Minnie Vans now charging flat fee plus mileage.

I don't think Disney is all too concerned about who does not use its Minnie Vans, but rather who does use them and if the MV's are producing the max amount of revenue. I think this is true of anything for Disney (and most companies). If a company's assets are being used to capacity (with Disney, resorts are full, parks are full, restaurants are full, MV are always busy), that is what matters to them. If they lose one customer, but pick up a new one, or maybe even two, they are fine with the single loss. Just my thoughts.

I think @joelkfla is right that there is also an issue of quality, or at least of perceived quality.
Sure. Especially with the companies now extending the life of permissible vehicles to 15 years. You will always have acceptable quality with MinnieVans. OTOH, if you come to Miami and luck into having me for a driver, you'll ride in a vehicle which is at least twice as nice as a MV.

I have been reading the Uber/Lyft thread, and it is clear that there are a lot of people who are not familiar with Uber/Lyft, or even with taxis. So Minnie Vans will reassure those people who believe they are safer (myself included, several weeks ago, before I learned about Uber). Add in the drop off perks at MK, and the car seat issue, and there will be plenty of people who just factor the cost increase into their vacation budget. For those who don’t want to drive, esp overseas guests, they would have to hike the prices significantly before it became not worth it.
Of course, and you'll notice that neither Joel nor I argue against MinnieVans. People should take whatever they are comfortable with.

Sure. Especially with the companies now extending the life of permissible vehicles to 15 years. You will always have acceptable quality with MinnieVans. OTOH, if you come to Miami and luck into having me for a driver, you'll ride in a vehicle which is at least twice as nice as a MV.

Of course, and you'll notice that neither Joel nor I argue against MinnieVans. People should take whatever they are comfortable with.

It was all the posts by you and Joel that made me feel comfortable with the idea of using Uber/Lyft. :) I just find the whole discussion interesting from a business point of view. Obviously Disney has invested a huge amount into the development and running costs of the Minnie Vans programme, and they clearly feel that the market will bear a price of twice that of Uber, yet the only people I can think of who would definitely benefit from it are those who need 2 car seats. So I wonder whether they will start to offer more incentives to Minnie Van users, other than being dropped at the MK entrance. They clearly don’t have the capacity to take all of Uber and Lyft’s customers in the parks, but they have to find a way of paying for the Vans, and you can only increase prices so far without increasing any perceived benefits.

We are still discussing visiting Miami (we are not sure exactly why, except we are rewatching Dexter and it looks beautiful), but I would be delighted if you were my Uber driver in Miami!

I guess if I was going to MK or FW, or if I had two kids in tow it might make financial sense, but at $2.75 per mile I'll save my money for other trips and beckon a Lyft driver without the polka dots. I don't fault Disney they have costs and they are not going to give this service away for free, but damn $2.75/mile.

We are still discussing visiting Miami (we are not sure exactly why, except we are rewatching Dexter and it looks beautiful), but I would be delighted if you were my Uber driver in Miami!
Miami is amazing; you really should come! We have finally evolved from a quaint little fishing village into a big-time big city, with all the amenities. Lots to see and do, regardless of what your interests are.

Here's a link to a site I use to keep up with everything that is going on in Miami: https://www.miamiscapes.com/index.html#.Wi_9NEqnFPY

It's a travel site, but it's obvious that they have lived in Miami for a long time, know all our ins and outs, and love our city -- from the pirates in the Keys, to the gators in the Everglades, to the nightlife on South Beach. And their calendar of events is THE best.

Miami is amazing; you really should come! We have finally evolved from a quaint little fishing village into a big-time big city, with all the amenities. Lots to see and do, regardless of what your interests are.

Here's a link to a site I use to keep up with everything that is going on in Miami: https://www.miamiscapes.com/index.html#.Wi_9NEqnFPY

It's a travel site, but it's obvious that they have lived in Miami, know all our ins and outs, and love our city -- from the pirates in the Keys, to the gators in the Everglades, to the nightlife on South Beach. And their calendar of events is THE best.

That’s brilliant - thank you! I will take a look now.

It looks like a really beautiful and interesting place, and we are seriously considering it. We could fly down early one morning and back to Orlando the next evening without too much extra hassle.

We just got back from Hollywood Studios. My above post shows we paid $34.52 to go from Contemporary to HS. The trip back was $29.76. Same pickup and drop off spots. How was one way almost $5 more?

69542BC1-B50A-4190-8956-E697FA18DB50.png

We just got back from Hollywood Studios. My above post shows we paid $34.52 to go from Contemporary to HS. The trip back was $29.76. Same pickup and drop off spots. How was one way almost $5 more?

View attachment 351113
Is the southbound flyover open yet, or did you still have to go past Poly on the way down? That, along with all the convolutions thru the construction, might add a mile or so to the distance compared to the trip back. It's also slightly longer taking the cloverleaf onto BVD as opposed to a direct right turn coming back, and a longer way around going into DHS and crossing over to the TV lot than exiting. I don't know whether all of that would add up to $5, but at almost $3 per mile, it might.

This is a very good point for the use of Minnie Vans, even if the price were double that of Uber. I hadn't thought of that I guess because I am always with my husband, but this would be a wise choice for anyone who felt uneasy if they were alone at Disney.

Honestly, I will still be using the service as planned for my trip next week. My daughter and I will be alone and I know what I'm getting with Minnie Vans and I've had some less than comfortable rides with Uber here in NY and in Orlando. Paying for convenience on vacation doesn't bother me and paying another $10 so I feel safe coming home late from the Halloween Party doesn't either. The old pricing model was better but it is what it is. I have a five-star rating and get 10% off weekday rides and I have around $70 worth of credits to use up.

Honestly, I will still be using the service as planned for my trip next week. My daughter and I will be alone and I know what I'm getting with Minnie Vans and I've had some less than comfortable rides with Uber here in NY and in Orlando. Paying for convenience on vacation doesn't bother me and paying another $10 so I feel safe coming home late from the Halloween Party doesn't either. The old pricing model was better but it is what it is. I have a five-star rating and get 10% off weekday rides and I have around $70 worth of credits to use up.
Very understandable use of the Minnie Vans. I would probably do the same thing if it were just me and my child, especially later at night.

Dang... but I totally understand why. I'm hoping this means it'll be easier to order one at peak times. It was nearly impossible to get one after galactic nights @ HS. I gave in and got a regular lyft.

Two different routes?
Nope. The only difference was the detour getting to the drop off/ pickup area in the parking lot. leaving was a straight shot. The parking at HS is a total mess right now but I don't see 2 miles difference. But the bottom line, it was our choice to take it or ride a bus and I am totally over the busses.

This is one of many reasons that I use it. Also, the convenience of going from one resort to another for dining or transfer.

Nope, upfront pricing. The price can vary somewhat based on demand. There was apparently more demand from the Contemporary than there was from HS.
This was a Minnie Van. Disney has announced they will be charged by mileage, not by Lyft's voodoo pricing.

I'm mildly surprised, I priced out Boardwalk to Pioneer Hall and it was only $26.10. I may stick with my plan to Minnie Van to Hoop next month, after all.

I'm mildly surprised, I priced out Boardwalk to Pioneer Hall and it was only $26.10. I may stick with my plan to Minnie Van to Hoop next month, after all.
Yeah, folks have jumped to assumed ALL trips are higher. They aren't. You have to check case by case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter