "in for it".

I am in NZ. We have been in almost total lockdown for 6 days now, meant to be for 4 weeks, but rumored to be anything from 6-12 in reality. Then we will expect our borders to remain closed u til at least Christmas.
As it stands airlines are grounded until June 30th minimum.

I think our Goverment has done a good job, been very proactive. I am confident that we will be able to eliminate it here.

I don't think any state has come close to flattening the curve yet.

I don't think any state has actually seen the worst of the curve yet.

Looking at New York, I'll get all salty and snarky when my state (FL) meets its test and masters it. Until then, I realize that NY is doing the best they can with a crisis nobody has the playbook for.

I wish them well.

I also wish Iowa and the other 48 states well.

We're all in this together.

...Right?

No, but those countries that got it later (NZ, USA, Australia, UK) all had a better chance by listening to countries like Italy who were shouting at the top of their lungs what not to do.

I can go to the beach to fish and exercise lol.

Jealous!

I can't say, because I don't know what our case count would be otherwise. But we've gone from 63 cases on March 15th to 4,843 cases on March 30th

We went from 1 case on Feb 27th to 708 today. Although most of those are Kiwis returning from overseas.

Those curves look really optimistic.

Flattening the curve spreads the deaths out over a longer period of time. Once the stay at home orders are lifted and restaurants open back up, this virus is going to start spreading again. It feels like we're going to have at least two waves.

Last edited:
Tennessee is not doing a great job.
TN- I will say a lousy job.

Perhaps people are staying indoors in rural areas, but not in the city where we live. People in Memphis don’t take it seriously.

Newscasts are panning crowded parks. Parking lots and stores are full, not with just individuals but entire families. There’s no enforcement of the Safer at Home order that the governor and local mayors have agreed upon. Without enforcement nothing will happen.
I think TN as a state isn't treating it as seriously as it needs to be. Some local governments have taken a tougher stance.

With that said, though, every time I look at the data, it appears that our hospitalization rate is under 10% and our fatality rate is under 1% -- I'm pretty sure that's better than a lot of other states even with less cases than us.

I agree. I don’t think TN is doing a very good job.

A group of medical professionals have sent a letter to the governor asking for a shelter-in-place order, but, so far, there is resistance to their request.

Everything is being suggested, & nothing is being enforced.

The stay-at-home orders have been “strongly urged” but will not be enforced because of civil liberties, & churches are specifically not included in any of the orders. It is assumed that people will do the right thing & stay home.

Well, they’re not.

You can’t rely on everyone to do the right thing, &, as much as we appreciate & are grateful for our civil liberties, obviously there are some who can’t handle it.

Supposedly, all non-essential businesses are supposed to be closed. Today, DH & I went out to pick up a produce order. I saw 2 different florists, 1 monogram & printing shop, 1 stand-alone shoe & outdoors shop, & 1 vaping store flashing their “open” signs - and that was just after I started looking & just the ones I noticed.

While I feel for small businesses, I also don’t think it’s fair to the ones who have closed for other small businesses to remain open w/ no penalties.

Our numbers continue to go up & up.

I guess we’re waiting until we’re a hot spot before we take any real initiative.

I think TN as a state isn't treating it as seriously as it needs to be. Some local governments have taken a tougher stance.

With that said, though, every time I look at the data, it appears that our hospitalization rate is under 10% and our fatality rate is under 1% -- I'm pretty sure that's better than a lot of other states even with less cases than us.

Two Saturdays ago DH and I were talking about how quickly Memphis was approaching 100 cases (was around 80). As of this morning (roughly 10 days later) we’re at 428 cases.

When this was first posted on Monday, I looked at the site and it said "May 11" for the peak. Yesterday it was May 14. This morning it's May 16.

I'm assuming their math is right, I'm just pointing out the changing target.

The other thing I noticed is while yes, our curve is greatly flattened (if it's correct we won't be out of beds, ICU or otherwise at the peak), it has us dealing with this until July. NY on the other hand, while it will require more beds than available, would be done the beginning of May.

So, would some states be "free and clear" and able to go about their business while others remain in some kind of lock down for additional months? Would people from the "free and clear" states be allowed to enter those still in lock down?

And no, I'm not advocating for "ripping the band aid off". I'm asking questions.

When this was first posted on Monday, I looked at the site and it said "May 11" for the peak. Yesterday it was May 14. This morning it's May 16.

The other thing I noticed is while yes, our curve is greatly flattened (if it's correct we won't be out of beds, ICU or otherwise at the peak), it has us dealing with this until July. NY on the other hand, while it will require more beds than available, would be done the beginning of May.

So, would some states be "free and clear" and able to go about their business while others remain in some kind of lock down for additional months? Would people from the "free and clear" states be allowed to enter those still in lock down?

And no, I'm not advocating for "ripping the band aid off". I'm asking questions.
The dates haven't changed for my state for a while but they have for my neighboring state. I've also seen different sources have different dates. The peak dates for my state have roughly stayed the same (late April; early early on it was a range of mid-late April) while my neighboring state it was like May 10th, then mid-May and now towards Memorial Day depending on the source.

I also noticed when I first looked it said my state would have like a small number of ICU beds shortage but now it says no shortage. I've been wondering what changed? I know they announced that the local Community College loaned nine ventilators to one of the main Health systems here (connected to my alma mater) as well as unused lab supplies (which are ventilator circuits, bacteria filters, wipes and spray, face shields, N-95 masks, isolation gowns, safety goggles, medical gloves and hand sanitizer) so maybe that's being caught? I mean that's only for my metro not the whole state that they are loaning the stuff to though.

As far as movement that's a good question. What do you do for people like me that live in a metro straddled between 2 states. Movement occurs between the two states all the time (for work, family, necessities, etc). A prohibition here IMO would be a total waste of resources and virtually impossible to implement so I'm inclined to believe a more conservative approach here would be done where the metro's decisions regarding reopening of things is worked together. Right now they have the Core 4 which includes 2 counties on my side of the state line, 1 county on the other side of the state line and the largest city of the metro on the other side of the state line that are working together but that still leaves many counties not included in that Core.

Less than 20 thousand people have been tested in my state. There is no way their numbers are accurate for it. They're at best guessing based on NY and NJ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter