King Charles Coronation

This is changed in the UK. But only for those children born starting in 2015. The order of succession is oldest direct male descendants first, then female (at the same genealogical level), basically. Until the succession starts including those born 2015 and since then. Then it's just oldest direct descent (regardless of male/female).

The line of succession act was changed several years ago. It had to pass all Commonwealth Parliaments.
Here is Canada's Act. https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/S-23.5/FullText.html
That's great! It's too bad they didn't make it retroactive.

As usual, I’ve seen a lot of speculation today about what would happen if both Charles, and then William, became incapacitated - where Prince George is still so young.

Seems as if some legislation was enacted by Parliament that if George needed a Regent, that it would be, first, Prince Edward, and then, Princess Anne.

Don’t shoot the messenger. :laughing:

Meh. It wouldn't affect anything. Not like Princess Anne is about to become Queen with 2 nephews and 5 great nieces/nephews.
Although a long shot, the above post says differently.

PS: It appears our posts could be becoming adversarial. I just wanted to add that this means less than nothing to me. Apparently, I decided this is my day to voice my distaste for antiquated laws/legislation. :laughing:

PS: It appears our posts could be becoming adversarial. I just wanted to add that this means less than nothing to me. Apparently, I decided this is my day to voice my distaste for antiquated laws/legislation. :laughing:
I think they changed the legislation (for Charlotte) but it’s not retroactive for Anne. If that makes sense.

A regent is just someone who is a mentor for a monarch (George) who is not of age yet. As I understand it. I’m sure I’m using the wrong terms, lol.

It was changed when Charlotte was born. Australia, like Canada and all other Commonwealth countries had to change.

No. You are mixing up Regent and Monarch.
Changing the line of succession retroactively was not going to matter as 8 people aren’t going to die and end up with Queen Anne.

Bring a regent for a minor is different.

I hope they're both ok. Charles is a very understanding King, so supportive of his tenants (can't pay the rent this month? No problem, just try next month). Clever too. He founded the Duchy (organic foods before they were popular) and the Prince's Trust. I like him :) And Kate is always at hand to spread that little bit of warmth over people she meets.

The succession change only affects people born after Oct 28, 2011. The Commonwealth realms agreed at the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Perth Australia in 2011 to change to equal primogeniture aka birth order. Each realm had to agree and pass the legislation in each country so it took a couple of years.

So we see Louis behind his big sister in line of succession instead of right behind George how he would be under old rules.

A Regent is someone who rules instead when the monarch is not capable of ruling or the monarch is under age 18. So say King Charles gets dementia in the future and can’t do the job, then the next adult in the succession- Prince William would be the regent. We last saw this with George III.

Counselors of State are people that can fill in for the monarch if the monarch is unavailable for a period of time like out of the country. It’s the spouse of the monarch, first 4 adults in line of succession. Parliament last year added Edward and Anne as CoS for their lifetime. Eventually as they get older George, Charlotte and Louis will bump others out of CoS roles.

Once George becomes 18 in 8 years, he would not need a regent. I suspect if William becomes King before George is 18. Parliament will pass a law to make Catherine the regent for George instead of Harry. Parliament pass a law back in 1950s when Elizabeth first started to make Philip the regent for Charles instead of Margaret. So there is precedence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter