Is there a DVC Resort you truly dislike?

So the boat ride from OKW is more enjoyable to DTD than the one from SSR? I guess it depends which part of SSR you are staying in.

We requested a treehouse next to the launch and that's what we got. It was SUPER nice! Taking a boat to DTD from anywhere is so AWESOME!

If everyone had the same opinion, they'd all want to marry my husband:lmao:

That being said, I love all the resorts OKW on the bottom BWV on top.

We didn't like HHI at all. We went for a week in March 2003, and it rained and rained and rained. Could not use the pool. Could not go to the beach. Could not golf. The only food in the whole place was the snack bar by the pool, and it was closed. There was nowhere to go that was open, and nothing to do but sit in our room and watch TV. The Iraq war started that week and it was 7x24 on the TV. :sad2:

Maybe our expectations were out of whack, since it wasn't WDW, but HHI just didn't feel like a Disney property. We could have been anywhere.

I've tried to get over it and give HHI another chance, but 10 years on and I still have no interest in going back.

We didn't like HHI at all. We went for a week in March 2003, and it rained and rained and rained. Could not use the pool. Could not go to the beach. Could not golf. The only food in the whole place was the snack bar by the pool, and it was closed. There was nowhere to go that was open, and nothing to do but sit in our room and watch TV. The Iraq war started that week and it was 7x24 on the TV. :sad2:

Maybe our expectations were out of whack, since it wasn't WDW, but HHI just didn't feel like a Disney property. We could have been anywhere.

I've tried to get over it and give HHI another chance, but 10 years on and I still have no interest in going back.

Coincidently, I think we were there that same week-it was our first or second trip there. I remember I felt especially bad for people there with kids-there was nothing for them to do except play billiards in Big Murgie's Den. Fortunately, there were just DH and myself and he could be happy with ESPN all day. Families with kids, on the other hand, needed more than just that.

As others have said, all resorts have their pros & cons.

Having said that, I don't think I'll ever stay at SSR again - but I never say "never".

Pros:

Our rooms were very clean.

The entire staff was exemplary! From check-in to check-out we were treated with utmost consideration and kindness. For example, because of the long bus rides, we called Bell Services early one morning to ask them to call a cab for an early morning ADR. Instead they sent a driver in the resort van to take us to the park. (Of course we tipped him over & above the amt we would have pd for a cab.) I'm told they will often offer the van to those who make arrangements early enough.

Cons:

It lacks any Disney "charm", IMHO and the busses were really awful! (LOOOONG transport times. It is a very spread out resort, located far away from anything other than DTD. Altho DTD is nice, we don't go to WDW to "do" DTD - we go for the resort ambience and parks.
It reminded me of a condo or apt complex - and certainly not one I would consider in the deluxe category. All rooms open out into a walkway (as in a motel), rather than into a common area or lobby. It can be a 15 or 20 minute walk to the main bldg., especially if you have small children with you. No covered walkways between bldgs. - meaning you will get soaked or baked, depending on the weather on any particular day. Rooms are outdated tho very clean. They recently did an update on the rooms - but they just don't reflect that Disney feel or the price.

TS restaurants are non-existent (except for the Turf Club - which doesn't open until dinner.) Other restaurants were really pool grills or QS, for the most part. Room service was non-existent - unless you wanted to order pizza delivery - and that's not what I consider room service.

For the price we paid at SSR we could have gotten a modern, gorgeous off site property for much less, even factoring in a car rental. The only thing we would have lacked would have been EMH - and for the price, I could have done without.

The nice thing about SSR is that because it's such a large resort, there are usually openings when others are fully booked. It's also less expensive than most. However, I'd stay elsewhere, if given the choice. But that's just me.

There are those who justifiably love SSR, but I'm just not one of them. Please feel free to ask me any questions, if you like. I'll give you my honest opinion. I guess after this long dissertation what I'm trying to say is that it's nice, but not necessarily for me.

I stayed at all star music the first time, 2nd time we stayed in Port Orleans French quarter, this time we will be staying at the Caribbean beach resort...I am hoping for the best....Have seen mixed reviews about this resort...Anyone ever stay there?:dance3:

I stayed at all star music the first time, 2nd time we stayed in Port Orleans French quarter, this time we will be staying at the Caribbean beach resort...I am hoping for the best....Have seen mixed reviews about this resort...Anyone ever stay there?:dance3:

None of these are DVC resorts. You might want to ask your question on the Resorts Board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter