Just more Stuff,,,,,

Disney's 1994 animated classic The Lion King is dedicated to the late Frank Wells - Disney's President and Chief Operating Officer (1984-1994).

At the Matterhorn Bobsleds attraction at Disneyland, Wells' love of mountain- climbing is honored with skiing expedition boxes emblazoned with the words "Wells Expedition."

Sept.10, 2007:
Walt Disney World honors the crew of the NASA space shuttle Endeavour mission and the achievement of teacher-turned-astronaut Barbara Morgan. This is the first official appearance of the STS-118 crew since returning to Earth on August 21. Epcot and Magic Kingdom hold ceremonies (which include a dedication at Mission: SPACE) and allow school children to interact with the Endeavour astronauts.

Sept.10, 1938:
A morning story meeting for Fantasia takes place at the studio's conference room. Among those present - Walt Disney, orchestral conductor Leopold Stokowski, composer Deems Taylor (who will act as the film's Master of Ceremonies), animator Dick Huemer and artist-writer Joe Grant.

Sept.10,2009,
Amusement Today announces the winners of its prestigious 2009 Golden Ticket Awards. Presented to the "Best of the Best" in the amusement industry calculated from an international poll conducted by Amusement Today, this year's winners include IllumiNations: Reflections of the Earth at
Walt Disney World’s Epcot Center for Best Outdoor Night Show Production.

:goodvibes

After all is said and done, we will come in around 8,700 miles. We had The Time Of Our Life. Bill Medley, Jennifer Warnes 'Dirty Dancing". A great song. Trivia: Warnes is correct. Somebody stole her original name ; Jennifer Warner

Bad news: I was friggin' skunked on Largemouths at the FORT.

Beware FISHY, FISHY, there will be another day. We are at war at the FORT.

john

:goodvibes

After all is said and done, we will come in around 8,700 miles. We had The Time Of Our Life. Bill Medley, Jennifer Warnes 'Dirty Dancing". A great song. Trivia: Warnes is correct. Somebody stole her original name ; Jennifer Warner

Bad news: I was friggin' skunked on Largemouths at the FORT.

Beware FISHY, FISHY, there will be another day. We are at war at the FORT.

john

NO WAY !! REALLY JOHN ???? SKUNKED ???
You must notta had your fishing hat on , :confused3

Well, the important thing is, even tho you and Shirley got a little lost gett'n to the Fort (by about 7000 miles), ya'll hadda awesome time !
And we learned a couple new things about ya'll,,
like, Shirley could start her own TV series on "Extreme Thrill Rides",
and apparently Shirley thinks you have found a long lost relative,your twin :lmao:

Soo glad ya'll had sucha super wonderful adventure, :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Now don't forget, when you get home, break out that camera and start posting !!

Tuesday, September 11 , 2001:

Following the morning terrorist attacks on The Pentagon, New York City's World
Trade Center, and in the air over Pennsylvania, The Walt Disney World Resort
in Florida, and The Disneyland Resort in California, close without incident.
All the resort hotels remain open and provide accommodations to guests who are unable to leave. Phone charges are suspended so that guests can reach family. (The closures marks only the second time Disneyland has locked its gates in its 56-year history due to a national tragedy. The first time followed the
assassination of President John F. Kennedy in November 1963.)

At Disney World, Cast Members in all 4 parks are instructed to hold hands and
form a human wall and gently (without touching guests) walk towards the hub
of each park and eventually towards the exit. This calmly forces all guests out of the park. Security follows each human wall to make sure no one gets past.

At Disneyland Resort, food and beverage stations remain open at no charge for
guests who are on property. AMC Theaters at Downtown Disney show free
Disney films for stranded Resort guests. (Due to the time difference, the California theme parks have been able to close before any guest can enter.)

:cool1:

Today Sun 9/11 we threw the achor over at Manatee Springs State Park in FL.

We are here 4 days. Our site is as close as you can get to the Spring. This baby pumps out 100 million gallons of water a day.

I took Toby (not my TWIN) our camping doggie down to the Spring.

Unreal ! ! ! The water is as clear as gin and there are fishies in the headwaters (the boil, the bubble ; local talk) area. There were 2 huge bigmouths just starin' at me. HA, HA, HA, we heard you were comin' from the FORT. YOU GOT BEAT, SKUNKED, LOSER, Missed a lay-up on those TAME FISH at the FORT. Guess what ????? We are out of bounds in the swimming section. NO FISHIN'. Tough, Get a Life you old HACK ! !

Actually, above and below the Spring I can use my JON Boat, but first wetsuits and snorkeling. If I can't catch them bigmouths, I will out stare them.

john

Keep me posted John,,I always found those swimmers that were easy to see were hardest to catch.

Sept. 12,1986:
Captain EO, a 3-D, 70mm, Sci-fi, fantasy, musical movie attraction
starring Michael Jackson, opens at EPCOT. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola
and executive-produced by George Lucas, the movie tells the story of Captain EO (Jackson) and his ragtag crew of space travelers. The seventeen-minute film has cost an estimated $30 million dollars to produce - at this time the most expensive film ever produced on a per-minute basis. EPCOT is the first Disney park to present the film (as six days later Captain EO will debut in Disneyland).

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

It's not the biggest, but it is pretty and it may be start. I even had to use Spinning Gear.

Does it look BIG ??????? I am putting a thread together, DW Shirley is at it again, but the signal is weak in our campground. We will give it a shot.

FL_150_small_.jpg

john

John, it is a very pretty swimmer, and so is the back ground, :thumbsup2

Disney World recycles over 1 million pounds of scrap metal and 1.5 million pounds of wooden pallets
each year.

-------------------------------------

1925:
Legendary singer-songwriter Mel Tormé, best known for
co-writing "The Christmas Song", is born in Chicago, Illinois.
He wrote the song "County Fair" for Disney's 1948 live-action
So Dear to My Heart and in 1996 recorded and released A&E: An
Evening With Mel Tormé Live From the Disney Institute.

-------------------------------------

TONIGHT !! Sept.13, 2011,,

Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is held for the very time this
season at the Magic Kingdom in Disney World. The family-friendly after-hours event (from 7PM-midnight) offers loads of treats, character meet and greets and special entertainment unique to the party. Mickey's annual Halloween bash is scheduled for 22 more selected nights through November 1.

Disneyland's only residents were Owen & Dolly Pope. They were hired in 1951 to put together some livestock for Walt's future park. They first lived in a trailer at the Disney Studio where they raised & trained horses. Three days before Disneyland opened, they moved into the park to run the Disneyland Pony Farm.

(here is a post by Jack Spence, that I found)
Before construction began on Disneyland, something had to be done with the houses that belonged to the former owners of the land. Walt told the Popes they could choose any one of them to live in. Their selection was soon moved to a ten acre area behind what would eventually become Fantasyland. This area was known as the Pony Farm and at one time, the Pope’s cared for as many as 220 animals. The Popes are also the only people to actually ever live at Disneyland. Walt may have had an apartment above the Fire Station, but he never lived there. This honor belongs to the Popes alone.

The Popes continued working and living at Disneyland until 1971. It was at this time that they moved to Florida to help open the Magic Kingdom. They created the Tri Circle D Ranch at Fort Wilderness where it still stands today. They retired in 1975 and it’s due to their efforts here in Florida that they earned a window at the Magic Kingdom – and it is appropriately located on the Car Barn."

1958:
The Disneyland Viewliner, a narrow gauge, miniature train running since June 1957, shuts down forever. Billed as "the fastest miniature train in the world," it was the park's first attempt at mass-transit. Two separate trains, designed and built as scale replicas of General Motors' futuristic Aerotrain, traveled
along a figure-eight track through parts of Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. (The Aerotrain was a streamlined trainset introduced by General Motors Electro-Motive Division in the mid-1950s.) The Disneyland Monorail System
will take the place of Viewliner in June 1959.

Sept.15, 1999:
Most of Walt Disney World remains closed due to the public threat of Hurricane Floyd. Only essential employees are asked to report to work and guests who were staying at Disney's campgrounds (Ft. Wilderness), are given shelter at the convention center at the Contemporary Resort. It is the first time in Disney's 28-year history that it has been forced to close almost all of its parks. When the hurricane's impact is not as great as expected, officials decide to open just Animal Kingdom from noon to 8:00 p.m., for resort guests only. (The rest of Disney World will reopen the following day.)

"Hi, and welcome to the Universe of Energy. How are ya? No need to answer. You know, you're probably surprised to see me here, aren't you? But then, there's probably a lot of places you'd be surprised to see me when you think about it." -Ellen DeGeneres

Today is Constitution Day

SEPTEMBER 17

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the
United States of America."

The year 1787 over the entrance to The Hall of Presidents (at Walt Disney World) refers to the date the United States Constitution was completed

The United States Constitution was adopted on September 17, 1787 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Hey Frank:

We are north of Atlanta. "DW, let's go over to Nashville". I'm game.

You are the TN expert. What are the must see and must do ????? We will be there 2, 3 ,4 , 5 who knows how many days.

We missed Memphis so Nashville has to be the place.

Give me knowledge on Nashville. We get there Sun 9/18.

Thanks, John

In 1935, Walt Disney was presented with a medal by the League of Nations (whose goals included disarmament, preventing war, settling disputes between countries, & improving global welfare) in Paris, France.

John, Opryland Hoteland the Grand Ole Opry is a must see. The General Jackson Criuse on the river. A bus tour of the "stars" homes. Country Music Hall of Fame and Parthenon museums. The Nashville Zoo at Grassmere is nice.

Historic places,, The Hermitage, Belmont Mansion, Belle Meade Plantation.

If I find a zipline I'll let you know. ;)

1987:
DuckTales, an animated television series produced by Walt Disney Television Animation and based on Carl Barks' "Uncle Scrooge" comic book series, premieres. It will run for a total of 4 seasons and 100 episodes.

^^ One of my favorite Disney Cartoons :cool1:

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

DENISE:

YA'LL gotta' be kiddin'---Zip Lines ! ! ! I think/dream about that experience and the sweat starts runnin' down my legs again. 'NO WAY JOSE'.

We are in LaVernge TN, SE corner of Nashville at an Army Corps of Engineers Campground on Lake J. Perry Priest. I will put pics up when I can.

Thanks for the tips on Nashville.

Somebody emailed from our community in PA "when are you comin' home, we miss you".

That makes me suspect. Do I owe anybody money ?? They miss me ! ! They must have got the wrong email address.

john

Sept. 19, 1959:
Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev arrives in Los Angeles, California during his
thirteen-day U.S. visit. He is suppose to tour Los Angeles housing projects, while his wife and children
visit Disneyland. Although he wishes to accompany them to Disneyland, he is turned down when security officials
cannot guarantee his safety. The disgruntled Premier and his family attend a luncheon at Twentieth-Century Fox
Studios instead.

"Physical distance is no longer a barrier to communication.
Today, the entire world is our next door neighbor."
-Jeremy Irons narration for Epcot's Spaceship Earth

Did you ever wonder, who wrote the stories for some of the biggest Disney classics like Cinderella ?
That would be the brothers Grimm.

Sept.20, 1863,,writer and linguist Jacob Grimm dies in Berlin, Germany. He and his brother Wilhelm were the first to write down such classic tales as Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty, Hansel & Gretel, Rapenzul, The Frog Prince, and many more.

Sept.21, 2010:
Tinker Bell receives the 2,418th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame the same day as the DVD release of Disney's Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue. Tinker Bell first became a Disney character in the 1953 animated film Peter Pan and was later featured in the opening of the long-running Disney anthology television series. Tinker Bell joins Kermit the Frog, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Snow White and Winnie the Pooh with stars on the Walk of Fame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter