Just more Stuff,,,,,

It was Aug.12, 1929:
Walt Disney is granted a trademark for the use of the image of Mickey Mouse in motion pictures.
However, the Walt Disney Company celebrates Mickey's birth as November 18, 1928, upon the release of Steamboat Willie.

1951,,Actor Ronald Reagan (future U.S. president) and ventriloquist Paul Winchell take part in a celebrity race at the Soap Box Derby in Akron, Ohio. Paul and his dummy Jerry Mahoney beat Reagan in the competition! (Reagan will go on to co-host the opening of Disneyland and Winchell will voice the character of Tigger in countless Winnie the Pooh features.)

It huffed and it puffed but it still couldn't blow down the house of the mouse.

On Aug. 13, 2004 Walt Disney World and other anxious Orlando tourists and residents hunker down as Hurricane Charley with 110 mph winds hits Central Florida. Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney- MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom all close at 1 p.m. It is the third closing in Disney World history.

And after 18 years, the Walt Disney World Information Center, located just off Interstate 75 and State Road 200, closes at the end of this day. The Internet age has reduced the number of Disney visitors using the center.
We usta stop there ever trip to WDW, we LOVED that place !!

1765:
In colonial America, a group of men calling themselves the Sons of Liberty gather in Boston under a large elm tree at the corner of Essex Street and Orange Street near Hanover Square to protest the hated Stamp Act. In 1765 the British government imposed a Stamp Act requiring all legal documents, permits, commercial contracts, newspapers, pamphlets, and playing cards in the American colonies to carry a tax stamp. The Sons of Liberty conclude their protest by hanging two tax collectors in effigy from the tree! From that day forward, the tree will become known as the "Liberty Tree." In Disney World's Liberty Square, a replica of the Liberty Tree stands opposite The Hall of Presidents. The replica is an actual 100-year-old oak found on the Florida property and transplanted, with a younger oak grafted into the base.

I remember seeing Merlin do this like it was yesterday. Too bad I cant remember what I had for breakfast or where I parked my car today.

Aug 15, 2006:
After nearly 13 years of entertaining Walt Disney World guests, Merlin performs his last Sword in the Stone show in front of Cinderella's Golden Carousal. Merlin has been challenging young guests to pull the sword from the stone several times a day in Fantasyland (at the Magic Kingdom) since 1994.

"I am Merlin, adviser to King Arthur and right now it is my job to discover which one among you is qualified to be temporary royal ruler. Since the responsibilities are so great, I will be selecting several people throughout the day to share these burdens of leadership. So, have no fear! If you get selected, it is just a part time job."

Disney World's Country Bear Jamboree was originally designed for Mineral King, an alpine area resort in
California's Sierra Nevada mountains. Mineral King was never built, so the bears found a home in Florida.

Disney World's Pop Century Resort features 'larger than life' icons of the 20th Century, including 4-storey Rubik’s Cubes & yo-yos and 55-foot cell phones. Phase I, the Classic Years, opened December 14, 2003.

The resort is built around Hourglass Lake and features a bridge called Generation Gap Bridge that was to join the Classic Years with the unbuilt Legendary Years.

Aug.17 1984,the Walt Disney Company informs it's chairman Ron Miller that they wanted his
resignation. Disney has fallen to 14th in film box office. Miller's only qualifications to run a conglomerate other than being Walt's son-in-law was that he was a tight end for the LA Rams. (Within two years of the Michael Eisner regime taking power, Disney will be number one.)

And on a happier note, Aug.17, 1786 Davey Crockett was born in the great state of Tennessee !!

Wait, I thought that was Fess Parker ?!?! (kidding) But Fess did play the role of Davey Crockett for Disney inna TV series.

party::bday: to Crockett's Tavern

Aug.18, 1986
Crockett's Tavern opens in Walt Disney World's Fort Wilderness. Part of Trail's
End Restaurant, it is located at the northern end of the campgrounds.

In 1941, Walt and Lillian Disney along with sixteen colleagues spent 10 weeks visiting several Latin American nations to gather story material for a series of short films
with South American themes. The result was Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros.

The Three Caballeros, one of my all time favorite shorts.

On this day , Aug.19 2008, Walt Disney World opens all four theme parks and the Downtown Disney area one hour earlier - at 8 a.m. - due to the possibility of Tropical Storm Fay striking CentralFlorida sometime later this day. The sixth named storm of the 2008 Atlantic hurricane season, Fay
will travel through the entire state!

aaahh them hurricanes, gotta love'm.

wait,,NO WE DON'T !

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln was the first Disney-created attraction to feature an Audio-Animatronics human figure.
The attraction made its debut at the 1964 World's Fair.

Yup, I am headed down a different road this morning,,(can you tell that I'm hungry)
This is a Top Ten List from a Disney blogger. My list would be much different.
What would your list look like ??

1. A Dole Whip. If there's one treat that the Magic Kingdom is known for, it's the iconic Dole Whip, a soft-serve pineapple-flavored frozen treat.

2. The turkey leg. You can argue about this much-maligned snack all you want, but the brisk sales of these smoked turkey legs don't lie: It's one of the most popular treats in the parks.

3. Grand Marinier Slushie. Okay, say you do invade France. Don't forget to get one of these located at a kiosk in the French pavilion in Epcot.

4. Zebra Domes. You can find these little cakes at Animal Kingdom Lodge in two locations, Boma and at the Mara (a quick service location). They're filled with chocolate ganache and Amarula, which is a light tasting, fruity liquor made from the fruit of the African Marula tree. They're covered with a white-chocolate coating and drizzled with dark chocolate, which gives them their "zebra" look.

5. Dinner at Ohana. It's a meat-ateria: Shrimp, beef, and chicken, as much of it as you can eat. Served on skewers that are brought to your table, you'll also sample Asian-themed sides and their famous bread with macadamia nut butter. The restaurant can get a little loud, but like most Disney restaurants, it's very kid-friendly.

6. The mushroom filet at Le Cellier. If you've ever tried to get an advanced dining reservation at Le Cellier, you know it's the toughtest table to get in all of Disney World. This steak is part of the reason why. You can argue that there are better steaks available on property (I would), but none have the following that this mushroom-covered steak has.

7. Smoky portobella mushroom soup at Artist Point. This excellent signature restaurant is a sleeper, located in the Wilderness Lodge. This is great news for those who plan trips on short-notice, because it's easy to get in without a reservation. Sample Pacific Northwest fare like grilled buffalo, fresh salmon and an almost-famous berry cobbler, but make sure you start out your meal with the creamy, smoky mushroom soup.

8. The sushi at California Grill. Almost too pretty to eat, California Grill has one of the top sushi chefs in the country.

9. The fried chicken at Trails End Buffet. Wildly popular, this buffet is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and has lots of homestyle, family-friendly food. Leave the hectic pace behind over at the Magic Kingdom and take a relaxing boat ride over the Ft. Wilderness; you don't need to be a guest to use this form of transportation. You can enjoy the peaceful surroundings and eat 'till your heart's content.

10. Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe. Located in the Polynesian Resort, few foods at Disney World have the kind of following that Tonga Toast has. It's dusted with cinnamon sugar and filled with banannas and served with a side of strawberry compote.

oh, and onna side note, I would put the Trails End chicken much higher on my list then a 9...

happy eating ya'll.

n the early days, Walt Disney World's Contemporary Resort was to be originally called The Tempo Bay Resort Hotel.
Ironically, Disney referred to Tempo Bay as "the most contemporary resort hotel."

I have a confession to make..... Ive never had a Disney Turkey Leg :confused:

OMG !!!:eek:
That is simply unacceptable !!
That's,,that's,,THAT'S UN-DISNEY-FIED !!!

Alright, okay, I've got my breath back, , you do realize that it's imperative that you try a Turkey Leg the very next time you are at Disney,right ??

Yes, sir! I actually plan on having one as soon as possible after arriving on Disney property on Sept 25th. :thumbsup2

:wizard:

We will try anything ! ! ! ! (truck tailgate)

john

CO_147_small_.jpg

Remember the happy go lucky inebriated Otis Campbell on the classic series The Andy Griffith Show ?

Well,,his real name was Hal Smith and he was born on Aug.24 1916
He was a voice artist, writer, and actor was born in Petoskey, Michigan. His Disney voice credits include Philippe the horse in Beauty and the Beast, Owl in in many of the Winnie the Pooh shorts and feature films, and Goofy in countless TV cartoons. (TV fans will recognize him from his role as Otis Campbell on the classic series The Andy Griffith Show. One of the most sought after voice actors in the 1960s, Smith was the original voice of Barney Rubble!)

I never knew he was so versatile ! :confused3

Aug 25, 2006:

In response to the news on August 24 that a team of astronomers have demoted Pluto to "dwarf planet" status, the Seven Dwarfs themselves take time to issue a statement, via their friends at the Walt Disney World Resort:

"Although we think it's Dopey that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people Grumpy and others just Sleepy, we are not Bashful in saying we would be Happy if Disney's Pluto would join us as an eighth dwarf. We think this is just what the Doc ordered and is nothing to Sneeze at."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter