I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We head down to Orlando in 2 days. It will just be a pool trip but we had highs in the 20's lately and any escape feels good. Then, a couple days ago @SouthFayetteFan mentioned something about winter SW flights and there I was looking again... I booked some flights with the idea of making changes. Last night I made my first change and then I got an email that SW changed my homebound flight which allowed me to "fix" our flight home. I now have flights and am homeless. Time to start setting my alarm for 0330 again to find those sweet timeshare trades.
It’s definitely warmer than 20 here lol. It’s been really hot and humid this week but next week we start to cool down

Received an email that Hilton is extending points expiration through 12/31/21 and staGus through Match 2021. Good news.
I got that too. I have a ton of Hilton points. I also have the fee free cards so it's easy to extend them, but still, good news.

What I have asked before and am still wondering, for all these extension, Hilton/Marriot, do we then need a qualifying activity right before the new end date to start the clock ticking again and not lose them?

Good thing I periodically check our SW flights. Was checking them mainly to see if any points values had gone down and I notice that our flight from MSP to Orlando in March (for a cruise) is not even listed anymore. I go to my account and they have us flying into Chicago from MSP leaving at 8:45 am but then the flight from Chicago to Orlando leaves at 8:40 am. Not sure how that works. So, I called SW and was able to switch to an even better flight. Original flight left at 5:45 am but this one leaves at 10:00 and is now Non Stop... we rarely get Non Stop flight with SW. Hope they don't change this one.

I keep thinking I'm going to dip my toes in bank bonus, but for some reason I always talk myself out of it. For those bank bonus pros, how difficult is it to keep track of everything? Any tips, spreadsheets you can share.

I keep thinking I'm going to dip my toes in bank bonus, but for some reason I always talk myself out of it. For those bank bonus pros, how difficult is it to keep track of everything? Any tips, spreadsheets you can share.
I have done many, and you definitely want to be organized and pay attention to requirements, dates, and possible fees. I keep a simple spreadsheet to maintain the info, and I always keep a screenshot of the offer with the details. I once had to fight for one bonus that didn't post, so it's good to have proof of the offer. DoC's posts about bonuses will have the main details. I also read the weekly bank bonus thread on reddit. The other thing to consider is how long you're willing to tie up your money. Some banks require that you keep your funds deposited for a certain time period. Having multiple bank accounts, and meeting bonus requirements, is definitely more work than just having one account. But, the same could be said about credit cards. :)

I got that too. I have a ton of Hilton points. I also have the fee free cards so it's easy to extend them, but still, good news.

What I have asked before and am still wondering, for all these extension, Hilton/Marriot, do we then need a qualifying activity right before the new end date to start the clock ticking again and not lose them?
I have a ton of points saved for Hawaii that won’t be happening for at least a year. I also dropped my only Hilton card so no easy way for me to extend. This really works out for me. Not sure I can get the free card as I am in Amex Pop up jail.

Dont know the answer to your question. I think the safest thing is what you describe.

I have a question regarding cell phone protection...anyone have experience with this? If I pay the monthly bill on my cc that has the protection ,but it actually belongs to my ds (hewill pay me back on the side) does that provide coverage if he drops it etc? (phone is paid in full,he uses a prepaid monthly plan)

I believe it covers any phone under your cell phone bill. I made a claim in June on my phone. I had to show proof I paid my bill with that card. That was it.

Received an email that Hilton is extending points expiration through 12/31/21 and staGus through Match 2021. Good news.
My email said status is extended until March 2022! I had Diamond thanks to the Aspire I had but cancelled in Feb. Thanks to Rona it keeps getting extended :)

Also to whoever was asking on the phone. You can go and get a quote, and send it in and see if they'll cover it. Or you can just do the repair and file and hope. My phone the screen 100% stopped responding. So I couldn't wait for the quote to be approved or not. I knew I needed to get it fixed 100%. So I just did the repair and paid for it. Then MC sent me a check minus the deductible (I think $50).

Speaking of phones, have y'all seen? ATT is offering up to $800 for new phones. No new line needed! I was going to do the loyal offer, and try selling our phones, but this is much better! DD's 8Plus is dying. So she's getting one for sure. I need to decide if my nearly brand new XS needs the upgrade. The camera on the 12pro is awesome. And I feel like even though the phone is 100% new, it would be good to trade it in. I wonder if I could try trading in my son's iphone 8 instead and give him my XS. I guess a trip to ATT is in my future, LOL.

Okay and now my update, LOL. The BF and I went to Myrtle this weekend. At dinner on Tuesday night I managed to discover that I had booked the wrong return flight home! I booked my bday (yesterday, 10/27) vs Saturday (10/24). He checked and there were seats available, but he didn't want me getting stuck, so I was able to buy a new 1 way ticket for $47. I cancelled my return flight for 10/27 and Spirit gave me a $25 credit. So wasn't too bad.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on the beach one night (Thursday). I got the room for $79. I booked a 2 queen, no view. I was hoping my diamond status would get us an upgrade. Then I read in the small print that Hampton Inn's don't do diamond upgrades! :guilty::guilty::guilty: I was able to check in via the app at midnight....they had given me a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom oceanfront double balcony room! I was sooo happy! And sooooo sad we only did one night there! The second night I wanted to take advantage of the IHG offer of 15k bonus points for a stay. So we moved to the staybridge suites. Let's just say, we are happy we took advantage of the Hampton's amenities before we left, LOL. But the BF was open to staying anywhere.

I will say, it was interesting flying with a pilot. He has to wear his ID, so as he slept, the FAs must have asked me 100 times if I wanted/need anything. I won't lie, I could get used to that, LOL....even if it was only on Spirit. And while the BF had me buy my ticket, when we got back, he was telling my 15yo he'd be happy to use his passes for her to fly to TX to visit her BFFs and other family. But this MI weather has me ready to take another trip ASAP! He's been off this month, it'll be interesting to see how holiday travel is.

In card news, I have my Barclay BizAviator and got about $500 of the $1k spend going. And I just ordered a card for DD to get the extra 15k miles. I'm still VERY torn on whether to get the IHG free card offer, or the Bonvoy. I don't have any FNC plans/uses. But I guess it could come in handy on quick trips with the BF. Does anyone know, can you use the Bonvoy FNC very short notice? That might actually make the most sense/best use I guess. If I can use them on quick last minute trips with him. Otherwise, I use IHG when I hit the beach in NC w/ the kids, so adding in 100k more would be very nice for 2021 summer.

I few weeks ago, I was asking about Chase offers disappearing from my CSR login and app. Well, I found that if you click through a Chase link in the offer emails, you can see your offers and activate them. Even old email links work. I've got the CFA one! I still can't see them on my account no matter what I do but they exist somewhere and they work.

Does anyone know, can you use the Bonvoy FNC very short notice? That might actually make the most sense/best use I guess. If I can use them on quick last minute trips with him. Otherwise, I use IHG when I hit the beach in NC w/ the kids, so adding in 100k more would be very nice for 2021 summer.
As long as the night is available on points then you will be able to use a FNC at the hotel. Generally for the more popular hotels the rooms on points go fairly quickly -- several months in advance (think a ski destination in the winter). However I was able to book the Westin Lima just 6 weeks from our stay. It varies drastically by the location you want to stay at.

As long as the night is available on points then you will be able to use a FNC at the hotel. Generally for the more popular hotels the rooms on points go fairly quickly -- several months in advance (think a ski destination in the winter). However I was able to book the Westin Lima just 6 weeks from our stay. It varies drastically by the location you want to stay at.

I figured that likely would be the case. I know with the IHG free nights, you can book online. But the Hilton you have to call. Obviously calling isn't a big deal, but not as easy as just doing something online, LOL.

I have done many, and you definitely want to be organized and pay attention to requirements, dates, and possible fees. I keep a simple spreadsheet to maintain the info, and I always keep a screenshot of the offer with the details. I once had to fight for one bonus that didn't post, so it's good to have proof of the offer. DoC's posts about bonuses will have the main details. I also read the weekly bank bonus thread on reddit. The other thing to consider is how long you're willing to tie up your money. Some banks require that you keep your funds deposited for a certain time period. Having multiple bank accounts, and meeting bonus requirements, is definitely more work than just having one account. But, the same could be said about credit cards. :)
Would you be willing to share the spreadsheet or just the info you track... I think I’m going to start with Bank of the West.

Does anyone know, can you use the Bonvoy FNC very short notice? That might actually make the most sense/best use I guess. If I can use them on quick last minute trips with him.
I don't remember if you already have Hilton, but I have read here that ALL Hilton rooms are available on points. If it's available for cash then it's available with points.

I have a ton of points saved for Hawaii that won’t be happening for at least a year. I also dropped my only Hilton card so no easy way for me to extend. This really works out for me. Not sure I can get the free card as I am in Amex Pop up jail.

Dont know the answer to your question. I think the safest thing is what you describe.
Welcome to Amex Hilton jail. I've tried to get Hilton cards and got popped. So, I'm canceling something and giving it lots of time while I spend spend on the other Amex cards.

I don't remember if you already have Hilton, but I have read here that ALL Hilton rooms are available on points. If it's available for cash then it's available with points.

That may be technically true, but anything that's not a standard room reward usually requires so much more points. Also, you can only use an FNC for standard rooms. An example - at the Grand Wailea, Terrace View is a standard room for 95k points, random date $740 best cash price. Next high up is a Garden View for 294k points, $772 best cash price. $32 cash difference, triple the points.

Well - tried to use the chat option to secure a retention option for my AMEX Plat and had no such luck. I explained that i enjoyed the card but that with the inability to use the travel features right now I was unsure if the annual fee would be worth it this next year. I was offered to downgrade my card but when I pressed for any other offers I was told that none were available for this card. Just a DP to add.

Not true....this weekend in MB there were Hiltons I could book for cash but not points. And it has to be the standard room rate to do the free night stay. Like the room I was upgraded into at the Hampton would not have been available. That said, I did use my Hilton free nights to stay at the waldorf in Chicago.

Someone in another group pointed out that even on the lower end, the 5 FNC would be worth 125k points. Factoring that I know I'll be traveling, I guess looking at 125k vs 100k it makes my decision for me. I guess the flip is that I could maybe try to MDD on both cards and see if I can hit $7k in 3 mos of spending, LOL.

Well - tried to use the chat option to secure a retention option for my AMEX Plat and had no such luck. I explained that i enjoyed the card but that with the inability to use the travel features right now I was unsure if the annual fee would be worth it this next year. I was offered to downgrade my card but when I pressed for any other offers I was told that none were available for this card. Just a DP to add.
wait a few days before your fee is due and ask again. I usually say "Are there any retention offers on my card? The fee is more than I can afford at this time so I'm looking at cancelling my account"
The key word is "cancel"

wait a few days before your fee is due and ask again. I usually say "Are there any retention offers on my card? The fee is more than I can afford at this time so I'm looking at cancelling my account"
The key word is "cancel"

Thanks! i'll give it another shot in a few weeks, right before it posts. My opening line was "I'm considering cancelling my card as I'm not able to use it to the fullest at this time, are there any retention offers available?" I didn't emphasize the AF, maybe that was my issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter