Is it just me?

If you don't like the "other stuff" then you probably wouldn't like a charcuterie board. The purpose of the boards are to try each individual item in combination with all the other individual items to experience the different flavors that they bring out in each other. Just like Remy with the cheese and strawberries in Ratatouille. DH and I love a good charcuterie board.

Not sure if they are doing it right where you are. When I grew up it was called lunch, nothing french about it so I was stunned the first time someone putting on airs used a fancy (maybe french )name for my version of lunch or snacks with drinks. No idea how it got a french sounding name when it's all italian meats and really, there shouldn't be a Ritz anywhere near it.

Same goes for rice balls, these are peasant food, yummy street food that was in pizzarias and variations were made to feed big poor families so when I see them with a big price in a fancy place I just giggle to myself.

I think those TV cooking shows help to popularize that name as well, something with a fancy French name makes it sound more exotic then it really is. Most people call it cheese/crackers when they put out snacks when having guests at their house. There isn't any one combination of items specific to this so it is whatever you like to serve. I agree as others said, that name will fade but people will still serve 'snacks' when having company.

Yeah, it’s too much. Just give me simple ham and cheese on a Triscuit. Maybe a jar of green olives on the side. I’m good.

I'm a bit surprised about people calling it a "fad". I mean, I've only been loving charcuterie boards for the last 20 years or so. Maybe having fancy-schmancy boards for your home parties is a more 2010's thing, but I mean....it's meat, cheese, and accoutremants. It's been around since, like, ancient Rome.

Not sure if they are doing it right where you are. When I grew up it was called lunch, nothing french about it so I was stunned the first time someone putting on airs used a fancy (maybe french )name for my version of lunch or snacks with drinks. No idea how it got a french sounding name when it's all italian meats and really, there shouldn't be a Ritz anywhere near it.

Same goes for rice balls, these are peasant food, yummy street food that was in pizzarias and variations were made to feed big poor families so when I see them with a big price in a fancy place I just giggle to myself.
Rice balls aren’t fancy here, you can get them at every deli, pizzeria and Italian restaurant. Cold antipasto has been on every menu forever.

Agreed. I don't know when or why people started using the term charcuterie - a specific French meat-centric thing - to refer to any and all meat & cheese board appetizers. I'm all for the evolution of both language and cuisine, but I've had a hard time getting on board with the expanded use of "charcuterie" for exactly the reasons shown in this thread.

I don’t like meat and cheese but I think they look interesting. I’ve made a dessert charcuterie board before. That I liked! Which I guess technically it’s not charcuterie if you’re not using meats and cheeses! But whatever….

I'm a bit surprised about people calling it a "fad". I mean, I've only been loving charcuterie boards for the last 20 years or so. Maybe having fancy-schmancy boards for your home parties is a more 2010's thing, but I mean....it's meat, cheese, and accoutremants. It's been around since, like, ancient Rome.
Yep and I love them too. Back in the day we used to call it “snick-snacking” and that’s just as dumb as the word charcuterie. :confused3 We laid it all out nicely on boards or platters back then and we still do. And as to the OP’s question, the allure is mostly the little extra bits-and-pieces in addition to the meats and cheeses - the more there are, the more lavish it seems.

Absolutely pro-charcuterie! It's made for some great gatherings of friends and family for us. Many options for many different tastes - and it's lots of fun to try new things in small bites. Never understood why the word charcuterie seems to rub some folks the wrong way! It's good food, small bites, and fun when paired with some good people and good beverages!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter