Mass shooting in Toronto?

Any shooting, no matter where it is, is awful, & I'm sorry & sad it happened in Toronto.

A few years ago, a gunman shot & killed 4 members of the military in our community. It was the first time anything like that had ever occurred in our city. It's tragic & sad & scary & unsettling. My thoughts & prayers are w/ the people of Toronto.

And I get that Canadians love their country & think their country is the best - that's as it should be.

I happen to love America & think it's the best country - but I also recognize that there are some other really great countries as well, Canada being one.

What gets tiresome is the constant, smug, condescending "Canada is sooooo much better than America" & "bad things like shootings never happen in Canada" & "I would never travel to America because it's like the Wild, Wild West down there".

Who talks like that? You hear it once or twice and make it seems like it's rampant.

All Canadians do not think Canada is the "best" country. All American's do not think the US is the "best" country. There is a lot every person in any country can learn from others. Keeping a closed mind with the "don't tell me how to run my country" nonsense doesn't help. We can all learn and grow from each others mistakes and things done right. People need to stop being so insecure.

And I’ve heard there has to be a legitimate reason to transport the firearm, such as to/from a shooting range. We kind of discussed it in another topic, but there’s a patchwork in the US because transport laws vary by state. At least here in California it would need to be transported unloaded, either in a locked box and/or in the trunk. But it would be legal to have it in a vehicle at any time provided it’s not brought to a place where it’s specifically illegal.

There was a time when open carry was allowed without a license in California. In an incorporated area (a city) and other specified areas, that could be done as long as it was unloaded. And a peace officer could demand a safety check at any time to ensure it was unloaded. It was kind of bizarre. Loaded carry is still legal, but not in an incorporated city without some sort of permit of law enforcement status.

Oh yes you can’t just stop at Tim’s or the mall with the gun in your trunk. Or that’s my understanding. To and from gun club. Gun is unloaded and locked in case in trunk

You seem to be very certain about this (copy cat) and how Canada gets its guns (smuggling), how the shooter got his gun (illegally), etc. At this point, these are just opinions. My opinion is that Mayor Tory seems to have a very good handle on identifying what the problems are, and they're multifactorial. Solutions are, as well. Just like in the U.S.

Did you not see my question mark when I said home grown terror? Did you not read where I said where the gun came from has yet to be determined? You have a right to your opinion on Mayor Tory. He is a politician and I'm glad your impressed by his talk.

Did you not see my question mark when I said home grown terror? Did you not read where I said where the gun came from has yet to be determined? You have a right to your opinion on Mayor Tory. He is a politician and I'm glad your impressed by his talk.
I did. He's not just a politician, he's the one who has to try to deal with the problems day in and day out, and now with the whole world watching. He's been talking about these issues for years.

Who talks like that? You hear it once or twice and make it seems like it's rampant.

All Canadians do not think Canada is the "best" country. All American's do not think the US is the "best" country. There is a lot every person in any country can learn from others. Keeping a closed mind with the "don't tell me how to run my country" nonsense doesn't help. We can all learn and grow from each others mistakes and things done right. People need to stop being so insecure.

Seriously?

It comes up thread after thread after thread.

AND realize 'Thoughts and Prayers' while empathetic are NOT THE ANSWER.

You hear it once or twice and make it seems like it's rampant.
I've refrained from commenting here but in the interest of clarity I *think* the poster is talking about the Boards in particular. It def. has been a heck of a lot more than once or twice.

Any thread talking about gun control or a shooting incident it is brought up how America does things and how the rest of the world does things, how America has X incidents occuring and how the rest of the world doesn't have this issue.

That's stating a fact. Right or wrong the comparisons are always made. On this Board it happens every dang time.

I've refrained from commenting here but in the interest of clarity I *think* the poster is talking about the Boards in particular. It def. has been a heck of a lot more than once or twice.

Any thread talking about gun control or a shooting incident it is brought up how America does things and how the rest of the world does things, how America has X incidents occuring and how the rest of the world doesn't have this issue.

That's stating a fact. Right or wrong the comparisons are always made. On this Board it happens every dang time.

It's not just shooting/gun control threads... it's travel threads, it's medical threads...

Right. As soon I said that my thoughts & prayers were w/ the people of Toronto, I knew someone would jump on that! :)

I don't know about you, but, when anyone expresses to me that he/she is thinking about me and/or praying for me, I am grateful for the sentiment.

Again, I remember how it felt when a shooting happened in our community, so, yes, the people of Toronto are in my thoughts & prayers. I'm sorry that that's not enough.

For the actual incident that occurred it's very sad to hear about it. Honestly all my local news is talking about is the Branson Duck Boat incident so I haven't heard a ton about this. I opted to not watch the videos contained within the story linked up in the OP but I just shudder to think how those people must have felt not knowing what was actually going on. I hope to hear more on the mental illness information though it's something I truly wish would get more attention and study done in general.

Well, even your PM offered "thoughts" on Sunday night.

I'm not sure who thinks that those are the "only" answers; because all of us - as a society - seem to keep spinning our wheels instead of fixing these compound problems we face, then it does seem like offering thoughts and prayers are something that can help if they help bring everyone to the table together.

And btw, if anyone noticed it the other night, the surgeon in charge of caring for many victims at the hospital asked publicly for people to pray for the victims.

It's hard to take the US out of the picture when the article was written by an American. It's still an opinion piece with a slant.
If there's a slant, it leans in favor of enhanced gun control. (I checked.)

(ETA there are also many, many articles I've seen that say essentially the exact same thing. It's just that trying to find them again was difficult since many of the articles linked in my History now have changed, otherwise I would've posted them. But the Stats are easily verifiable.)

Well, even your PM offered "thoughts" on Sunday night.

I'm not sure who thinks that those are the "only" answers; because all of us - as a society - seem to keep spinning our wheels instead of fixing these compound problems we face, then it does seem like offering thoughts and prayers are something that can help if they help bring everyone to the table together.

And btw, if anyone noticed it the other night, the surgeon in charge of caring for many victims at the hospital asked publicly for people to pray for the victims.

I don't pray so I won't be doing that. I have made a donation in Reese Fallon's name to this fund and invite others to do the same. https://www.gofundme.com/danforth-strong

If there's a slant, it leans in favor of enhanced gun control. (I checked.)

(ETA there are also many, many articles I've seen that say essentially the exact same thing. It's just that trying to find them again was difficult since many of the articles linked in my History now have changed, otherwise I would've posted them. But the information is easily verifiable.)

So what? You seem to want to argue with me and clearly you know a lot more about what Mayor Tory stands for than I do so you can engage from here on in with someone else.

I don't pray so I won't be doing that. I have made a donation in Reese Fallon's name to this fund and invite others to do the same. https://www.gofundme.com/danforth-strong
That was very nice of you. I might do the same.

It's not to say that people "have to" pray, I would certainly respect anyone's right not to. But another thing we often hear on these threads is complaints about thoughts and prayers. To me, thoughts and prayers help us remember we're all human and this is a human problem we all share. I don't think of it in terms of us and them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter