• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

JUNE 1ST- NO CHANCE

A test is just a way of assessing that students are learning. State tests, however, are garbage.
I disagree. I think (in theory) it gives an overall indicator of what kids are learning, in a specific school and/or class. I think they're also an indicator of whether teachers are accomplishing what they're paid to do. Does no remember kids being passed on to the next grade, including graduating HS who couldn't READ? Or do basic math?

I'm going to stop there because we're getting off topic.

So there are NO new concepts taught for nine weeks? Based on what my kids have gone through, that's not the case here.
Not really, it’s mostly review. In any case there has been no formal learning online for my kids since things shut down. It’s mostly busy work. Six classes and they’re done in about 30 mins.
I disagree. I think (in theory) it gives an overall indicator of what kids are learning, in a specific school and/or class. I think they're also an indicator of whether teachers are accomplishing what they're paid to do. Does no remember kids being passed on to the next grade, including graduating HS who couldn't READ? Or do basic math?

I'm going to stop there because we're getting off topic.
The problem is that state testing is so focused on the score the information is basically being shoved into the kids heads instead of them learning it. Most teachers I know loathe state testing for this reason as well.

Our kids 14 and 12. This at home schooling got old real fast. Having to send pics of completed work... etc. I feel like I’m back in school ,lol. I’m hoping they either go back or just be done with it. I feel like I’m doing someone else job. And I know it had to be a pain to receive all the pics and such if completed work. You can’t test so I don’t see the point.

Our district and all of the surrounding districts closed schools for the remainder of the year. The governor left it up to districts but put requirements in place if we reopened. We can't keep kids 6 feet away from each other. We can't limit the number of people in a building at one time. Also, if any student or staff member became ill we would have to close immediately again for 2 weeks. So the upper admin in the districts closed the schools.

However, we are doing remote learning which is easy for many teachers because of an in-house system we use. However, for people like me who teach hands-on classes it's one of the most difficult things I've done in my over 30 years of teaching. Just telling kids to practice their instruments isn't going to work because they can't practice at home for a variety of reasons. Instead I'm doing non-playing lessons that cause me tons of work but aren't just busy work for the kids.

Oh, and we can still give tests. Not the state mandated tests, but we give tests.

The reason it went down is BECAUSE of the lockdowns an social distancing. We need to get the testing up or immunity or something so we can open safely.

But how long do we wait around for that to happen when it clearly isn't a priority for any of the people making the decisions? Some of the limited federal support for testing that has actually been implemented will end tomorrow, which is expected to shut down a number of testing sites and programs. (https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...r-coronavirus-testing-sites-end-as-peak-nears) How long do you think the American people, as skeptical as we are about government as a default, will confine themselves to their homes while waiting for something that simply doesn't look like it is going to happen?

One element that will affect Disney (Florida much more than California) will be when the US allows inward international travel.
Foreign tourists are extremely important to both Disney and Florida alike.

That's the element of this that I think is most likely to result in long-lasting changes at WDW. Even when the crisis is passed, I don't see countries reopening their borders to recreational travel any time soon. Probably not until there is a vaccine and then only for travelers who can prove they've had it. So Disney may have to figure out some lower level of operations to account for the loss of their international guests.

Our kids 14 and 12. This at home schooling got old real fast. Having to send pics of completed work... etc. I feel like I’m back in school ,lol. I’m hoping they either go back or just be done with it. I feel like I’m doing someone else job. And I know it had to be a pain to receive all the pics and such if completed work. You can’t test so I don’t see the point.
Our school uses the Summit platform. Students complete assignments then they can request a test. Now we all know they can get help on those tests but they still have to make the effort. Just being done with it would be a terrible idea. And I say this as a special education teacher who has to make daily contact with my caseload. The kids need this during this time.

Sending pics of work? Does your district not utilize Google Classroom or Canvas or something like that? All my kids work has been completed and submitted electronically. Math we have printed worksheets, them scanned and uploaded them to the kid's google drive using our printer. Then they just submit the assignment with a link to the document in their Google drive.

I can imagine how much more tedious this would be if our district wasn't already using Google classroom before this.

This whole situation with schools closing is throwing counties and cities into haves vs. havenots. Our county issues each child an Ipad starting in 3rd grade. Meanwhile, Richmond is trying to find a way to fund Chromebooks for their kids. There is certainly no easy answer in all this.

So there are NO new concepts taught for nine weeks? Based on what my kids have gone through, that's not the case here.

Not the case here either. They literally just started the 4th marking period this week. The last 2 weeks, we were finishing up quarter 3. All the material is "new." Our high school splits into 2 semesters and does finals at the end of each semester. There is no "end of year review" and the standardized tests are only in 10th grade here. So, kids are literally doing all these new lessons remotely. We still have 9 weeks of school left at this point and we aren't going back to in person learning.

Sending pics of work? Does your district not utilize Google Classroom or Canvas or something like that? All my kids work has been completed and submitted electronically. Math we have printed worksheets, them scanned and uploaded them to the kid's google drive using our printer. Then they just submit the assignment with a link to the document in their Google drive.

I can imagine how much more tedious this would be if our district wasn't already using Google classroom before this.
No. Tried zoom. Those got hijacked lol. Have to admit some were funny. So they ask we take pics of papers. And send them. Which is just imho kinda silly. None of the kids take it serious and they just text each other pics of answers. Work. Etc. It’s basically busy work which I’m just not into making the kids do. So if they don’t want the kids in school. That’s fine. We are so close to the end of the year. Just write it off. Or put school on Tic Toc. That’s where the girls spend 20 hours out of the day anyways. And the other 4 face timing. Then throw in the occasional sleepover and it’s just 24 hours of messing around. But sadly nope. No way other than getting papers from the school. Doing them. Taking pics. And sending back.

We do, but for kids who don't have a scanner at home, any work that needs to be printed and completed (ie handwriting worksheets, graphic organizers) is submitted by taking a picture and uploading that in Google Classroom.

I just want to chime in-
As a teacher, I appreciate all the effort and support parents are giving to teachers. We love our students and realize this is a tremendous effort for everyone.

I agree 100% with this. We know it's hard for the parents. Many of you are working from home as well and it's difficult to help your child with their school work. We're in the same boat. Those of you who are doing the best you can and taking this seriously, we thank you.

I too am a teacher. I teach 3rd grade in PA. The governor closed schools today for the remainder of the school year. I'm sad. I received emails from parents who told me their kids were sobbing.

For the most part, the parents have been rock stars. They did not sign up for this. We're using Google Classroom (but did not use it prior to this), so it's been quite the learning curve for many. Parents also are dealing with their own situations--work at home, layoffs, etc. It's been a tough time for all.

Of course, there are parents complaining and bashing us all over Facebook. Those are the same parents, however, that complain about everything we do under normal conditions. They're having to deal with their own kids and they're not liking it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter