I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

A question about Hyatt points: would you pay cash ($96/night) or use points (5,000) for a reservation? If my math is correct, that's .02 per point redemption . . . from my quick search of the points bloggers, that seems slightly low but not terrible.

Today DW received an email to upgrade her Amex business gold to a business platinum. 140k points after $10k spend. She also received an offer to apply for the business platinum. 150k points after $15k spend. Normally we couldn't do either spend in 3 months but we're looking at buying a new car so I figure I could put whatever down payment I can on the card. I wanted some opinions but I'm thinking the upgrade would be the better option. We would lose 10k points but that extra $5k spend could get me another bonus on a different card.

Does anyone that stayed at Los Altos this year remember what time the daily breakfast is, or what time it starts at least? I'm planning our excursions for each day, but I have us leaving on tours at 7:30-8am almost every day and wondering if that means we're going to miss out on the included breakfast.
I’m pretty sure it opened at 7:00. Since it’s sit down, and not buffet, breakfast usually took about 45 minutes. They did let us know at checkin that they would gladly package up to-go breakfast meals since they commonly have people leaving early for excursions. If they don’t mention it, I would just ask.

Today DW received an email to upgrade her Amex business gold to a business platinum. 140k points after $10k spend. She also received an offer to apply for the business platinum. 150k points after $15k spend. Normally we couldn't do either spend in 3 months but we're looking at buying a new car so I figure I could put whatever down payment I can on the card. I wanted some opinions but I'm thinking the upgrade would be the better option. We would lose 10k points but that extra $5k spend could get me another bonus on a different card.

I would make sure the dealership takes Amex and let's you do a payment. Mine only let me do 2k.

Both DH and myself took that upgrade offer earlier this year. I think it’s a great deal, and I still continue to get the 150k Biz Plat offers. I think it’s a win for you.

I’m pretty sure it opened at 7:00. Since it’s sit down, and not buffet, breakfast usually took about 45 minutes. They did let us know at checkin that they would gladly package up to-go breakfast meals since they commonly have people leaving early for excursions. If they don’t mention it, I would just ask.
Thanks so much for the info! I may try to push stuff some mornings to 8-8:30 if I can then, so we have time to sit down.

Does anyone that stayed at Los Altos this year remember what time the daily breakfast is, or what time it starts at least? I'm planning our excursions for each day, but I have us leaving on tours at 7:30-8am almost every day and wondering if that means we're going to miss out on the included breakfast.
Breakfast is 7-10 but as another poster mentioned it is made to order, not buffet.
Definitely ask for a bag breakfast. You could even email ahead to see the options. There's also a little grocery around the corner that has cereal and milk, snack, lunch meat, bread, etc that can be used for a quick breakfast or lunch if need be.

A question about Hyatt points: would you pay cash ($96/night) or use points (5,000) for a reservation? If my math is correct, that's .02 per point redemption . . . from my quick search of the points bloggers, that seems slightly low but not terrible.
I would use points. Using the general valuation of 1.5cpp for UR that redemption beats that. I also hate using real money for things I can use points for.

Breakfast is 7-10 but as another poster mentioned it is made to order, not buffet.
Definitely ask for a bag breakfast. You could even email ahead to see the options. There's also a little grocery around the corner that has cereal and milk, snack, lunch meat, bread, etc that can be used for a quick breakfast or lunch if need be.
Big thanks for the info! I don't know why I was thinking it was buffet style. Glad I now know we need a little more time allocated for breakfast. Our national park admission for one morning is the 8-8:40 slot, so we should have time that morning to sit down if we go early. Another morning we're doing Nauyaca waterfall, but self driving there. I wanted to leave by 8, but I guess we could push it to 8:30 so we also have time to sit down for breakfast. And another morning we need to be in Quepos for an 8am mangrove boat tour, so that morning may really be pushing it to try and sit. We'll probably have to ask for a bag breakfast that day.

The problem is its 16+ hours right? how hard is it to snag a seat? tell me the ways !
Yes, but it is a wonderful time considering you're on a plane. The service is awesome and the food is good. They release space 355 days out. I know I did something stupid with the points transfer back then but it worked out.

Here is the post #4397 from a mistake about trying to pool points when I booked https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-220#post-57720516

Here is the post that has some pics and thoughts from the flights and lounge. We got to fly both the older A380 plane and the new A380 one on that trip.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/china-trip-report-adults-only-may-2018.3683433/

I believe they do it at other times of year as well because I *think* I got this deal last Spring but can’t remember exactly.

It was a great promo for me because of 10% and then 5X on my Freedom. I'm the second person on my DD's card so missed the boat as I didn't try to get another deal through her.

Yesterday while taking a walk through Sam's I did notice that they have as much as 4.08 off 4 x $25 cards ($1.02 per card) so the freedom would get 9% right now up to $1500, which if someone is in a hurry is not the worst deal. I have almost 14 months to pay my next set of dues so I'll be taking it one deal at a time.

I would use points because I have lots of points. However if I had limited points I'd probably be trying to hold onto them. It's still not a bad deal. Also, giving up cash is not in my nature so that often pushes me to points as I don't feel the same loss, lol.

WWYD
still stalking FB for oct 16 24 ewr to cdg. lowest so far is 275k pp one way. monday is 130k but can't go then
comfort plus is 35k pp one way. if I booked that and Biz fell could I change?

i'm thinking it's off season, after Olympics, something better should come out!

on another note: finished msr for amex plat and latest CIU.

thinking united but the current offers are meh.

going to close IHG, just have to remember to use my 140k points!
There really isn't a "change" with FB. It's a cancel and rebook. 50 euro fee. Seems your dates are pretty firm. I'd be tempted to grab that comfort plus. I do hate fees, but 50 euros isn't the worst if biz class prices became favorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter