New policy for reservations based on check IN date

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've subscribed to the thread on the Mousecellaneous Board about results and have been following it even though I can't book my 2009 trip until next month. I have to say, I'm surprised - shocked may be a better word - that so many people are reporting that they're getting whatever they call for. I didn't actually count but there are a lot of successful concierge bookings listed - I think that's what shocks me the most. This is the category I'll be trying to book for August '09 so maybe I just notice those results more than anything else. It makes me slightly optismistic - but I'm still prepared to be unsuccessful.

I've subscribed to the thread on the Mousecellaneous Board about results and have been following it even though I can't book my 2009 trip until next month. I have to say, I'm surprised - shocked may be a better word - that so many people are reporting that they're getting whatever they call for. I didn't actually count but there are a lot of successful concierge bookings listed - I think that's what shocks me the most. This is the category I'll be trying to book for August '09 so maybe I just notice those results more than anything else. It makes me slightly optismistic - but I'm still prepared to be unsuccessful.

I think that will change when we get to a high demand time and when more members know about the change.

Denise in MI

I think that will change when we get to a high demand time and when more members know about the change.

Denise in MI

Yes, I suppose that could be partly true but there are just too few concierge villas (5 minimum/10 max) for a high demand time to matter. IMO they're in high demand all the time. It would be interesting to know (and we never will) how many members are actually aware of the new policy. We all knew before it was announced on the member website from this thread. How many non-DISers noticed it there in the "News" section before they needed to make a reservation? It's anybody's guess.

You know, I hadn't thought about the sheer number of members who won't even pay attention to the policy change....a combination of those who didn't get notification (ie. email went missing, member magazine didn't show up) and those who were notified but ignored it. How many people are still going to be trying to book at 11 (or 7) months from their check OUT date?

At least that gives an advantage to those of us who are aware. I did get a call from member satisfaction about the email I sent.... and they did say they were giving the recent complaints consideration...though it may have been a brush off it didn't seem like it. They seemed aware that this is a problem and wanted to confirm exactly what I found to be a problem with the new system....which I told them was that all members are no longer on equal footing when it comes to booking high demand reservations, those with more points can use the system to block out those who don't have the points to "walk" the reservation, and it allows the most persistent to practically guarantee a difficult reservation by walking it from a much less in demand time. Perhaps eventually they'll reverse their decision.

I haven't contacted Disney with issues often.... I think the last was when they stopped doing early entry for resort guests... and that was reinstated eventually. So here's hoping...

I do wonder if it wasn't members complaining about not being able to book full stays, but the cm's at the call center complaining that members would book incomplete stays. As someone said, its always been possible to book a complete stay with one call....when you called 11 (or 7) months from your check OUT date. Seriously, it worked fine for what? 16 years? LOL.

Hi Guys:

Have a question for you....

I can book 6 nights now (at 11 months out) for our trip next July....At 7 months I will have an extra 100 developer points to use for that trip in July...I will add 3 nights on to our trip at 7 months with those points....

So when can I call at 7 months with the developer points? Does the same rules apply with the whole 7 night stay thing?

Can I book the extra three nights one at a time from the 7+1 day month mark day of check-in? Or do I have to wait until the seventh day to call?

Hi Guys:

Can I book the extra three nights one at a time from the 7+1 day month mark day of check-in? Or do I have to wait until the seventh day to call?

I had a similar question a few pages back. I don't think anyone knows until it's been attempted.:confused3

I would love to hear if someone has tried and what their results were.:)

I had a similar question a few pages back. I don't think anyone knows until it's been attempted.:confused3

The developer points seems to be a big ? even for people that work for DVC....I asked a different question of my guide and a person at MS and got two different answers...Then I spoke with a head person over at DVC and got a third answer...So, I was told a note was being put on my account regarding the question and the third answer I was given...But to be honest I really did not fully understand the thrid answer and I think I am giving up with it....

The question was this: I have 282 points to book today at 11 months at SSR....At 7 months I will receive 100 more developer points at SSR...I would like to book what I can today just to make sure I have part of our trip booked BUT I don't really want to spend the entire trip at SSR...We would like to do a split stay....So the question becomes, can I book my SSR points today and apply the developer points to the days already booked at SSR (reallocate the points) and use the original 282 to apply to a different resort if there is one availbale to book at seven months?

Member services said no....You can not reallocate developer points....

Guide said you can...But then said he was not sure...He put me in touch with someone else over at DVC...

He said they will let me reallocate only if there is a completely different room at SSR availbale to book....He said I cannot apply the developer points to SSR dates I have booked unless there is a different room availbale...So I cannot cancel and rebook the same room....There is a good chance that another room will be available at SSR for the same dates, so I am not overly concerned...But it is all very confusing...And I am just not sure how difficult this is all going to be a few months from now...

:idea: I will ask the question about when I can call to apply the 100 developer points today when I call to book the 282 points...I will let you know what they say.

I think you are right about waiting until someone tries....I called MS today to book what I could...Asked about when to call back for the developer points...CM did not know for sure...He "thinks" it is at the exact day, 7 months before to add on using those developer points...He did not "think" it was for date of check-in....

But I plan to call based on check-in...The worst the can tell me is to call back in a few days...But just maybe I will get lucky and I will be able to add on then...

I too hope someone else can report back an actual experience :upsidedow

Hey guys, I need a bit of help. I called MS today and reserved 7 nights at BCV for next July 2009. I want an 8th night. I asked the MS guy, "Do I call back tomorrow to add on the 8th night?" He said, "No, you call back in a week at the 11 month mark of the 8th night." Is this true? Or do I call tomorrow?

Thanks so much
Diane

Hey guys, I need a bit of help. I called MS today and reserved 7 nights at BCV for next July 2009. I want an 8th night. I asked the MS guy, "Do I call back tomorrow to add on the 8th night?" He said, "No, you call back in a week at the 11 month mark of the 8th night." Is this true? Or do I call tomorrow?

Thanks so much
Diane
You can call tomorrow to add the night, though I believe you CAN wait the week, because the room would not be released in to inventory for anyone to book until then.

Made a 7 day reaservation for 4th of July and had no problem at all.

Thanksgiving and Christmas time will be interesting though.

Seems this thread has just about died, but I did want to confirm one of the knocks against the new system, in case it needed confirming.

We needed make a resrvation last week. Called, found two nights at SSR that we wanted, and then lost it while the MS rep took two minutes to look at my other DVC contract so we could decide which points to use.

I specifically asked the MS rep if the old system would have allowed her to grab those two nights and hold them while we checked on points. She said yes. So, specifically because of the new system I lost a couple of nights I would have had if the old system was in place.

No big deal on this one as it wasn't a crucial reservation and I worked something else out, but this seems to be further proof that certain aspects of the new system can make it more difficult to complete a reservation.

Seems this thread has just about died, but I did want to confirm one of the knocks against the new system, in case it needed confirming.

We needed make a resrvation last week. Called, found two nights at SSR that we wanted, and then lost it while the MS rep took two minutes to look at my other DVC contract so we could decide which points to use.

I specifically asked the MS rep if the old system would have allowed her to grab those two nights and hold them while we checked on points. She said yes. So, specifically because of the new system I lost a couple of nights I would have had if the old system was in place.

No big deal on this one as it wasn't a crucial reservation and I worked something else out, but this seems to be further proof that certain aspects of the new system can make it more difficult to complete a reservation.

You didn't know what points you wanted to use? Couldn't/shouldn't you have figured that out before you called and then you wouldn't have lost those tow nights. That's not a sytem fault, it's a personal fault. Sorry but that's how I see it.

You didn't know what points you wanted to use? Couldn't/shouldn't you have figured that out before you called and then you wouldn't have lost those tow nights. That's not a sytem fault, it's a personal fault. Sorry but that's how I see it.

That's kind of harsh. He may have known what points to use but the rep still needed to locate it. The system should hold the nights for a couple minutes. Like when you buy tickets online, they are held for 2 or 3 minutes while you complete the transaction.

I don't think it's harsh. When I call, I know what points I'm using and what contract they are coming from. There is no looking around my account, I say I want this room, from this daye to this date and I want to use my banked 2007 points or my developer points or whatever. If you have more than one contract, It is easy enough to see online where you have points before you call and tell MS while they are on the phone.

I think it's wrong that she is blaming it on the new system, when in fact it could have happened before. Rooms disappear all the time before they can be booked. It happens.

That's kind of harsh. He may have known what points to use but the rep still needed to locate it. The system should hold the nights for a couple minutes. Like when you buy tickets online, they are held for 2 or 3 minutes while you complete the transaction.
I'm sure it wasn't meant to be harsh. But the idea that one should be in charge of their own points and be able to whip through the instructions is an important one. Don't leave anything to chance to allow them to make an error over what you wishes and needs are. The call should go something like this.

HI, my name is XXX and my DVC # is 1000000 (if you have multiple only give them the right one). I want to reserve OKW arrival 1 Jan, 2009 for 7 nights departing 8 Jan in a 1 BR. I currently have 100 banked points and 200 current UY points. That reservation should be 150 points (example), please use the banked points first and then bank the remaining 150 points to give me no remaining 2008 points and 350 2009 points
If you have multiple contracts under that UY, be specific as to which points, balances, etc for that as well. In some instances an extra 5-10 seconds may be the difference in success and failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter