May 26, 2007 (5/26/07) "First Magical Med Cruise!!" (The M&M's!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had some friends over last weekend and tried to duplicate the vanilla martinis. If you use the exact ingredients, it will be a VERY expensive drink, which is probably why DCL does not offer it on the menu. Around here, Galliano, Amaretto (the good kind), and Absolute Vanilla are each about $23-$25 a bottle. Our local ABC store did not even carry White Godiva so we had to use some other form of white chocolate liquer. We also got the cheaper Amaretto. We substituted a French vanilla coffee creamer for the vanilla ice cream mix because I have no idea where to get that. The martinis were good, but not as decadent as the ones on the ship. Everyone else seemed to like them, but they they just seemed to be missing that pizaaz. I guess I'll just need another cruise to get the real thing.......
I really hate that I never tried th vanilla martinis on ship. They sound right up my alley. I think I will try to make them too!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Lauren and good luck to Ken's son in the tournament.

We will keep the "mom's" in our thoughts and prayers.

We had some friends over last weekend and tried to duplicate the vanilla martinis. If you use the exact ingredients, it will be a VERY expensive drink, which is probably why DCL does not offer it on the menu. Around here, Galliano, Amaretto (the good kind), and Absolute Vanilla are each about $23-$25 a bottle. Our local ABC store did not even carry White Godiva so we had to use some other form of white chocolate liquer. We also got the cheaper Amaretto. We substituted a French vanilla coffee creamer for the vanilla ice cream mix because I have no idea where to get that. The martinis were good, but not as decadent as the ones on the ship. Everyone else seemed to like them, but they they just seemed to be missing that pizaaz. I guess I'll just need another cruise to get the real thing.......

Jeanne -

I see some alcohol shopping in your future - maybe on the panama cruise. :lmao: NOw if it would only stay in your luggage for the trip home:thumbsup2

Sandy

Sandy,
Great idea but the recent carry-on luggage restrictions have really placed a damper on my Carribean alcohol shopping excursions. I really miss those little carry-on totes full of booze that they previously allowed us to bring right on the plane.

Sandy,
Great idea but the recent carry-on luggage restrictions have really placed a damper on my Carribean alcohol shopping excursions. I really miss those little carry-on totes full of booze that they previously allowed us to bring right on the plane.

I'm betting the Carribean liquor store are non too pleased with that restriction either.

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on for a couple of days.

Glad to hear that Lauren is on the road to recovery.

Mari, Prayers for your Mom. MY mom (the one on the cruise) is a 15 yr breast cancer survivor. Pixie dust and prayers for good news for your Mom. :wizard:

Ken, How did the tournie go for your son? I love volleyball! I love to play (not very good) and watch.

Hi Everyone,

Ken, How did the tournie go for your son? I love volleyball! I love to play (not very good) and watch.

Hi

The AVP beach volleyball tournament was OK - but not great. He won his first match and then lost his second match to the eventual tournament winners. He then won his third match, but lost the fourth match (double elimination). So he finished in 13th place.

Another tournament in two weeks in Chicago.
Thanks for asking!

FYI to everyone - I'm getting closer to that $10,000 fundraising goal. $8,786 so far with about 2 months to go. Thanks for the support!

Ken

Hi

The AVP beach volleyball tournament was OK - but not great. He won his first match and then lost his second match to the eventual tournament winners. He then won his third match, but lost the fourth match (double elimination). So he finished in 13th place.

Another tournament in two weeks in Chicago.
Thanks for asking!

FYI to everyone - I'm getting closer to that $10,000 fundraising goal. $8,786 so far with about 2 months to go. Thanks for the support!

Ken

Ken,

We were reading about the touney in the paper. Allison was invited to play on the US Navy volleyball team that travels the world playing volleyball and has had olympic hopefuls on it. She declined so that she could go on WestPac with her ship.

Now, I have a question to ask everyone...I'm doing my scrapbook and I thought I was a diligent photographer, but I failed. I have about 5 or 6 nights of menu covers. Did anyone get a photo of all of them? If so, PM me and I'll send you my email address.:confused3
Thanks, all!
Mari

Ken,

We were reading about the touney in the paper. Allison was invited to play on the US Navy volleyball team that travels the world playing volleyball and has had olympic hopefuls on it. She declined so that she could go on WestPac with her ship.

Mari

Very Cool! What rank/rate is she - or is she in the Academy?

Ken

Ken,

Now, I have a question to ask everyone...I'm doing my scrapbook and I thought I was a diligent photographer, but I failed. I have about 5 or 6 nights of menu covers. Did anyone get a photo of all of them? If so, PM me and I'll send you my email address.:confused3
Thanks, all!
Mari
The scrapbookers out there have inspired me to try my first scrapbook. Onboard they had some Med scrapbooking materials. Does anyone have any idea of how I can buy it now? I am little overwhelmed with the thought of putting it together, but I guess you have to start somewhere!

The scrapbookers out there have inspired me to try my first scrapbook. Onboard they had some Med scrapbooking materials. Does anyone have any idea of how I can buy it now? I am little overwhelmed with the thought of putting it together, but I guess you have to start somewhere!

Well, you could try and talk to someone on one of the future Med cruise threads and see if they would bring some home for you. Or even better, find someone on the August repo - that way they might not have to worry so much about luggage space. There are several people from the May repo also doing the August repo back.

Give that a try.
Ken

Very Cool! What rank/rate is she - or is she in the Academy?

Ken

Neither....she's OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool1: :yay: She was E3, I think She's been out since 2001.

I do hope your son does well in his next tournament. I do so enjoy watching beach volleyball. It does seem less injurious than court VB. Allison messed up her knees on the court.!
Lauren and I will be at the cool breeze ride cheering on for Allison...and you! If we can meet up, I do believe I'll bring my scrapbook and bore the life out of you!!!!!!:rotfl2: :lmao:

Mari

Well, you could try and talk to someone on one of the future Med cruise threads and see if they would bring some home for you. Or even better, find someone on the August repo - that way they might not have to worry so much about luggage space. There are several people from the May repo also doing the August repo back.

Give that a try.
Ken

:tinker:
Funny you should ask that. I just wrote DCL to see if I could purchase any more scrapbooking kits as I have just about used the 2 that I purchased on the ship. He said, no, they are exculsively on the ship. rats.:confused3 Maybe if you do find someone that will bring some back, I'll see if they will bring one for me. They had 3 different packages: one specific for the Med, one for 2007, and one specific for the cruise line. The med and 2007 packages worked:smickey: the best for me. The last one was generic DCL....the wonder, castaway cay, etc. Also, just some generic Disneyland scrapbooking kits would work. I dove into mine as I was running out of pages that I wanted to use. Good luck. Boy, if could, I would love to find someone to bring back a couple of more Stantons from Provence. My husband and I absolutely fell in love with the 3 that we purchased. We can't help but smile and reminisce about the South of France and how much we loved it. What beautiful memories we have!!:hug: :love: If fall else fails, one of my coworkers is going to the so. of France in Feb....one way or the other, I'll get my Stantons!!!
Good luck and if you cannot find any thing...I also looked on disneyshopping.com with no luck...I live 20 min from Disneyland and I'll be happy to go there (ok ANY excuse will do!) and send some to you. Just let me know..and that goes for anyone else, tool:goodvibes

Peace and happy scrapbooking! Mari

Those of you looking to nab up some Disney related scrapbooking supplies...

Check out this website- I am sure there are others out there but I have a friend who bought stuff from these guys.

http://www.mousememories.com/

-Laurie, David, Breighton and Baby #2 Due in Jan! :)

Laurie, how is the pregnancy proceeding? I take it the icky phase must be over by now.

memarmay, you are a restaurant God!!! We went to Mangia Mangia on Friday and after 3 bites DH said this was by far his new favorite restaurant. It was excellent. Everyone at the table had outstanding food and the service was great. What a "hole in the wall" find! Thanks for yet another great Disboard recommendation :banana: :banana:

memarmay, you are a restaurant God!!! We went to Mangia Mangia on Friday and after 3 bites DH said this was by far his new favorite restaurant. It was excellent. Everyone at the table had outstanding food and the service was great. What a "hole in the wall" find! Thanks for yet another great Disboard recommendation :banana: :banana:

Don't they have fantastic food? Their cuisine reminds me most of the cuisine that we had in Italy. We just love it! We will need to go and say hello to our buddies! Maybe we can meet there for dinner one evening, OK?

Mari

Laurie, how is the pregnancy proceeding? I take it the icky phase must be over by now.

Thanks for asking. Yeah the icky part seems to be subsiding. With Breighton I had morning sickness for 3 days... with this one... I was sick until just this week...15 weeks in! UGH! Hopefully it stays away. We are eagerly awaiting September so we can find out the sex...then the work begins. Shopping (if it is a girl! FINGERS CROSSED!), name picking (got a few good ones on the burner, gotta keep the name Different) and all the other baby things....

Breighton moved to a "big boy room" this week and we will start a quick minor remodel of his old room when the weather cools down a bit. We have to replace a ceiling due to an OLD water leak from before we moved in. Shouldn't be too much work.

Nowhere near the stress of when I was preggers with Breighton! :) More nerves this time... how will I cope with a two year old and a newborn! Ugh! :) We will work it out! :)

Mangia Mangia

We have one in the North end of Boston, it is just a sub shop!!

Not part of a chain, but it has great Subs and sandwiches!!

Funny!!! ;) :lmao:

hole in the wall in the North End also!!! :goodvibes

So if you are ever in Boston... :)

Mangia Mangia

We have one in the North end of Boston, it is just a sub shop!!

Not part of a chain, but it has great Subs and sandwiches!!

Funny!!! ;) :lmao:

hole in the wall in the North End also!!! :goodvibes

So if you are ever in Boston... :)

Mangia Mangia is a stand-alone restaurant. The owners are from Sicily, Guiseppe and Paulo Cefalu....sound familiar..Cefalu? Anyway, they are brothers and they have built up this restaurant from scratch. The food is amazing! I have NEVER ordered something that is less than superb. If you are ever out here, we'll take you there!!!

And, I will be in Mass (Marlborough) the end of Sept, to Oct 1 or 2. Perhaps we could get together. How's that ankle....I still have that smelly stuff from my neighbor. I'm surprised I never got stopped by customs. Thank goodness for ziploc bags!
Mari

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter