• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*****Official April 2020 thread*****

I was holding off as long as I could cancelling. But I think the reality is that I need to cancel my April 22 visit. I'm so sad. This was going to be our BIG trip - 11 days at AKL. We are from Canada and I think that even if the resort will be open, we might not be able allowed to cross the border. I rented points through DVC. I really hope that I can get new dates or a refund. I have no idea how this is going to work.

Losing hope fast for end of April with the new CDC recommendation to limit group gatherings >50 people for the next 8 weeks... comforting myself today by booking back-up dates in June and September. But I really want April!!!

Same here, I'm due to leave on April 20; though I'm trying to stay optimistic, I believe that unless there's a miracle, pretty much everything is going to stay closed through April in this country.

I'm not cancelling yet, but I suspect I ultimately will be.

I share the sadness of everyone who is cancelling. I planned and saved for this trip to celebrate my retirement. we were supposed to arrive April 21. Since we postponed to October, I feel a lot of relief, less stress but the disappointment is there.

I'm still holding out a very small hope for the end of April. This was our big "we've successfully graduated all three kids form college trip", and our first trip in 10 years. I was so looking forward to having everyone together. DD starts a masters program in August, and we won't have another real opportunity for two years. By then, we may need our money for weddings and/or grandchildren, lol. My mom is DVC, so we are using her points. I hope we can reschedule if it doesn't work out.

That CDC announcement yesterday to cancel large events and mass gatherings for "the next 8 weeks" puts things at 5/11 :eeyore:

President Trump just announced no more then 10 people together and also that this may not even by July/August. I thought for sure July would be safe. Wow. I honestly don’t even know what to say. This is all so sad.

Aaaaand we're out. Rescheduled for July (which might also be overly optimistic!)

Several things today were pretty sobering and pushed us to make the decision:
1. DH has a direct report that is waiting for a call back from her doctor, she has been coughing and low-grade fevery over the weekend. Um, yikes.
2. My parents live in a retirement community in FL, they got a notice today that a man in the community next to theirs passed from COVID-19, super social guy with underlying health issues. Apparently he was involved with the shuffleboard and bingo that both communities play together...my parents don't play either but they have friends that do.
3. DS is in the middle of driver's ed, they've cancelled all classes and sessions until May.
4. The 50 person guideline that late in the day turned to a 10 person guideline.

Wishing good health and successful rescheduling to all of you and your families! Stay safe friends!

Wife told me to go ahead and pull the plug for the April 19th trip, but man, I spent so much time planning it. Got everything to line up. Was going to end with watching the fireworks at the California Grill the last night which I was going to make a surprise. I literally spent hours planning this, practicing getting a BG for RoTR.

It feels surreal. Maybe these are 1st world issues, but who knew we would be fighting a pandemic. What a crazy thing to be living through.

Even though I now have a May, June and July trip reserved, I am holding out hope for April. I am still able to modify FP+ and dining so either they are teasing or no one really knows what's going to happen. Working on our May Dining right now. 6 days till FP+! LOL Got to laugh to keep from crying 😞

Even though I now have a May, June and July trip reserved, I am holding out hope for April. I am still able to modify FP+ and dining so either they are teasing or no one really knows what's going to happen. Working on our May Dining right now. 6 days till FP+! LOL Got to laugh to keep from crying 😞

My 'backup' May trip has FP day tomorrow. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone, I already did this!

My backup trip is now next February- not going in summer and after that kids have school schedules!

Sad to missing Spaceship Earth this year....

Wife told me to go ahead and pull the plug for the April 19th trip, but man, I spent so much time planning it. Got everything to line up. Was going to end with watching the fireworks at the California Grill the last night which I was going to make a surprise. I literally spent hours planning this, practicing getting a BG for RoTR.

It feels surreal. Maybe these are 1st world issues, but who knew we would be fighting a pandemic. What a crazy thing to be living through.

I enjoy the planning, so I look on the bright side that we get to look forward to another trip in the future. I'm not sure how much I would enjoy vacation in April anyway- too much to worry about. I just cancelled our CLFPs for April and look forward to a trip over the summer.

My backup will most likely be an early December trip, but unfortunately it may end up being a solo one if I do go as my niece and best friend most likely won't be able to get the time off from work.

Or I may just wait until 2021 and try again. We were considering a trip out to DL in October, maybe that will be my Disney fix for 2020.

Still holding out unreasonable hope for April 21 - 28, hey, I just found that reservation for CA Grill brunch on the 26th!

We are most likely out as well but can't bear to cancel just yet. But already thinking ahead for next April 2021 during our spring break.

I had been unaware of renting the DVC points so that has me intrigued to pursue that route for our next trip - but as I've investigated it - it appears to be very unforgiving with cancellations. I know that for this COVID-19 situation they are working with people but I am worried that obviously no one saw this whole thing coming and if something catastrophic happens again I don't want to be in a situation where we will lose money.

I know this is not the DVC board but just wondering what others experiences have been - would you go that route knowing that it might be tricky to get out of your reservation?

We are most likely out as well but can't bear to cancel just yet. But already thinking ahead for next April 2021 during our spring break.

I had been unaware of renting the DVC points so that has me intrigued to pursue that route for our next trip - but as I've investigated it - it appears to be very unforgiving with cancellations. I know that for this COVID-19 situation they are working with people but I am worried that obviously no one saw this whole thing coming and if something catastrophic happens again I don't want to be in a situation where we will lose money.

I know this is not the DVC board but just wondering what others experiences have been - would you go that route knowing that it might be tricky to get out of your reservation?

That's why I've never ended up renting points, the cancellation policy is not nearly as stringent as booking directly through Disney. You never know what can happen.

That's why I've never ended up renting points, the cancellation policy is not nearly as stringent as booking directly through Disney. You never know what can happen.
Thank you for your input - so when does Disney typically (I know they are not business as normal these days) open up for reservations for hotels? I thought it was 499 days - do I have to call for those dates? I can't seem to book past the end of this year.

Thank you for your input - so when does Disney typically (I know they are not business as normal these days) open up for reservations for hotels? I thought it was 499 days - do I have to call for those dates? I can't seem to book past the end of this year.
Yes you can book 499 days out from your check out date but you have to call if you book that early, the online system does not go that far out

As a March person who went 3/12-13 (originally supposed to be an additional day), can I be blunt to the April people and say that you really don't want to go during this time, even if things improve. It's very stressful to 2nd guess anytime someone coughs or to find yourself on a crowded bus, or worry about if you've sufficiently cleaned your hands. The parks did not (imo) have enough hand washing stations or sanitizing gel dispensers. Or when you have to hit the PIN at a cash register and know 1000 people have already done that (we started using a wipe or napkin and then used gel following). I could go on and on.

The rides were a joy (we only did 1 ride that wasn't a FP) but the in-between was stressful. I literally kept my hands together in front of me in every line as to not touch a railing. It's not the way to do WDW.

I'm annoyed that we went instead of just rescheduling to the fall (or whenever).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter