Minnie Vans now charging flat fee plus mileage.

That is shocking. I guess they are relying on the families who need the 2 car seats.
It's shocking if you only compare prices -- or if you only compare the quality you get for the price.

But there is another critically important component, and it's the economics. And the all-important COSTS are vastly different for Uber/Lyft and for Disney. It goes something like this:
  • Vehicle Ownership
    • MinnieVan uses new Chevy Traverse SUVs purchased or leased from GM. Sure, they got a great deal -- but still there is significant vehicle acquisition cost to Disney
    • Uber/Lyft own NO vehicles. The drivers provide their own vehicles, and all costs associated with them.
  • Vehicle Operating Costs
    • MinnieVan -- Disney pays for gas, oil, tires and all other maintenance
    • Uber/Lyft -- U/L pay for NOTHING. All operating costs of the vehicles are paid by the driver.
  • Insurance
    • MinnieVan -- Disney pays all insurance costs
    • Uber/Lyft -- Driver pays for basic insurance. U/L provide very limited insurance for certain phases of a ride. Uber has a $1,000 deductible. Lyft's deductible is $2,500!
  • Driver costs
    • MinnieVan drivers are Disney employees. I'm not familiar with their salary and benefits, but whatever they are -- they're paid by Disney
    • Uber/Lyft -- U/L have no driver salary or benefit expense.
      • Drivers are paid a flat fee for mileage and time, but only when we have a rider in the vehicle.
      • The U/L Orlando market pay rates happen to be the lowest in the US. The per-mile rate ($.48 per mile) is substantially below what the IRS says it costs to operate your personal vehicle for business purposes ($.555 per mile).
      • With the new "upfront pricing" model being used by both companies, both companies typically now get 25%-60% of the fare you pay. If your fare seems higher than what you used to pay, they're probably getting 40%-60%.
So the cost of doing business is very much higher for Disney, and at some point they have to start to recover some of those costs. This increase is not the first, and will not be the last.

It's shocking if you only compare prices -- or if you only compare the quality you get for the price.

But there is another critically important component, and it's the economics. And the all-important COSTS are vastly different for Uber/Lyft and for Disney. It goes something like this:
  • Vehicle Ownership
    • MinnieVan uses new Chevy Traverse SUVs purchased or leased from GM. Sure, they got a great deal -- but still there is significant vehicle acquisition cost to Disney
    • Uber/Lyft own NO vehicles. The drivers provide their own vehicles, and all costs associated with them.
    • Uber/Lyft -- U/L pay for NOTHING. All operating costs of the vehicles are paid by the driver.
  • Insurance
    • Uber/Lyft -- Driver pays for basic insurance. U/L provide very limited insurance for certain phases of a ride. Uber has a $1,000 deductible. Lyft's deductible is $2,500!
  • Driver costs
    • MinnieVan drivers are Disney employees. I'm not familiar with their salary and benefits, but whatever they are -- they're paid by Disney
      • Drivers are paid a flat fee for mileage and time, but only when we have a rider in the vehicle.
      • The U/L Orlando market pay rates happen to be the lowest in the US. The per-mile rate ($.48 per mile) is substantially below what the IRS says it costs to operate your personal vehicle for business purposes ($.555 per mile).
      • With the new "upfront pricing" model being used by both companies, both companies typically now get 25%-60% of the fare you pay. If your fare seems higher than what you used to pay, they're probably getting 40%-60%.
So the cost of doing business is very much higher for Disney, and at some point they have to start to recover some of those costs. This increase is not the first, and will not be the last.
Some of those points you listed also affect quality to an extent.

My car is fairly new, in good condition, and clean, but nothing special IMO. Nevertheless, I've received compliments from riders who remarked that they've ridden in other Ubers that were rather scruffy. I don't think that's the norm, but with a Minnie Van it's not a concern.

And we've all seen the reports of drivers who have limited English speaking skills, or can't find their way around WDW. Again, not a concern with Minnie Vans (I hope).

I just priced out Pop Century to Wilderness Lodge (since that is the transfer we will need next month) and it is now 33.54. I highly doubt we will pay that just to drop off luggage (I know Disney will transfer it for us but we were thinking of taking it with us and checking in before heading to the park so it would be there when our room is ready). Maybe if we really want we will send one adult (so we won't need the car seats)with a carry on in a regular Uber/ Lyft to the hotel and they can meet the rest of our family at MK. Most likely we will just skip it, let Disney do it all, and take our chances when we get the room ready text/ when we check in.

I just googled distance between BLT and Typhoon Lagoon. If you go one , it's 6 miles, another way, 8 miles. Which would Disney use for mileage?

But then some may say "I'll just rent a car instead". But there is a pesky parking fee .......

I used Minnie Vans last year a few time when they first came out. Paid the $20 and it was worth it for me. As a single woman traveler, I liked them because I felt safer then with a standard ride share. All of my drivers were woman. I don't like the price increase at all, but I will probably use them a couple of times during my next trip. I use them when I have dinner reservations at other resorts.

It's looking to me like they've done this as a way to reduce usage. Keep from having to increase the fleet. With the old price structure they had just about 100% utilization during their operating hours. With this increase they are bound to see a drop in usage

It’s all about families and car seats. We need a car seat and uber up charges massively for them. First it was less at 20 then it was about even at 25 now it’s slightly more depending on the trip. Now if you need a car seat would you pay 5-10 more dollars to get these things. A new seat, one you know never has been in an accident, a trained professional who know how to install them forward facing or rear facing, proper safety checks and much more when it comes to your kids life you will pay extra trust me. Let alone if you need 2 car seats you have no options on uber. Of course singles or people with no kids it’s 100% not worth it unless your going to tails end. Glad they are increasing the price bc when I need it for my young kids I will be able to get one.

I will probably still use Minnie Vans a few times during our upcoming trip. Had it budgeted so now I will just reduce our usage to match the budget.

It’s all about families and car seats. We need a car seat and uber up charges massively for them. First it was less at 20 then it was about even at 25 now it’s slightly more depending on the trip. Now if you need a car seat would you pay 5-10 more dollars to get these things. A new seat, one you know never has been in an accident, a trained professional who know how to install them forward facing or rear facing, proper safety checks and much more when it comes to your kids life you will pay extra trust me. Let alone if you need 2 car seats you have no options on uber. Of course singles or people with no kids it’s 100% not worth it unless your going to tails end. Glad they are increasing the price bc when I need it for my young kids I will be able to get one.
Uber -- Boardwalk to OKW, just as an example: XL $11.03, XL with child seat $18.86 -- so roughly $8 more.

Based on the little tests I've run, it seems the MV would be about double the regular XL fare, or around $22 for that short trip. For a longer trip, the differential will be greater.

That said, I agree with you that I would have more confidence in the MV than an Uber program that is being phased out. Personally, if I needed a child seat, I'd probably bring my own even though it's a hassle if you need a full-blown backward-facing seat for a small child.

Uber -- Boardwalk to OKW, just as an example: XL $11.03, XL with child seat $18.86 -- so roughly $8 more.

Based on the little tests I've run, it seems the MV would be about double the regular XL fare, or around $22 for that short trip. For a longer trip, the differential will be greater.

That said, I agree with you that I would have more confidence in the MV than an Uber program that is being phased out. Personally, if I needed a child seat, I'd probably bring my own even though it's a hassle if you need a full-blown backward-facing seat for a small child.
Or if you need 2. It's those who need 2 who REALLY benefit from Minnie Van

I haven't tried the Minnie vans yet, not sure if we will. We have an inflatable booster seat for our son we use for traveling that works pretty well for Ubers. He's 4 now and 62 lbs and around 48", I think I read Florida law is they need to be in the booster until they are 6. Our next trip is in December and we are staying at Contemporary and I was planning on taking the Minnie Van for the Early Morning Magic at Hollywood Studios but if it's going to be twice as much as a regular Uber/Lyft I'm not sure. I get why Disney is ramping up the price, it just seems like they've ramped it up a lot over a short amount of time.

I just priced this trip
I'm at home in Tennessee
1B58EB72-731D-40D6-9DD7-6AD87CD7F415.png

• Vehicle Ownership
  • Insurance
  • Driver costs

Some of those points you listed also affect quality to an extent.

My car is fairly new, in good condition, and clean, but nothing special IMO. Nevertheless, I've received compliments from riders who remarked that they've ridden in other Ubers that were rather scruffy. I don't think that's the norm, but with a Minnie Van it's not a concern.

And we've all seen the reports of drivers who have limited English speaking skills, or can't find their way around WDW. Again, not a concern with Minnie Vans (I hope).

That’s really interesting, @JimMIA! I think @joelkfla is right that there is also an issue of quality, or at least of perceived quality.

I have been reading the Uber/Lyft thread, and it is clear that there are a lot of people who are not familiar with Uber/Lyft, or even with taxis. So Minnie Vans will reassure those people who believe they are safer (myself included, several weeks ago, before I learned about Uber). Add in the drop off perks at MK, and the car seat issue, and there will be plenty of people who just factor the cost increase into their vacation budget. For those who don’t want to drive, esp overseas guests, they would have to hike the prices significantly before it became not worth it.

I used Minnie Vans last year a few time when they first came out. Paid the $20 and it was worth it for me. As a single woman traveler, I liked them because I felt safer then with a standard ride share. All of my drivers were woman. I don't like the price increase at all, but I will probably use them a couple of times during my next trip. I use them when I have dinner reservations at other resorts.
This is a very good point for the use of Minnie Vans, even if the price were double that of Uber. I hadn't thought of that I guess because I am always with my husband, but this would be a wise choice for anyone who felt uneasy if they were alone at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter