OK DISers. Do you know someone personally that has the Virus?

Do You know someone personally with the Virus?

• yes

Votes: 273 55.3%
  • no

Votes: 203 41.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 3.6%

• Total voters
We (my husband, myself, several in my close neighborhood) here in central Florida were all sick with the same symptoms, starting about 3 weeks ago. We were told to not go to urgent care or to the doctor as we would not be tested unless we had traveled internationally, shown symptoms, and had someone in close contact who also had symptoms.

So we were never tested, but many of us had contact with a man who travels frequently internationally, and he was sick about 10 days before us. No way to know if we had it or not, but he flew in/out of Tampa and several on those flights have been confirmed.

I know one family and know another family who tested positive that I had minimal contact with. Another family I had extensive contact with is quarantined pending test results. Tested negative for flu A and B and symptoms match.

No, any known cases in my state the identity is not being given out at this point publicly at least and at this point--those who are thought to have been exposed have been contacted. So I may know a person but not be told they have it as I haven't had exposure to them.

The most recent case announced a few hours ago, considered the 8th, is a parent of a child who goes to a neighboring school district. They've released what elementary school the child attended, that the family is now in self-quarantine and that they will stay that there until the quarantine is up returning to school only when that time is up. That's all.

Yes. I work in several different hospital systems. According to the news, there have been no "confirmed " cases in my county, but every single hospital has cases of patients that are testing positive. So whether it's a case of not reporting, a lag in the data being released, or waiting on additional confirmation and/or information from the hospitals to the state agencies; there is way more out there now than what is being reported. These are cases that are severe enough to require hospitalization, not even those released home.

No, Not personally (yet)
I did return from a cruise in late January and came down with something that had similar symptoms (fever, sore throat, shortness of breath, dry cough). It quickly ran through my immediate family and even spread to my infant grandson who does not live with me and had a travel ban imposed by his parents for 1 week after I came back from my cruise 😂 thankfully we are all recovered now.

All I could think about was how the guy behind me during disembarkation kept coughing on my neck.

Weeelllllll....in several degrees of Kevin Bacon, maybe.

The mother of a friend of a friend has it. Also, a friend's wife (who is a nurse) came in contact with another nurse who treated a patient who later tested positive.

So, no, not really.

DW's elderly aunt (uncle's wife) in Italy died last week from the virus, and her cousin (the woman's daughter) has tested positive. DW says I met these people back in 2014, but I don't recall. We saw so many of her extended family there it's hard to remember them all.

DW is in touch with some other cousins in Italy and they're adjusting to the nationwide quarantine. Grocery stores and pharmacies are still open, but practically all other stores and restaurants are closed.

Be safe everyone. Everything feels so unsettled with so much unknown and misinformation.
My gut tells us, overall we will be ok. Take care of each other and practice good hygiene. Love to you all.

For the record, I don't know anyone with coronavirus yet. Our small city has no confirmed cases. But Canada has taken great steps to slow down the spread. It seems extreme, but I'm grateful if it saves lives.

Not personally but someone in my work building was diagnosed. I work on the 1st floor, they work on the 11th.
Same with us. 1 case last week at our company. We are all Now in home office and split into red and blue teams. For those who have to physically be at work, building is split into red/ blue team floors and you cannot habe physical contact with the other team.

Possibly. DH got a work email that said several people in his company tested positive. However, the email did not give any information about where these people worked (departments? locations?), so no one knows if they were exposed or not. We do know someone who tested positive recently. Went to the ER with a suspected fracture and started a fever and cough a day or two later. This person is not high risk and is reportedly having mild symptoms.

no

12 cases in the state

DDIL and her mother just cancelled their cruise for the end of April. Doctor's orders because of her mother's medical condition (including bad lungs)

How was your cruise, Nancy? :boat:

Our cruise was great.........great ports, small ship, nice crew.
But got word the night before we arrived back the ship (as many others was docked for a month). I feel so sorry for the people that were doing back to back and those that arrived the night before and then find out they are not sailing.

So, I am on the team that is helping to manage my company's response to this in the US. So far we have between 5-10 suspected cases in the US, but none has traveled internationally and none has come into contact with a known COVID case, so none has been allowed to be tested.

Think about that - still, as of today, you cannot get tested even if you show all of the symptoms of this unless you have traveled internationally or been exposed to someone known to have it. I think that NY is the lone exception because they decided to walk away from the US testing altogether and follow their own protocols (none of our cases is in NY). The bolded part is a self-fulfilling circle of madness. You can't get tested unless you know someone who had this, but they can't know because they also can't get tested. Madness.

My company's response - shut down all of our offices. We have hundreds of offices in America, and we have shut them all down. We are going to protect our employees the best way that we can.

@BuckeyeBama
thats crazy, in my my country, Ireland this is the advice, currently we have 2 deaths and less than 100 cases in a population of 4.5 million

https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...virus-and-think-you-need-a-test-39031425.html
What to do if you're worried you have coronavirus and think you need a test

Q: I suffer coughs, fever and breathing difficulties. I am worried I have the coronavirus. Where can I get a test?

A: You have to be risk-assessed before being referred for a test. Your GP cannot provide the test in the surgery.

Q: What should I do?

A: Ring your GP and describe your symptoms.

If the GP has clinical concerns they will contact HSE public health doctors.

It is only a public health doctor who can request a test. If they give the go ahead you will be asked to provide a swab which will be sent to a laboratory for analysis.

Previously the criteria for a test was confined to
  • People who had symptoms and who were abroad in a country which was listed as high-risk.
  • People with symptoms who had been in close contact for more than 15 minutes with someone who was positive would also be considered for a test.
Now it includes
  • Someone with symptoms who attended for work in a healthcare facility abroad where patients with the virus were being treated.
  • A patient with an acute mild respiratory infection - including at least one of the following: fever, shortness of breath or cough - could be considered as potentially suitable for a test.
  • If the patient has a fever of unknown cause with no other symptoms they could also be deemed a risk.

I think Norht East Ohio has 3-4 million people, last I heared 5 have it, I dont know them
They believe 100,000 of us Ohioans are carrying it. And I'm going to tell you many of us are currently sick. I'm currently in line for a Covid-19 drive-thru test downtown CLE at the clinic. Testing begins in an hour with a doctor's order and it is filling up FAST.

Eta: there are at least 13 cases in NE ohio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter